• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am really not excited for this game any more - possible spoilers

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It hurts me too. Every day I power on my Switch and see SSBU already downloaded...I cry a little bit when I remember that it still can't be played until release day.
I find myself flirting with the idea of setting up some manner of internet proxy to analyze the traffic to determine what code the switch is looking for to authorize the game to be played, but that's probably a futile effort at best and asking for my switch and copy of the game to be permanently deauthorized at worst.

Khao

Smash Lord
Food for thought.

I keep seeing people online about how Piranha Plant is such a massive insult to fans everywhere. How it was not a ballot pick. How it was not a requested character. How no one wanted it. How it's a worthless addition. How they should've added (insert Dudley-of-the-moment's character here) instead of this thing.

This perception does not even remotely exist whenever I talk to casual Smash fans in real life. People are excited to see this character. They're not hardcore players. They don't visit forums. Chances are, they didn't even know the ballot was a thing. But they still love to play Smash, among other things. Believe it or not, these kind of people are the majority of the audience for this game. Piranha Plant is for them. We already got our Ridleys and our K. Rools, they've gotta let those players have a character too. If literally all the characters were picks for the hardcore forum users, these players are gonna end up with a game where they might not even recognize any of the new characters. There have to be characters for every type of player.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I find myself flirting with the idea of setting up some manner of internet proxy to analyze the traffic to determine what code the switch is looking for to authorize the game to be played, but that's probably a futile effort at best and asking for my switch and copy of the game to be permanently deauthorized at worst.
Definitely not worth it. We are just weeks away from the game coming out. Play it safe and be patient.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Definitely not worth it. We are just weeks away from the game coming out. Play it safe and be patient.
I've looked and no one in the modding community even begins to mention being able to access downloaded games early.

The data itself must be encrypted so there's no chance of getting into it until the server releases the validation code on Dec 7th (not without an NSA-level super computer for encryption breaking, anyway...).

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who watched the first gameplay trailer for Smash and got disappointed right away. I saw Mario jump out of that pipe and went, this just looks like Wii U. A lot of the returning characters didn’t spark my interest either as I only cared for Wolf and Snake returning.

I would say the highlight of the Direct was Daisy. Ridley looked cool to, but liking someone because fans wanted him is different than actually liking a character.

The August Direct was pretty hype though. I only really cared for one character, that being Chrom, but is was nice to see some fan favorites.

I had no problem with Isabelle and will probably play her before anyone asks.

But this last direct had me feeling the same as the first. I felt skeptical and dissapointed again. I think I just realized that this game doesn’t have much going for it outside of its another Smash. I don’t particularly like many of the returning and new comers this game has. The modes look heavily rushed and underdeveloped. Seriously, Spirits is just Events Mode, but you win images, Yeah..... The stages are just, no. Why don’t we have more new stages.

I’m not a competitive Smasher, so I really don’t care about the new mechanics. I just wanted more to do. Where’s story mode, trophies, stage builder? I know the Smash community hates Brawl, but I really wish more was taken from Brawl and not Wii U. Brawl had a 3 year development and was able to add so much. It felt like there was large amounts of passion put in to make that the best Smash, but I feel we’ve only gone backwards. Brawl had around the same development time as Smash Ultimate, and had a completely new engine that needed to be developed, so why does Ultimate have seemingly less for 20 dollars more

To put it in perspective

Brawl had:
A new engine
A story mode with Subspace
18 New fighters
A stage builder
Trophies
Stickers
Around 30 stages
Events
Home Run Contest
Boss Battles
Master Pieces

Ultimate:
Uses Wii U engine
10 new fighters + 6 returning
Spirits - basically stickers
5 New stages

Pyr

Smash Lord
Ultimate:
Uses Wii U engine
10 new fighters + 6 returning
Spirits - basically stickers
5 New stages

Come now.

Ultimate has:
Revamped engine and mechanics,
25 total incoming fighters (includes echos, returning vets, and new fighters) + a guarantee of (5)6 DLC characters
5 new stages and 43 legacy stages returning (55 total stages from 4 compared to 103 in Ultimate)
A story mode
Spirits, which is absolutely nothing like stickers were. Closer example is equipment, but then it's far deeper then equipment was.
Improved online and online rankings
Hazard Toggle
SAVING RULESETS FINALLY

If you're going to make a comparative list, at least try to actually compare the items.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Food for thought.

I keep seeing people online about how Piranha Plant is such a massive insult to fans everywhere. How it was not a ballot pick. How it was not a requested character. How no one wanted it. How it's a worthless addition. How they should've added (insert Dudley-of-the-moment's character here) instead of this thing.

This perception does not even remotely exist whenever I talk to casual Smash fans in real life. People are excited to see this character. They're not hardcore players. They don't visit forums. Chances are, they didn't even know the ballot was a thing. But they still love to play Smash, among other things. Believe it or not, these kind of people are the majority of the audience for this game. Piranha Plant is for them. We already got our Ridleys and our K. Rools, they've gotta let those players have a character too. If literally all the characters were picks for the hardcore forum users, these players are gonna end up with a game where they might not even recognize any of the new characters. There have to be characters for every type of player.
Thank you for this.

