• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Hyrule Warriors

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've made decent progress, though I did have to redo some runs that turned disastrous, due to either poor judgment, and in some cases, even the presence of Gold Skulltulas at bad moments. I even suffered a defeat setback from Gohma at one point, but at least you're able to resume at the last checkpoint if you've been defeated.

On a side note, this was all done on the easy skill level.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I wanna know how it performs in two player mode. I'm really leaning towards buying the game even though I really shouldn't. But how does two player hold up? Also how do the multiple characters work? Are you only able to play as them in certain missions or can you go through the whole game as Ghirahim, for example?
I've only played a few hours with a friend, but so far as I can tell in the main Story mode and in challenges/scenarios Player One is given a limited selection, such as Link in the first Story mission or characters who have certain element weapons (Impa, Lana, Ruto all have water for example) in certain Adventure mode challenges. Player Two can choose whoever they want usually, and in Legends Mode any player can use any character. Although I don't believe you both can be the same character.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd say the co-op is worth it.

In terms of the character selection, P2 is never restricted. They can use any unlocked character and weapon they want, regardless of the story chapter, and regardless of whether or not it's a restricted character mission in Adventure Mode.

As we know, the resolution definitely takes a hit, but if you've ever played a Wii game on a 480p signal, then this should not be unfamiliar to you. It's still perfectly playable. The frame rate will take hits a little more, but it's not that bad, and still perfectly playable.

I kinda wish I had someone to play with me at this point in Adventure Mode, as a lot of the missions are getting too tough for my characters (besides Link and maybe Impa, but they can't unlock everything for me), and just having a second player would make it much more manageable. I could play as the lower level character who as a reward to get in a mission, while my buddy uses Link or Impa to back me up. Also, some of the "Adventure Battles" in Adventure Mode get very hectic, with a lot to manage, so it would be nice to have two people to cover ground.

So yeah if you like co-op games, this one is excellent. Literally the only downside is the resolution thing, and the more likely frame drops, but the former is not unfamiliar to anyone who's ever played a Wii and the game would still look nicer than Twilight Princess, and the latter is barely any worse than what might happen in single-player.

I'd recommend playing through Legend Mode on Normal difficulty, on your own, just to experience the story with the graphics it should be experienced with, and then letting friends join in whenever you're doing the game's various other tasks.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I've made decent progress, though I did have to redo some runs that turned disastrous, due to either poor judgment, and in some cases, even the presence of Gold Skulltulas at bad moments. I even suffered a defeat setback from Gohma at one point, but at least you're able to resume at the last checkpoint if you've been defeated.

On a side note, this was all done on the easy skill level.
You will be glad to know that normal/hard/hero is just a gear check (for the most part). Hard you can do right out of the gates, nothing special needed. Hero difficulty though needs Adventure Mode weapons, and high levels for more damage when farmed to get high star versions of the weapons. Lots of good badges for Hero Mode could be a good idea too as I seemed to take more damage on the one Hero mode level I tried (the first one).

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, I didn't have much time to play yesterday since I was busy, but what I did get to play (beat the Valley of Seers so far) is amazing. I've seen many a review bashing the mashing mechanics, but some of the combos are actually pretty technical, and I love how each character plays quite different from the last from what I see so far. Had a few close calls such as nearly letting the Deku Tree burn down (lol whoops), but I'm getting a hang of the game's pacing it seems (never really played a Dynasty Warriors game). The Zelda part of my brain wants to explore for those Gold Skulltulas and Heart Pieces, but yet the newly forming Dynasty Warriors side of my brain knows that I'm racing the clock to back up my forces... It's pretty intense to be honest.

