• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am really not excited for this game any more - possible spoilers

R O F L

Smash Ace
This is something I don't get. Why do characters make or break the game for some people? What about the new game mechanics, modes, music, everything being in HD, or just the fact that Smash is on another console? Of course I have characters I would like to see that aren't in the game or are deconfirmed, but I am still extremely hyped.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm basing it off Sakurai's comments. In an interview, he discussed how the decision had to be made of start a new game or largely reuse what came before. He opted for the latter in order to speed up dev time and ensure he could get all past fighters into the game. (The alternative was, as he put it, a new game with 1/3 the cast.) At this point, I'm simply making an assumption: the next game will probably leverage new technology and not reuse old tech, which means the roster will start over, which means it'd need new faces to attract people rather than just a rehash of existing fighters.
There will probably be cuts, but I doubt two thirds of the roster will be cut. If so, Sakurai may have finally lost it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
No, it isn't. You don't get it. By the addition of Ken, ruins the game and Cloud overshadows the ** out of the roster. He makes Smash feel Sony-ish and a suck up to other companies. Inkling, Chrom and Incineroar, while Nintendo characters, are still incredibly new faces. We needed more REAL historic Nintendo icons. This game is strictly about continuing the "Allstar" concept and I still need to brace my well being for possibly EVEN MORE third party characters.

I'm sorry but I just cannot reason with that ** you wrote. Dixie Kong and Skull Kid WERE SUPPOSE TO BE IN. I don't care what you or anyone who says otherwise. You users who share that statistics you've writing are crazy.

If It wasn't for the massive epitome of returning stages, this wouldn't even be Smash to me.
That's a very silly overreaction. And you are being extremely unreasonable to the effect of Ken's inclusion into the roster.
It's ironic how you claim that you can't reason with what the other user wrote when your first paragraph clearly establishes to anyone who reads it that you lack any maturity or capacity to do so.

I wish. But I dont know if theres gona be a team as organized as PMDT to mod a game as big as Ultimate. Sakurai should hire the PMDT to make a smash game. He doesnt know wtf hes doing any more. Actually he hasnt known what hes doing since melee.
He doesn't know what he is doing because he is not adding the characters that you want?
At this point you are just being petty and self serving.

You know microsoft is down to play ball with adding banjo to smash right? and you know theres gona be microsoft content in the game right? Facts.
Banjo being originally on nintento and being so iconic and requested should make him be in the game. I dont know why sakurai stopped adding characters from the ballot. From now on he should ONLY be adding characters from the ballot. What an *******.
And this is a clear example of self entitlement. The fact that you think you should be dictating every creative decision behind the game's development and the lash out against the devs when you don't get what you think you deserve.
And how do you know characters like Isaac and Geno placed highly enough in the ballot to warranty them a spot in the roster? As much as I like Golden Sun, those are very niche choices and I doubt that the majority of the consumer base are even that much aware about them.

why will we never have a smash game with all the characters we want? Sakurai had a smash ballot. He knows the most popular characters. His current goal should be to one by one add all the top 10-20 characters into the game while sticking in one or 2 wacky characters he chooses. I dont know why he insists on adding stupid crap to the game over and over. Like he adds nonsense WAYYY too aggressively. Chill TFO and just provide the consumers with their fan service. We're paying for the game. Make us happy.
Making a game is not exactly the same as providing customer support service. You are not producing Smash in any form to have a say into what goes into it and what not. As a potential consumer, you can provide feedback about what you want as they may influence the devs into adding a popular request or polishing their mechanics. However, only listening to feedback to shape your game is objectively bad and I can also go on about why fully embracing the philosophy of "the customer is always right" can be detrimental for business and for the other customers, but that warranties its own thread.

But you also forget one detail: Not everyone wants the same things you want. You seem to be under the impression that your wants and needs are what everyone was asking for, but that is not true. It's difficult to gauge if Isaac and Geno are truly as requested as you make it out to be. So yes, you should be prepared for the reality that you will never get a Smash game with all the characters you want, otherwise you are being unrealistic.
Are you so used to getting what you want? If so, then they really did a number on you.

Its not about hopefuls any more. We're at a point where not adding (especially) Geno, Isaak, and Banjo is criminal. There are a lot of other big characters that should be getting into the game that cause disappointment, but those 3 especially absolutely should be in this game. There is NO reason they shouldnt be in. And before you say Geno and Banjo could be DLC, dont get your hopes up. The likely square rep is a dragon quest character, and the Microsoft rep is gona be steve.
Once again, self entitlement. Nothing warrantied the inclusion of those characters and they shouldn't feel obligated to do so. And I don't know in what world you live in where you consider Geno, Isaac and Banjo big characters. And what other "big characters" are missing exactly?