I'll take an example: my roommate. He is a casual smash fan (it's mostly me who got him into Nintendo, he was more a PC player prior of this). He is not really familiar with old Fire Emblem games, nor a fan of Pokémon, but it doesn't stop him from enjoying Ike or Charizard. With the last direct (that I saw before him), I told him "you have a new main", knowing that Pirahna Plant was for him. And I was right: the craziness of the character alone makes him want to play the plant.

The plant isn't the character that the Smash community awaited, for sure. It's a bonus, the surprise character of Ultimate. It works exactly because it's unexpected to see a common enemy being playable. For someone who wanted to see Medusa for a poison mechanic added, I'm also excited to play that plant, instead of thinking that it took my "poison spot".

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The key reason to be hyped for Ultimate is that they're finally building the game with the idea that SSB can be both a party game AND a competitive fighter, and that they should embrace both sides of this potential.

I feel like SSB4 was developed as a party game and only in post-release balance patches did it focus on competitive play.

I predicted that the next SSB game would likely focus on competitive aspects a great deal more and that appears to be true.

Melee may be competitive but it became that way purely by accident. Brawl was...well, Brawl, and SSB4 tried as an afterthought.

But Ultimate is embracing the fact that people will be playing SSB at a tournament level, and that alone is worth being hyped over.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Food for thought.

YAAASSSS QUEEN PREACH

People on this forum / on Reddit / elsewhere acting like Sakurai needs to pander any further to their obscure meme pick when in reality I would be surprised if all the websites and such combined make up even 20% of the Smash playing population. Nobody cares. Piranha Plant is omegahype and every smasher I know irl feels the same way

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
It hurts me too. Every day I power on my Switch and see SSBU already downloaded...I cry a little bit when I remember that it still can't be played until release day.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't been this hyped for a videogame in a LONG time if ever in my 20+ years of gaming. Yeah a lot of that has to do to KKR FINALLY returning to gaming after 10 long years. Had he not been added I still would've gotten the game (obviously) but man does it feel good to finally get my FAVORITE Nintendo character added after 17 years of waiting. But besides K.Rool, :ultridley::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultwolf: were all hype asf additions to me as well. I haven't been this excited for a newcomer roster since Brawl. Also Squad Strike, 100 stages, hazard toggle, 900 music tracks, Smashdown, Tourney mode returning, a good classic mode again. All extremely hype to me so yes it saddens me when I see that icon on my Switch menu knowing I can't play it yet. But hey at least I got Pokemon Let's Go to play to keep me busy (hopefully).

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm more excited by the fact that the game is going to shake up competitive viability for all characters than anything. Leaving SSB4 as Bayo/Cloud dominated meant the entire game ended on an extremely sour note.

We need a new competitive SSB game and Ultimate seems to be aiming to do that. Don't be surprised if the first balance patch does a LOT to buff the lower tiers as they're discovered as well.

As for characters, KKR and Ridley are hype AF, but I understand being disappointed in a lack of other fan favorites that didn't make it in. Without KKR and Ridley, I wouldn't be very hyped for this game, either (I'd still be getting it, just nowhere near as hyped).

The final direct was incredibly weak as well. We have to remember that the direct prior to that revealed 5 new characters, one of which blew the needle off the hype meter. Having the last direct be such a weak finish was like having Metallica take the stage first, only to be followed by a crappy cover band afterwards.

You could honestly skip the last direct and probably be MORE hyped for SSBU.
I do agree with this BUT i dont know how competitive the game is going to be. I know its looking to be better than smash4 and i assume brawl, but is it gona be at the level of melee and project m? or at least even kinda close? I'm not sure. im gona have to feel it for myself.

OH and btw, for the record everyone.. i actually like piranha plant. It looks like a fun character. I would prefer geno or anyone else over PP, but he does look like an interesting character. The inclusion of PP isnt my major issue at all.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Come now.

Ultimate has:
Revamped engine and mechanics,
25 total incoming fighters (includes echos, returning vets, and new fighters) + a guarantee of (5)6 DLC characters
5 new stages and 43 legacy stages returning (55 total stages from 4 compared to 103 in Ultimate)
A story mode
Spirits, which is absolutely nothing like stickers were. Closer example is equipment, but then it's far deeper then equipment was.
Improved online and online rankings
Hazard Toggle
SAVING RULESETS FINALLY

If you're going to make a comparative list, at least try to actually compare the items.
Stickers and Spirits are practically the same thing. Other than the weird Primary, Secondary system, they function the exact same. Stickers were able to boost characters skills. Equipment and Spirits just took the concept and improved it a little bit?

Brawl had 31 new stages along with 10 returning. So yes there is half, but at the same time Brawl came before it, so of course there would be less. It also hurts that Ultimate spent more time using old stages, than new.

I think my problem is that the game is using the Wii U engine and models clearly. There’s new lighting, but the characters seem unchanged significantly outside of a few. Sakurai now has a way bigger team, yet the content seems lacking.

With a smaller team, Sakurai got Stickers, trophies, a stage builder, more new stages, more new characters, and a full story mode.

Ultimate took out tons of modes, has most of its characters be clones/echoes which are easier to make and many are returning meaning no no move set is needed. Same with stages, they just took old ones, probably updating assets from Brawl and 3DS for the most part. Wolf, Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle were all probably Brawl assets that they took. This game should be bigger than Brawl, same with Wii U, but instead they up characters and stages but forget everything else existeted. It sort of hurts after playing Wii U and getting bored way quicker than with any other Smash.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I do agree with this BUT i dont know how competitive the game is going to be. I know its looking to be better than smash4 and i assume brawl, but is it gona be at the level of melee and project m? or at least even kinda close? I'm not sure. im gona have to feel it for myself.

