• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Hyrule Warriors

Shog

Smash Ace
My impression so far:
Hooooly ****. They improved what I hated about the Dynasty Warrior 3DS, my only experience with it, and made the game actually challenging. My favourite character is Shiek. I really love using the Darkness X move, if that makes sense. I played 5 hours of it. Totally worth the buy. And the story mode, complete with NO voice acting totally let it work with Zelda. There are still other modes I didn't try.

This game is awsum!

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well looks like Nintendo of Europe has a sense of humor

can't wait for this game to come out

Also, with the Scenario(AKA additional story mode) in the Hyrule Warrior DLC1, makes me curious whether its going to be a compatible story mode to fill in the holes with the villains, or a what if scenario, guess we'll find out but I'm expecting at least 2 new battlefield maps with each pack myself

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I love how my favourite song in this game is an original track. This song is pure hype. Would love to see it in Smash Wii U:

The soundtrack in general is amazing. My favourite remix is probably Twilight Field.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, I'm happy that you guys are liking it so far, and that it's a game that will provide challenges for many moons to come by the sounds of it. Less than one more week until it dawns on the US and the vast white north.

Shog

Smash Ace
Ganondorf, Zelda and especially Shiek are my favourite characters in this game. And dat Cia Fanservice in that one cutscene...

Oh and the NES mode is really, really interesting! I need to look deeper into it.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I pre-ordered Hyrule Warriors like many of us did and (also like many of us) didn't get the pre-order DLC card. So I sent a message off to EB games about it and this was their response:
Hi,
Thanks for contacting us.
Unfortunately, we have temporarily run out of the Hyrule Warriors DLC at customer service.
Your details have been added to a list and if we receive more a replacement code will be emailed to you. J
In the meantime, I would suggest checking with your local store if you have not already.
As for the carrots, they will be added to your account within 2 business days.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us again, or give us a call
Regards
So I went to the EB games I pre-ordered the game with showed him a copy of the email with the pre-order information on it and with in 5 minutes he handed me the DLC pre-order card and I scanned both sides of it so you can both see.

IMPORTANT - If you don't get your DLC card, ask your retailer about it. They might be able to get it for you. Just keep your receipt that says presell or pre-order os similar on it so they know you actually did pre-order the game.
US pre-orders - ask for the pre-order card when you pick up your pre-order on the day. As it might not be in the box, but out in the back of their store.

Ok here are the scans of the pre-order DLC card (inside the spoiler tags just in case someone does not want to see them) and click on the images to see them full size. I wanted TP but Australia only had one retailer and it did Ocarina. Oh well better Ocarina than none.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So has Nintendo made an announcement about when the DLC is coming to America because it's my only hold off at the moment for getting it on launch day.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Been playing this all weekend; absolutely love it. Made me a fan of Impa, absolutely love playing as her so she's my highest level. Gotta try and level up the others too soon.

First real trip up for me was a particular battle where you're given a choice between Lana and Midna...go with Lana. Just...just trust me on this one; Midna's element isn't super hot against a particular hazard on that stage. Don't want to spoil anything past that, but it's the only one where picking the wrong character totally screwed me.

I'm probably going to go ahead and get the DLC too; what is essentially at least four extra characters, a ton of weapons and packs for £13-ish? Seems like a bit of a bargain. That's not even including the three extra free characters coming out next month.

Really impressed with how Nintendo is handling DLC much to my own surprise.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Been playing this all weekend; absolutely love it. Made me a fan of Impa, absolutely love playing as her so she's maxed out already. Gotta try and level up the others too soon.
First real trip up for me was a particular battle where you're given a choice between Lana and Midna...go with Lana. Just...just trust me on this one; Midna's element isn't super hot against a particular hazard on that stage. Don't want to spoil anything past that, but it's the only one where picking the wrong character totally screwed me.
You lost me at "pick Lana".

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since I'm not really a big fan of Lana either(especially over Midna), I don't blame you.
I suppose alternatively you could use the Training Dojo and a high level character to boost Midna's level to the point where she can put a dent in what is in my opinion the first true challenge.
This is the Story Mode, right?
Cause if it were Adventure Mode it wouldn't matter because I would be picking Ghirahim anyway.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Really impressed with how Nintendo is handling DLC much to my own surprise.
I agree for most of the DLC. The pre-order DLC was a total mess though. Announced much too late, Many of the retailers who were supposed to get pre-order DLC cards never got them and it looks quite possible that the the SS pre-order DLC is the only one of the 3 left out of the purchasable DLC costume wise.

