• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Me: Well, at least if Chief doesn't show up at E3 I will be able to hang the towel before getting my hopes up for the final fighter.
Vergeben: Not so fast there.

For real, thank god I didn't see this leak before watching this direct, my expectations were kept in check, if I went in expecting Chief I think my mood rn would be ruined lmao.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Vergeben is still someone worth watching. I'd just be surprised if we still got Master Chief after him not showing up at E3.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Ugh, I don’t know what to think. Vergeben hasn’t been wrong about Smash AFAIK. This is the first time he’s outright stated a character since Hero/Banjo. Other insiders have been all weird about Chief for the last year & a half too.

But at the same time, this dude was mad confident it was happening today. So it could be wrong.

The Community guy thing is iffy too. Maybe MS told him to send that Tweet out or maybe he did it on his own accord without knowing anything. I know a Mojang community manager was making fun of the idea of Steve in Smash before he was revealed. So they might not know this stuff. 🤷

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He hasn't said anything that turned out wrong since Terry, not Hero.

That said, we'll have to wait and see. Master Chief may be coming. Or, you know, he got a bad source again. It happens.

Note that I'm not really counting Steve in the same situation, since he didn't actually leak him as DLC. He only knew he was possibly coming, but also noted he wasn't leaked him as a full character, but Minecraft in general. It turns out he was given real information, and it explains why it was vague. Cause it was still in talks for a long time, though it's possible Steve and Sephiroth were coming as is, but then got changed up to be in the Second Pass.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I mean it took years for Vergeben's "Minecraft content" leak to come true. Not seeing Chief today was a hit but I'm not sure why we'd give up right now. Closest we have to a deconfirm is the 343 Manager, and even then we also had a Mojang Community Manager dismiss Steve. However, Verge has had an iffy track record outside of Smash. So it's not out of the realm of possibility he could be peddling some misinfo, he's been right about Smash thus far, but that doesn't mean he'll be forever right about everything.

Overall, it's hard to tell what to make of this.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Reminder that Vergeben has been wrong since Hero.
Yes, but I am talking about the data miner. Nikki, I think? She made her Twitter private now. But, basically, she did find Metroid V and Master Chief. She's been reliable, right? So, hopefully, we will at least see the MCC at some point on the Switch. I'm not sure what else it could be other than Chief in Smash or MCC on Switch. Sounds like good stuff, either way.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I wonder if this is similar to Steve where Verge heard about the character years before he actually gets in. He could’ve heard about negotiations to get Chief into the next Smash or something.

I’d prefer if Chief was the last character, but that’d be better than Verge straight up lying or being fed wrong info.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah. And, I mean, if you think Master Chief is getting in the game, you would assume E3 is the place to announce it, right? Like, makes sense to me? Maybe it was just an assumption. Everyone on Smashboards, including myself, thought it was E3 or bust for him. Feels like there is still a chance now?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Boy am I glad I wasn't paying attention to leaks and run across the Vergeben Master Chief leak, otherwise I'd probably be pretty disappointed too.

But hey, maybe Master Chief will be CP11? I don't know how possible it is that Verge could get character info months before their release with how tight-fisted Nintendo has been with Smash leaks, but it isn't completely impossible I guess...

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah. And, I mean, if you think Master Chief is getting in the game, you would assume E3 is the place to announce it, right? Like, makes sense to me? Maybe it was just an assumption. Everyone on Smashboards, including myself, thought it was E3 or bust for him. Feels like there is still a chance now?
It could be tied into rumors that have been floating around of Microsoft & Nintendo announcing a collab in the fall. I saw some insiders say that after Spencer had the Switch on his shelf.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yes, but I am talking about the data miner. Nikki, I think? She made her Twitter private now. But, basically, she did find Metroid V and Master Chief. She's been reliable, right? So, hopefully, we will at least see the MCC at some point on the Switch. I'm not sure what else it could be other than Chief in Smash or MCC on Switch. Sounds like good stuff, either way.
Hopefully she didn't get attacked for being wrong... though technically she never said MC for smash, she just say his name in some sort of data. For all we know it could be the master Chief collection

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Until the final character is revealed there's still a chance.
I don't expect it at all but nothing's over until it's really over.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hopefully she didn't get attacked for being wrong... though technically she never said MC for smash, she just say his name in some sort of data. For all we know it could be the master Chief collection
Yeah, I hope not either. She never said what, just what she found. Just because it didn't show up today doesn't mean that it isn't something.