OH and btw, for the record everyone.. i actually like piranha plant. It looks like a fun character. I would prefer geno or anyone else over PP, but he does look like an interesting character. The inclusion of PP isnt my major issue at all.
Those are valid questions, but I feel like we're at the point where, if any SSB game is going to be intentionally as competitively viable as possible, it's this one.

Though, we're ultimately going to need to wait and see.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I'll be honest. I viewed the negative comments about Piranha plant as just a very vocal minority. I see more people support him than bash him. The ones that bash him just talk alot more about him. Now as for my personal views on the new characters...

:ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultridley::ultkrool: were all characters I wanted and am happy about their inclusion. Also seeing :ultsnake::squirtle::ivysaur::ultyounglink::ultwolf: return is just icing on the cake for me.

:ultsimon: I'll be honest I never supported him. He fell under the category of a character with a cool concept that would work but personally had no attachment too so you could say I was neutral towards him similar to Geno.
:ultisabelle: for me fell under the same category as Simon and Geno...
:ultpiranha: Never asked for it and I normally roll my eyes at weird choices such as :ultgnw::ultrob: and :ultwiifittrainer: but something about :ultpiranha: I actually like... it's a weird feeling? Is something wrong with me?

:ultdarksamus: Never wanted this character... and never understood why it ( I personally see Dark Samus as genderless) was so highly requested. However, I enjoy playing :ultsamus: and since we seemed to be getting echoes anyway for a multitude of fighters I'll take it.
:ultchrom: Didn't want another FE character and his inclussion pissed me off but... I'll at least try him out first. Why? I guess the former :ultroy: player in me wants to give him a shot.
:ultdaisy: just decided to be happy for the people that did want her.

hmm looking back on this post... i seem to be harder to anger than when I was younger, atleast as far as smash bros is concerned....

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Stickers and Spirits are practically the same thing. Other than the weird Primary, Secondary system, they function the exact same. Stickers were able to boost characters skills. Equipment and Spirits just took the concept and improved it a little bit?

Brawl had 31 new stages along with 10 returning. So yes there is half, but at the same time Brawl came before it, so of course there would be less. It also hurts that Ultimate spent more time using old stages, than new.

I think my problem is that the game is using the Wii U engine and models clearly. There’s new lighting, but the characters seem unchanged significantly outside of a few. Sakurai now has a way bigger team, yet the content seems lacking.

With a smaller team, Sakurai got Stickers, trophies, a stage builder, more new stages, more new characters, and a full story mode.

Ultimate took out tons of modes, has most of its characters be clones/echoes which are easier to make and many are returning meaning no no move set is needed. Same with stages, they just took old ones, probably updating assets from Brawl and 3DS for the most part. Wolf, Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle were all probably Brawl assets that they took. This game should be bigger than Brawl, same with Wii U, but instead they up characters and stages but forget everything else existeted. It sort of hurts after playing Wii U and getting bored way quicker than with any other Smash.

I feel like you're underselling the game a bit. We still don't know the full extent of the menu, Spirits contains an improved version of Events, where the fight is a direct reference to the relevant Spirit, World of Light is a full adventure mode with bosses and mini games and other elements that we have yet to see, and we should not undersell the arduous task of bringing back and revamping every single fighter. Plus the DLC will keep the hype train putting along for another year at least.

Basically, I'm not willing to pass final judgement on the game until I have it in hand, but I choose to remain hopeful.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Food for thought.

Exactly. For example, I don't know a single person in real life that have ever played Super Mario RPG to know the character Geno, only people on forums, and for some reason, it looks like every Smash fan wants this character in the game, but maybe.. it can be just a noisy minority on internet... Not that the character doesnt deserves, he has a cool design, but he is a character of a very nich game of a spin-off of a mario game... So.. is the hype for this character really justifyed? The same to Waluigi. He doesnt even have a game like Wario. He is just a purple luigi, that barely has representation in games, so why it deserves to be in Smash? Is it just because it would feel nice to have all the team avaiable on the selection screen? I preffer not have the team completed but instead, add a more relevant or memorable character, that when I play the game with my friends, even friends that doesnt usually play Nintendo games, will recognize the character because it is a well known Nintendo character or a relevant third party character. Geno and Waluigi arent any of these things.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord

No they don't Brawl stickers were balanced via Size and were only usable in Story mode. They are obtained in all game modes and the effects that they had were generally, "Give item" or stat increases. Spirits, on the other hand, have been shown to affect stats, abilities themselves, fighter properties, stage properties, etc. They appear available outside of the Story mode and obtainable only in story mode or their supported modes. Again, closest comparison is equipment, but it really is a loose comparison. That, and there is a consistent limit to the amount of spirits you can use. (1 primary and 1-3 secondary)

Brawl stickers are nothing like Spirits. I liked Brawl stickers, by the way. Made Subspace more interesting. No flinch stickers for life!

With the stages, that's just silly. "Of course it would be less." It's a direct comparison. And ultimate spent time not only improving old stages, but remastering them. Layout is simple. Redoing all the assets for most of the non-N64 returning stages? That isn't a "hurt" situation. The stage addition count stands.