So far I'm enjoying Link with his Fire Rod (that thing seriously wrecks), Sheik and Lana. Still excited about playing Ruto, Darunia, Zant and Ganondorf though.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
This game is a lot of fun with Couch Co-Op, perfect game to play with a sister :p
(And that Adventure mode allows 2player is awesome and I should ask her to help me again :D)

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Been fooling around in adventure mode, and have been enjoying it, but its made me wonder, how will they do the 3 new ones? I mean them being smaller wouldn't be surprising, but making challenges isn't as bad as you would think.
So my thought is, what if each new one is based off their respective game? a recreation of the overhead views of Hyrule Warriors, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess, in 8-bit? that would be rather cool... also I'm thinking we're getting 2-4 new actual battle maps in each one, I mean you need them for the adventure challenges, then you could add an official battle for each one in free mode
Also the scenario in the master quest pack should be interesting, due to the date, I think its quite possible its a story mode for the 3 villains(maybe Zant and demon tongue too)

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Great couch co-op. The cuccos in this game alone are so hilarious that they alone make it worth it. Wii U really is a must have if local multiplayer is something you value. It's still a shame that you can't do online co-op with voice chat, though. If Nintendo would just provide online experiences to match their local multiplayer, they'd easily have the best console, 3rd party support or no.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
So I decided to buy it yesterday as a reward for six months smoke free. It's a fun game but the thing that brings it down is the difficulty. The thing, even on hard, has baby level difficulty. I am only on the third mission but it is still pretty easy. Impa in particular just owns everything with her moves pretty much combo nonstop along with several specials putting everyone in hitstun for a long time. It's really hard for the CPU to keep up.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So I decided to buy it yesterday as a reward for six months smoke free. It's a fun game but the thing that brings it down is the difficulty. The thing, even on hard, has baby level difficulty. I am only on the third mission but it is still pretty easy. Impa in particular just owns everything with her moves pretty much combo nonstop along with several specials putting everyone in hitstun for a long time. It's really hard for the CPU to keep up.
2 things will help you with that, being Heroic mode(which you unlock by beating legends), and the late level adventure mode challenges which I hear are beastly

Shog

Smash Ace
Although Heroic is a spike in challenge, I think it is really bad challenge in my opinion. And InfiniteTripping, you might be simply to good to enjoy this game, so maybe Heroic isn't fun enough for you

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
You know this game is good and I'm not to much of a die hard zelda fan. Now of course ign will most likely give it a 3 since its not m but I most say it's fun and is gonna last me till March (I bought the hero's of hyrule pack). But so far my favorite moment has to be when your on the one twilight princess stage and you see the majoras mask moon.
But my current objective is to get ghirham since I just unlocked ganondorf.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm nearing the end of Legend Mode, but it gets so annoying whenever you're trying to advance further, and yet you have to backtrack to save your own troops beforehand. It's also annoying how you just can't catch your breath to find the Gold Skulltulas either.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
My brother and I got it yesterday, and so far, I'm really liking it. It's fun doing massive combos on enemies and playing as all these different characters. So far, we've gotten up to the three way split path, and have unlocked Fi and Midna. My favorite character so far is Sheik.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
I'm nearing the end of Legend Mode, but it gets so annoying whenever you're trying to advance further, and yet you have to backtrack to save your own troops beforehand. It's also annoying how you just can't catch your breath to find the Gold Skulltulas either.
You have to do it fast if you ask me. The gold things idc about however one thing that is annoying is volga it's like he doesn't die luckily though I beat the mission right after you play as ganondorf but I'm gonna stop and go get ghirham and zant

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You have to do it fast if you ask me. The gold things idc about however one thing that is annoying is volga it's like he doesn't die luckily though I beat the mission right after you play as ganondorf but I'm gonna stop and go get ghirham and zant
From what I've seen, certain events have to happen before you can safely attack Volga without seeing your health take a heavy blow. This starts to happen after you've completed the fourth stage of Legend Mode.

Shog

Smash Ace
It is interesting how everyone likes Shiek a lot. Shows that Shiek is really good designed gameplaywise

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I got done with Legend Mode yesterday, and I've gotten all the characters from Adventure Mode except for Zant.
I unlocked Ghirahim and he is freaking amazing.

His Special Move basically clears the entire screen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It is interesting how everyone likes Shiek a lot. Shows that Shiek is really good designed gameplaywise
The funny thing is, Ganondorf is the most destructive, as his attacks and combos are apparently capable of slaughtering large amounts of weaker enemies like they're nothing but toothpicks.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Co-op is fantastic in this game, so much you can do when you work as a team!