I've seen this kind of thread before. This topic is always created prior to every Smash release, where the OP will downplay the strengths of the game, exacerbate its flaws, exclaim how the roster is a disappointment because his most wanted never made it and try so hard to convince himself that it is ruined for him and others. Some consumers are so delicate these days that they let some minor setbacks ruin an otherwise perfectly good experience. That kind of reaction is what rubs people off and why other don't feel sympathy for your woes. At least I don't feel sympathy for people who act unreasonable and self entitled.

I'm not one for gloating, but I'll allow myself just this time. While you cry over spilled milk and unrealistic expectations, I'll buy the game on release date and laugh all the way home, then I'll pop the cartridge on my Switch and play the heck of it with my brother who is coming to visit for the holidays and is looking forward to this game. I'm sorry to hear that you are extremely dissapointed, and by that I mean to say "Sucks to be you".

I'm excited for Ultimate. I literally hate Sm4sh with a burning passion, Im tired of For Glory, and yes I know the next online will be the same, but im tired of custom user tags. Im tired of the messy menu screen. Im sick of how rolling, and airdodging is so rewarding. And most importantly, im tired of how unbalanced it is.

Honestly, being dissapointed is fine, but we really should just be happy we are getting another Smash game. And for the most part, the game is perfect in my eyes.
I don't know why people attribute this is as a Smash 4 problem. All Smash games and almost every fighting game out there are unbalanced to a certain extent. Brawl and Melee are far less balanced, so are Marvel vs Capcom 2 & 3, Dragon Ball Fighterz, etc. What I don't get why some people pretend they only like a game when is not unbalanced, it just seems hypocritical. On this criteria, you may come to hate Ultimate as well because your favorite character may not be top/high tier again.

Last edited:

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Why would i get a game with barely any new content?
/QUOTE]

gee..maybe because you're a smash fan...well r.i.p, don't worry, people still play brawl too.

jokes aside, was pichu, snake, iceclimbers, young link, pokemon trainer, wolf, k.rool, inkling, incineroar, belmont, isabelle, ridley and that potted piranha plant not enough "newcomers" to get your fancy? Don't forget the 5 new echo fighters added to the game so ... 18 individual "new"/returning characters along with 5 potential dlc characters down the road after release to also look forward to... 23. 23 "more" fighters that will officially be in the game. A roster of 70+7 echoes + 5 dlc characters is 82. 82 fighters in a smash brothers game... let that sink in.

I agree that the lack of non combat based game modes is odd, but honestly... homerun contest can jump off a short pier. Target smash was never any good the second they changed it after melee so that can go die in a fire till its back in its former glory. With over 103 stages do we really need a limited and boring crappy stage builder mode again?

Story/ Adventure mode is sort of here but it's combined with spirits mode so...yeah... that's something to do but they are honestly just event matches with equipment shoehorned into it.

The amount of time needed to properly flesh out a story mode for the game just wasn't there. They started this almost immediately after they stopped updating smash 4. So early 2015. That's 3.75 years.... they could've done it if they really pushed it but this time around they focused on the main aspects of smash. No way in hell they could make a high quality story mode in 4 years along with every other game mode in the game, let alone 3. No way in hell.
This has been the second shortest development time between a prior release ever for smash. Melee coming out exactly 2 years after 64 still baffles me but that's not how game development works. They were working on it before the gamecube even was released and it was practically a launch title. They definitely made Melee in a jiffy. It was a beautiful mess.

Smash is a social game. Always has been. First and foremost comes the fighting. That's where smashes replay value comes from, that's what drives the community, that's the highlight of the franchise. The extra stuff is fluff, welcomed fluff but fluff nonetheless.

Those of us without friends better damn well start getting some with how much easier it will be to smash with other people than ever before now that you can nintendo in HD on the go. (sounded pretty sexual out of context when you have a dirty mind like me)

I understand the cries of issac fans (r.i.p fair haired lad clad in sunlight) and Geno fans have my support since I am also one of them. (D'Ron, my guy, don't give up hope) Banjo fans keep those chins up, there's hope no matter how slim it may be.

waluigi fans... get wrecked

Now with the condolences out of the way

take a step back and stop thinking about what you could've had and take a look at what we have now.

It's an enormous roster celebrating the history and legacy of video games across all platforms. All the heavy hitters are here. Combat has been sped up and smash is looking more offensively oriented than it has since 2001 when melee was released. In 2008 they released brawl and slowed the game down immensely, sped it up in smash wii U/3ds in 2014 and now a mere 4 years later they give us smash ultimate.

It's amazing that Sakurai got the character deals that he did and created a grand culmination of the smash brother franchise. It's a beautiful anniversary game for the series. There's no where to go but reboot after this and that won't be for a good long while.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
This is something I don't get. Why do characters make or break the game for some people? What about the new game mechanics, modes, music, everything being in HD, or just the fact that Smash is on another console? Of course I have characters I would like to see that aren't in the game or are deconfirmed, but I am still extremely hyped.
Don't take this for gospel or anything. What I am about to claim is based on observation. I have a theory (insert Game Theory reference here) as to why a character would make or break a game for the fans.