I really wish Nintendo didn't allow the Pre-order DLC to have been done this way.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You have to unlock Ghirahim in Adventure Mode, yes. I just remember which mission.
So it's the Twilight Fields level, or after that?
I believe it's the very next chapter in the Twilight Princess scenarios.

I agree for most of the DLC. The pre-order DLC was a total mess though. Announced much too late, Many of the retailers who were supposed to get pre-order DLC cards never got them and it looks quite possible that the the SS pre-order DLC is the only one of the 3 left out of the purchasable DLC costume wise.

I really wish Nintendo didn't allow the Pre-order DLC to have been done this way.
Actually I do agree with this. I got very lucky and managed to just about obtain a Twilight Princess DLC pre-order costume set in the last two days before release, but damn that was close.

Pre-order bonuses like this are a bad thing in general though; I know I'd personally like the option to obtain them all. Whilst I got the one I wanted the most(aka Brunette Zelda), I can't help but feel like I still missed out on both the OoT and SS sets.

Outside the pre-order outfits(and to a lesser extent; the Club Nintendo registry outfits for Ganondorf due to the time limit) I'm still overall impressed...but they could of handled those costume bonuses better.

I guess I'm just relieved it wasn't three separate bonus characters. That would of been pretty terrible.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I am writing this review as many of the professional reviews lacked depth and felt like the reviewers just played the game for 10 minutes then write just enough detail to pass off as a review. So I wanted to write one that goes into some depth for you all. There are minor spoilers in the review so I'll put it in spoiler tags.

Hyrule Warriors is a game blend of the Legend of Zelda and Dynasty Warriors. I personally have never played a Dynasty Warriors game. But I have played every single TV consile Legend of Zelda game many times and I have played Mystic Heroes (a very similar game to Hyrule Warriors) many times. This review will just address the main (im my opinion) points fo the game and at the end I'll give my conclusion.

Graphics/Aesthetics
I have read many people complain that Hyrule Warriors has terrible graphics. I disagree with this totally. Sure there is no High Definition perfection here, but what we get are presented with looks very good. The cut scene videos are very very good. Almost Blizzard Entertainment quality (this is a huge compliment). The only downside I have on the cut scenes is it seems the subtitles and voices were changed to english but the video part is not changed at all, meaning the characters mouths still move in Japanese. I am not 100% sure about this but I thought I felt this as I was watching the cut scenes.

The game menus are done very well. It's easy to understand everything and what each game mode is. The game does not tell you that you have to beat the first Legend Mode level to unlock most of the other game modes. I do have one issue. The view your characters area seems to only have Link and Impa in it for me. Even though I have finished Legend Mode. I don't know why this is. Also at times the game says I have earnt various historical data. But I have no idea where this historical data is to view it. Feels like a bug to me. Other than this the menus look nice and are very easy to navigate.

Music/Sound
I listened to some of the music samples before I played the game and they just sounded wrong to me. But as I listened to the same pieces in game, they sounded ok and well done. I think a traditional legend of Zelda game could not (and should not in my opinion) have a rock/electric guitar styled soundtrack. But for this game it seems to work. You can choose any music you want to play in the background of your levels too which is very nice. Overall I think the music chosen fits in the game very well, but I don't this soundtrack is one people will be playing for generations to come in iTunes. Zelda SNES soundtrack? Sure it's a masterpiece. Hyrule Warriors soundtrack? Very well done, fits very well within the game, but the music does not tell the story here, it only sets the mood while the battles tell the story.

Gameplay
You can play Hyrule Warriors 3 ways.
  • Wiimote
  • WiiU Gamepad
  • WiiU Pro Controller
I have tried all 3 and they all work well. The only concern I have with all 3 is that is there is no way (I know off) to turn off the Gamepad's screen while playing. I know it has information on it but when playing with a different controller I'm not looking at the Gamepad at all.

The good parts though are that one controller is not inherently better than the other. It's just up to your preference. The information on the WiiU GamePad you can get in the in Battle Menu by pressing start so you don't miss out on anything. And you can customise the buttons to any layout you want so everyone should be happy there too. The controller inputs feel relatively lag free in single player despite the large number of sprites on screen at once. Having to memorise which combo attack does what is not really needed. Just smash out any that fancy you and most of them do damage. Also the game features special attacks that use a full focus meter. They are relatively powerful but their animations feel a little disjointed at times. By that I mean not fluid in battle, it's like time stops, the animation sequence for the special attack happens then time returns and you do damage. It's not too bad and you can get used to it but the first few times it did get to me somewhat.