EDIT: So, was just thinking about this and didn't see anyone respond yet, so I wanted to go ahead and add some more to this. Firstly, do we think that the Halo Community Manger would know if Chief was getting into Smash Ultimate? Is that a thing that Community Managers of most companies know? Was just curious as to what everyone thought.

Second, I wanted to look at this tweet closely.

I find it odd that he used the word "Today." I'm not saying that it means something, like at all. I am just saying that it is just enough of a loop hole to give me hope. And, it also just gives that little bit of wiggle room to make him still talked about. Just something I found interesting.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Alright, can anyone tell me if Vergeben has posted anything about Master Chief outside of what he says in this thread?

I ask this because, as someone who didn't see the leak firsthand (I tried to go into E3 with no spoilers) I was told Vergeben was ultra confident Chief would appear at E3. However, he never says in this thread that Chief will appear at E3, just that he's coming to Smash eventually. So overall the leak still seems like it's in play, is there anything I'm missing here? I've heard people say "How could he know CP11 but not CP10" which is funny because we've had the exact same situation before, where Vergeben knew about Hero but not Joker, even though Joker released before Hero.

There's also the situation with the 343 Community Director, but I don't really see this as a disconfirm either. He says he doesn't expect anything Chief/Smash related for E3, not that Chief isn't coming in Smash. And frankly I'm not even sure Community Directors are a great source when it comes to predicting Smash reveals. Here is a Mojang Community Director discussing Steve
1623794223491.png

I couldn't find her original tweet (It's deleted and Internet Archive is currently offline) but the context here is that Aubrey Norris is saying she doesn't think Steve will happen. We know that talks with Steve happened for around 5 years. So Community Directors are not the greatest source for who is and isn't in Smash. What I'm saying is, nothing about Brian Jarrard's tweet screams disconfirmation to me.

I hope this doesn't come off as desperate. If you have info which dents any of my arguments, please tell me, I'd love to rip this band-aid off and just not go into CP11 expecting Master Chief, however I really am not seeing any compelling arguments for why we should completely discount his chances, and I feel like we're being incredibly hasty in all this.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's not so much Vergeben, who could be right about Chief but wrong about the timing, it's the 343 community director's statement that is the worse sign. People can lie, but that should never be the first assumption. I'm taking him at face value, which typically proves to indicate the truth of the situation.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It's not so much Vergeben, who could be right about Chief but wrong about the timing, it's the 343 community director's statement that is the worse sign. People can lie, but that should never be the first assumption. I'm taking him at face value, which typically proves to indicate the truth of the situation.
To be fair, the Mojang community manager didn't know about Steve getting in either.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
If Chief is the last character I'm really curious as to how they would reveal him. I could see things coming full circle at TGA, but would they really wait 6 months to give us the last character? The only other time it took that long during Ultimate's DLC was between Byleth and Min Min, and that was during the height of the pandemic.

A TGA reveal is certainly possible, but I personally think we'll just get a Sakurai presents dropped where he'll announce the character like he did with Byleth and Steve. It's really hard to see MC being revealed during a general direct, but that did happen with Cloud.

I guess we'll just have to see... Sigh...

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'm so sorry for what happened today. I'm sure you all are saddened by this happening.
If I had read the "leak" before the direct, I would have been extremely disappointed.

Reasoning a bit: Vergeben could have a correct source but the incorrect timing, yes... but since earlier than his statement (if I pieced together correctly) there was the datamine by Nikkei, I think that Vergeben just piggybacked what Nikkei said to have found, in order to restore his dramatically declining legacy. He went all in and he lost everything. So, this time I don't consider Vergeben as informed about the facts.
Still, there is Nikkei's datamine. It should mean something (unless she was lying). And, I mean, E3 was the perfect scene to reveal MC, indeed, but it's even more PERFECT the line "Master Chief finishes the fight", and I don't think that it's true that smash revealing cycles end and must end always on a lower note. On the contrary, I think they will end with a decent note, if not with the highest possible one!