I understand why you might see that, in regards to engine. It's Smash 4's base engine, but it also appears to be revamped with a ton of tweaking. A lot of the models are either updated or outright new. I just can't see what you see, but then we might be looking at different things when we refer to the engine.

I disagree with the "with a smaller team" statement. We got more stages, with most of them completely re-vamped outside of layout, more new characters overall with more on the way, and, as per Reggie, another full story. Sure, we lost some modes, but I do fully believe that they may be includable later and/or were appropriate losses. Trophies I agree with, but then I understand the removal towards time gains as well. I can only imagine all the time that was spent gaining licensing for most of the roster.

Most of the characters are not clones or echoes. That's simply demonstrable fact and it can even be argued that some of the clone/echos aren't even really clone/echos. Ken is the strongest example there. As for new movesets no longer being needed, and stages, there is a ton of work that goes into updating those assets. And, for the most part, movesets were altered pretty heavily from the vets returning. Look at Wolf. Foundations are there, but actual moves are different on several moves. That's just an example. Also, I really hope you aren't saying that the assets of Brawl vets returning weren't taken straight from Brawl. That's just... Dude. They are clearly re-done.

Ultimate is bigger then Brawl and Smash 4. Spirits looks huge and we never know what they may add in the future. I've a feeling Spirits will scratch the 1p mode itch and Classic will be the most unique it's been ever. I can understand why some classic 1p modes were scrapped, but it's possible they may see a return. I enjoyed Home Run Contest as much as anyone, and I do miss the coin minigames from the previous entries. Even with that said, in my view, this game will have enough to keep solo players happy while also appealing to the competitive crowd.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Yeah, and it took twice as long to make that game. And in Sakurai's eyes the cutscenes were a total waste because they just got uploaded to the internet. And the "ton of modes" that were removed was mostly filler. Citing the loss of Home-Run Contest is funny to me because it's a 10 second mode where the characters are irrelevant and you are just hitting a sandbag over and over. Can you honestly tell me you think anyone ever played that for more than 5 minutes at a time?

Besides, has that much really been removed or does it just seem that way?
  • Classic returns and is unique for each character
  • Spirits Mode added
  • Adventure Mode added
  • All Star is now integrated into Multi-man
  • Events are integrated into Spirits and each Spirit seemingly has a unique event (which is insane if you think about it)
  • Special Orders were essentially Spirit battles but more random
  • Training is more practical
  • Multi-man is integrated into one as they were practically the same anyway minus Cruel Smash which is still there
  • Target Blast gone
  • Home-run contest gone
  • For Glory gone but replaced with more robust options
  • Stage Builder gone
  • Trophies are now Spirits
  • Equipment is now Spirits
  • Custom Moves gone minus Mii Fighters (lets be honest, did anyone really use them?)
  • Trophy rush is unnecessary because of Spirits mode
  • Masterpieces gone
  • Squad Strike added
  • Smash Down added
  • Tournament mode returns
  • Smash Tour gone (lol)
(Note: modes that didn't change at all aren't listed)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Food for thought.

It's almost as if the whiny complainers on the internet are a vocal minority...

StormC

Smash Hero
Only real disappointment is lack of new stages, but having over 100 in total helps with that.

I got my two most wanted newcomers of the last decade :ultkrool::ultridley:and my favorite game character ever back :ultsnake:along with one of my Brawl mains :ultwolf:. Even :ultcloud: not being cut is a minor miracle. We got some sizable single player content in the form of World Of Light. Everything else is a bonus.

I’ll never understand putting your hopes and dreams on obscure characters like Skull Kid or third party characters like Geno. With all of the companies already in the game, expecting a third party character is a crapshoot, especially one from a new company. IMO you should never outright EXPECT a third party because negotiations are more complicated than we can ever imagine. I wanted Banjo too but I’m not going to act like Nintendo messed up to not negotiate with Microsoft or that Smash is missing an essential piece.

Sorry if your most wanted didn’t get in. I've been there. But with over 70 characters and 100 stages, I can confidently say this will be the best $60 I ever spent.

...check with me in February 2020 how I feel about the 25 bucks I spent on the DLC.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
YAAASSSS QUEEN PREACH

People on this forum / on Reddit / elsewhere acting like Sakurai needs to pander any further to their obscure meme pick when in reality I would be surprised if all the websites and such combined make up even 20% of the Smash playing population. Nobody cares. Piranha Plant is omegahype and every smasher I know irl feels the same way
Food for thought.

These two posts do touch on something. One is that many of the picks people are howling about now are not even big names in their own series or from franchises that are pretty obscure/not mainstream at all. The second post is correct in its statement that the roster should not simply be decided by whichever characters happen to win forum popularity contests. Ultimate's newcomers actually had an incredibly diverse array of characters that appealed to different audiences.

Ridley and K. Rool scratched the itch of giving the desires to the "core" Smash Bros. fanbase, and these two characters had far bigger followings than any other the characters people are howling about now (bandwagoners need to actually discover characters for themselves instead of simply liking a character just because an internet clique told them to). Inkling and Incineroar gave tribute to major Nintendo games released after Smash 4's release (Splatoon and Pokemon Sun/Moon). Daisy and Isabelle are big for casual Nintendo fans. Dark Samus and Chrom are additional bones thrown to "core" Smash Bros. fans. Simon Belmont and Ken are icons to gaming in general. Richter is a big deal to Castlevania fans, and is very well received despite not many knowing who he is (seriously how? Symphony of the Night is the most popular game in the series, and you play as Richter for the beginning and his opening dialog with Dracula is extremely well known).