It's because if their character has a sliver of a chance to get in, they believe they're entitled to see them. A new game gives a fresh start and characters a new chance to shine in Smash. Naturally, people will have preferences. When I heard there was going to be a new Smash game back in March, the first fighter that came to mind when I thought of possible newcomers is Waluigi. The first direct didn't really play out the way I wanted it to.

We all saw that direct, and I never really got that upset partly because of Ridley, but people still wanted him in the game so much so that some insane folks went out of their way to send death threats to Sakurai over the lack of inclusion of this character. They all knew he had a chance of being included, got pissed off when he wasn't, and is taking anger out on the game online.

Again, I'm no expert, but this is what I have seen both online and offline. An old friend of mine still complains about Waluigi to this day.

You know, going back and reading through what I wrote after posting it, I remember seeing this, and now I think that a Game Theory reference was appropriate given the prime example I used in this response.

Last edited:

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
I agree with all of this as Peach feels like she's getting less in this game and not more like with her taunts getting shorter, her Smash Ball attacks use the same Peach images of her from the last game, she always looks at the screen in her movements, her dress is more stiff and now toad takes up two of her grabs not only that toad is so big he blocks the view of Peach from the player when he's not the one doing the grab in the first place with Peach not being able to even pummel her opponent.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Amiibo? I'm not sure I understand.
It's a huge revenue source that may contradict my prediction. If Nintendo likes the current direction, future Smash directors won't be permitted to cut characters.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That's a very silly overreaction. And you are being extremely unreasonable to the effect of Ken's inclusion into the roster.
It's ironic how you claim that you can't reason with what the other user wrote when your first paragraph clearly establishes to anyone who reads it that you lack any maturity or capacity to do so.

He doesn't know what he is doing because he is not adding the characters that you want?

And this is a clear example of self entitlement. The fact that you think you should be dictating every creative decision behind the game's development and the lash out against the devs when you don't get what you think you deserve.
And how do you know characters like Isaac and Geno placed highly enough in the ballot to warranty them a spot in the roster? As much as I like Golden Sun, those are very niche choices and I doubt that the majority of the consumer base are even that much aware about them.

Making a game is not exactly the same as providing customer support service. You are not producing Smash in any form to have a say into what goes into it and what not. As a potential consumer, you can provide feedback about what you want as they may influence the devs into adding a popular request or polishing their mechanics. However, only listening to feedback to shape your game is objectively bad and I can also go on about why fully embracing the philosophy of "the customer is always right" can be detrimental for business and for the other customers, but that warranties its own thread.

But you also forget one detail: Not everyone wants the same things you want. You seem to be under the impression that your wants and needs are what everyone was asking for, but that is not true. It's difficult to gauge if Isaac and Geno are truly as requested as you make it out to be. So yes, you should be prepared for the reality that you will never get a Smash game with all the characters you want, otherwise you are being unrealistic.
Are you so used to getting what you want? If so, then they really did a number on you.

Once again, self entitlement. Nothing warrantied the inclusion of those characters and they shouldn't feel obligated to do so. And I don't know in what world you live in where you consider Geno, Isaac and Banjo big characters. And what other "big characters" are missing exactly?

I've seen this kind of thread before. This topic is always created prior to every Smash release, where the OP will downplay the strengths of the game, exacerbate its flaws, exclaim how the roster is a disappointment because his most wanted never made it and try so hard to convince himself that it is ruined for him and others. Some consumers are so delicate these days that they let some minor setbacks ruin an otherwise perfectly good experience. That kind of reaction is what rubs people off and why other don't feel sympathy for your woes. At least I don't feel sympathy for people who act unreasonable and self entitled.

I'm not one for gloating, but I'll allow myself just this time. While you cry over spilled milk and unrealistic expectations, I'll buy the game on release date and laugh all the way home, then I'll pop the cartridge on my Switch and play the heck of it with my brother who is coming to visit for the holidays and is looking forward to this game. I'm sorry to hear that you are extremely dissapointed, and by that I mean to say "Sucks to be you".