Done a 16 hour marathon with a friend and completed the story in one fell swoop!

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Honestly, the games biggest absence is Groose, heck in the sealed grounds level they rube it in your face with the Groosenators, and every other era has two heroes in the story, now it could have been Japanese perception, but it could have been he was a late development cut(perhaps so that Zant and Ghiirahim could be playable)... If we're going to end up with a couple of stand alone(or small groups) of character dlc, I would say Goose is on top of the list, along with Saria, Nabooru, and Twinrova

Though moveset options is tricky, there are couple options for Groose, Power Glove fist moveset, Bomb weapon moveset, a Loftwing mounted one..... and of course the final option is a LOZ staple that isn't in HW, but shows up in a lot of LOZ games, and Groose has the stature for, and that would be a Battle Axe!

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
After hearing this originally in Lana w/spear trailer, it was great to hear this in-game. Now I can listen to it all day <3 ITS SOOOO GOOOOOD.

Shog

Smash Ace
Eclipse of the Sun and Moon are tracks I listened often today...they are pretty amazing indeed!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lana is the worst. Like the game suggested I play her for taking down Cia and I failed that mission so hard. Do not like her playstyle at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've began to do Adventure Mode, though I fear that some of the hidden contents may leave me completely confused on how to access them. One of those hidden contents is at the mission where you have to use Darunia to defeat Ruto.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay, I may have become a tiny bit obsessed. Going through Adventure Mode now trying to get Ganondorf and Ghirahim's weapons...Ghirahim's level 2 weapons in particular are an absolute pain in the butt due to all the cuccoos everywhere.

Obtained Impa's level 3 Giant Blade(Biggron's Sword)..just gotta try and get a five star one now. Looks like I'll be replaying the unlock level for a while.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay, I may have become a tiny bit obsessed. Going through Adventure Mode now trying to get Ganondorf and Ghirahim's weapons...Ghirahim's level 2 weapons in particular are an absolute pain in the butt due to all the cuccoos everywhere.
Obtained Impa's level 3 Giant Blade(Biggron's Sword)..just gotta try and get a five star one now. Looks like I'll be replaying the unlock level for a while.
How much do you know about the game? Perhaps you can give me some pointers, I want to max out Midna and Ghirahim, as well as maybe Sheik.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I've been playing the game basically non-stop since Friday, and I gotta say I like it way to much. I apparently really enjoy massacring hundred of enemies in minutes. I beat the Campaign mode on Normal yesterday and have been working my way through the Adventure board trying to get weapons with my brother dropping in occasionally. So far my favorites to play as are Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Midna, Darunia and Ruto. They're all just so satisfying.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think a different kind of crossover would be preferable to a sequel for me. Create something new and reach unexplored ideas. Getting another Hyrule Warriors would only be interesting to me if they went all out with the story instead of predictably not pointing any thought or love into it whatsoever. With all of the environments and characters meshing, they could've done so much, and while I've never played the Dynasty games, I was hoping that through it that the story would've been deep or complex in some fashion, but nah it was pretty standard and each step was just going through the motions like any other Zelda game. Which is fine since that's what I'm used to but I'm pining for more and I thought this unique experience was a chance to offer that fix.

Which isn't to say I dislike the game, it's as good as I figured it'd be in every other regard, and it's awesome we're getting a decent amount of DLC.

Finsom25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
finsom25
3DS FC
3780-9567-3401
So far, my favorite characters have to be Fi, and especially Agiatha. :grin:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
I had beat Legend mode two days prior to this posting. More-or-less what I was expecting in terms of what and how long it was. I will say though, as I began Adventure mode yesterday, I realized that it is pretty darn time consuming. Ha ha. I swear it has been hours and I haven't even completed half of the map (though to be fair, I accept nothing less than an "A" rank). Again, I will say that as someone who doesn't really care about traditional Dynasty Warriors games at all, I am dare I say thoroughly enjoying Hyrule Warriors. . . TLoZ theme really just does everything for me. That being said, I'll have to get back to it at a later time come Friday due to SSB3DS, but at least the future DLC will be (extra) incentive to do so.

