• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I had no idea this was even possible!!!

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
So I was playing a bunch of friendlies with my couple of friends of mine. After a while, my Marth gets really really good. My friends call it "Beast Mode". I start powershielding, frame counting, comboing, dashdashing, pivotsmashing etc like crazy. My brain just shuts off and I play instinctively.

Well, I got into "Beast Mode" with against one of my friend's Falco. I don't know why, but I just had the instinct to pull off this move, not knowing if it was even possible. Well, you'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-8hHpW4Ls&fmt=18 (Youtube quality)

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Su...Nintendo_Wii/ShortFuse_Marth_vs__Falco/650996 (480p quality)

After that we just turned off the Wii.

I know you can do it Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, Ness, Lucas and C.Falcon because those are like sex kicks, where you have a 2 or 3 frame window, but not Marth's. I didn't even think it was possible.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Wow. This is news to me. Before this video, the only moves in Marth's arsenal that I knew for sure could override the Phantasm were a properly-spaced and charged Shield Breaker a tipped F-smash (I've only ever successfully done this once, with complete accidental timing). I'd always suspected you could D-air spike Falco out of the Phantasm - I constantly try when ever I ledge-hop back onto stage, and the D-air at least always connects - but sheesh!

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Yep. It just takes good timing. But it's incredibly fun.
I'm pretty sure you can to this with anyone with a good priority spike, so Ike, Zelda, etc. can do it too.
Nice playing.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
The timing for the last kill was nice.

But the Falco player was horrendous.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Your beast mode consisted of constant Side B-ing. Also, that Falco was terrible, like he never played the game before and picked "Random". Not that your beast mode was bad, no, not at all.

But that spike at the end was O__O.

Rimmer

Smash Rookie
Incredible Marth, man. That Falco was bad, though. Following up a grab with an Fsmash? lol.

By the way, if you think that spike was good, I've been Judgement 9 KO'd out of a Phantasm recovery. That was in mid move too.

Amide

Smash Lord
I have got to give you props, that was amazing. But how the heck did you get that video quality?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Well, don't focus on his gameplay really. The first stock he was trying to Phantasm Fake/Cancel which he why he kept coming back. It wasn't a REAL REAL match, but that ending was too epic to not share.

I record at 853x480 @ 60fps
You can watch is in full 60fps here:
http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Super_Smash_Bros_Brawl/Nintendo_Wii/ShortFuse_Marth_vs_Falco/646566

but GameVee is messing up my aspect ratio, so it's being stretched vertical to 4:3

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR. It can record 480p, 720p and 1080i. Awesome stuff. I just need better software to record with. The software included has weird audio codecs. If i try to upload the raw .ts file to GameVee the audio will go off sync (if you notice the other GameVee files, they have 2 second audio desync). If I do a repackage (not a recode to lose quality), the aspect ratio won't come out correctly on GameVee. I'll have to keep working on getting something working right.

Oh, and the guy knew his gameplay was bad. (I doubt it was serious. He can chaingrab well enough to do dash=>uSmash which he didn't do) He asked me not to even say who it was. So it's "ShortFuse (Marth) vs Falco"

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I'm fairly sure you can hit Falco out of the phantasm with pretty much any move. It just requires good timing (as the video shows).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I accidently erased the GameVee one. When I get it up at 16:9 and synced audio I'll repost the link.

Smash Apprentice
lol. Excellent finish. I think i've managed to do that once, but the timing is nearly impossible to do consistently. And i know that you can fair him out of it too, and timing is (thankfully) much less of an issue there.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That was some awesome stuff you did there. I need to learn how to spike quickly like that.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
TBH, Spiking Falco out of his Phantasm is nothing new to me. D:

I mean, it was awesome, but not awe striking. Possibly because I've seen it before so the WOW factor is pretty much gone.

Also, you're marth was nice, but was better in the later half of the video. I laughed when he kept using the Phantasm and kept landing right infront of you. I know you must of killed your Fsmash with decay, but how can you know take that opportunity!?

Also, Bandwagon: Falco sux'd.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
even though the falco was (really) bad and this was known (by me at least) you seem to have taught some people something new. nice timing there, hehe.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
EH, Falco didn't play well, BOTH PLAYERS SPAMMED Fsmash too much. Marth was very good, though needs to use more of his moveset.

And most of Marth's moves can hit Falco outta Phantasm, with correct timing. I prefer Dolphin Slash personally.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Don't judge the quality of the match. I just really fB spammed the whole match. It wasn't serious. I'm just talking about the spike at the end.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Dair spike at the end was awesome, nice work. Marth was okay, (you said dont take it serious.) But the ending was just smexy.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
good video

but the falco player suffers form what alot of lowlvl falco suffer form.

they keep trying to chain grab.

but nice spike at the end.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
I did the exact same thing when I was playing falco against my friend's MK when he just started learning MK, and used cloak to recover o__x

Annnnd, I never knew Marth can do that too. So, props.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
haha ah yes. I ended up doing the same with Yoshi. Very nice timing to be able to do that, I wonder if someone will practice enough to be able to do it on command.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Yes the Falco wasn't of the best, but your Marth is beastly. I've been able to pull such an ending off to an extent; ledge hopped spike on Wolf's sideB.

I've fallen in love with the vid quality ._. It's amazing...

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
If you watch Falco's fB frame data (from right to left) it works like this

EEEE-------S

S= Start
E =Ending

You can't hit Falco during the "hyphens". Check it out on GameVee's site and you'll see it better since that's running at 60fps. I counted the frames.

Start = 8 Frames
Ending = 10+ frames

On exactly frame 9, he jumps to

EEEE-------S
----^-
HERE

That's where you can hit Falco. If you try to do it before he reaches there (like on the hyphens) all you'll do it clash the hit. Very neat and pretty useful for all characters.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Um, not to belittle ur accomplishment (epic spikes pwn) but ive done this a few times b4. The thing i havent managed to do was that spike to the ledge where falco hit the stage then somehow popped off of the ground and kept doing down. That my friend is what legends are made of. In retrospect, that falco was bound to fail vs. marth from the start.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Um, not to belittle ur accomplishment (epic spikes pwn) but ive done this a few times b4. The thing i havent managed to do was that spike to the ledge where falco hit the stage then somehow popped off of the ground and kept doing down. That my friend is what legends are made of. In retrospect, that falco was bound to fail vs. marth from the start.
Meh, the Falco probably doesn't use the C-stick for dash attack and buffered in a Fsmash out of Dthrow instead of the dash attack to Usmash combo.

ShortFuse, show us a serious match of you two. I think you did an injustice to your friend there ;P

Also, any reason why you happen to only show up on spike-related topics Backlash?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Lolwut? I just replied to these post because they were the most recent ones today. <_<

I just noticed you aren't here that much anymore unless a spike-related thread is up. Remember I've been here longer than you so I notice subconsciously that you've been away for a while.

Hell, if I stalk someone, they should be grateful. <_<

Top Bottom