• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just got a free ticket to court. :D

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
In a sense it was smart because I would get to my destination quicker.
If your desired destination was a coffin or a jail cell, I suppose it was the smart thing to do.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well whichever genius read my post should've read yours too.

In that case, they'll know I was just trying to condense the post length and answer one specific part.
People get so upset over these things. :mad:

rhan

Smash Hero
Well whichever genius read my post should've read yours too.

In that case, they'll know I was just trying to condense the post length and answer one specific part.
People get so upset over these things. :mad:
You'd be surprised.

If you really want to speed just go to the nearest drag strip.
It's not that I wanted to speed. It's more that my tunnel vision basically told me to beat curfew. Obviously a bad idea.

It's like having 1 day until a project is due and you try to work on every single flaw of that project and try to improve it before the due date. You're main focus is to get it done without error.

rhan

Smash Hero
At least I'm not the only one.... What did you get slapped with and how old were you?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I have 4 tickets :(

Turning on No Turn on Red
Passing on a Shoulder
Running a Red Light
Following too closely

**** being asian.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I have long suspected it's just propaganda that driving fast is dangerous. I definitely know that speed limits in general are WAY lower than any actually good driver could ever need. Take side streets for example. The general speed limit is 25. I speed nearly universally in that, 30 in general or 35ish if I feel pretty confident there are no cops around. Really, I should be going 40 at certain times on those streets; it's not unsafe at all. If you can't avoid kids and such at that speed, I'm going to be blunt and say you have no business driving at all.

The topic creator was going 93 mph; that's not a universally unsafe speed. On a straight, open highway in good condition with few other drivers and good weather, that's very reasonable if you just think in terms of what's safe and not in terms of the law. Given that the speed limit of the road he was on was, I suspect it was a highway. Given that he was even able to get up to 93, I suspect there were few other drivers. Given that he just got a ticket, we might even suspect he was on some far-flung country highway; if you've ever driven cross-country, you'd know that 93 is a very reasonable speed for places like that as long as you don't get caught (unless you're really good at talking your way out of tickets). There's a good chance what he was doing was, in fact, safe (assuming he's a skillful driver); the law is just wrong in this case.

I mean, here are the things that are actually unsafe:

-Driving while distracted. I could do 130 about as safely as someone on a cell phone can do 55. Actually, I might do better with 130. 130 isn't something I'd be comfortable driving on a road with any other people, but at least you can be guaranteed I'd be paying attention to what's going on. Also, constantly watching your speedometer, which you basically have to do to avoid speeding, is distracting. I suspect the speed limits actually make us less safe because of this. Without them, you could just keep up with traffic and not think about it, knowing you're safe. I know if there were no limits, I would almost never look at my speedometer; you can't deny that every moment you look at that you aren't looking at the road and the things that could get in your way.

-Not using turn signals. You know, this is a "petty" traffic violation that is, in fact, actually dangerous (unlike speeding). I don't give people room to get in unless they signal pretty much no matter what; no one knows what you're doing if you don't signal and can only assume you're going straight. The example of someone cutting you off is given as a reason you might need to suddenly stop, but think about it. How can anyone surprisingly cut you off if they properly use their turn signals? The fact that people seem to think this is a less big deal than speeding is really an example of the wrongheadedness the law promotes; I've never been in an accident with another driver, but every time I've been scared, it has been because the other driver didn't signal (of course, I wouldn't swerve out of the way unless I knew I was clear; I'd just hit them if I had to).

I mean, yeah, there are limits to how fast you should be going depending on situations; eventually it's just reckless. However, just speeding in general is not dangerous; all the laws do is make criminals out of normal people. Even if you try to follow the law (despite the massive time you waste because of it, remembering that basically everyone speeds), you can easily accidentally break it and get fined. They even sometimes make absurd, freedom limiting laws like "you can't own radar scanners" to try to perpetuate what is ultimate unenforceable; why do people support this? What evidence do people even have that speeding is unsafe? The only system I've ever seen to fairly test no speed limits on a serious scale is the autobahn... which if I recall is one of the safest roads in the world. I'm fairly well convinced that it is doing things right.