Pirahna Plant might very well be one of the few characters added after Smash 64 that even non-gamers know who it is. Pirahna Plants in general are probably the most well known Mario enemies after Goombas and Koopa Troopas and that says a lot.

Exactly. For example, I don't know a single person in real life that have ever played Super Mario RPG to know the character Geno, only people on forums, and for some reason, it looks like every Smash fan wants this character in the game, but maybe.. it can be just a noisy minority on internet... Not that the character doesnt deserves, he has a cool design, but he is a character of a very nich game of a spin-off of a mario game... So.. is the hype for this character really justifyed? The same to Waluigi. He doesnt even have a game like Wario. He is just a purple luigi, that barely has representation in games, so why it deserves to be in Smash? Is it just because it would feel nice to have all the team avaiable on the selection screen? I preffer not have the team completed but instead, add a more relevant or memorable character, that when I play the game with my friends, even friends that doesnt usually play Nintendo games, will recognize the character because it is a well known Nintendo character or a relevant third party character. Geno and Waluigi arent any of these things.
The funny thing is that you are right that Pirahna Plant is more well known than Waluigi and especially Geno. Heck, I would venture to say Pirahna Plant is more well known than most of Ultimate's roster and even half of the playable Mario characters (Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr., Rosalina, Daisy). If you played a Super Mario stage ever in your life you have probably come across a Pirahna Plant or a variation of it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, and it took twice as long to make that game. And in Sakurai's eyes the cutscenes were a total waste because they just got uploaded to the internet. And the "ton of modes" that were removed was mostly filler. Citing the loss of Home-Run Contest is funny to me because it's a 10 second mode where the characters are irrelevant and you are just hitting a sandbag over and over. Can you honestly tell me you think anyone ever played that for more than 5 minutes at a time?

• Spirits Mode added
  • Adventure Mode added
  • Events are integrated into Spirits and each Spirit seemingly has a unique event (which is insane if you think about it)
  • Multi-man is integrated into one as they were practically the same anyway minus Cruel Smash which is still there
  • Target Blast gone
  • Home-run contest gone
  • Stage Builder gone
  • Custom Moves gone minus Mii Fighters (lets be honest, did anyone really use them?)
  • Masterpieces gone
  • Squad Strike added
  • Smash Down added
  • Smash Tour gone (lol)
I'll admit I'm probably one of the few people who played Home-Run Contest fairly regularly. It just felt like a staple to me more than anything. A constant. I'm sad to see it's gone, but I'm still hyped beyond belief for Ultimate. And hey, if Home-Run Contest was the price needed to get Chrom playable in Smash, that's more than a fair trade.

That being said, I'd love it if they just added it in an update one day. Hell, same with Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze. I can dreeeeeeam.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Food for thought.

Thank you for this.

I'll take an example: my roommate. He is a casual smash fan (it's mostly me who got him into Nintendo, he was more a PC player prior of this). He is not really familiar with old Fire Emblem games, nor a fan of Pokémon, but it doesn't stop him from enjoying Ike or Charizard. With the last direct (that I saw before him), I told him "you have a new main", knowing that Pirahna Plant was for him. And I was right: the craziness of the character alone makes him want to play the plant.

The plant isn't the character that the Smash community awaited, for sure. It's a bonus, the surprise character of Ultimate. It works exactly because it's unexpected to see a common enemy being playable. For someone who wanted to see Medusa for a poison mechanic added, I'm also excited to play that plant, instead of thinking that it took my "poison spot".
You guys should have done the only sensitive thing by forcing the online community's opinions down those people's throats. If you ever spot a casual fan saying "oh hey, Piranha Plant looks cool" slap them across the face, tie them to a chair and force them to visit sites like GameFaqs. Make them understand that they are wrong while everyone else who is asking for Isaac, Waluigi or Geno is right. If they respond by saying "who is Isaac?", smack them on the other cheek, tape them a GBA on their heads until they finish playing Golden Sun and Golden TLA.

It's all in good nature of course, as long that they admit they were wrong.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

• Spirits Mode added
  • Adventure Mode added
  • Target Blast gone
  • Home-run contest gone
  • Stage Builder gone
  • Masterpieces gone
  • Squad Strike added
  • Smash Down added
  • Smash Tour gone (lol)
Going on to Home Run contest, I have feeling the only reason it is gone because the way knockback works now would kinda **** with it too much

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

The game is absurdly updated on content on it's core gameplay. It has almost double the number of stages of the WiiU version, with 5 more coming and a 3x multiplier because of the Omega and Battlefield versions. 7 original characters, 5 returning from previous games but needed to be remade for the WiiU game, and 5 more (at least) coming with DLC, and 7 Echo (that's just more simple, but ok). On the gameplay, relevant changes are the addition of the perfect shield, air dodge and changes on ultimates of some fighters. All this to me is enough to justify the new game.