I think there is still residual hope for Master Chief. The community manager tweet doesn't mean necessarily too much. They MUST lie to muddle the waters, if they know something (and we don't know for sure if he knows this thing). Surprise effect is fundamental. I don't think it's a coincidence Kazuya's trailer opened up with Ganondorf: it was mainly (maybe not only, I admit) because they know we all were expecting BotW2 news. Koizumi and Takahashi had just said they were going to show up games releasing this year. So all was made to induce people to believe, at least for some seconds, that trailer was fro BotW2. Then, the surprise.

I think MC is still possible. Of course it isn't guaranteed, the last character could be literally everyone for whatever reason, and of course 343 community manager CAN said the truth (reguarding as his knowledges). But let's not despair. Don't expect him, but still don't despair. We will see

If Cheif is the last character I'm really curious as to how they would reveal him. I could see things coming full circle at TGA, but they really wait 6 months to give us the last character? The only other time it took that long during Ultimate's DLC was between Byleth and Min Min, and that was during the height of the pandemic.

A TGA reveal is certainly possible, but I personally think we'll just a Sakurai presents dropped where he'll announce the character like he did with Byleth and Steve. It's really hard to see MC being revealed during a general direct, but that did happen with Cloud.

I guess we'll just have to see... Sigh...
I'm absolutely sure they will have a smash only presentation, dedicated to the reveal of the last character, and that presentation will be the trailer of the character and immediately after the last "Sakurai presents" begins. I expect an (almost) immediate release that very same day or the day after, too

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Honestly, I felt iffy about E3 reveal because one of the insiders said we should expect Microsoft x Nintendo collaboration this fall, not summer.
I guess my hunch was right. Vergeben's Minecraft content took awhile to come true.
I think MS x Nintendo stuff may have taken just as long as Minecraft. Most likely shorter.
And Vergeben isn't the only source of rumor.

There is still King Zell who seems more reliable than Vergeben. He kept pushing that "Mario on Playstation" will happen. He came back and said that Banjo and Cuphead were not that. He must be very confident when he came back much later to reinforce his view.
Kazuya killed "franchise that got dlc Mii costume can't have fighter" assumption. Hopefully, "Smash ends on low note" gets killed too.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So apparently Vergeben leaked that the 4 BOTW champions were coming too in that same Reddit post about MC. It's looking like we can't count on him anymore.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So apparently Vergeben leaked that the 4 BOTW champions were coming too in that same Reddit post about MC. It's looking like we can't count on him anymore.
That hymm was more at Halo's "We are Champions" line than 4 BOTW champions from what I've heard.

Anyway, I think it makes more sense to reveal Chief along with Gamepass on Switch.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I really hope Nintendo wasn’t using Chief as leakbait. That’s really awful to his fans. Also probably not a smart thing to do when the relationship with Microsoft is still new.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I was really expecting to stop having hope if Chief wasn’t revealed at E3…. But I’ll keep hoping, things have been too weird lately. But I won’t believe so heavily that I get blindsided if we end up with a more tame reveal.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Let's just chill and enjoy Halo Infinite ride. Treat Smash inclusion as cherry on top if that happens.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Best way to take it. I didn’t let the earlier interview thing with Doomguy ruin the Doom Eternal ride for me. Halo and Chief will still similarly be having good times again soon, Smash or no Smash.

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
Hi everyone. I am new to Smashboards so pardon me. I have an interesting case for yall and this will probably get lost in the Smashboards posts. But I have a strong case to believe Chief is the final character in Smash. Today was the day Vergeben implies Chief was coming to Smash Ultimate. Specifically for E3. Well, it didn't end up happening and ended up being Kayuza. However, there is a strong case that Chief is the final fighter in this pass. But first, let me claim this before I start. Vergeben was NOT the first to imply Chief. He was the third to bring evidence to this. The first evidence was with a Switch modder.

