• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just got a free ticket to court. :D

S

smash brawl player 99021

Good luck ;)
Read all this. Sounds ****ty "/
Just suck up and act like it wasn't that bad. I'm pretty sure if you're going 25 or more over the speed limit on a highway you can get your license take away x_X
not to be a pessemist.

rhan

Smash Hero
Well in a brief I will explain the situation:

Case continued until March.
Still have license.
Could possibly do 30 days in Juvnile Detention.

Yup....

§witch

Smash Lord
Speed limits are there because of calculations performed.

There's a thinking distance, where you're taking time to react and still going. This distance of course increases with greater velocity. Not good.

Then there's the stopping distance. When you hit the brakes, it takes your car longer to decelerate at higher velocities, and you'll travel further. Again, not rocket science.

Then put into account thinking distance + stopping distance, and you'll realise that you're signifcantly more at risk, either yourself or whoever you might get in an accident with.

Here's a little factoid. Hit someone at 30mph, and there's about an 80% chance they'll live. Hit them at 40mph, and there's about a 80% chance they'll die. Just a thought.
He was on a highway, I don't think anyone here is condoning driving at high speeds in residential areas. Whether you're going 55 or 155, if you crash, the outcome will be the same. As long as you are in complete control of your vehicle, it's fine. Look at the autobahn.

Edit: I just read more of this thread and holy **** are some of you ********. Do any of you honestly think that the speed limit is set to a speed where pedestrians are less likely to be killed on impact? It's about pedestrians, yes, but not about whether or not they will die when you hit them. It's about reaction time (0.17 seconds) and how many pedestrians are likely to be in the area.

"Okay, so let's figure out how long we can put the pedestrians in traction from a 30 mph collision, an d see if we can maximize their pain and suffering."

GOOD CALL

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
He was on a highway, I don't think anyone here is condoning driving at high speeds in residential areas. Whether you're going 55 or 155, if you crash, the outcome will be the same. As long as you are in complete control of your vehicle, it's fine. Look at the autobahn.
Bog standard cars aren't meant to go that fast, there is no complete control above a certain threshold.

So you're wrong. Plus you seem to have completely missed the point of reaction times etc. If you're travelling at 155mph, a split second reaction is going to be much less effective than at 55mph.

Plus you could be in complete control of the thing but strike a pothole at 150mph, and then die.

Also Germans are suckers for advisory things. There's an advisory speed limit of 80mph, and most Germans will stick to it because they're just like that. It's even funnier how they have like no ticket barriers for their subway system, and there are almost no ticket inspectors, yet Germans will buy tickets anyway.

Edit: Switch, stop calling people ********, that's usually what ends up getting you flaming infractions.

§witch

Smash Lord
Bog standard cars aren't meant to go that fast, there is no complete control above a certain threshold.

So you're wrong. Plus you seem to have completely missed the point of reaction times etc. If you're travelling at 155mph, a split second reaction is going to be much less effective than at 55mph.

Plus you could be in complete control of the thing but strike a pothole at 150mph, and then die.

Also Germans are suckers for advisory things. There's an advisory speed limit of 80mph, and most Germans will stick to it because they're just like that. It's even funnier how they have like no ticket barriers for their subway system, and there are almost no ticket inspectors, yet Germans will buy tickets anyway.

Edit: Switch, stop calling people ********, that's usually what ends up getting you flaming infractions.
People are ********.

I obviously said 155 for effect, besides, I only think in kilometers and I just realized that 155 is well over 200 kph, which is ridiculous. So, I retract that I suppose.