The reuse of assets is fine for me, we are not really moving from a generation to another more powerfull, we are moving from a console that failed for a new console that has a very similar power, but happens to be a hybrid. So, why not use the assets? If they just rebuild everything, they would not be so much different from what they are, they would just feel different because another artist would design them, but the objective would be achieve what Smash 4 already achieved. All this work would probably kill the possibility of we having all the fighters back and the new fighters and all the stages, and to me, the work they had to bring all the characters that weren't on the WiiU game, plus the stages, plus the echos, plus the characters and stages that are coming on dlc (and maybe game modes?), already justifies the reuse of WiiU assets. If not, I imagine the game being released with a similar ammount of content of the WiiU game. Assets of previous games probably needed to be completely remaked, cause the models have low polygon count, a super weaker texture work, lack of details... so all things before the WiiU version had a lot of work on top of it. And they made changes on the engine, on the lighting, shadows, on the models and textures and many animations, many things were updated, but yeah, you can't expect it to look, in general, very different from the WiiU version, it's the sequel of that game that was released basically on the same generation.

The only problem to me with this game is the game modes and.. I would say trophies, but I never really cared about them. But I know many people liked it, and change it for spirits, that are just sprites of characters, can be a huge let down to many people. But again, this is not the core of the game. And we don't know how good is the Spirits mode yet, so I will reserve myself from complain about the singleplayer content after I play the game. I'm just not too optimistic about it, but I'm also intriged about Spirits cause I think it has potential to be really good.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
This thread should be closed because it's basically dumping salt on each other for either being disappointed in the game or being hyped for the game.
This post basically sums up this entire topic. This thread should be closed since it is basically no better than the topics you see on the GameFAQs Smash boards.

If you want to be disappointed with the game then fine be disappointed. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not disappointed with a few things involving the game but you don't see me making rant topics about my issues, because I know that I'm not going to get what I want one hundred percent of the time. Just grow up and accept the fact that you won't always get what you want.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I feel like you're underselling the game a bit. We still don't know the full extent of the menu, Spirits contains an improved version of Events, where the fight is a direct reference to the relevant Spirit, World of Light is a full adventure mode with bosses and mini games and other elements that we have yet to see, and we should not undersell the arduous task of bringing back and revamping every single fighter. Plus the DLC will keep the hype train putting along for another year at least.

Basically, I'm not willing to pass final judgement on the game until I have it in hand, but I choose to remain hopeful.
I think saying that he is underselling it is putting it lightly. One has to do a ton of mental gymnastics, a bunch of imaginary push ups and compete in a couple of illusionary triathlons to pretend that Ultimate's content is lesser than Brawl's.

Yeah, Brawl had more new stages, but it only has a total of 41 vs Ultimate's 103. It had more new characters but it only has 39 vs the current iteration's 70 something. Every stage and character that wasn't in Smash Wii U had to be recreated from the ground up, so no porting over from past games. But rather than acknowledging it he focuses on the echoes.

He acknowledges the work done in Brawl for trophies, adventure mode and stickers, despite the fact that Ultimate has an adventure mode, revamped classic and spirits, and that stages and characters add much more replayability value to the game. The loss of trophies hurts, but at the end of the day they are a cosmetic feature with no practical use that you may spend a few minutes gazing at every other play session before going back to the main game. If their absence was necessary to have as many playable characters and stages as possible, then I accept it.

I don't want to sound condescending, but that post wasn't clearly well thought out, is utterly uninformed as it ignores (either purposely or not) aspects in regards to Ultimate's development, thus containing a lot of inaccuracies as a result. Wish some people read what they write before posting.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just don’t know if we can call the content on this game quite yet. Characters and stages, which will inevitably be the meat of the game are obviously incredibly high, not knocking that.

But comparing World of Light to Subspace is jumping the gun just a bit. Of course the likes of Sakurai and Reggie are going to say it’s a full adventure mode, but will it compare to Subspace? Could it be better and with more content? We don’t know the answers to it.

Subspace had a LOT of unique assets and things going on (I desperately hope we get at least one proper great maze section, but I’m not hopeful). It felt like such a significant mode because of that. It felt like the game within a game. The jury is still out on World of Light. The marriage between a massively fleshed out Smash Tour map and endless Event Matches isn’t quite yet there for me in terms of what they’ve shown off (they spent so long on generic Spirits and then not nearly enough on their main story mode by comparison, could be a good thing though). We just need to see.

And we have seen all the other modes for the game at this point outside of maybe a couple things from Spirits. So what we’ve got is what we’ve got and that still concerns me on the level of, are there things that make Smash feel more full available.

Again, the reason Brawl felt like such a full game is how much it crammed in that clearly made the game feel robust and different at times. Subspace I’ve already touched upon. It had a coin launcher mini game that I spent way too long on and was plenty of fun, and the best way for earning trophies we managed to ever see in my opinion. Boss Battles were an interesting gauntlet mode that felt fundamentally different from the rest of the game and really highlighted one of my favorite parts of Subspace. Event Matches and All Star were their own things along with Stadium mode.

There was always something to do for a solo player, and always a different way to play if you ever got bored of the regular stuff. And that’s absolutely my biggest concern going into Ultimate, that there won’t be enough diversity in gameplay. I love Event Matches, but I’m afraid they might be going too far with them and possibly losing some of their unique identity in the process.