I don't know why people attribute this is as a Smash 4 problem. All Smash games and almost every fighting game out there are unbalanced to a certain extent. Brawl and Melee are far less balanced, so are Marvel vs Capcom 2 & 3, Dragon Ball Fighterz, etc. What I don't get why some people pretend they only like a game when is not unbalanced, it just seems hypocritical. On this criteria, you may come to hate Ultimate as well because your favorite character may not be top/high tier again.
gee..maybe because you're a smash fan...well r.i.p, don't worry, people still play brawl too.

jokes aside, was pichu, snake, iceclimbers, young link, pokemon trainer, wolf, k.rool, inkling, incineroar, belmont, isabelle, ridley and that potted piranha plant not enough "newcomers" to get your fancy? Don't forget the 5 new echo fighters added to the game so ... 18 individual "new"/returning characters along with 5 potential dlc characters down the road after release to also look forward to... 23. 23 "more" fighters that will officially be in the game. A roster of 70+7 echoes + 5 dlc characters is 82. 82 fighters in a smash brothers game... let that sink in.

I agree that the lack of non combat based game modes is odd, but honestly... homerun contest can jump off a short pier. Target smash was never any good the second they changed it after melee so that can go die in a fire till its back in its former glory. With over 103 stages do we really need a limited and boring crappy stage builder mode again?

Story/ Adventure mode is sort of here but it's combined with spirits mode so...yeah... that's something to do but they are honestly just event matches with equipment shoehorned into it.

The amount of time needed to properly flesh out a story mode for the game just wasn't there. They started this almost immediately after they stopped updating smash 4. So early 2015. That's 3.75 years.... they could've done it if they really pushed it but this time around they focused on the main aspects of smash. No way in hell they could make a high quality story mode in 4 years along with every other game mode in the game, let alone 3. No way in hell.
This has been the second shortest development time between a prior release ever for smash. Melee coming out exactly 2 years after 64 still baffles me but that's not how game development works. They were working on it before the gamecube even was released and it was practically a launch title. They definitely made Melee in a jiffy. It was a beautiful mess.

Smash is a social game. Always has been. First and foremost comes the fighting. That's where smashes replay value comes from, that's what drives the community, that's the highlight of the franchise. The extra stuff is fluff, welcomed fluff but fluff nonetheless.

Those of us without friends better damn well start getting some with how much easier it will be to smash with other people than ever before now that you can nintendo in HD on the go. (sounded pretty sexual out of context when you have a dirty mind like me)

I understand the cries of issac fans (r.i.p fair haired lad clad in sunlight) and Geno fans have my support since I am also one of them. (D'Ron, my guy, don't give up hope) Banjo fans keep those chins up, there's hope no matter how slim it may be.

waluigi fans... get wrecked

Now with the condolences out of the way

take a step back and stop thinking about what you could've had and take a look at what we have now.

It's an enormous roster celebrating the history and legacy of video games across all platforms. All the heavy hitters are here. Combat has been sped up and smash is looking more offensively oriented than it has since 2001 when melee was released. In 2008 they released brawl and slowed the game down immensely, sped it up in smash wii U/3ds in 2014 and now a mere 4 years later they give us smash ultimate.

It's amazing that Sakurai got the character deals that he did and created a grand culmination of the smash brother franchise. It's a beautiful anniversary game for the series. There's no where to go but reboot after this and that won't be for a good long while.
You guys are as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Never change. (Where's a salute emoticon when you need one?)

D

Deleted member

My character has never been top tier bud. And I dont mind if she isnt. Id rather her not so i dont have to play dittos. Obviously, not complaining about that. im also not pretending anything, i do dislike Smash 4 because of the reasons said. Yes, im aware of other Smash games being broken or unbalanced, but for me, Smash 4 hits more to home and im very burned out on that game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There is a lot wrong with this thread...

Everyone has their opinions so being disappointed is your prerogative. But honestly, everyone who's disappointed that the game didn't meet their expectations, only have themselves (and leaks) to blame.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm excited for Ultimate. I literally hate Sm4sh with a burning passion, Im tired of For Glory, and yes I know the next online will be the same, but im tired of custom user tags. Im tired of the messy menu screen. Im sick of how rolling, and airdodging is so rewarding. And most importantly, im tired of how unbalanced it is.

Honestly, being dissapointed is fine, but we really should just be happy we are getting another Smash game. And for the most part, the game is perfect in my eyes.
I also dont like smash4. But i feel like Ultimate is gona be the same ****, different pile. Its really lacking in so many ways. "Ultimate" is a bad name for it.

I'm putting money on the OP somehow owning SSBU before the year is over.
Ill wait to buy it used. This game isnt enough of an upgrade to warrent an extra $60+

The next iteration of Smash will likely introduce a new engine and a reset roster. I doubt future games will insist on keeping the entire past roster forever and ever.
This is the problem. People want the whole roster, and they want more new characters added to the roster. In fact, theres absolutely no reason why sakurai cant use the same engine and add modes and more characters in future installments. If ultimate doesnt do this and the game is then rebooted, thats a big blow.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone has their opinions so being disappointed is your prerogative. But honestly, everyone who's disappointed that the game didn't meet their expectations, only have themselves (and leaks) to blame.
This

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

God i hate quoting these long posts lol

He doesnt know what hes doing because hes not adding enough modes beyond the basic smash modes. Break the targets should be back in full swing, and so should board the platforms - with multiplayer versions incorporated as well. Get rid of that dumb spirits mode. thats a waste of space and time. And bring in new things like smash ball (soccer/basketball/voleyball type games). The smash engine can do so much more than just be a fighting engine.