My point was, as long as you can control your vehicle on the highway, speeding isn't going to hurt anybody.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah going like at like 10 over the limit isn't big a deal. It's just that you have old people, young punks, and absolute morons to take into consideration when you're setting up speed limits.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
:urg: that's scary!! wow, hahaha I shouldn't laugh but I wonder just how much of that trend is due to the absolute boot-to-*** ratio that was experienced during the first half of the 20th century... poor Germans :(

it's OK, Germans! You can breath a little. There's no gestapo anymore!!

rhan

Smash Hero
Update if anyone still cares:

March 19th: Went in and a kid had a simular case to mine. Did 115 in a 55 and was 17 when it was recorded. Now this kid is 18 and went to jail. After all that talk from the Lawyer he had and all the good things the kid has done around his community and the grade he made, still went on to jail.

Me was next and AGAIN the date got pushed but this time until after I'm 18 on July 16.. So now I'm looking towards jail after my Senior year.

LOL

I'm so emotionally drained that this doesn't even phase me anymore. I'm just living each day to the fullest and never wasting a minute.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I hope you have a good lawyer. In my state, I don't think anyone does time for speeding. Our jails and prisons are too crowded. You would have had to hit a pedestrian or something.

Good luck. Maybe you'll catch a break, and they let you off easy. If not, I hope the jails in your state are better than the ones here.

Skler

Smash Master
Update if anyone still cares:

March 19th: Went in and a kid had a simular case to mine. Did 115 in a 55 and was 17 when it was recorded. Now this kid is 18 and went to jail. After all that talk from the Lawyer he had and all the good things the kid has done around his community and the grade he made, still went on to jail.

Me was next and AGAIN the date got pushed but this time until after I'm 18 on July 16.. So now I'm looking towards jail after my Senior year.

LOL

I'm so emotionally drained that this doesn't even phase me anymore. I'm just living each day to the fullest and never wasting a minute.
Holy ****.

Just tell the jury you're really, really good at Young Link.

rhan

Smash Hero
I hope you have a good lawyer. In my state, I don't think anyone does time for speeding. Our jails and prisons are too crowded. You would have had to hit a pedestrian or something.

Good luck. Maybe you'll catch a break, and they let you off easy. If not, I hope the jails in your state are better than the ones here.
I got a court appointed attourney. The jails here aren't bad. Like none of that **** n **** goes down. So I'll pretty much be in there and just be bored and getting ripped.

Holy ****.

Just tell the jury you're really, really good at Young Link.
LOL That made my day. <3 Skler

john!

Smash Hero
They're going to try and make an example out of you. Just try to convince them that... you're not worth being made an example out of? idk hope things work out for you

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
wut...

jail time? wtf... is your county so bored they have to put traffic violators behind bars? How long was his sentence? How long a sentence are YOU looking at? That's just ridiculous.

As for doing your time, yeah it's pretty much just severe boredom. Any of my friends I know that went up, did so with minor incident. One dude though, someone started taking food off his lunch tray and he beat the kid to a pulp. Earned him some respect, and another 90 days, lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
I figured as much as making an example out of me. It pisses me off to think that I get locked up for something I do when I was a minor though. >_>

The kids sentence wasn't really heard clearly. All I know is that day he went to the side while his parents went though the front door. The judge told me perviously that I could do 30 days for "such an offense". So that's just what I'm going with now. He probably got the same but since he's still in school he probably does weekends. Though I'd have nothing to fall back on during the Summer or my Senior year.

Even though I thought about going into the Navy and maybe if I get a date to go into bootcamp or whatever that may (or may not) shorten or kill my sentence. Meh the future is untold. I'm just goin with things that could possible help me out.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
word.

well 30 days is ... 30 days. heh there's no quick way through it, really, just gotta do it. but hopefully you'll get probation, you don't have a list of priors, right? well except for speeding >.> remind me to never drive through there! lol sheesh.

but yeah, joining the service can commute you, but not without the judge's approval. during these times, though I would like to think the judge would give the go ahead, -especially- if you plead your case convincingly... that you wanna join up not to get out of jail time, but because you see yourself as needing strict guidance and structure, and this recent episode with court is a prime example of this, and that you think the military is the structure you need, and that you wanna do the right thing, for yourself, your family and your country. yeah that's BS enough he should buy it :p

Top Bottom