This appeared in Forest Maze discord before it was unpinned. A switch modder (keeping name unknown for its safety. let's say started the Switch mod trend), posted an unknown source telling 4 things going down. It encrypted 4 of the codes, the first code being bait, but the rest of them revealed except 1 being hidden due to difficult encrypting. Two of them revealed being Metroid V and Master Chief (just Master Chief alone). Metroid V DID happen in the direct recently, renaming it to Metroid Dread. Believing the Chief coding more food to thought. I would've posted the tweets of this alone, but they were deleted due to Nintendo Ninjas lurking.

Shortly after, a Resetera moderator posted this.

As claimed in the 1st post, a Resetera moderator posted this. This was the 2nd evidence. Vergeben came in as the 3rd evidence lastly. Vergeben did leaked Chief yes, but he did not imply this to be at E3. None of this comment implies this to be at E3.

However, some of yall seem to forget Vergeben's credibility. He got all of his Smash predictions correct. Only 1 of them is disproven and the other in question. The disproven being Square being first DLC, and the in-question being Chief. But most of his leaks did indeed happened. Even with his Minecraft post, it still happened. It just takes time to make it happen. The timing is poor sure, but it does not make him any less credible at the slightest.

Anyways, this was posted up,

This can either be a good or bad sign for Chief. But some people claimed to be bad due to not hearing this info. However, those same people also seem to forget this event happening. Link: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77618871

Both of these people are community managers at their own respected games, Minecraft and Halo. However, the Minecraft CM also did not hear anything for Steve, yet Steve happened. This can be the same case for Chief. Community managers aren't reliable in terms of knowing Smash info. That I believe should be Phil. This can also be an act of deflection. As Grant Kirkhope did with Banjo-Kazooie. Funny how all of this relates to Microsoft, huh lol?

In conclusion, Chief may not be revealed today, but his chances of happening are boosted significantly up from 50% to 95% (the other 5 being odd). But with this evidence in mind, Chief will be able to make an appearance in some form. There is a chance he could become mii costume (if it happens in Kayuza's Presentation), but I find it to be unlikely. We have yet received an FPS rep as well as somewhat of a western pick this year. Chief would also make sense to finish off this fighter pass with his signature "FInish The Fight" slogan. And do not forget Phil Spencer's shelf theory. Because that is not confirmed to be Game Pass and this collaboration happening in the fall, which lines well with the ending of this fighter pass. We may have won regardless of the E3 reveal.

If this post requests to be taken down, I will gladly do so since I'm new to Smashboards and trying not to get banned lmao. I hope I have given all of the Chief followers/believers some hope and confidence. Do not forget to finish the fight and keep believing and hoping.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m not sure if I think the Jawmuncher part is a hint. I follow Jaw on Twitter (& they follow me back actually), they’re a Halo fan & I think they were just posting something they wanted to happen.

The Dataminer part is very interesting though. I hope they can find more info. It’s possible that Nintendo put in some of Chief’s stuff while putting up Kazuya & the other E3 info.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Someone just told me that Steve is not in the same situation because Mojang CM said during FP1, not FP2... do you buy that?

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Say what you want about vergeben, he is still a very credible leaker. The fact he said that still has me thinking. To be honest, I didnt even know this leak happened but even then, I knew for a fact chief wasnt going to be revealed at E3. If Chief was going to be a fighter in the game, it has to be the last fighter reveal. "Master chief finishes the fight" to me is the perfect way to finish off this game. It has that sense of an finale or an ultimate resolution. For him to be revealed at this years E3 doesnt make sense when we have one more fighter. MC is a gaming icon and i dont know who would top him in terms of hype after that. We would have to wait and see if Mr. Veg hints at anything else. A man can dream but we still have one more fighter so im not giving up hope just yet. I really do hope ver is hinting towards the future. Not getting my hopes up though

Honestly it makes sense if MC got in smash a few days before halo infinite to hype the game even more ( which it will )

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
That hymm was more at Halo's "We are Champions" line than 4 BOTW champions from what I've heard.

Anyway, I think it makes more sense to reveal Chief along with Gamepass on Switch.
I'm a little conflicted on it, but judge for yourselves:
Screenshot_20210616-084816_Chrome.jpg

I just think it's a pretty big coincidence for him to type out a song about Champions in 4 lines.

Who knows though, maybe it was?

When you say the "Halo line" do you mean this:

Top Bottom