The TC made a mistake insofar as he violated a law with a steep punishment, but I don't see any evidence that he did anything that actually endangered anyone. He kinda got ganged up on in this topic; I don't think you guys were very fair to him.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
My first ticket was doing 110 in a 65 >>;
19 and i got a $100 fine :p
paid it in ones
i seriously dont get that

your license should have been suspended EASILY

where i come from

if your going 40+ mph above the law your license is gone

since you get like 10 points on it and 40+ is a 11 or more point deduction

and only 100 dollars ? in think for every mph over its 5 dollars plus the speeding ticket which should be atleast 200

...Amazing Post...
you hit the nail on the head

exactly what i wanted to say

just couldnt get it down lol

nice bro

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
i know it's surprising, but traffic laws differ from state to state and even county to county

my area apparently either isn't broke or doesn't care
who knows

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i understand that the law differs

but by so much ?

lol thats kinda crazy

what area is it exactly if you dont mind me askin

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
stl metro area
where i got the ticket there's maybe uh
600 residents?
it was on the interstate around a really really tiny town

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
wow you should be happy it was such a dead area

if that was in ny

woooooo

the jail cell would have been warm for you

you would have been charged with soo many things

ah man

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
America's differing state laws must be a real pain in the ***.

The only cool thing we have similar to that here is up in northern England, where you're allowed to kill a scotsman with a bow and arrow on a wednesday, or maybe not even a specific day.

Of course, the crown court can override that law. -__-

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I have long suspected it's just propaganda that driving fast is dangerous. I definitely know that speed limits in general are WAY lower than any actually good driver could ever need. Take side streets for example. The general speed limit is 25. I speed nearly universally in that, 30 in general or 35ish if I feel pretty confident there are no cops around. Really, I should be going 40 at certain times on those streets; it's not unsafe at all. If you can't avoid kids and such at that speed, I'm going to be blunt and say you have no business driving at all.

The topic creator was going 93 mph; that's not a universally unsafe speed. On a straight, open highway in good condition with few other drivers and good weather, that's very reasonable if you just think in terms of what's safe and not in terms of the law. Given that the speed limit of the road he was on was, I suspect it was a highway. Given that he was even able to get up to 93, I suspect there were few other drivers. Given that he just got a ticket, we might even suspect he was on some far-flung country highway; if you've ever driven cross-country, you'd know that 93 is a very reasonable speed for places like that as long as you don't get caught (unless you're really good at talking your way out of tickets). There's a good chance what he was doing was, in fact, safe (assuming he's a skillful driver); the law is just wrong in this case.

I mean, here are the things that are actually unsafe:

-Driving while distracted. I could do 130 about as safely as someone on a cell phone can do 55. Actually, I might do better with 130. 130 isn't something I'd be comfortable driving on a road with any other people, but at least you can be guaranteed I'd be paying attention to what's going on. Also, constantly watching your speedometer, which you basically have to do to avoid speeding, is distracting. I suspect the speed limits actually make us less safe because of this. Without them, you could just keep up with traffic and not think about it, knowing you're safe. I know if there were no limits, I would almost never look at my speedometer; you can't deny that every moment you look at that you aren't looking at the road and the things that could get in your way.

-Not using turn signals. You know, this is a "petty" traffic violation that is, in fact, actually dangerous (unlike speeding). I don't give people room to get in unless they signal pretty much no matter what; no one knows what you're doing if you don't signal and can only assume you're going straight. The example of someone cutting you off is given as a reason you might need to suddenly stop, but think about it. How can anyone surprisingly cut you off if they properly use their turn signals? The fact that people seem to think this is a less big deal than speeding is really an example of the wrongheadedness the law promotes; I've never been in an accident with another driver, but every time I've been scared, it has been because the other driver didn't signal (of course, I wouldn't swerve out of the way unless I knew I was clear; I'd just hit them if I had to).

I mean, yeah, there are limits to how fast you should be going depending on situations; eventually it's just reckless. However, just speeding in general is not dangerous; all the laws do is make criminals out of normal people. Even if you try to follow the law (despite the massive time you waste because of it, remembering that basically everyone speeds), you can easily accidentally break it and get fined. They even sometimes make absurd, freedom limiting laws like "you can't own radar scanners" to try to perpetuate what is ultimate unenforceable; why do people support this? What evidence do people even have that speeding is unsafe? The only system I've ever seen to fairly test no speed limits on a serious scale is the autobahn... which if I recall is one of the safest roads in the world. I'm fairly well convinced that it is doing things right.

