• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I figured out a use for the doubleshine.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I was just messing around practicing against computers when I noticed this. Against characters who fall from the shine, if you hit them with a doubleshine while they are standing on the ground, the first shine will knock them down, then the second shine will make them stand up. So the effect is they lose control of their character and start to stand up. You can grab, charge usmash, whatever while they're standing up. It's basically like an instant Thunder's Combo, except it seems to work at any %.

So how do you hit them with both shines anyway? Well, you need to have some momentum so the second shine will hit. Just do the doubleshine during a run and it should work. You can also do it from a wavedash but it's a little harder. Also works from a walk.

Not sure how crouch cancelling or DI affects this, maybe somebody could look into it. Seems potentially pretty useful though since the doubleshine is an extremely fast attack with zero lag if you wavedash out fast enough.

EWC

Smash Ace
That's cool, I'll have to try it. I wouldn't have thought that that would work though. I thought the shine only makes them stand up if they're already on the ground, but when you doubleshine, the second one hits before they land.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
That's cool, I'll have to try it. I wouldn't have thought that that would work though. I thought the shine only makes them stand up if they're already on the ground, but when you doubleshine, the second one hits before they land.
Yeah I don't fully understand what's going on, because it's a different stand-up animation than the usual one where you jab them when they're on the ground and they stand up. If someone with action replay could look into this and figure out exactly what's happening I'd really appreciate it. Right now all I know is this tactic looks awesome.

First person to pull this off in a match wins a prize.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
cool stuff.
up-throw double shine on the edge vs a spacy sets up for a whole lot better of an edge guard than just up-throw shine.
copyright infringement from me on jman.

shai if this works im stealing. then again i think it may be kinda hard / risky to just run in with a double shine as opposed to off a grab.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
well, his point is that a running doubleshine will act as an instant thunders. it IS good to know, and im sure most people dont know about it, but its usually very hard to land running shines, and if you DO, theres a lot of other cool things u can do :)

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I think people can still attack out of it like normal I'm talkin about the ones who fall from it of course, characters like Falcon and Marth are screwed though but yeah if someone who falls from the shine hits the a button at the right time, they can still attack while they're gettin up so it's not foolproof but then again who expects a double shine comin?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Not sure how crouch cancelling or DI affects this, maybe somebody could look into it. Seems potentially pretty useful though since the doubleshine is an extremely fast attack with zero lag if you wavedash out fast enough.
I think if they CC it (first shine) they won't move at all... well, in that case you could grab or do an aerial

I'm not sure at all how it works lol I have melee on my comp but not sure how to use AR tools and stuff I'll have to check it out.

lol when did people get so fast that they could double shine wavedash or waveshine out of double shine¿? :confused: w.e.

Well I stoped triying to get more technical because I really had more importants things to do xD Smash is not the only thing in my life

EWC

Smash Ace
I messed around with this today in some friendly matches, did some cool stuff.

Against fox: upthrow-> jab reset-> doubleshine -> charged up-smash

Against jiggs, after a missed rest: laser spam -> double shine -> charged up-smash for the kill

The jiggs was at too low a percent for lasers followed by an up-smash to kill, but the slow get up animation gave me time to charge after she would've woke up, which meant more lasers while she slept. =)

I also tried doing this out of upthrow, but I couldn't get them to stand up after.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I think I could do it since I recently changed my wd button to Y. This is still going to take a WHOLE lot of practice, though.

EWC

Smash Ace
I sometimes use the control stick to wavedash out of JC shines, when I feel like it. It takes some of the burden off of my right hand, and makes it easy to go fast.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i dont find Double Shine super effective.
I find shine nair as a critical hit lol.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
eh, doubleshining out of a run is pretty difficult imo, difficult to the point of being impractical

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
New generation fox players are going to start incorporating double shine, I hate doing JC shines it's like when some noob thinks his good at FFR (flashflashrevolution) because he can spam arrow keys on flight of the bumblebee...