And ya, not adding characters like Geno, Dixie kong, skull kid, isaak, waluigi or banjo means he doesnt know what hes doing. he really really doesnt. It has nothing to do with what characters I want... it has to do withthe characters EVERYONE wants. I want goku and scorpion in the game, but i can understand if they dont make the cut. I'm talking about ESSENTIAL characters here. So i repeat - ya he has no idea wtf hes doing. Hes just a lunatic that coincidentally makes games.

And im not sure if you know what self entitlement means... my argument was that he should be adding ballot characters in the game.. not characters I personally want. A number of the ballot characters happen to be ones i want, but that is not self indulgent.. have you heard of democracy? Cause thats what this is about. Again, as i mentioned above.. if i was losing my **** over goku and scorpion then you can call me a self indulgent asshole.

I really dont understand sakurai defenders. You guys try to shoe-horn any argument you can to try to make people who are upset about sakurais impotence look like jerks. It doesnt make sense. we're paying for a product. obviously we want it to be the best it can be.

lmao. Just proof that people will never be satisfied no matter how much you give them.
Not true at all. This is another silly argument. Sakurai keeps adding the goofiest characters. Brawl and smash4 both could have had better character additions. There are about 3-6 characters in each game that could be replaced with better choices. He should be adding popular characters ALL THE TIME. not random nonsense ALL THE TIME. Screw isabelle, screw piranha plant, screw incinaroar, screw all the echos - add one unique instead of all the echos.

And with that all said, I still would not be so disappointed if it werent for the specific things i highlighted in the op. Read it carefully.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I also dont like smash4. But i feel like Ultimate is gona be the same ****, different pile. Its really lacking in so many ways. "Ultimate" is a bad name for it.

Ill wait to buy it used. This game isnt enough of an upgrade to warrent an extra $60+

This is the problem. People want the whole roster, and they want more new characters added to the roster. In fact, theres absolutely no reason why sakurai cant use the same engine and add modes and more characters in future installments. If ultimate doesnt do this and the game is then rebooted, thats a big blow.
I'm going to step out of line and say something. You are an ungrateful brat throwing a tantrum because you didn't get your way. I've observed your many topics full of unrealistic expectations and a complete lack of understanding, and I'm frankly sick of it. You are in the wrong.

That said, I don't wish to have an argument about this. I just wanted to say my peace. Have a nice day. :)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
And ya, not adding characters like Geno, Dixie kong, skull kid, isaak, waluigi or banjo means he doesnt know what hes doing. he really really doesnt.
Statements like this utterly destroy your credibility. You know that, right?

Also, I don't want any of those characters.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

This also is not a correct statement. I see why you'd say this, but at least for me, the leaks have nothing to do with it. I trusted verg the whole time and i was expecting incinaroar and ken as the final characters. but i was also expecting geno in the place of ****ing piranha plant, and i was not expecting isaak to get deconfirmed by being an assist again. These are characters high on the ballot, seriously, put them in. Quit being such a tight ass.

And as ive mentioned before, people arent upset about THEIR character.. theyre upset that SOO MANYYY hugely popular characters are being shafted and ***** in a bio-hazardous garbage dump.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
So i repeat - ya he has no idea wtf hes doing. Hes just a lunatic that coincidentally makes games.

And im not sure if you know what self entitlement means... my argument was that he should be adding ballot characters in the game.. not characters I personally want. A number of the ballot characters happen to be ones i want, but that is not self indulgent.. have you heard of democracy? Cause thats what this is about.
Quoting this so people skimming past will read this tidbit and maybe get a laugh out of it

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That's a fair argument, however Smash is known for it's massive cast of characters now. As much as I wouldn't mind a revamped Smash game with a smaller, more balanced cast, a lot of people would be really upset by the loss of their main. Not to mention that Nintendo probably wouldn't let if happen, mainly because a lot of more casual players pick up Smash games because of their large and representative roster and I'm sure that there would be a lot of people that would not pick up the game if the amount of characters was reduced.
This is why I think reducing the roster should focus on franchises that both contributed to the gaming industry and are currently popular. At the same time, I don't think popularity should push for the idea that a particular franchise should be given more reps. Just because Mario is popular, for example, doesn't mean a character like Daisy should be leeching off his popularity or contribution. I'm also in favor of a protagonist-antagonist relationship.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
There's only one thing that I don't get with posts like this, and believe me I don't want to sound rude... But how did you play Smash before? Did you dislike the whole roster in previous entries? I mean, there's every veterans, so obviously there should be a character you played previously in Smash, assuming you are a fan or smash veteran yourself.

