• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can make a record of your progress - Ness Tournament Results and Discussion

Jweiz

Smash Rookie
NNID
jweiz
17 out of 87/ Oregon SHFFL/ 6.20.2015/ Eugene, OR
13 out of 48/ Smash Wars, Episode 1/ 5.30.2015/ Springfield, OR
25 out of 47/ Fight or Flight 2/ 3.28.2015/ Eugene, OR
25 out of 66/ Fight or Flight/ 1.31.2015/ Eugene, OR

Some of these are old tourneys, but hey! Worth the record keeper, right? I'm also ranked #2 in Central Oregon, hoping to inn that ladder!

SlamShady

Smash Rookie
NNID
danthemacman96
What's up guys, SlamSHADY here from Michigan representing the Midwest! Look for me more often on the forums. :)

9 out of 32 / Project MSU S4 Singles / 3.21.15 / East Lansing, MI
http://msu.challonge.com/projectmsus4singles

25 out of 89 / Rebirth II Singles / 3.7.15 / Livonia, MI
http://pulse-gaming.challonge.com/rebirthII_1v1/standings

13 out of 77 / Rebirth III Singles / 4.18.15 / Livonia, MI
http://pulse-gaming.challonge.com/R3_1v1/standings

9 out 36 / Project Playhem Weekly #11 / 5.14.15 / Livonia, MI
http://smashboards.com/rankings/project-playhem-weeklies-11.6234/event

17 out of 59 / Project Playhem Weekly #16 / 6.7.15 / Livonia, MI
http://pulse-gaming.challonge.com/PPW16/standings

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
1st of 23 / Smash on the Hill II / June 27th / Boston, MA

challonge.com/smashonthehill
Played the same guy I played in winners+grand finals tuesday in Winners finals. Had to play a very good Sheik who usually bodies me in Grand finals, but pulled out the W.

Also my friend and I took doubles. like 8 teams i think.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
1st of 23 / Smash on the Hill II / June 27th / Boston, MA

challonge.com/smashonthehill
Played the same guy I played in winners+grand finals tuesday in Winners finals. Had to play a very good Sheik who usually bodies me in Grand finals, but pulled out the W.

Also my friend and I took doubles. like 8 teams i think.
Good job on beating players you've lost to in the past. You've improved a lot. Now it's time to start traveling out of your scene to improve more!

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
? out of 32 in Pool G1, 160 person tournament / Combo Breaker / 5-23-15 / Chicago, Illinois

13 out of 24, 160 person tournament / Dismantle / 5-30-15 / Chicago, Illinois

19th out of 32 / Quad City's Smash Bros Monthly / 6-6-15 / Davenport, Iowa

5th out 7th in Pool A, 177 person tournament / Smash n' Splash / 6-13-15 / Gurnee, Illinois

3rd out of 10 / Rapid Smash PR June 2015 / 6-15-15 / Cedar Rapids, Iowa

9th out of 11 in Pool E, 80 person tournament / E2C15 / 6-20-15 / Chicago, Illinois

9th out of 32 in pool 15, 512 person tournament / CEO2015 / 6-27-15 / Orlando, Florida

UPDATE!

I played well today at CEO. Almost made it to Winners Semis of pool 15, but I started a set against a Villager with my Mega Man. UGH SO SLOW! I then 2 stocked him with Ness and got adapted on game 3.

My Ness got bopped by a Pikachu in losers and my Mega Man 2 stocked him only to lose anyway in game 3.

I have no idea how I placed in Combo Breaker because they never updated their Challonge bracket. :/ 0-2Loss/2-0Win/Bye/1-2Loss

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
? out of 32 in Pool G1, 160 person tournament / Combo Breaker / 5-23-15 / Chicago, Illinois

13 out of 24, 160 person tournament / Dismantle / 5-30-15 / Chicago, Illinois

19th out of 32 / Quad City's Smash Bros Monthly / 6-6-15 / Davenport, Iowa

5th out 7th in Pool A, 177 person tournament / Smash n' Splash / 6-13-15 / Gurnee, Illinois

3rd out of 10 / Rapid Smash PR June 2015 / 6-15-15 / Cedar Rapids, Iowa

9th out of 11 in Pool E, 80 person tournament / E2C15 / 6-20-15 / Chicago, Illinois

9th out of 32 in pool 15, 512 person tournament / CEO2015 / 6-27-15 / Orlando, Florida

UPDATE!

I played well today at CEO. Almost made it to Winners Semis of pool 15, but I started a set against a Villager with my Mega Man. UGH SO SLOW! I then 2 stocked him with Ness and got adapted on game 3.

My Ness got bopped by a Pikachu in losers and my Mega Man 2 stocked him only to lose anyway in game 3.