Sometimes I like to run in and spam shines and then randomly do a really fast n-air or a grab out of the shine chaos.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
eh, doubleshining out of a run is pretty difficult imo, difficult to the point of being impractical
Well it's difficult but that doesn't mean people can't do it. I can doubleshine pretty consistently (about 90%), with practice I could improve that to be consistent enough to be useful. For me the hard part is not the doubleshine or wavedashing out of the doubleshine, it's just spacing it correctly so both shines will hit. That can be kind of tricky.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You sure talk a big game. With all these tricks its a wonder you don't come first at stuff. <3

Seriously, if you're in tournament there are other moves you can do that would be more effective and practical.

I love how even now we can still find ways to over-complicate Fox.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
You sure talk a big game. With all these tricks its a wonder you don't come first at stuff. <3

Seriously, if you're in tournament there are other moves you can do that would be more effective and practical.

I love how even now we can still find ways to over-complicate Fox.
Well being able to do neat tricks hardly means you're good at the game. I have gotten better but there's nobody to play around here--no amount of tech skill is going to make up for my inexperience.

And since I'm not winning tournaments I may as well do the next best thing--do lots of silly tricks that over-complicate my character.

Also this tactic is NOT too difficult to the point of being impractical if you claw. It's difficult but I'm confident with practice it can be mastered.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Nah the next best thing to have people you don't know hype yourself up and then when you lose say you're sandbagging (regardless of how true it is) or have them john for you. :lick:

Or release a combo vid that might have well been done on LV9 CPUs with how ridiculously sex the DI is. :lick:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Well being able to do neat tricks hardly means you're good at the game. I have gotten better but there's nobody to play around here--no amount of tech skill is going to make up for my inexperience.

And since I'm not winning tournaments I may as well do the next best thing--do lots of silly tricks that over-complicate my character.

Also this tactic is NOT too difficult to the point of being impractical if you claw. It's difficult but I'm confident with practice it can be mastered.
Having no people to play sucks. :( I can appreciate the time and effort you put into tech skill.

Nah the next best thing to have people you don't know hype yourself up and then when you lose say you're sandbagging (regardless of how true it is) or have them john for you. :lick:

Or release a combo vid that might have well been done on LV9 CPUs with how ridiculously sex the DI is. :lick:
**** you.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace

Lol I am in the same boat sucks for us techy Foxes where people don't understand the main reason we're so techy in the first place is because of that very reason. Even without claw though I find it practical enough that it could be used whenever but of course, I don't lol.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
You know what is really effective? Dash attack.
agreed. and im dead serious

I have a question to ask that Im still not 100%

Can anyone be able to escape if you multishine someone's shield flawlessly ? I mean, you'll break his shield 99.9% sure almost without fail?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
This is hard to follow up :/
No, it's easy to follow up! If you do it right your opponent stands up with a slow animation like in Thunders (though it's a different animation) so you easily have time to grab, usmash, uair, and if you're fast you can charge smashes.

If you have trouble wavedashing out of double shine just SH out if it and you should still have time to get a grab off.

The difficulty in follow-up depends on the character's roll distance. It is very hard to do on Mewtwo because his roll is so ridiculous. It's very easy on Fox / Falco because their rolls are short.

^^Actually I'm not 100% sure it's the roll distance, could depend on weight. I'll try to figure this out at some point.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord

Can anyone be able to escape if you multishine someone's shield flawlessly ? I mean, you'll break his shield 99.9% sure almost without fail?
I think they can shield DI out of range. I know they can shield DI Falco's shine.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

A perfect multishine always leaves 1 frame with them not trapped in their shield stun so they could buffer roll, sidestep, etc.

Of course, a simple wavedash out of shine defeats that.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure that a shine's knockback is determined by the aerial dodge distance of the one attacked (I think twice the distance of that is the shine). Hence why Luigi is hit ridiculously far away from a shine.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
lol then it's worthless trying to do over 20 shines consistently... >_>

Shai should focus more on getting smarter rather than getting more technical. I'm sure it'll be a harder challange for him lol

Top Bottom