Of course, maybe your main have changed (maybe you prefer TP Ganondorf, or don't like Peach using Toad during her grab), but other than that, I admit that I'm just geniunely confused. Especially when a lot of characters added are popular characters, either in the Smash Community :ultridley::ultkrool: or simply in a more broader audience :ultinkling::ultisabelle:. And these 4 are only examples.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm going to step out of line and say something. You are an ungrateful brat throwing a tantrum because you didn't get your way. I've observed your many topics full of unrealistic expectations and a complete lack of understanding, and I'm frankly sick of it. You are in the wrong.

That said, I don't wish to have an argument about this. I just wanted to say my peace. Have a nice day. :)
Which topics are those? Ones with fun ideas that could work well in smash? My ideas are not expectations.

And im not sure about you, but ive done my fair share of modding. I understand quite well what can and cant be added to a game.

I dont expect every one of my thoughts to be put into smash bros, but there are a lot of very simple ideas that could really expand the game - beyond characters. Even JUST break the targets would be something that would add to the game.

You can go on and keep paying top dollar, making nintendo richer even though they dont perform as well as they should be in numerous avenues (this goes for more than just smash - online for example).

Im being confrontational right now, but i dont think you've read all my posts. I maintain the point that i am not expecting MY characters to get in. I want Goku and Scorpion, but i dont expect them to make it. If they did id **** my pants, but i dont expect it. My expectations are for characters that were highly voted on. People dont want characters that push nintendos advertising agenda.

Statements like this utterly destroy your credibility. You know that, right?

Also, I don't want any of those characters.
Stating that some of the most voted characters should be in the game ruins my credibility? Okaayyyy mannn. Whatever you say.

What characters would you like? Goomba and skultulla? Or perhaps some more furry characters?

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I'm basing it off Sakurai's comments. In an interview, he discussed how the decision had to be made of start a new game or largely reuse what came before. He opted for the latter in order to speed up dev time and ensure he could get all past fighters into the game. (The alternative was, as he put it, a new game with 1/3 the cast.) At this point, I'm simply making an assumption: the next game will probably leverage new technology and not reuse old tech, which means the roster will start over, which means it'd need new faces to attract people rather than just a rehash of existing fighters.
they can just double development time for 6 to get everything in and maybe port ultimate if possible to tie ppl over

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
You really gotta stop taking the word of rumors going around. Those leakers are idiots. Steve and Banjo are just rumors. Do not take it as fact. They haven't been ruled out yet so there's no point in moping about it. My one friend basically shares this same view. He's mad at Sakurai for not putting his most wanted instead of characters like Isabelle, Piranha Plant, etc. But this happens with every smash game because you just can't please everyone.

But for real though, I'm gonna bet you're buying the game regardless and you'll feel differently after having it. I mean aside from money reasons, is there really anyone active on this forum not buying the game because they're salty about their most wanted characters/modes not getting in?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You really gotta stop taking the word of rumors going around. Those leakers are idiots. Steve and Banjo are just rumors. Do not take it as fact. They haven't been ruled out yet so there's no point in moping about it. My one friend basically shares this same view. He's mad at Sakurai for not putting his most wanted instead of characters like Isabelle, Piranha Plant, etc. But this happens with every smash game because you just can't please everyone.

But for real though, I'm gonna bet you're buying the game regardless and you'll feel differently after having it. I mean aside from money reasons, is there really anyone active on this forum not buying the game because they're salty about their most wanted characters/modes not getting in?
What im saying has nothing to do with leaks!
This is getting frustrating because people keep assuming everything has to do with leaks. Im basing everything on the ballot. I didnt believe any leaks, except for Vergebens leaks which turned out to be true.

There's only one thing that I don't get with posts like this, and believe me I don't want to sound rude... But how did you play Smash before? Did you dislike the whole roster in previous entries? I mean, there's every veterans, so obviously there should be a character you played previously in Smash, assuming you are a fan or smash veteran yourself.

Of course, maybe your main have changed (maybe you prefer TP Ganondorf, or don't like Peach using Toad during her grab), but other than that, I admit that I'm just geniunely confused. Especially when a lot of characters added are popular characters, either in the Smash Community :ultridley::ultkrool: or simply in a more broader audience :ultinkling::ultisabelle:. And these 4 are only examples.
Smash was young before. The bigger the roster gets, the more likely it is for more major/popular characters to get in. When they dont, its a bad look.

Wowee, you have some nerve.
Well when someone doesnt want the top most wanted characters in the smash community, i just dont see what they would want.

also, i edited in a blurb at the end of my response to you, not sure if you caught it or not. Nothing insulting.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
It's almost as if OP came looking for an argument.

And yall helped them find it.