There are three main modes in the game:

Legend Mode
This is the main story. You play mission after mission till you beat the game. Mostly each mission is the same thing, take as many forts as you can and kill whoever the mission objective says while protecting all your allies. And it's not as easy as it seems. Having your main base over run and losing because of this happens a lot if you're not careful. Also knowing when to attack and when to defend is important too. Lots of thought needed. Legend mode has 4 difficulty modes. Easy/Normal/Hard. These difficulties are fine, they progress well and hard is hard in the right ways with the a decent weapon. The difficulties differ mostly with the amount of enemy health and amount of damage you take. The enemy AI for the most part is the same on all difficulties. The difficulty aries from the fast it's harder to protect everyone when things take longer to die and hurt you more. Hero on the other hand, which is the 4th and hardest difficulty just feels like a grind. Hero difficulty is unlocked when Legend mode is completed. You need to seriously grind character levels, good weapons and materials for badges to not have Hero difficulty feel like a marathon where you die in a few hits but the enemies take forever to beat.
Easy/Normal/Hard is a great experience and very fun. Hero is not . . . but this leads me on to the next game mode.

Adventure Mode
This is a map, same one as in Zelda 1. 128 map squares. Each map square has a battle scenario in it. This is where you'll spend a while in to earn everything. The issues here is most of these battles here are very hard and require good weapons and character levels to get A rankings on. And many of the battles here have rewards that require specific characters to earn. This means you have to grind up levels, weapons and materials for badges just to be able to do many of these battles. Also most of the good weapons are unlocked in adventure mode itself meaning you have to grind levels and get the best random weapons you can before you can unlock the better weapons here. The fact you can buy alt levels up to your highest levelled characters level is a very nice idea. But that ***** becomes very expensive, so +EXP attributed weapons help to lessen the grind for EXP and gold (to buy levels) for all of your characters. Adventure mode is a grind and requires a grind before you can do it properly.

Free Mode
This mode is exactly the same as Legend Mode except you can play any character you have unlocked in any level. This is the place that people will farm gold and levels before seriously attempting Adventure mode. All the items (including the skulltulas) that are in Legend Mode can be acquired here too. (Hard/Hero mode Skulltulas still have the same character requirements. Do them on hard and not Hero mode unless you are looking for an insane challenge).

Conclusion
I think Hyrule Warriors overall is a nice concept. A game of one army vs another army set in the Legend of Zelda universe. And it works very well. Looks very good, plays very well. Legend mode does feel a little on the short side. But it is a very interesting mode and the story there I really enjoyed. Past this mode (ie Hero difficulty and Adventure Mode) is a real grind. You are killing the same horde of enemies you've seen in Legend Mode over and over and over. Sure Adventure Mode mixes the formula to a lot to make things interesting, but it's major downside is the barrier to entry. You require some serious grinding to get the A rankings in Adventure Mode. Legend of Zelda fans used to games with little to no grinding (Skyward Sword material grinding excepted) will feel this as a big shock. But if you are ok with this, then you have a great game with many hours of (somewhat repetitive) fun.

My Review Score

8/10

- Dynasty Warrior and Mystic Heroes fans should certainly look at this game.
- Legend of Zelda fans should really think before buying this game as it's nothing like any other Legend of Zelda game before it.
- Fans of games with randomised loot drops (the weapons and materials) should take a look too. If you hate this kind of game, maybe Hyrule Warriors is not for you.
- I personally love the game, bit it's certainly an acquired taste hanse the rating. For me 9/10 is something so good even non fans would love it.

Shog

Smash Ace
I just want to say I managed to do Hero Difficulty with a Level 30 character on the first map. Never again... That was way to brutal! I guess Hero Mode is for high level characters.
And I like Adventure Mode, because you have to play with more thought.

Oh and something more interesting for me: What is your favourite character?
My favourite by far is Zelda, I really love her gameplay style(not the windwaker staff though). Also she's pretty I have to say. Second would be Shiek, speed and the different elements combined with her Power Move(X button) is awesome.

What is your favourite character to play?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Firstly:

I have ended up with two extra Hyrule Warrior Pre-Drder DLC codes. This is thanks to EB games not giving the codes on the day. The codes are for the Ocarina costumes.
If anyone wants to trade me codes for the Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword costumes, I'd be very happy indeed. Just let me know here in topic or PM me if you are interested in this.