The TC made a mistake insofar as he violated a law with a steep punishment, but I don't see any evidence that he did anything that actually endangered anyone. He kinda got ganged up on in this topic; I don't think you guys were very fair to him.
Here is the thing. Drivers have different reaction times. Just because YOU can control your car going 130, doesn't mean someone else can. And, in general, traffic law have to cater to every type of vehicle, including tractor trailers.

Traffic laws are one of those things that shouldn't have to be addressed on a case by case basis. Therefore there are rules that apply to everyone. They need rules that are universally safe for every driver. If you think because you drive well you can be safe going 130 you are wrong. Safety doesn't just involve you, you have to be aware of and react to the so called bad drivers. If you are driving too fast and some guy cuts you off and brakes and you run into him, IT'S YOUR FAULT.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Take side streets for example. The general speed limit is 25. I speed nearly universally in that, 30 in general or 35ish if I feel pretty confident there are no cops around. Really, I should be going 40 at certain times on those streets; it's not unsafe at all. If you can't avoid kids and such at that speed, I'm going to be blunt and say you have no business driving at all.
You can't always avoid the kids. The faster you go, the less time you have to react when a kid runs on to the road.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason for that particular speed limit is that when you do have a collision you are significantly less likely to kill the pedestrian if driving at the legal limit.

mzink*

Smash Ace
I've been pulled over 3 times but I was let off the hook every time. I wasn't doing anything drastic, but still I've seem to have gotten a good break when it comes to getting pulled over.

The first time, the cop had to run back and jump right back in his car as soon as he reached my window, since a dude went flying by us much faster than I had been going, and had another cop already after him. He told me to stay pulled over, then when he finally came back, he just said bye, drive safe, since I actually stayed I guess.

The second time was a bit more serious as I was driving home from a long road trip and was exhausted, I nearly ran a cop right off the road. She pulled me over but I guess she let me off because I was military, because after I gave her my military ID, she just said "You look tired, get some rest, drive safe." and she drove off. After that I said forget driving all the way home tonight, and I went and got a hotel lol.

The third time, the cop that pulled me over was somebody I knew since I was little, so he just gave me a hug and told me to be careful cuz there were a few other troopers posted past him.

fullynick

Smash Apprentice
A couple of days ago a mate picked me up to help him with a film project

we went out onto the suburban street, past one corner and he sped up to 60 km/h in a 50 km/h zone

50 zones are so well hidden in South Australia, amongst all the 60 zones haha

we got pulled over within 45 seconds of starting to drive :D

highfive

Smash Lord
Here in the little town I live in sometimes we race against the cops. They only give tickets to outsiders. When I mean outsiders I mean people from out of state.

rhan

Smash Hero
Where I'm located there are hardly any cops. I even sped past one going 65 in a 45. Apparently he didn't care cause he never came after me. :/

rhan

Smash Hero
Guess who got another speeding ticket for a completely stupid reason....

**** my ghetto *** car....

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Guess who got another speeding ticket for a completely stupid reason....

**** my ghetto *** car....
>___>

I can't wait to hear this one.

Also, in response to Ampharos, that logic is flawed, in my opinion, because you're forgetting something; mistakes in driving can be fatal. Is going 10 mph faster really important enough to increase the likelihood of killing someone? Even if the law is overly cautious when it comes to driving, there's a reason; mistakes in driving can result in serious injury or death, and it's better to be overly cautious rather than not cautious enough. Driving is deadly enough without a 90 mph speed limit on highways.

I will admit there are stupid restrictions, but I wouldn't say speed is one of them. You're always going to go a little faster than the speed limit on highways, since it's pretty unsafe to be going 55 if most traffic is going 65 or more, and there are certain regular roads which people tend to go a little faster, but there is no excuse for going more than slightly faster unless you're keeping up with traffic.

There are also a lot of people who shouldn't be driving, and it's not because they can't avoid kids spontaneously running into the street while going 35 mph, especially because of how unpredictable kids are.

rhan

Smash Hero
Whole thing is that I did.

this time it was 62 in a 45.

I set my cruse control to 50mph. So I'm driving wilt my windows down and I have my school books in the back set. So while I'm going my papers start to fly everywhere. Instinct told me to quickly get my windows rolled up. Got the back 2 rolled up.