I know people will say that Event Matches and All Star are in the game, but they’re really not. All Star especially has been completely ripped out of existence and just turned into a version of multi man unlimited Smash. That’s actively losing a mode no matter how you look at it. Event Modes being the story also seems to be the whole trading in two modes for one, and that feels disappointing. Completely gutting things like Stadium, Stage Builder, and so on all give fewer ways to play and experiment with the game.

Trophies felt like something because of the effort and the descriptions with you building a collection, and I’m not sure Spirits will focus on the whole collecting aspect as much as hey, these are stat modifiers! It’s a little thing, but not focusing on the collection if I understand things correctly from the November Direct just completely devalues them other than necessary gates to play a mode...

They may not have always been the most necessary or most played modes by most, but most of them actively diversified the game in ways separate from characters and stages. They gave Smash more of an identity, and I was super sad to see so much of that go in Smash for Wii U. I’m even more afraid Ultimate will continue moving away from that identity that Brawl established so well.

I’m not disappointed with Ultimate for content as a whole, but they’ve definitely moved the focus of the content, and I can’t fault people for being disappointed in that decision as I am a little too. This also serves as a praise of just how much Brawl managed to get right in every way except for making the core gameplay way too party focused. Maybe Ultimate feels a little too squeaky clean around the edges for me haha.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

• Spirits Mode added
  • Adventure Mode added
  • Target Blast gone
  • Home-run contest gone
  • Stage Builder gone
  • Masterpieces gone
  • Squad Strike added
  • Smash Down added
  • Smash Tour gone (lol)
I think that Squad Strike, Smash Down and Tournament are not really game modes... they are just the same Smash game, with an interface to allow an organization on tournaments, or the thing of block a character that you already used or some other rule... These are things that, if you think about, when playing with friends, you could just organize by yourselves on the regular Smash game. The game is just providing an interface to facilitate this, but the game itself, on all these modes, are the regular Smash game. I appreciate the inclusion, but I can't see these things as new game modes.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, who the new characters are feels like a giant moot point in the long run. I don't play Corrin cause I'm a huge fates fan, I play him because I like his moveset. As long as the new characters are fun and well designed that's what matters. And this game has the most characters by far with a ton of old returning characters and a decent number of new ones, plus it has an absurd stagelist. The multiplayer smash is better than it's ever been by leaps and bounds just in terms of content. Yes, a lot of it is returning content but getting it all in one place and graphically updated required a lot of work and is going to be very rewarding.

The single player disappointed me at first but I have warmed up to the idea of it.

Mob smash: Multiman was always one of the better designed game modes, and with the all star integration the endless smash is going to be more fun and interesting. It's a better use of the all star concept than all star mode, is, anyways. That mode went downhill with the increased roster size.

Classic: The fact that it is a unique, properly themed series of challenges for each character is incredible. Not only is each match play tested to actually be fun (including some unique mechanics here and there), but the fact that you are replaying the same one does give off this feeling of mastering a specific challenge as you get better. Combine this with each character having a new one in order to keep up variety without having to resort to procedural generation, you wind up with what's probably the best classic mode in smash, and one that will be MUCH more of an enjoyable time sink than before.

Spirits: Basically event matches, which were always one of the best single player modes in smash, but taken up to 11 and then up to 12. There's probably going to be triple digit spirit matches out there, well more than event matches in previous games. Combine this with some fun gacha/rpg elements for people who like them and customization of characters for people who like that, and you've got an incredibly robust mode that adds a ton.

World of Light: Cannibalizes spirit battles to tell a story mode. Sure, it's reusing the content, but the spin it adds will make for a very engaging campaign. Plus, it adds boss battles, which will likely get their own boss rush mode which will use All Star mechanics. This was one of the best short-form single player modes in brawl, anyways, so that adds a ton.

The only real thing I'm gonna miss is the lack of any sort of adventure mode/SSE/Smash Run/Master Fortress-esque segments. But hey, maybe there will be some in WOL or classic? Not getting my hopes up on that, but regardless, what small pool of single player modes we have are going to be very robust.

Zenithvox

Smash Rookie
I feel like no matter who was revealed, people were going to complain. Ever since K Rool got announced I knew that they blew their load way too quickly, and it was just a matter of time before people began complaining.
Let's be real. If the game sucks, nobody would care who was in it. Let's be happy that there's this many characters already, and the game is gonna be fundamentally amazing.

tecmo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
egold562
Daily reminder that nobody should feel forced to be excited for ultimate.

Food for thought.

Sorry but anybody can make claims like this but I’m gonna need to see some evidence beyond “ my friend who is a casual agrees so it must be a real trend”.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I've decided I'm simply going to buy an extra copy of Ultimate just so the OP still registers on Nintendo's financial radar as having wanted the game.

Sorry but anybody can make claims like this but I’m gonna need to see some evidence beyond “ my friend who is a casual agrees so it must be a real trend”.
For what it's worth, I've never met anyone who is upset at PP's inclusion. It all positive vibes from my casual player friends.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Was I disappointed that Krystal wasn't playable...AGAIN...Yes....but I still plan on buying Ultimate, and in my case, if she's in the next Star Fox game she becomes a lot likelier to be a playable newcomer next time around...trust me there will be another Smash game after Ultimate, Sakurai has said that he'll keep making them as long as people will keep buying them

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Daily reminder that nobody should feel forced to be excited for ultimate.