(If I can't get anyone interested in a trade I'll then give away the codes).

These are Australian codes, not sure if they work in the UK/US/Japan. If anyone knows if Pre-Order DLC is region locked I'd be very happy too if you could tell us all.

Secondly:

I just want to say I managed to do Hero Difficulty with a Level 30 character on the first map. Never again... That was way to brutal! I guess Hero Mode is for high level characters.
And I like Adventure Mode, because you have to play with more thought.

Oh and something more interesting for me: What is your favourite character?
My favourite by far is Zelda, I really love her gameplay style(not the windwaker staff though). Also she's pretty I have to say. Second would be Shiek, speed and the different elements combined with her Power Move(X button) is awesome.

What is your favourite character to play?
My favourite characters are:
  • Link - I found a nice 420 attack 5 star 8-Bit sword for him in Legend mode and it works well.
    Even with that weapon and a Level 60 Link The first Hero Mode level in Free Mode still took ages to finish.
  • Sheik - Like her for the same reasons you do.
    Funny point is the printed game guide which I have now says Sheik is male.
  • Zelda - Her rapier is a very nice weapon too. I quite like that.

Thirdly:

I have two issues with Hyrule Warriors that might be game bugs, I'm not sure.

1. The area where you can view all your unlocked heroes in the extras area, I only have Link and Impa there even though I have finished Legend Mode. Is this right? Are more characters you've unlocked to play supposed to appear in the view characters area or not? I think I have a game bug here but not sure.

2. At certain times the game would tell me certain "historical data" has been unlocked. How historical data? And can it be viewed somehow? I see nothing about historical data in the game apart from the game saying it's unlocked. So any ideas you have about this would be muchly appreciated.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Thirdly:

1. The area where you can view all your unlocked heroes in the extras area, I only have Link and Impa there even though I have finished Legend Mode. Is this right? Are more characters you've unlocked to play supposed to appear in the view characters area or not? I think I have a game bug here but not sure.

I can help you with that
By simply playing Adventure/NES Map Mode, you will unlock them. I got the Lana Darunia Shiek and Ruto ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I got to Say this game far exceeded my expectations but I did feel the game was a bit lacking although I'm pretty sure you only get one Character in the MM Pack however I'm still super excited about which characters could be in the DLC Pack For TP I was thinking Ashei maybe Russell Perhaps? As for MM I think its Tingle Skull Kid or like an unexpected Character like Happy Mask Salesman (Which would be ****ing Epic if that is the case)

While we are we might as well Enjoy the Hype While it lasts So Here's a jazzy theme from Luigi's Mansion

Last edited:

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
I want this game so much! :cry:
I wanna play with Link :4link:, Zelda :love:, Impa, Sheik, Ganondorf and Lana :love: !

the8thark

Smash Lord
Thirdly:

I can help you with that
By simply playing Adventure/NES Map Mode, you will unlock them. I got the Lana Darunia Shiek and Ruto ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Thanks. But that's not what I mean. What I mean is this:In Legend Mode you unlock Impa, Sheik, Darunia, Ganondorf etc etc. But on the view hero area (in the extras menu) I can only view Link and Impa even though I have unlocked all of the Legend Mode characters to play is. My question is why are the characters I unlocked to paly as in Legend Mode, not showing up in view character mode (in the extras menu)?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been planning on getting the game, but I never did pre-order it. Of course, the main problem with the pre-order bonuses is that you can only pick one of the three DLC packs, and not all three. I may be fortunate enough to get the Ganondorf costumes, thanks to my Club Nintendo account, but the Link and Zelda costumes are pretty much out of my reach at this point.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
A tip from a buddy on gonintendo that may prove useful to you guys
http://www.gonintendo.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129509&view=unread#p1025632

On the subject of dodging something really cool I found about it a day ago that's changed my game completely. It's nothing unique but it's incredibly handy.
Dodge and hold the button while moving= Instantaneous sprint.
I'm dead serious. Fi (and Midna I've heard-- haven't really put much time into her) is less terrible movement-wise now!
Almost forgot, the first dlc weapon has been announced! Epona!(makes me much more hopeful for midnas true form)
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=238285