:GCLT::GCRT::GCA::GCStart:

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I agree with all of this as Peach feels like she's getting less in this game and not more like with her taunts getting shorter, her Smash Ball attacks use the same Peach images of her from the last game, she always looks at the screen in her movements, her dress is more stiff and now toad takes up two of her grabs not only that toad is so big he blocks the view of Peach from the player when he's not the one doing the grab in the first place with Peach not being able to even pummel her opponent.
We're in agreement then. Seperate these two please Sakurai. Let Peach be a strong independent Princess that don't need no Toad, and let Toad finally be unshackled from years of slavery as a counter move. Let him pummel his own opponents.

Time for an ImPeachment I feel.

We're a helpful bunch.

As for the OP and on a serious note; I really would recommend waiting and seeing what the first DLCer is. Maybe it's the puppet. That seems to be a popular rumour. I feel like you may be not so much jumping the gun as pole vaulting it.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

I see a number of people agreeing with me and/or seeing where im coming from. Im not looking for an argument. Just stating my opinion and seeing if more ppl have the same feeling.

The game's announcement came out with a bang, making it seem like it will be very promising, and then it fizzled out to the point where even DLC is looking grim. There is a lot of content here, but a lot of it is filler content.

We're in agreement then. Seperate these two please Sakurai. Let Peach be a strong independent Princess that don't need no Toad, and let Toad finally be unshackled from years of slavery as a counter move. Let him pummel his own opponents.

Time for an ImPeachment I feel.

We're a helpful bunch.

As for the OP and on a serious note; I really would recommend waiting and seeing what the first DLCer is. Maybe it's the puppet. That seems to be a popular rumour. I feel like you may be not so much jumping the gun as pole vaulting it.
This is the problem. Its not gona be geno. Its likely a dragon quest character. Square is pushing dragon quest at the game awards. And steve is likely in instead of banjo based on what verg has said. Thats what this is all about. And isaak and skull kid being assists on top of it all.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Smash was young before. The bigger the roster gets, the more likely it is for more major/popular characters to get in. When they dont, its a bad look.
Hm... So? Sorry, maybe I don't get your point here. Smash always had popular and major characters in each games. In fact, since Melee, Japan had ballots, that's why we got Ganondorf for example and Saki Amamiya in Brawl seems to be an assist thanks to his japanese popularity.

The unusual characters are only a few, and even among those, most of them are big part of Nintendo history (G&W, Rob, Wii Fit, Duck Hunt... Strangely enough, they are all tied with hardware and accessories). The only 2 real oddities for me are Ice Climbers and Pirahna Plant... And the ICs are now beloved by the Smash Community (until they chaingrab).

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
God i hate quoting these long posts lol

He doesnt know what hes doing because hes not adding enough modes beyond the basic smash modes. Break the targets should be back in full swing, and so should board the platforms - with multiplayer versions incorporated as well. Get rid of that dumb spirits mode. thats a waste of space and time. And bring in new things like smash ball (soccer/basketball/voleyball type games). The smash engine can do so much more than just be a fighting engine.

And ya, not adding characters like Geno, Dixie kong, skull kid, isaak, waluigi or banjo means he doesnt know what hes doing. he really really doesnt. It has nothing to do with what characters I want... it has to do withthe characters EVERYONE wants. I want goku and scorpion in the game, but i can understand if they dont make the cut. I'm talking about ESSENTIAL characters here. So i repeat - ya he has no idea wtf hes doing. Hes just a lunatic that coincidentally makes games.

And im not sure if you know what self entitlement means... my argument was that he should be adding ballot characters in the game.. not characters I personally want. A number of the ballot characters happen to be ones i want, but that is not self indulgent.. have you heard of democracy? Cause thats what this is about. Again, as i mentioned above.. if i was losing my **** over goku and scorpion then you can call me a self indulgent *******.

I really dont understand sakurai defenders. You guys try to shoe-horn any argument you can to try to make people who are upset about sakurais impotence look like jerks. It doesnt make sense. we're paying for a product. obviously we want it to be the best it can be.

Not true at all. This is another silly argument. Sakurai keeps adding the goofiest characters. Brawl and smash4 both could have had better character additions. There are about 3-6 characters in each game that could be replaced with better choices. He should be adding popular characters ALL THE TIME. not random nonsense ALL THE TIME. Screw isabelle, screw piranha plant, screw incinaroar, screw all the echos - add one unique instead of all the echos.

And with that all said, I still would not be so disappointed if it weren't for the specific things i highlighted in the op. Read it carefully.