Edit: Impa is still my favorite character as of right now (still have yet to unlock everyone / all weapons), but surprisingly I find everyone to have at least something going for them. Darunia was unexpectingly enjoyable for me, too.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Adventure Mode sure can spike up the difficulty at times. Some of the missions are quite ridiculous, and tactics that you could use against the weaker enemies will not save you against the playable enemies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Adventure Mode sure can spike up the difficulty at times. Some of the missions are quite ridiculous, and tactics that you could use against the weaker enemies will not save you against the playable enemies.
Yeah, there are missions where the game goads you into one strategy when what you should do is the exact opposite.

There are certain missions where you must defeat a certain amount of enemies (usually 600) in 10 minutes. As you do so, there will giant bosses showing up. Ignore them. Get as far away from said boss and focus on the enemies. Also, if there are player units like Lana or Impa, kill them because if you don't they'll buff the enemies, making them take longer to kill and hit harder, the latter of which can be devastating when encountering a boss.

There are certain missions where you are only supposed to kill one enemy captain and head for the commander, however they don't tell you that if you do that, your Allied Base will get stormed to death in less than a minute. You have to spend time acquiring those keeps before continuing.

So yeah. Really specific. Adventure Mode is really fun, though.

Although Hyrule Warriors contains my now most hated boss in Zelda history:

I've lost so many times to this guy after he's been buffed three times by his allies and stun-locking me with the seed attack.
**** you, Manhandla.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Kenith Kenith : Yeah I've seen one mission, where you must take down two King Dodongos, with your ally bring Ghirahim. However, not long after the mission starts, Ghirahim and his forces will turn traitorous, and try to stop you from beating the bosses.

Similarly, there's a mission where you're using Fi, and after you stop all the Bombchus, you actually have to defeat Link and Zelda separately, while trying to protect the Allied Base AND Ghirahim. It's a very time consuming process, which actually requires you to catch Link and Zelda while they're vulnerable to attacks. Interestingly, Zelda's forces are evil.

And lastly, the enemy question missions can be the most cruel when you're up against the playable characters, as they're way more resilient to attacks, AND their gang attacks can put you at immediate defeat before you know it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Kenith Kenith : Yeah I've seen one mission, where you must take down two King Dodongos, with your ally bring Ghirahim. However, not long after the mission starts, Ghirahim and his forces will turn traitorous, and try to stop you from beating the bosses.
I remember that one. I actually found it pretty funny that he does that.
"Oh, my head was swimming for a moment. I could have sworn we were enemies."

Ghirahim has turned traitorous!

Similarly, there's a mission where you're using Fi, and after you stop all the Bombchus, you actually have to defeat Link and Zelda separately, while trying to protect the Allied Base AND Ghirahim. It's a very time consuming process, which actually requires you to catch Link and Zelda while they're vulnerable to attacks. Interestingly, Zelda's forces are evil.
A mission with lots of Bombchus? Does it perchance have Messengers?
I haven't even begin to beat that mission it was ridiculously tedious.

And lastly, the enemy question missions can be the most cruel when you're up against the playable characters, as they're way more resilient to attacks, AND their gang attacks can put you at immediate defeat before you know it.
Yeah, those get really annoying after a point. The ones with Agitha or Zelda are the worst as they are the best at keeping their guard, not exposing their weakness, and comboing you from behind.
Similarly, the gauntlet missions are really frustrating. If I have to kill another Dark Agitha...

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A mission with lots of Bombchus? Does it perchance have Messengers?
I haven't even begin to beat that mission it was ridiculously tedious.
The mission has you using Fi, and it begins with you having to stop three Bombchus. Afterwards, Ghirahim will head towards Zelda's location, while Link will attack the Allied Base. Taking out Link first is important, as defeating him will keep the Allied Base secure. Once Link is gone, you'd only have to worry about Ghirahim's safety.

Impa is also present, but defeating her isn't required for the mission's completion; defeating her might reveal a treasure chest though.

Top Bottom