Miiverse
Aonuma
6 hours agoD
[For Customers in the Americas]
Hello to everyone in the Americas. This is Eiji Aonuma, the Supervisor of Hyrule Warriors.
The game is finally available in North America! Did you get a chance to play it yet?
Hyrule Warriors is a fast-paced Dynasty Warriors game filled with unique elements from The Legend of Zelda series. This game was crafted by the developers at Koei Tecmo Games, who are also fans of the Zelda series, so Zelda fans should have a fun time playing this too.
In addition to our hero, Link, you can play as a variety of characters like Princess Zelda, Impa, and Midna, who makes an appearance in The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess, so I hope you'll try them out.
Beyond that, additional downloadable content will become available in Hyrule Warriors after the game launches. The first DLC pack, Master Quest Pack, will be released on October 16.
The details of that pack will be revealed soon, but today, let me give you a sneak peak at an additional weapon.
The new weapon added through the Master Quest Pack is...Epona!
Some of you may be surprised to hear that Epona is a "weapon", but in Hyrule Warriors, she can team up with Link to attack enemies!
I already had a chance to try out Epona in the game. By riding Epona, I was able to blow heards of enemies away and gallop swiftly through the fields, and I had a lot of fun trying out this re-imagined version of her in Hyrule Warriors.
In the Zelda series, players never had a chance to tackle bosses by galloping around them with Epona like in Hyrule Warriors, so I hope fans will enjoy playing as Zelda characters in a game with a different type of action than you typically find in the original series.
In addition to Epona, the DLC will include other content as well, like new scenarios and costumes that will further expand your gaming experience. If you're interested, please check it out in the Nintendo eShop. I hope these download packs will help deepen and expand your adventures in Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
Epona?! I didn't expect that, this is awesome! :D
Now I want Fierce Deity Link!

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
A tip from a buddy on gonintendo that may prove useful to you guys
http://www.gonintendo.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129509&view=unread#p1025632

Almost forgot, the first dlc weapon has been announced! Epona!(makes me much more hopeful for midnas true form)
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=238285
Where the F*** Do Nintendo Come Up with this? Do they have special Medication to enhance Brain Power and Creative Thinking? If So I need Some!

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I bought this on Amazon and it's gonna ship by Wednesday at the latest! I can't wait to try it out.

EDIT: Also anybody lucky enough to have pre-ordered this back in June during the E3 promotion sale? I was dumb enough to think I wouldn't have enough money for it, so I bought 3 other games instead >_>.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I pick up my copy of the game today.

It's so much fun. I really wish I didn't have work today so I could just play all day.
I know right? This game sucks out your soul easily, I played til 5 am tomorrow (!) despite having (like you) work. Yeah I mixed up the priority on this day badly, thankfully I wasn't that tired

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Completionist review is up.

And...to cut to the chase of the review...

help me

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
I have to say that I am really enjoying the game thus far. . . More-so than I thought I was going to, even. As someone who wouldn't ever purchase a traditional Dynasty Warrior game, the LoZ themes and aspects really do it for me in Hyrule Warriors. I mean, TLoZ is my favorite series of any medium, so the provided fan-service is naturally pleasing to me. I am genuinely enjoying my play-time and am looking forward to unlocking and experiencing more in the coming days.

Edit: Out of the characters that I have played so far (only through the "Legend" mode; Looking forward to trying out Ghirahim afterwards!), Impa is probably my favorite. I was very excited to use her prior to the games release, and she has always been a character I've really been fond of in general. I like what they've done with what I've been able to experience of her so far. Sheik is pretty cool, too.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I wanna know how it performs in two player mode. I'm really leaning towards buying the game even though I really shouldn't. But how does two player hold up? Also how do the multiple characters work? Are you only able to play as them in certain missions or can you go through the whole game as Ghirahim, for example?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I wanna know how it performs in two player mode. I'm really leaning towards buying the game even though I really shouldn't. But how does two player hold up? Also how do the multiple characters work? Are you only able to play as them in certain missions or can you go through the whole game as Ghirahim, for example?
In the main story made you're given to access to certain characters in depending on the mission. However, after clearing a mission you can revisit it with whatever character you want to play as.

Not sure about the co-op yet, just got it today and I won't have a chance to play with a buddy until tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I tried to get a copy of the game today, but where I live, it's sold out at just about every retail store that would carry games. :c
Oh well, I guess now I can wait for that "unlikely any time soon" price drop or just get the game later on.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Downloaded it earlier played through the first two chapters in Legend mode with Link and Impa.

Link is definitely way more fun than I expected him to be.

Impa is glorioussssss.

Is there an unlock guide for everything floating around someone could link too?

Top Bottom