Yeah I'm sure he'll get right on that video evidence of people that aren't affiliated with this community at all. My anecdotal experience agrees with his so far. Since it's not really something that's being debated, I'm not so sure it needs evidence to begin with.

Reminder that the vast majority of smash players have never in their lives gone on to this website nor the smash subreddit nor gamefaqs etc etc therefore it is logical to assume they're not sucked into the literally who (take your pick) fandom that these small parts of the internet are and are by extension not basing their expectations of the game on the """core community""" echo chamber.

Everyone has every right to not be hyped for Ultimate, but if one has no interest in the game anymore I'm not sure why one would still be on a board dedicated to discussion of that specific game when all the other smash games still have their own boards, too.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I see a sentiment that often can be boiled down to “Ridley and K. Rool got in, so [popular requested character] should also get in!” It ignores that these two characters were important to the history of their long running franchises (more important than basically any of the requests left), and that these characters have consistently been requested since Melee, while nowadays bandwagoning seems more common than ever.

I also see backlash against characters like say, Sora, because they aren’t among the most requested characters in the diehard Smash fanbase, even though Smash has never been about just adding the top ten most popular characters of each game and always looks to other factors. Cloud was probably less requested in the thick of Smash 4 speculation than half of the newcomers, yet he became arguably the most talked about character reveal for the game because of how insanely iconic he is and the shock factor of the protagonist of a Sony killer app being in Smash.

With K. Rool and Ridley in, outside of Dixie Kong, Toad, and Bandana Dee, it doesn’t feel like there are really any major omissions. Everyone else left is either a side character, from a niche series/game, too new, or third party. That’s why I’m fine with characters like Piranha Plant, and not in a childish “haha they got in and a popular character didn’t!” sentiment, but because Sakurai has already given us so much that asking him to not indulge himself and just keep adding fan favorite characters no matter how unimportant just feels selfish to me at this point.

Be disappointed and hate the game all you want, but ask yourself how realistic your expectations really were after everything we’ve seen in Smash history.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Sakurai could've avoided upsetting a lot of fans by revealing all of the ATs that were wanted playable characters in the first Smash direct (like he did with Waluigi and Ashley).

Isaac, Skull Kid, and Shadow, for example, were all wanted picks (which is why the Grinch faker used some of them), and I would've been ready to pass on SSBU had I just watched my most wanted (who had not been revealed as an AT up until then) get deconfirmed as an AT...

And then.... Piranha Plant, a literal mook that dies to one fireball, is revealed as a playable character.

I mean, I'm immensely grateful KRool and Ridley were added, but I can't help but feel for all of the people who were hopeful, watched their most wanted go down in flames as an AT, then were unable to console themselves by saying "Maybe they weren't relevant enough..." because here's a playable Mario enemy.

If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if this was a deliberate middle finger from Sakurai to all of the fans of these characters, like a true to form "never ask me for anything again".

So yeah, hyped for Ultimate, but I can't blame anyone for losing that hype with the way Sakurai ended the pre launch hype cycle.

Waiting until the final direct to deconfirm all these characters, revealing little of relevance to the multiplayer side of the game, and a sock to the gut for everyone who wanted an unlikely character because they made a character that doesn't even have a NAME playable.

It was enough to kill my hype for half a day, and it only came back thanks to KKR gameplay videos.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sakurai could've avoided upsetting a lot of fans by revealing all of the ATs that were wanted playable characters in the first Smash direct (like he did with Waluigi and Ashley).

Isaac, Skull Kid, and Shadow, for example, were all wanted picks (which is why the Grinch faker used some of them), and I would've been ready to pass on SSBU had I just watched my most wanted (who had not been revealed as an AT up until then) get deconfirmed as an AT...

And then.... Piranha Plant, a literal mook that dies to one fireball, is revealed as a playable character.

I mean, I'm immensely grateful KRool and Ridley were added, but I can't help but feel for all of the people who were hopeful, watched their most wanted go down in flames as an AT, then were unable to console themselves by saying "Maybe they weren't relevant enough..." because here's a playable Mario enemy.

If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if this was a deliberate middle finger from Sakurai to all of the fans of these characters, like a true to form "never ask me for anything again".

So yeah, hyped for Ultimate, but I can't blame anyone for losing that hype with the way Sakurai ended the pre launch hype cycle.

Waiting until the final direct to deconfirm all these characters, revealing little of relevance to the multiplayer side of the game, and a sock to the gut for everyone who wanted an unlikely character because they made a character that doesn't even have a NAME playable.

It was enough to kill my hype for half a day, and it only came back thanks to KKR gameplay videos.
At least, us Krystal supporters found out at E3, but yeah that was a big time oof

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
At least, us Krystal supporters found out at E3, but yeah that was a big time oof
Yeah, it was a mercy to reveal all of those ATs up front instead of waiting until the last direct.

It would've given the Grinch faker far less to work with, too, had Isaac and Shadow been established as ATs already.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Yeah, it was a mercy to reveal all of those ATs up front instead of waiting until the last direct.

It would've given the Grinch faker far less to work with, too, had Isaac and Shadow been established as ATs already.
Indeed, it was disapppointing in our case, but at least it did a few things for us, 1). It showed Nintendo hasn't forgotten her and is aware of her popularity

2). A lot better than just being a trophy,

3). It got to get the Krystal fanbase more hyped then they have been pre Smash 4

Top Bottom