I have no idea how I placed in Combo Breaker because they never updated their Challonge bracket. :/ 0-2Loss/2-0Win/Bye/1-2Loss
Whoa you went to CEO? You should totally meet up with @ Asa Asa and me tomorrow.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
9th out of 82 / S@X Weekly / 6-16-15 / Baltimore, Maryland
5th out of 86 / S@X Weekly / 6-23-15 / Baltimore, Maryland
2nd out of 80 / S@X Weekly / 6-30-15 / Baltimore, Maryland

Last one is my favorite. That's the highest I've ever placed at a Xanadu, and the most money I've ever made at a tournament ever :D
I beat a lot of good players like Neo, Kenny, Logic, and Shofu. Took a game off of Dunnobro too, but he put me in losers. Met Boss in GFs and lost to him :p

(Btw @ Lukingordex Lukingordex , your avatar scares me O_o)

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Took 9/38 at Ganons Gauntlet in Lewisville on July 2nd.

Could have done better considering I hadn't played for almost a week, but I'm satisfied. Had a hard time with a Zelda who was really good about up b-ing on a whiffed attack. Really gotta work on approaching more safely than I am currently haha.

Asa

Smash Hero
For glory 5 : 7/11/15
5th/64 in singles
2nd/25 teams (teamed with Pwii; Anubis strat)

http://dojo.challonge.com/FG5Singles

First round against kj(Marth ) was a little stressful at first, since he was doing well against me in friendlies.. But my tournament mode was turned on so I wasn't doing dumb things haha. Won relatively easily.

Set vs razer (falcon) was close.. I played solidly, zoning him well and making it hard for him to land grabs on me. Made a few key mistakes when it mattered that made me lose both games. Gotta be more clutch I guess.

Bodied Zura, good falcon.

Set vs Bc(rosa) was pretty manageable too. I bodied a couple decent Rosas in my pool, so I felt confident about facing him. 2-0d him, took a lot of patience to take it though haha

Last set was against sassy(rob) from Austin. Dthrow - uair is gayy. Lost 3-2, hype games! Need to work on edge guarding him a little better.

Doubles was fun.. Did Anubis with Pwii. So fun hahaha lots of salt. Lost to Gnes/raZer 3-2 in winners and 3-1 in GF. Best moment was in losers semis; another ness re spawned on his last stock and thought he was me, and just walked off the stage and died XD

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
5 out of 33 / STL BarWarz Series V / 7-20-15 / St. Louis, MO
http://stlbarwarz.challonge.com/07202015smash

Again, FailWhale's the tag.

So unfortunate that I had to go up against a Rosalina in losers >_> But I actually handled the matchup surprisingly well; first game I had good spacing and punishing and managed to win without losing a stock. Then the Rosa CP'd Halberd and it looked worse than Dabuz vs. FOW...she gimped my recovery THROUGH the stage. I CP'd Castle Siege but she still managed to absorb my recovery, and when we were both down to our last stocks at kill % she finally killed me with a d-air right as the stage transition placed me conveniently in front of the blast zone.

Can't complain though; the gimps were mostly my fault for putting myself in a bad position. The Rosalina player never managed to get me off stage herself; I just got too intimidated to land on stage so I instinctively maneuvered away and tried recovering towards the ledge. One of the Gravitational Pulls even caused PK Thunder to hit me, granting me another chance to recover, but I was already in too much despair to notice.

Ughh I'm just so salty about it. I totally had it :<

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well, time for the first tournament I've been to that I haven't come first in! ;P

5th out of 34 / Meltdown weeklies / 20/7/15 / London

Bracket: http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dmm5

This tournament I finally learnt the Sonic MU! That cost me winners bracket and also almost sent me straight out of losers bracket :p What happened is that I went against the second best player (well I mean he went on to win the tournament so....) in the UK (Ixis) and even won game 1 (although I suspect he was playing off point and under-estimated me), but lost games 2 and 3 (I really did have a chance to win them though, especially game 2). The Sonic MU is hard. I think there's counterplay to it though, I was just being too aggressive, throwing out stuff when I shouldn't have.

I know this isn't chronological, but a quick step back, I faced a Marth main who had only been playing the game for 2 days in round one. He was actually rather good for his first time in smash 4 (I think he was a melee player normally) and our first match wasn't too far apart, although I was using Lucas that match. Actually I might have used Lucas for both. :o

Going into losers, I had to face Jamz, another Sonic main who was also terrifyingly good. When I lost game 1 I thought I was out of the tournament. In game 2, it came down to last stocks high percent and I clutched out the Bthrow, and in game 3 I got really lucky and Nair stage spiked him when he was trying to recover. In both game 2 and 3, I calmed myself down and started doing a lot better, although it was still really close.

From there my winning streak started - if you look down the bracket you'll see a bunch of 2-0's in my favour. I went against 4TFYER (can't remember who he used actually), LDR100 (A Link main - I thought I'd have a lot of trouble but I did my newer strategy of keeping calm and analytical and not blindly rushing in and it was much easier), EDC (A Sheik main, I was able to kill him before he killed me, usually) and NW (an MK main, I thought this MU was going to be really hard but in the end it was actually okay, his upB stuff stopped working on me because I started DI-ing it (or something happened) and he's usually get punished for it as a result, in neutral I was able to come out on top the vast majority of the time).

I went up against SmashBound, UK's best Ness (I'm pretty sure). I was really excited for the ditto, but it turned out his Ness played so differently from any other I'd seen. He also knew how to recover (dem AD cancels), and I found myself having to think about my own habits as a player and how I'd go about beating myself in order to beat him. Alas, it was too late and he had won both games. I think I'll be able to figure that one out next time though, he's super risky, often going for PKT2 reads or Fsmash, so I just have to be a little more respectful and it'll be fine.

I'll hopefully go back next week. It was really fun, and if I can get better here I think it'll do loads for me going back home. <3

Noa.

Smash Master
5 out of 33 / STL BarWarz Series V / 7-20-15 / St. Louis, MO
http://stlbarwarz.challonge.com/07202015smash

Again, FailWhale's the tag.

So unfortunate that I had to go up against a Rosalina in losers >_> But I actually handled the matchup surprisingly well; first game I had good spacing and punishing and managed to win without losing a stock. Then the Rosa CP'd Halberd and it looked worse than Dabuz vs. FOW...she gimped my recovery THROUGH the stage. I CP'd Castle Siege but she still managed to absorb my recovery, and when we were both down to our last stocks at kill % she finally killed me with a d-air right as the stage transition placed me conveniently in front of the blast zone.

Can't complain though; the gimps were mostly my fault for putting myself in a bad position. The Rosalina player never managed to get me off stage herself; I just got too intimidated to land on stage so I instinctively maneuvered away and tried recovering towards the ledge. One of the Gravitational Pulls even caused PK Thunder to hit me, granting me another chance to recover, but I was already in too much despair to notice.

Ughh I'm just so salty about it. I totally had it :<
Aw that sucks. Getting gimped by Rosa is always hard. Always ban halberd against rosa, it's her best stage. I also really dislike battlefield personally lol. In the old matchup thread we posted a lot about the Rosa matchup. You should read some of those posts, but I hope they're not too old.

Well, time for the first tournament I've been to that I haven't come first in! ;P

This tournament I finally learnt the Sonic MU! That cost me winners bracket and also almost sent me straight out of losers bracket :p What happened is that I went against the second best player (well I mean he went on to win the tournament so....) in the UK (Ixis) and even won game 1 (although I suspect he was playing off point and under-estimated me), but lost games 2 and 3 (I really did have a chance to win them though, especially game 2). The Sonic MU is hard. I think there's counterplay to it though, I was just being too aggressive, throwing out stuff when I shouldn't have.

I know this isn't chronological, but a quick step back, I faced a Marth main who had only been playing the game for 2 days in round one. He was actually rather good for his first time in smash 4 (I think he was a melee player normally) and our first match wasn't too far apart, although I was using Lucas that match. Actually I might have used Lucas for both. :o

Going into losers, I had to face Jamz, another Sonic main who was also terrifyingly good. When I lost game 1 I thought I was out of the tournament. In game 2, it came down to last stocks high percent and I clutched out the Bthrow, and in game 3 I got really lucky and Nair stage spiked him when he was trying to recover. In both game 2 and 3, I calmed myself down and started doing a lot better, although it was still really close.

From there my winning streak started - if you look down the bracket you'll see a bunch of 2-0's in my favour. I went against 4TFYER (can't remember who he used actually), LDR100 (A Link main - I thought I'd have a lot of trouble but I did my newer strategy of keeping calm and analytical and not blindly rushing in and it was much easier), EDC (A Sheik main, I was able to kill him before he killed me, usually) and NW (an MK main, I thought this MU was going to be really hard but in the end it was actually okay, his upB stuff stopped working on me because I started DI-ing it (or something happened) and he's usually get punished for it as a result, in neutral I was able to come out on top the vast majority of the time).

I went up against SmashBound, UK's best Ness (I'm pretty sure). I was really excited for the ditto, but it turned out his Ness played so differently from any other I'd seen. He also knew how to recover (dem AD cancels), and I found myself having to think about my own habits as a player and how I'd go about beating myself in order to beat him. Alas, it was too late and he had won both games. I think I'll be able to figure that one out next time though, he's super risky, often going for PKT2 reads or Fsmash, so I just have to be a little more respectful and it'll be fine.

I'll hopefully go back next week. It was really fun, and if I can get better here I think it'll do loads for me going back home. <3
Great job Luco. Nice to see you're back at a tournament. Shame you didn't get 1st again. Go back though and do even better! Haha.

7th out of 25 / Coastal Waveshine 4 Smash Wii U / 7-20-15 / Toms River, NJ

http://challonge.com/cw4smash4
Nice job haha!

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Aw that sucks. Getting gimped by Rosa is always hard. Always ban halberd against rosa, it's her best stage. I also really dislike battlefield personally lol. In the old matchup thread we posted a lot about the Rosa matchup. You should read some of those posts, but I hope they're not too old.

Great job Luco. Nice to see you're back at a tournament. Shame you didn't get 1st again. Go back though and do even better! Haha.

Nice job haha!
Thanks noa!

Meccs

@Meccs_
Can finally post here again lol
3rd out of 56 / GameUnderground Smash 4 Weeklies / 7-21-15 / Natick, MA
http://challonge.com/smash4gu72115
Did well, beat 2 PR players on my way to winners finals, then got exposed by ChefPac (Koolaid) in WF (so exposed I went G&W games 2 and 3 and did better) and beat handily by Ntarps in LF. But losing my last two in a row and then blowing it in doubles (all my fault we lost) I felt pretty bad afterwards really. Still, I played patiently which is not something I usually do, so I'm getting better at that at least.

Last edited:

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
Always ban halberd against rosa, it's her best stage. I also really dislike battlefield personally lol.
I suppose I'm a fool for not banning it, but my philosophy was that any stage with temporary walkoffs would help in not getting gimped, though I severely underestimated the walkoff duration on Halberd (hardly play on it). I think I banned Lylat and BF. At any rate, I wasn't getting killed by the low ceiling; I was dominating the neutral game, surprisingly. I was just getting my recovery eaten through the thin stage. This was the first time I've faced a Rosa in a tournament so I'll be smarter about it next time ):

And believe me, I hate BF too. I always find recovering more difficult on it for some reason, and the underside of the stage is not kind for PKT2 wall bouncing. The platforms also tend to get in the way of my aerials.

XCounter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CrossCounter
3DS FC
2981-7233-0181

I've been meaning to go to Meltdown sometime, but I'm too lazy to travel to North London haha

Good to see you found a challenge, though! Will you still be in the country for Keep it Classy 6 on August 29th?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've been meaning to go to Meltdown sometime, but I'm too lazy to travel to North London haha

Good to see you found a challenge, though! Will you still be in the country for Keep it Classy 6 on August 29th?
Unfortunately I'm away between the 9th and the 26th and then fly back to Israel on the 27th. Unfortunately I can only make the meltdowns most likely! :(

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
17th/78 in Shockwave 39 on 7/22/2015 in Plano, TX (DFW)

First round went against a ZSS who was way too eager and I ended up winning 2-0. Got him with 3 salty bats and an extra salty backthrow... he was getting soooooo frustrated!

Second round vs. AeroLink. A local player (who took 4th) who's really good. Played Palutena. I couldn't get in past his wall of back airs! When he would make a mistake I would capitalize on it, but he controlled the neutral pretty well. My first time playing a high-level player and got a stock on him both matches, so that was exciting! Lost 2-0.

Doctor X was next and he played Diddy and Sheik. Bodied his Diddy with a 2 stock and did Sheik ditto's for the next match. Was a lot of fun, the Sheik ditto, even though I two stocked him. Really fun to play against and a good sport.

Mario after that. Took first game, then he started reading my dodges and everything second game for the win. His defensive game was really good, but I couldn't get in on him enough to do a ton of damage. Switched to Sheik third game and took the win. It was clooooose though.

Then there was a Charizard that I bodied. He switched to Mewtwo and beat me. Was reading my rolls and dodges and just effectively controlling the neutral (seeing a pattern? :p ). I switched to Sheik at the advice of my friend and got bodied. Did NOT like playing against him. He was an asshole and seemed really arrogant/pretentious. I don't mind losing, but just be a good person.

Played some friendlies against Denti and Dakpo. oh my god. I got DESTROYED. They ended up taking first and second, respectively. Learned a lot from them and they were such nice guys. Hoping ext time I go to get more friendlies with them so I can get better. I couldn't get in on any of their characters for any real damage. It was a little insane.

But overall I'm happy with how I did! Could have done better and shouldn't have Sheiked the Mewtwo, but, y'know, stuff happens.

For glory 5 : 7/11/15
5th/64 in singles
2nd/25 teams (teamed with Pwii; Anubis strat)

http://dojo.challonge.com/FG5Singles
Are you in Houston?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
17th/78 in Shockwave 39 on 7/22/2015 in Plano, TX (DFW)

First round went against a ZSS who was way too eager and I ended up winning 2-0. Got him with 3 salty bats and an extra salty backthrow... he was getting soooooo frustrated!

Second round vs. AeroLink. A local player (who took 4th) who's really good. Played Palutena. I couldn't get in past his wall of back airs! When he would make a mistake I would capitalize on it, but he controlled the neutral pretty well. My first time playing a high-level player and got a stock on him both matches, so that was exciting! Lost 2-0.

Doctor X was next and he played Diddy and Sheik. Bodied his Diddy with a 2 stock and did Sheik ditto's for the next match. Was a lot of fun, the Sheik ditto, even though I two stocked him. Really fun to play against and a good sport.

Mario after that. Took first game, then he started reading my dodges and everything second game for the win. His defensive game was really good, but I couldn't get in on him enough to do a ton of damage. Switched to Sheik third game and took the win. It was clooooose though.

Then there was a Charizard that I bodied. He switched to Mewtwo and beat me. Was reading my rolls and dodges and just effectively controlling the neutral (seeing a pattern? :p ). I switched to Sheik at the advice of my friend and got bodied. Did NOT like playing against him. He was an ******* and seemed really arrogant/pretentious. I don't mind losing, but just be a good person.

Played some friendlies against Denti and Dakpo. oh my god. I got DESTROYED. They ended up taking first and second, respectively. Learned a lot from them and they were such nice guys. Hoping ext time I go to get more friendlies with them so I can get better. I couldn't get in on any of their characters for any real damage. It was a little insane.

But overall I'm happy with how I did! Could have done better and shouldn't have Sheiked the Mewtwo, but, y'know, stuff happens.

Are you in Houston?
welcome to the scene!

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Tourney Name: Uproar Extravaganza
Placing: 4th
Entrants: 57
Date: July 25th, 2015

Bracket

I swear to god I got assigned just about every character I could hate facing in Loser's Bracket though lol. Minus Pixie.
In order though, here's who I had to face in Loser's...

Sonic, Mega Man (twice in a row), Diddy, Luigi (twice in a row). >.>

2 of my sets this tourney are in this post here. :)

==

Also Noa could you change my name to Timmy? You wouldn't have to rearrange anything alphabetically since I'm in the Canada section haha.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

Bracket

I swear to god I got assigned just about every character I could hate facing in Loser's Bracket though lol. Minus Pixie.

==

Also Noa could you change my name to Timmy? You wouldn't have to rearrange anything alphabetically since I'm in the Canada section haha.
Great job timmy :)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Not my happiest placing.

4th out of 15 / Meltdown weeklies / 27/7/15 / London

Bracket hasn't been uploaded yet for some weird reason.

I can barely remember who I won against. I went against a fellow Ness main who originally gave me a bit of trouble, then in the same game I figured him out and won the set. The next round I faced Pikachu, and I got very lucky in game 1 because I got a Fthrow off SV platform (I did this a few times in tournament, that strategy is dirty :laugh: ). The games were hard but Nair does pretty well against QA if he lands into you and I won (the player is the cousin of the Sonic main that sent me into losers last tournament, we talked for ages and it was great). I think I faced someone else after that too but I can't actually remember who.

Next game, I go against one of the better (like top 10 PR i'm pretty sure) Rosalina mains. Those games were crazy. Game 1 was actually a substantial victory for me. Again I think I got a Fthrow off SV platform kill, and Dsmash against Rosalina offstage is hilariously OP (it's not even that hard to time it). Game 2 was semi-close, but I lost (Duck Hunt is not a good stage against Rosa I found out). Game 3 I went into it knowing I just needed to get him offstage. That did happen, but I had died first, making the battle very uphill for me. It came down to our last stock but I was finding it too difficult to get through his SH walls and he eventually got me with a Fsmash (I think? Maybe it was Usmash).

I went into losers and played a Sheik main. I'm pretty sure I 3-stocked him in game 1, and game 2 whilst being significantly closer, I still won.

Funnily enough, the person that took me out used TL. I'd never played that MU before, and game 1 was almost a trainwreck to begin with. He got me down to 1-stock without losing a stock of his own. It was almost a come-back of the century, I proceeded to get him down to 1 stock before he finally got me with a Usmash. Game 2 I won by a landslide, but game 3 man... It was really close, but I made a few crucial errors and didn't keep the lead when I should have. In the end, whilst trying to recover he got me with a Fsmash near the ledge. It was sad. I knew I should have won it but I didn't.

Getting 4th instead of getting 5th sounds better, but in actuality this placing was significantly worse. Another case of I knew I could have won when I lost, but then lost anyway. *sigh* That said I think I'm really adapting. I hope I'll do better next week, cause that's the final week I'll be able to participate in a tournament over here! Ahh well. :)

Noa.

Smash Master

Bracket

==

Yeah no problem I'll change it in the next update. Timmy is a lot easier to remember anyways. Good job on getting 4th. Sonic and Luigi are my least favorite matchups in the game. Though I'm getting more and more comfortable against Luigi. I've been playing him in friendlies to get a feel for the character. Megaman is also pretty annoying, but the feeling of finally getting in against him is so satisfying.

Not my happiest placing.

4th out of 15 / Meltdown weeklies / 27/7/15 / London

Bracket hasn't been uploaded yet for some weird reason.

I can barely remember who I won against. I went against a fellow Ness main who originally gave me a bit of trouble, then in the same game I figured him out and won the set. The next round I faced Pikachu, and I got very lucky in game 1 because I got a Fthrow off SV platform (I did this a few times in tournament, that strategy is dirty :laugh: ). The games were hard but Nair does pretty well against QA if he lands into you and I won (the player is the cousin of the Sonic main that sent me into losers last tournament, we talked for ages and it was great). I think I faced someone else after that too but I can't actually remember who.

Next game, I go against one of the better (like top 10 PR i'm pretty sure) Rosalina mains. Those games were crazy. Game 1 was actually a substantial victory for me. Again I think I got a Fthrow off SV platform kill, and Dsmash against Rosalina offstage is hilariously OP (it's not even that hard to time it). Game 2 was semi-close, but I lost (Duck Hunt is not a good stage against Rosa I found out). Game 3 I went into it knowing I just needed to get him offstage. That did happen, but I had died first, making the battle very uphill for me. It came down to our last stock but I was finding it too difficult to get through his SH walls and he eventually got me with a Fsmash (I think? Maybe it was Usmash).

I went into losers and played a Sheik main. I'm pretty sure I 3-stocked him in game 1, and game 2 whilst being significantly closer, I still won.

Funnily enough, the person that took me out used TL. I'd never played that MU before, and game 1 was almost a trainwreck to begin with. He got me down to 1-stock without losing a stock of his own. It was almost a come-back of the century, I proceeded to get him down to 1 stock before he finally got me with a Usmash. Game 2 I won by a landslide, but game 3 man... It was really close, but I made a few crucial errors and didn't keep the lead when I should have. In the end, whilst trying to recover he got me with a Fsmash near the ledge. It was sad. I knew I should have won it but I didn't.

Getting 4th instead of getting 5th sounds better, but in actuality this placing was significantly worse. Another case of I knew I could have won when I lost, but then lost anyway. *sigh* That said I think I'm really adapting. I hope I'll do better next week, cause that's the final week I'll be able to participate in a tournament over here! Ahh well. :)
Just make sure you practice a lot. It's really important to play a lot so that you can play on your tip top form. Tink is an interesting matchup. It seems that quite a few Ness mains have difficulty with Tink, but so few Tinks exist that it's difficult to say anything definitive about the matchup. We probably win it, but maybe there's the possibility that it could be a slight disadvantage. That would only be later in the years though after we have more data on Tink vs Ness.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah no problem I'll change it in the next update. Timmy is a lot easier to remember anyways. Good job on getting 4th. Sonic and Luigi are my least favorite matchups in the game. Though I'm getting more and more comfortable against Luigi. I've been playing him in friendlies to get a feel for the character. Megaman is also pretty annoying, but the feeling of finally getting in against him is so satisfying.

Just make sure you practice a lot. It's really important to play a lot so that you can play on your tip top form. Tink is an interesting matchup. It seems that quite a few Ness mains have difficulty with Tink, but so few Tinks exist that it's difficult to say anything definitive about the matchup. We probably win it, but maybe there's the possibility that it could be a slight disadvantage. That would only be later in the years though after we have more data on Tink vs Ness.
I think we do win it, for the most part I just hadn't encountered all the things Tink could do. That being said, it's probably a +1 at best. He can really punish magnet, even if you cancel it it forces yo into a situation he can always punish if he reads it: Roll back, he can grab, spotdodge, he Usmashes or does any other number of things, SH Nair he trades using Usmash, SH AD he waits for and either smashes or shield ---> punish, etc. In other words its usually better just to avoid the bomb unless you're Lucas in which case SH Zair is a thing and the bomb heals more than you could ever be punished for. :p

Getting the grab can be tough too. I think with more time it'll be fine though.

And yeah, I think I haven't been playing quite up to scratch recently, I think I just need to practice more and get back into shape.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Gonne copy-paste from what I posted in the spec BR, but before that:

3rd out of 21 (I think?) / Meltdown Weeklies/ London / 3/8/15

Hoooooh, well, long story short I came 3rd, which is actually quite reasonable. On my way there I had to face the same Rosalina main twice (who either came 2nd or 1st) and beat him the first time (Rosa vs Ness isn't unwinnable, although it's an effort to play - also thanks for prepping me on that one Arctic :D ). I also faced a bunch of other cool cats. In the end I was taken out of winners by a Luigi who also either came second or first, but tbh I'd been waiting 40 minutes for him to play through his Melee and P:M bracket and got really worried about being able to get home in time so I think I didn't play against him or the Rosa as well as I could have. Although they did play brilliantly, I was able to feel I could have beaten them.

But it's better than the 4th I got last time with less people, and probably also slightly better than the 5th I got the week before with a few more people. I'm quite happy that I used my MU knowledge and adapted to Rosa especially in our first set, because the week before he took me out of winners. And I can't feel too bad, because Rosa and Luigi are both hard MUs for Ness. :p

In any case, that'll very likely be the last tournament I can make it to here, but I'm pretty happy, it's gotten me a lot more back into shape and I think I'll start seeing the effects of playing current tournament players offline again soon. So... Yay? :D

So I think I played against a Mario who then switched to Ness (beat both pretty swiftly), then I played the MK I played on the first week, NW, and our matches were a LOT closer. He won game 1 I believe, then I came back and won game 2 and game 3 was very down to the wire - more than once I probably should have died to shuttle loop but yay reading DI and winning the 50/50 I guess? In the end I managed a pivot grab on him at the ledge of Duck Hunt, he was dead at like 75%. But it got me really scared.

Then I faced the Rosa that took me out of winners the week before, DX. Great guy, and his Rosalina is really quite terrifying (I think he's one of the top 10 in the UK?) I was keeping up to par but generally losing game 1, and then he upB-ed the wrong way and killed himself. I immediately took advantage of my mistake last time and BANNED DUCK HUNT, so we went to battlefield where it was last stocks but I was clearly ahead. We have to play so carefully in neutral but once you figure out habits you learn how to punish and work around Luma. Taking advantage of Rosa when Luma is down is also big, and Rosa finds it so hard to recover against Dsmash at the ledge timed correctly.

Then I faced this Luigi main, he's a bit notorious for being good at all 3 current games and likes to play easy characters (apparently he dropped Wario for Luigi because Luigi was just easier). I had waited really long for my match and the TO was getting really annoyed (he was going to DQ the guy if he didn't come when he did). It was getting very close to 11 PM and I was freaking out that the trains would stop running at midnight so with that wonderful thought of not being able to get home in my mind as well as general tiredness, I don't think I played anywhere near my best. It sounds like a john and it probably is (he did play really well) but I kept making silly mistakes and getting punished for it.

In losers I played DX again and the above factors were still playing in my head. I won game 1, but after a few silly deaths in games 2 and 3 he really turned it all on me and I ended up losing the set in game 4. Once again I wasn't playing up to scratch in neutral, although definitely he was playing better than in our last set.

I got a bye first round, but I'm probably forgetting one or two matches. In any case, it was still fun, and I'm happy with the experience it gave me and that my placing was significantly better.

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
5 out of 43 / STL BarWarz Series V / 8-3-15 / St. Louis, MO
http://challonge.com/dannos80315

Fail whale's the tag

Was really hoping to do better considering several top players were absent. This time I was knocked out by the spacies. Not sure if it's just because I'm unfamiliar with the Falco MU, but I was getting read hard with those smash attacks, and I underestimated the priority on them. All my aerials resulted in a trade in his favor. He 2-0'd me. Really odd considering I can consistently beat the guy in casuals.

As for the Fox that knocked me out of losers...well, this is the first time he's ever beaten me in brackets. We played a pretty close set, but I'm mad for totally throwing away the first game. The guy's pressure was spot on though; he had mastered perfect pivoting and was able to capitalize on every little mistake I made. I literally had to rely on jabs and nair OoS to rack up damage and could only kill with the back throw.

Also, I kept having mis-inputs...I literally rolled like a FG player when I was really trying to power shield + dash forward. =__=

Welp, this concludes my tourney run for the summer. School starts soon so I won't be able to attend any more locals. It was a fairly short lived career, but I guess I did okay for someone new to the competitive scene. It really would have made my day to break top 4 for once considering I've been consistently placing 5th, but on the bright side at least I didn't get completely bodied. That would have been a sad way to go.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
All right OP was updated!

Gonne copy-paste from what I posted in the spec BR, but before that:

3rd out of 21 (I think?) / Meltdown Weeklies/ London / 3/8/15

So I think I played against a Mario who then switched to Ness (beat both pretty swiftly), then I played the MK I played on the first week, NW, and our matches were a LOT closer. He won game 1 I believe, then I came back and won game 2 and game 3 was very down to the wire - more than once I probably should have died to shuttle loop but yay reading DI and winning the 50/50 I guess? In the end I managed a pivot grab on him at the ledge of Duck Hunt, he was dead at like 75%. But it got me really scared.

Then I faced the Rosa that took me out of winners the week before, DX. Great guy, and his Rosalina is really quite terrifying (I think he's one of the top 10 in the UK?) I was keeping up to par but generally losing game 1, and then he upB-ed the wrong way and killed himself. I immediately took advantage of my mistake last time and BANNED DUCK HUNT, so we went to battlefield where it was last stocks but I was clearly ahead. We have to play so carefully in neutral but once you figure out habits you learn how to punish and work around Luma. Taking advantage of Rosa when Luma is down is also big, and Rosa finds it so hard to recover against Dsmash at the ledge timed correctly.

Then I faced this Luigi main, he's a bit notorious for being good at all 3 current games and likes to play easy characters (apparently he dropped Wario for Luigi because Luigi was just easier). I had waited really long for my match and the TO was getting really annoyed (he was going to DQ the guy if he didn't come when he did). It was getting very close to 11 PM and I was freaking out that the trains would stop running at midnight so with that wonderful thought of not being able to get home in my mind as well as general tiredness, I don't think I played anywhere near my best. It sounds like a john and it probably is (he did play really well) but I kept making silly mistakes and getting punished for it.

In losers I played DX again and the above factors were still playing in my head. I won game 1, but after a few silly deaths in games 2 and 3 he really turned it all on me and I ended up losing the set in game 4. Once again I wasn't playing up to scratch in neutral, although definitely he was playing better than in our last set.

I got a bye first round, but I'm probably forgetting one or two matches. In any case, it was still fun, and I'm happy with the experience it gave me and that my placing was significantly better.
Lost to two of our bad matchups. But good job on making it to winners finals. That's a nice improvement from the last time you went. Rosa isn't super hard but yeah she is a challenging matchup. Keep it up and keep showing up at the locals. But having to wait to play your matches can be really annoying.