Due to the fact my car is mad ghetto.... The only way to roll up the passenger side window is on that side. SO I have to reach over and push the switch to roll it up. Little did I know even still in cruise control while pushing the petal in you still accelerate. So while I'm rolling that window up I'm slowly accelerating while passing by an under cover cop. So about a mile or so down the road I get pulled over. At first I thought it was just because of my music being loud or some ****. Come to find out I was speeding and didn't even realize it is just some bull****.

But it's whatevs. I'm not too worried about that ticket due to the fact I have a legit story.

First time though I was full aware of what I was doing.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
My first ticket was doing 110 in a 65 >>;
Darn it! You beat me by exactly 6 MPH, lol

Mine was 104 in 65, out on I-... 90? Don't remember exactly I was heading westbound through upper state NY. We're on our way to our destination, KS from MA, and it's like 1 am and NO traffic anywhere, and my car has never seen over 90, so I'm like, yeah! vroooom and we're all like yeah!!! VROOOM! then like a UFO landing or some **** these bright *** lights behind, then colored ones >< doh! Over I pull...

"You have ANY idea how fast you were going?"

"uh... no? XD"

"104 in a 65!" *tromps back to police car to fill out citation*

I was REAL lucky. He could have slapped me silly but this was back in 99 when life was a little simpler. I got a ticket for 150 bucks, mailed it in when I got back from the vacation. </myspeedingstory>

Speed limits are NOT arbitrary, to those who may think otherwise. They do save lives. They are also typically 10-15 mph lower than the absolute minimum for safe driving. Having worked for KDOT (Kansas Dept of Transportation) I can attest that a lot of work goes into determining speed limits, and speed zones. There are also several areas that are known to drivers as "speed traps" so always be on the lookout for those. If the county is kind, they'll post 'reduced speed ahead' signs to warn you that you're coming into a town where the interstate doubles as the main drag through the city, and to reduce from highway speed to residential/commercial speed.

Radar detectors are a bad thing. They encourage breaking laws.

I too typically drive 5-10 mph above the speed limit, but never more than that. Oftentimes, going with the Flow of Traffic, is SAFER than trying to be Mr. Perfect and driving right at the limit. It cause bottlenecks, and impedes motorists from driving w/the correct amount of space in between vehicles. I suspect this is why PC J lol'd at the idea of driving in the "right lane." It's typically where the "old farts" drive, cause they're old, and can't see as far, and can't react as quick, so they -have- to drive the limit, or even less than the limit. this would be why many major highways have speed MINIMUMS. Also it's where commercial trucks typically -have- to drive per law, and they too try not speed for the fines are huge.

Driving safely is paramount, so if you see the flow of traffic is technically over the limit, you don't have to worry about speeding. You should however take into account the minimum safe distance to leave in between cars. Used to be taught 3 car lengths. But nowadays, people like to tail-gate... ride bumper to bumper. It's infuriating to me when I see it, cause THAT is definitely a major cause in collisions.

And for those of you who really really want to drive like you're in the Daytona 500, just move to Montana! No speed limits. At all. You will, however see an interesting marker on the side of the highway, 'bout every 2/3's of a mile or so. They're little white crosses... crucifixes. They signify when a motorist has died on those wide open, lonely roads... speeding.

Exactly 7 days until I go to court. :(
heh good luck! they got a 3-strike rule? Cause if they do, you're down to 1, buddy. Be. Careful. And get that ghetto ride fixed up. Don't want get pulled over for Improper Equipment (headlights, taillights, obstructions in rear-view, etc etc). Your window-winding won't qualify for that, but if that's any indication in the quality of your ride, who knows what all else is F'd up on it.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
It's people like you that make it so every young male has to pay ridiculously high car insurance... >_>

Sorry if that sounds rude, but going almost 40mph over the limit is really dangerous... Still, at least I know how NOT to act when I eventually learn to drive myself.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
perry?

it's like, first offense, second offense, third offense. in several states the 3rd offense carries a much stiffer penalty than the first and second...

edit: asked my legal expert (my wife lol), the 3 strike rule only applies to violent crimes, so you're ok, buuut, you get points on your license each time you get a violation, and when it reaches a certain point it gets suspended.

Top Bottom