First off you have no idea who was poplar on the ballot , Shrek could have been the most popular as far as you know. I am eternally grateful that you have no say in the roster because sakurai unique picks are some of what makes the game great. The internet community is a very small portion of the community and the characters you mentioned are not as well known as you think they are, I do not know a single person who knows who Geno is or liked him enough to even bring him up. Characters like a new pokemon and Isabelle are characters that appeal to the mass crowd the hardcore fans got ridley and rool who are the last of the major characters that were missing.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hm... So? Sorry, maybe I don't get your point here. Smash always had popular and major characters in each games. In fact, since Melee, Japan had ballots, that's why we got Ganondorf for example and Saki Amamiya in Brawl seems to be an assist thanks to his japanese popularity.

The unusual characters are only a few, and even among those, most of them are big part of Nintendo history (G&W, Rob, Wii Fit, Duck Hunt... Strangely enough, they are all tied with hardware and accessories). The only 2 real oddities for me are Ice Climbers and Pirahna Plant... And the ICs are now beloved by the Smash Community (until they chaingrab).
There are quite a few of unusual characters - especially now with ultimate since there was a ballot and we basically know who was on top. The list of characters ive mentioned that arent likely to be playable are really big time major characters that are absent.

First off you have no idea who was poplar on the ballot , Shrek could have been the most popular as far as you know. I am eternally grateful that you have no say in the roster because sakurai unique picks are some of what makes the game great. The internet community is a very small portion of the community and the characters you mentioned are not as well known as you think they are, I do not know a single person who knows who Geno is or liked him enough to even bring him up. Characters like a new pokemon and Isabelle are characters that appeal to the mass crowd the hardcore fans got ridley and rool who are the last of the major characters that were missing.
there was a ballot analysis and we know roughly who was on the top. Additionally, the ballot was released to the public is my understanding.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
there was a ballot analysis and we know roughly who was on the top. Additionally, the ballot was released to the public is my understanding.
it was never released and if it makes you fell any better PP was prob a quick job they started when most everything else was wrapped up

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
There are quite a few of unusual characters - especially now with ultimate since there was a ballot and we basically know who was on top. The list of characters ive mentioned that arent likely to be playable are really big time major characters that are absent.
Well, I'm curious. Who are the unusual character according to you? Also, who are the garbage newcomer for you already?

I mean, being popular doesn't mean you are automaticaly a major character. I have a lot of respect for the Isaac community on Smashboards, but I think you don't realise how big it is that Isaac simply managed to comeback as an assist. It's already something huge in it's own right for a dormant serie that is relatively niche. And why I'd really like to see a new Zelda character, the Skull Kid hype blew up thanks to the chair and the Moon assist. I don't believe he was a "ballot character", especially when other Zelda characters were higher than him in a big compilation of various fan ballot results (should try to find that again).

Plus, as much as I want a Zelda newcomer, the serie is well represented, it goes beyond playable characters.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This also is not a correct statement. I see why you'd say this, but at least for me, the leaks have nothing to do with it. I trusted verg the whole time and i was expecting incinaroar and ken as the final characters. but i was also expecting geno in the place of ****ing piranha plant, and i was not expecting isaak to get deconfirmed by being an assist again. These are characters high on the ballot, seriously, put them in. Quit being such a tight ***.

And as ive mentioned before, people arent upset about THEIR character.. theyre upset that SOO MANYYY hugely popular characters are being shafted and ***** in a bio-hazardous garbage dump.
"The leaks have nothing to do with it"

"I trusted verg"

*gets upset when :ultpiranha: comes in place of a leaked character*

My Point.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Well, I'm curious. Who are the unusual character according to you? Also, who are the garbage newcomer for you already?

I mean, being popular doesn't mean you are automaticaly a major character. I have a lot of respect for the Isaac community on Smashboards, but I think you don't realise how big it is that Isaac simply managed to comeback as an assist. It's already something huge in it's own right for a dormant serie that is relatively niche. And why I'd really like to see a new Zelda character, the Skull Kid hype blew up thanks to the chair and the Moon assist. I don't believe he was a "ballot character", especially when other Zelda characters were higher than him in a big compilation of various fan ballot results (should try to find that again).

Plus, as much as I want a Zelda newcomer, the serie is well represented, it goes beyond playable characters.
the fake leaker is what got skull kid started

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
"The leaks have nothing to do with it"

"I trusted verg"

*gets upset when :ultpiranha: comes in place of a leaked character*

My Point.
Geno was never leaked. That was just speculation, and its upsetting cause hes very popular, sakurai wants him in the game, he'd fit in perfectly, hes a classic character who should be revived, and he'd be fun AF to use. You're making assumptions about what im saying.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Geno was never leaked. That was just speculation, and its upsetting cause hes very popular, sakurai wants him in the game, he'd fit in perfectly, hes a classic character who should be revived, and he'd be fun AF to use. You're making assumptions about what im saying.
Is your idea of a classic character really someone from a one-off RPG spinoff from a much bigger franchise that has left said character behind?

Because as much as I like Geno, I can't really call him a classic at all.

Top Bottom