5 out of 43 / STL BarWarz Series V / 8-3-15 / St. Louis, MO
http://challonge.com/dannos80315

Fail whale's the tag

Was really hoping to do better considering several top players were absent. This time I was knocked out by the spacies. Not sure if it's just because I'm unfamiliar with the Falco MU, but I was getting read hard with those smash attacks, and I underestimated the priority on them. All my aerials resulted in a trade in his favor. He 2-0'd me. Really odd considering I can consistently beat the guy in casuals.

As for the Fox that knocked me out of losers...well, this is the first time he's ever beaten me in brackets. We played a pretty close set, but I'm mad for totally throwing away the first game. The guy's pressure was spot on though; he had mastered perfect pivoting and was able to capitalize on every little mistake I made. I literally had to rely on jabs and nair OoS to rack up damage and could only kill with the back throw.

Also, I kept having mis-inputs...I literally rolled like a FG player when I was really trying to power shield + dash forward. =__=

Welp, this concludes my tourney run for the summer. School starts soon so I won't be able to attend any more locals. It was a fairly short lived career, but I guess I did okay for someone new to the competitive scene. It really would have made my day to break top 4 for once considering I've been consistently placing 5th, but on the bright side at least I didn't get completely bodied. That would have been a sad way to go.
Lol this time I changed your name. Sorry it took so long.

Falco is not too bad of a character and he has lots of good tools. He can be hard to play against if you have no experience against him. And fox can be such an aggressive character. He really makes you play the game at his pace. Mis-inputs just has to do with not playing enough. Technical errors are really annoying to make. Yesterday I SD'd twice in tournament and lost a set because of it. I was really ahead too sigh.

Is your school work going to consume that much time? Shame that you won't be able to make it out to more events. Even if you can't you should try to go to smashfests and practice every once in a while. Hope it won't be too long before you can start playing again!

13th out of 25 / Coastal Waveshine 5 / 8-3-15 / Toms River, NJ
http://challonge.com/nw5smash4

Tag is Lochy

Not really that good this time around compared to my 7th out of 25 from 2 weeks ago but at least I am getting better places than 25th!
Yup it's all just small steps. Do you practice a lot outside of tournaments? That's really important for placing well.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
All right OP was updated!

Lost to two of our bad matchups. But good job on making it to winners finals. That's a nice improvement from the last time you went. Rosa isn't super hard but yeah she is a challenging matchup. Keep it up and keep showing up at the locals. But having to wait to play your matches can be really annoying.

Falco is not too bad of a character and he has lots of good tools. He can be hard to play against if you have no experience against him. And fox can be such an aggressive character. He really makes you play the game at his pace. Mis-inputs just has to do with not playing enough. Technical errors are really annoying to make. Yesterday I SD'd twice in tournament and lost a set because of it. I was really ahead too sigh.

Is your school work going to consume that much time? Shame that you won't be able to make it out to more events. Even if you can't you should try to go to smashfests and practice every once in a while. Hope it won't be too long before you can start playing again!

Yup it's all just small steps. Do you practice a lot outside of tournaments? That's really important for placing well.
Yes I do. I play against my friend (an amazing ZSS main) I only spar with good people and I go on Anthers Ladder frequently. Which I actually need to get back to because the ranks reset. I was originally a Silver II before the rank reset. Hopefully this time I can get an even better rank. :)

Last edited:

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430

Oops, sorry about that! I really should make my forum usernames and gamer tags more consistent...also, for whatever reason the Challonge link linked to an old bracket. I corrected it with the most recent one.

Is it true that you can absorb the lasers off of Falco's throws? I think I read it on a list of absorbable projectiles somewhere, but I figured there would be too much hitstun off the initial throw to put Magnet out in time. And yeah, Fox players can be super aggressive, something I'm not used to considering Ness is usually the more offensive character in most MUs. And perhaps playing online too much is contributing to my mis-inputs locally 'cause I don't make those same mistakes online. Accommodating for input lag or lack thereof can be disorienting. I was literally cursing myself aloud for every unintentional roll. But yeah, technical errors are super annoying. Sorry to hear about your SD's :X That really sucks.

And it's not so much that school will take up too much of my time as it is my schedule conveniently conflicting with all our local smash events. I have a lab Monday evenings which is when our biweeklies are held (hopefully I can get this moved around), and I work Thursday evenings which is when we hold our weekly smashfests. There are some Saturday monthlies held just across the state border, but I work two Saturdays on and two off so whether I can attend those is up in the air. For now it looks like I'll mostly be sticking to wifi battles this semester.

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
Got T-73rd (if my math is right) at Smashcon. Not as good as somebody else on here (:D) but not bad for my only OoR event and 750 entrants.
Made it out of pools through losers (lost in winners to Max Ketchum 1-2) then won my first match then lost to a pacman who won a couple matches in top 32 so I lost to great players at least.
(not that this is something i want in the op, just figured it be the best place for it)

Last edited:
Top Bottom