• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'd say either Crash or Rayman would fit that bill
What I meant by a “reverse” Banjo is a smaller but massively requested character that’s largely popular in Japan with some western support. Like how Banjo was a smaller but massively requests that was largely popular in the war with some Japanese support.

Maybe a Tales of character? I’m not sure.

Well it depends if "everyone" going crazy includes Japan as well, because there aren't many western characters that can accomplish that. My post was more about popular characters from a global perspective, because your list might have more "big" ones, but we get what... two or three, maybe four of those a game? So whether you want to look at all the Japanese characters with notable global appeal or just the biggest ones, that list still has us set for... like two more Smash Bros without even needing to tap into the west.

Obviously they will continue to go west. And there are big western characters. Though, granted, that appeal often comes at the exclusion of Japan, which doesn't help the cases of those in that situation. My point isn't that we won't get western characters, it's that the Japanese supply is not as dire as it's made out to be.

And to the argument that "Japan is only a fraction of the audience", that's true, but it cuts both ways. The west is a fraction of the audience as well. A bigger fraction, but the thing is - you don't need to choose characters that only really appeal to one or the other, because there are still a good many that appeal to both. Which is why those that appeal largely one way are likely to be few and far between.
That’s why I think it’d be in their best interests to mix & match. Have the likes of Chief, Crash, Lara & Ezio be the big guns, while smaller characters like 2B, Sol & Kiryu can add some flavor to the roster.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
And to the argument that "Japan is only a fraction of the audience", that's true, but it cuts both ways. The west is a fraction of the audience as well. A bigger fraction, but the thing is - you don't need to choose characters that only really appeal to one or the other, because there are still a good many that appeal to both. Which is why those that appeal largely one way are likely to be few and far between.
Thr thing is Halo dwarf most of series that appeal to Japan. Nintendo gets more potential new players from west that can more than compensate for Japan issue.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
All I can say that my dream team for E3 would be both Lloyd Irving and Master Chief as the final two. I think it'd be the perfect everybody wins East and West both but also if a first party made it instead, Isaac or Waluigi are among the most wanted and it would be epic to see an AT promoted in the same game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if Infinite isn't the best game in the series, there's still hope for Chief in Smash. Now is not the time for despair

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Not as confident about Master Chief getting in Smash as I was the other day, if so, we would have heard a hint today
Not really?
Microsoft aren't gonna say a thing about someone else's show and Insiders very clearly aren't getting info about Nintendo events until extremely close to the event itself, if they even get any since Nintendo clamped down

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Not really?
Microsoft aren't gonna say a thing about someone else's show and Insiders very clearly aren't getting info about Nintendo events until extremely close to the event itself, if they even get any since Nintendo clamped down
True, if Chief is coming to Smash, Microsoft will probably tell us to watch the Nintendo Direct on Twitter the day before

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
One of the insiders said Microsoft x Nintendo collaboration will happen this fall. So, I guess we shouldn't expect any news related to that during E3.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
First off, man, I really enjoyed the brief look at Halo: Infinite. With multiplayer being shown off more tomorrow? I'm even more hyped. Let Xbox show off the rest of their games, and give Halo's multiplayer a space to shine!

Tomorrow, we will get to see some multiplayer action. Tuesday? Who knows???

MagnesD3

Smash Master
While I hope we can just rip the band-aid off and get a Chief reveal on the 15th, that petty part of me is hoping Chief is the last character just so we could get "Master Chief finishes the fight" as his splash screen tag.

I mean come on, it's too perfect!
This is why I personally hope it's just crash this e3 and chief is saved for later in the year.

exlk

Smash Rookie
Halo Infinite multiplayer via the overview looks so promising! I can't wait for the entire game! Hoping for Master Chief to make his roaring debut in Smash tomorrow as well! :D

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
While I hope we can just rip the band-aid off and get a Chief reveal on the 15th, that petty part of me is hoping Chief is the last character just so we could get "Master Chief finishes the fight" as his splash screen tag.

I mean come on, it's too perfect!
It would line up with the rumors that the Nintendo X Microsoft collab will be known in Fall.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Just watched through the Halo: Infinite Multiplayer Overview from this morning. Wow, it looks really good. In that twelve minutes, there is a ton of information!

I am loving the way they are doing Battle Passes. Just like MCC, you can go back and purchase items off of the older ones if you own it. You get to decide where your points go for unlocks. No loot boxes, etc. Super cool. I am so excited for this generation of Halo Multiplayer.

Now, just give me Chief on Tuesday. Let's do a double reveal so Chief can have the "Finishes the Fight" tag.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

With this feature, I think Elite hitboxes in multiplayer would be less of a problem than they were previously. Just bring back my playable alien boys at some point please.

And good luck for tomorrow.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

With this feature, I think Elite hitboxes in multiplayer would be less of a problem than they were previously. Just bring back my playable alien boys at some point please.

And good luck for tomorrow.
What's up with that? Why haven't Sangheili been playable for a while? I'm out of the loop.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just popping in to say prior to the reveal tomorrow, my gut has been telling me Master Chief and I hope it's right. I admit that I honestly don't have much attachment to Halo directly, outside of playing some multiplayer with friends over the years, but it's hard to deny how absolutely monumental Chief would be. Through the last few months I've definitely become a firm supporter.

Above all of this though, I want to say that you guys have been a really respectable bunch. Chief has rose from the ashes and become a community frontrunner again, but you've all stayed very humble and respectful toward all sorts of other characters and not let it get to your heads. Between Chief's awesome fans and some of my own best friends that would flip their lids, I really want to see Chief finish the fight after all. Y'all deserve it... best of luck for tomorrow!

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Here it is just in time! I made this under 3 days and my hype for Master Chief possibly joining Smash Bros drove me to make this one like I did for other character's. Its basically my quick memories I got speculating for Master Chief all before he was even a possibility and the speculation hints I picked up on over the years. All I can say is Master Chief would be my dream come true if he makes it and I am so stoked for E3. LETS GO HALO BOIS!

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
My final predictions have been Master Chief and Porky for a while. I hope it will happen.

Good luck to you, Spartans.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
Sup y'all! I'm personally on the Rayman train but after seeing what Vergeben and the dataminer posted; you have no idea how happy I am for you Chief advocates if this is truly the real deal. Masterchief is undeniably THE FPS representative and would be an incredible way to finally give that genre some spotlight in Smash.

Personally not a Halo player at all...just happy to see others happy getting their dream picks in <3 Good luck lads and have a good direct!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh. Congrats if this is true.

While I prefer Doomguy, supporting him only became realizable after Doom 2016, whereas Chief has been a pipe dream since at least Brawl as pointed out, so I gotta respect what had been clamored for longer. Helps that Halo I'm as accustomed and familiar with too, so could've been a worse Western character to go out on.

(Speaking in case it is true, though nothing is certain but we'll find out in a few hours regardless)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom