• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hypothetical Disney (platform) fighter discussion

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, I saw the concepts for a villain-only roster and I was instantly hooked - so here's my take!

1. The Queen. (Albeit not exactly the most developed villain out there, her role as one of Disney's earlier main villains is undeniably important. Not only that, but I think her potential nature as a gateway character to introduce mechanics would be fun, such as including a poisoned apple as a projectile.)
2. Peg-Leg Pete. (I wanted to include a Mickey villain of some sort, but it was actually difficult to decide which one to go for. I originally considered Mortimer, but Pete was my final choice due mostly to his sheer importance to both Mickey and Disney as a whole.)
3. Maleficent. (I was already beginning to discover we'd have an issue regarding how many magic-based villains we have... Maleficent is probably the easiest to get a grasp onto, relying less on specific setups than characters like Ursula, Hades, or Xehanort.)
4. Cruella De Vil. (Again, she felt like an obvious choice even if I'm not absolutely sure how she'd work. I think leaning into her fashionable nature would be a good idea here, as opposed to leaning into her wanting to kill dogs.)
5. Gaston. (Beloved by many, I think he'd be a fun sword-based character - but unlike some, he's a middle of the road type, sort of like a fusion of Roy and Ike in some ways. It'd be a cool way to capture his personality.)
6. Captain Hook. (An unprescedented problem I ran into was that a lot of Disney villains seem to also be pirates. Huh. I felt he'd be a cool inclusion overall, most of his attacks being focused on his hook and the like with less focus on other pirate paraphernalia - that goes to the other one here.)
7. Chernabog. (Though I struggled with a "traditional" Mickey villain, Chernabog was an obvious choice right from the start. I'd say he's probably the "Fighting Game Boss" of this game - a powerful, but slow, tank who's basically the "main villain" of sorts.)
8. Frollo. (I don't know all too much about him, but I know he's fairly complex and would be pretty fun to see here. Maybe leaning into some religious influences would be a clever way to take him, though obviously nothing overt. This is, after all, Disney in the 2020s.)
9. The Queen of Hearts. (I felt Alice in Wonderland would be important to represent here somehow or another, given the whimsical and weird vibe of the world as a whole. She'd probably focus more on using her playing card soldiers to attack for her.)
10. Kaa. (I wanted a Jungle Book character here somewhere, and whilst I considered Shere Khan, I felt he'd be too similar to Scar due to their physiology. As such, I went with Kaa, mostly because I think his moveset and overall design would be a lot more interesting to play as given he's a snake.)
11. Hades. (Another heavily magically-oriented fighter, he'd be focused mostly on fire-based projectiles and a lot of stage control. I just think he'd be very fun to see included in a game like this. I like his vibes.)
12. Scar. (Scar is admittedly a very fun inclusion too. Being a lion, he'd have plenty of moveset potential to work with, and maybe could set his hyenas on other characters as well or something.)
13. Jafar. (I don't know a lot about Jafar specifically, but I think his overall design and the like would make him a unique inclusion. I think focusing on his alchemy as opposed to his sorcery with the power of the Genie would be a better way to handle him, though.)
14. Ursula. (Picture her as a sorcerer-grappler. I mean, with all of those tentacles, I could actually see it working pretty well. She's of course a heavyweight, but don't tell her that.)
15. Kronk. (I considered Ysma for this spot... but Kronk felt right, somehow, mostly due to Ysma's likely similarities to Maleficent and the like. I have no idea how Kronk would play. He'd just be very funny.)
16. Oogie Boogie. (This just felt very right. His creepy nature, being a bag filled with spiders? I love it. It works perfectly in something like this.)
17. Rinzler. (I genuinely very nearly put Sark here, but I felt Rinzler's nature as a much lighter, more calculated character would make him unique in this roster in terms of mechanics. Yes, I was always going to add a TRON character. I'm biased.)
18. Davy Jones. (He actually just felt really logical to me somehow. I didn't want to add too many live action characters for a few reasons but Davy felt like a really solid addition. Unlike Hook, he'd be focused a lot more on both the ocean and, well, being a pirate. Even so, I can imagine a rivalry between the pair.)
19. Xehanort. (Surprised? I know next to nothing about Kingdom Hearts, but I felt that a villain from the Kingdom Hearts series would be an obvious inclusion. Whilst I considered Sephiroth, Xehanort is the main villain of the series as a whole, so I felt he'd be more fitting overall.)
20. Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz. (The first of two Disney TVA characters here, I didn't want to fill the roster with them, so I limited myself to two. Luckily, I knew in advance who to choose. Doof's different -inators would be very fun to see, as well as his scientific nature playing well in a game filled with sorcerers!)
21. Bill Cipher. (The other TVA character I knew I had to include, I think his nature as a semi-eldritch being would be fun to play into here. Compared to various sorcerers and magicians, him being this chaos deity of sorts would make him really weird and unique, as well as a solid TVA pick from a beloved IP.)
22. Hopper. (A Bug's Life might not be the first Pixar film you'd expect here, but I felt his nature as a grasshopper would make him a very unique character to be included - and this is in, like, no order whatsoever. I don't know a lot about it, but the moveset potential is vast.)
23. Randall. (Monsters Inc. is beloved, and Randall's nature as a chameleon-like monster makes him an obvious and quite fitting pick here. I can imagine him being quite evasive but skilled at landing surprise attacks.)
24. Chick Hicks. (On the other end of the spectrum of surprise is Chick Hicks, who you'd see from a mile away. Look, a Cars antagonist felt like an obvious way to take Pixar's representation here, and I didn't even consider the other Cars antagonists - Chick just has such an interesting personality.)
25. Emperor Zurg. (I'd suggest this should be based on his fictionalised self in the Space Rangers canon. Zurg might not stand out as the first pick for a Toy Story villain - perhaps Lotso or Stinky Pete - but I felt his nature as a robot alien of sorts made him exceptionally unique and a solid choice.)
26. Syndrome. (Again stepping away from fantasy, Syndrome just felt obvious. A supervillain here felt like a really clever inclusion, and if Marvel characters were to perhaps be added as DLC or the like, seeing him fight them would be quite fun to observe.)
27. King Candy/Turbo. (Yes, he can switch between the two. Turbo would be a lot faster and more combo-oriented whereas Candy is slower but heavier-hitting. Also, they both have great connections to racing and the like so maybe they share a kart-based Side-B?)
28. Yokai. (Straying a little into Marvel territory, Yokai might not be the most prominent character to see here, but his moveset revolving around his small robots and his ability to say "That was his stake!" at any time would be really fun and unique to see. Also... I just really like Big Hero 6.)

Roster image. In no particular order, of course.
You'll notice I took care not to add any Marvel or Star Wars characters... it just felt right. I mean, maybe for DLC they'd be good, I can picture Thanos and Darth Vader working really well, but this would be focused a lot more on Disney. I also didn't want to give TVA too much focus so I limited it to two characters that are generally really well recieved from the whole block. Also, there were some characters I did consider adding, but just ended up not doing - such as Shan Yu from Mulan and Prince Hans from Frozen, neither of which I decided to add because they didn't really add anything unique to the game and didn't have a lot of instant "woah, they have lots of potential" or "woah, they have lots of personality that you could craft a moveset around." Hans came close, but I reasoned that the inclusion of Gaston kinda made him a bit pointless.

Hope this is good! Sorry if any of these unintentionally spoiled any of the movies...

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Okay, I saw the concepts for a villain-only roster and I was instantly hooked - so here's my take!

1. The Queen. (Albeit not exactly the most developed villain out there, her role as one of Disney's earlier main villains is undeniably important. Not only that, but I think her potential nature as a gateway character to introduce mechanics would be fun, such as including a poisoned apple as a projectile.)
2. Peg-Leg Pete. (I wanted to include a Mickey villain of some sort, but it was actually difficult to decide which one to go for. I originally considered Mortimer, but Pete was my final choice due mostly to his sheer importance to both Mickey and Disney as a whole.)
3. Maleficent. (I was already beginning to discover we'd have an issue regarding how many magic-based villains we have... Maleficent is probably the easiest to get a grasp onto, relying less on specific setups than characters like Ursula, Hades, or Xehanort.)
4. Cruella De Vil. (Again, she felt like an obvious choice even if I'm not absolutely sure how she'd work. I think leaning into her fashionable nature would be a good idea here, as opposed to leaning into her wanting to kill dogs.)
5. Gaston. (Beloved by many, I think he'd be a fun sword-based character - but unlike some, he's a middle of the road type, sort of like a fusion of Roy and Ike in some ways. It'd be a cool way to capture his personality.)
6. Captain Hook. (An unprescedented problem I ran into was that a lot of Disney villains seem to also be pirates. Huh. I felt he'd be a cool inclusion overall, most of his attacks being focused on his hook and the like with less focus on other pirate paraphernalia - that goes to the other one here.)
7. Chernabog. (Though I struggled with a "traditional" Mickey villain, Chernabog was an obvious choice right from the start. I'd say he's probably the "Fighting Game Boss" of this game - a powerful, but slow, tank who's basically the "main villain" of sorts.)
8. Frollo. (I don't know all too much about him, but I know he's fairly complex and would be pretty fun to see here. Maybe leaning into some religious influences would be a clever way to take him, though obviously nothing overt. This is, after all, Disney in the 2020s.)
9. The Queen of Hearts. (I felt Alice in Wonderland would be important to represent here somehow or another, given the whimsical and weird vibe of the world as a whole. She'd probably focus more on using her playing card soldiers to attack for her.)
10. Kaa. (I wanted a Jungle Book character here somewhere, and whilst I considered Shere Khan, I felt he'd be too similar to Scar due to their physiology. As such, I went with Kaa, mostly because I think his moveset and overall design would be a lot more interesting to play as given he's a snake.)
11. Hades. (Another heavily magically-oriented fighter, he'd be focused mostly on fire-based projectiles and a lot of stage control. I just think he'd be very fun to see included in a game like this. I like his vibes.)
12. Scar. (Scar is admittedly a very fun inclusion too. Being a lion, he'd have plenty of moveset potential to work with, and maybe could set his hyenas on other characters as well or something.)
13. Jafar. (I don't know a lot about Jafar specifically, but I think his overall design and the like would make him a unique inclusion. I think focusing on his alchemy as opposed to his sorcery with the power of the Genie would be a better way to handle him, though.)
14. Ursula. (Picture her as a sorcerer-grappler. I mean, with all of those tentacles, I could actually see it working pretty well. She's of course a heavyweight, but don't tell her that.)
15. Kronk. (I considered Ysma for this spot... but Kronk felt right, somehow, mostly due to Ysma's likely similarities to Maleficent and the like. I have no idea how Kronk would play. He'd just be very funny.)
16. Oogie Boogie. (This just felt very right. His creepy nature, being a bag filled with spiders? I love it. It works perfectly in something like this.)
17. Rinzler. (I genuinely very nearly put Sark here, but I felt Rinzler's nature as a much lighter, more calculated character would make him unique in this roster in terms of mechanics. Yes, I was always going to add a TRON character. I'm biased.)
18. Davy Jones. (He actually just felt really logical to me somehow. I didn't want to add too many live action characters for a few reasons but Davy felt like a really solid addition. Unlike Hook, he'd be focused a lot more on both the ocean and, well, being a pirate. Even so, I can imagine a rivalry between the pair.)
19. Xehanort. (Surprised? I know next to nothing about Kingdom Hearts, but I felt that a villain from the Kingdom Hearts series would be an obvious inclusion. Whilst I considered Sephiroth, Xehanort is the main villain of the series as a whole, so I felt he'd be more fitting overall.)
20. Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz. (The first of two Disney TVA characters here, I didn't want to fill the roster with them, so I limited myself to two. Luckily, I knew in advance who to choose. Doof's different -inators would be very fun to see, as well as his scientific nature playing well in a game filled with sorcerers!)
21. Bill Cipher. (The other TVA character I knew I had to include, I think his nature as a semi-eldritch being would be fun to play into here. Compared to various sorcerers and magicians, him being this chaos deity of sorts would make him really weird and unique, as well as a solid TVA pick from a beloved IP.)
22. Hopper. (A Bug's Life might not be the first Pixar film you'd expect here, but I felt his nature as a grasshopper would make him a very unique character to be included - and this is in, like, no order whatsoever. I don't know a lot about it, but the moveset potential is vast.)
23. Randall. (Monsters Inc. is beloved, and Randall's nature as a chameleon-like monster makes him an obvious and quite fitting pick here. I can imagine him being quite evasive but skilled at landing surprise attacks.)
24. Chick Hicks. (On the other end of the spectrum of surprise is Chick Hicks, who you'd see from a mile away. Look, a Cars antagonist felt like an obvious way to take Pixar's representation here, and I didn't even consider the other Cars antagonists - Chick just has such an interesting personality.)
25. Emperor Zurg. (I'd suggest this should be based on his fictionalised self in the Space Rangers canon. Zurg might not stand out as the first pick for a Toy Story villain - perhaps Lotso or Stinky Pete - but I felt his nature as a robot alien of sorts made him exceptionally unique and a solid choice.)
26. Syndrome. (Again stepping away from fantasy, Syndrome just felt obvious. A supervillain here felt like a really clever inclusion, and if Marvel characters were to perhaps be added as DLC or the like, seeing him fight them would be quite fun to observe.)
27. King Candy/Turbo. (Yes, he can switch between the two. Turbo would be a lot faster and more combo-oriented whereas Candy is slower but heavier-hitting. Also, they both have great connections to racing and the like so maybe they share a kart-based Side-B?)
28. Yokai. (Straying a little into Marvel territory, Yokai might not be the most prominent character to see here, but his moveset revolving around his small robots and his ability to say "That was his stake!" at any time would be really fun and unique to see. Also... I just really like Big Hero 6.)

Roster image. In no particular order, of course.
You'll notice I took care not to add any Marvel or Star Wars characters... it just felt right. I mean, maybe for DLC they'd be good, I can picture Thanos and Darth Vader working really well, but this would be focused a lot more on Disney. I also didn't want to give TVA too much focus so I limited it to two characters that are generally really well recieved from the whole block. Also, there were some characters I did consider adding, but just ended up not doing - such as Shan Yu from Mulan and Prince Hans from Frozen, neither of which I decided to add because they didn't really add anything unique to the game and didn't have a lot of instant "woah, they have lots of potential" or "woah, they have lots of personality that you could craft a moveset around." Hans came close, but I reasoned that the inclusion of Gaston kinda made him a bit pointless.

Hope this is good! Sorry if any of these unintentionally spoiled any of the movies...
Kronk is based

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I made an item list to go alongside my roster - I chose to include some TVA content as a sort of "midway point compromise" for the fans who'd probably mostly want TVA characters judging from how people discuss this content in our world.

Hunny (Winnie the Pooh) - comes in 3 different sizes, each healing a proportionate amount of damage

Drink Me (Alice in Wonderland) - makes you either tiny or big at random when drunk, being big makes you super powerful and being tiny makes you super agile, so a benefit either way.

Pumpkin (Cinderella) - throw it and it’ll turn into a carriage, trapping anyone caught inside.

Magic Carpet (Aladdin) - throw it and it’ll unroll, turning into an extra, moving platform!

Fix-It Felix’s Golden Hammer (Wreck-It Ralph) - I can fix it! Encase your foe in immobile gold, then break them out - or leave them for game over! Your choice.

Sky Piece (Chicken Little) - throw it and it’ll camouflage in to be used as a bomb… be warned though, background movements will blow its cover!

Buzz’s Blaster (Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters) - a standard projectile shooter, can’t be beat!

Laugh Canister (Monsters Inc.) - throw it and it’ll ricochet around, knocking back anyone in its path.

Syndrome’s Gloves (The Incredibles) - lets you pick up foes from afar and drag them around

Dip Keg (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) - A non-lethal substitute, but you’ll still want to keep away from this exploding canister, too much pressure and it’ll explode!

Mary Poppins’ Umbrella (Mary Poppins) - lets you descend slowly.

Gummi Berry Juice (The Adventures of the Gummi Bears) - Magic and mystery are part of its history, drink a bit to become fast and gain a powerful stomp

Ajimbo Cards (Recess) - Collect 3 pieces to spawn the powerful crane!

Make-Up-Your-Mind-Inator (Phineas & Ferb) - zap a foe with this to force them into using a single move

Lightsaber (Star Wars) - May the force be with you! This is a melee item that extends when used. Villains get red Sith lightsabers!

Captain America’s Shield (Marvel) - can be thrown like a boomerang

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Made one purely out of Disney TV Animation’s works:

Ducktales (2017)
-Scrooge McDuck
-Webby
-Launchpad McQuack
-Gizmoduck
-Magica DeSpell

Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers
-Gadget

Darkwing Duck
-Darkwing Duck
-Gosalyn
-Megavolt

Goof Troop
-Max Goof

Talespin
-Kit Cloudkicker

Gargoyles
-Goliath
-Demona

The Proud Family
-Suga Mama

Recess
-Spinelli

Kim Possible
-Kim Possible
-Shego

Fillmore
-Fillmore

Dave the Barbarian
-Dave the Barbarian

American Dragon: Jake Long
-Jake Long

The Replacements
-**** Daring

Phineas and Ferb
-Phineas and Ferb
-Agent P
-Doctor Doofenshmirtz

Gravity Falls
-Dipper and Mabel
-Grunkle Stan
-Bill Cipher
-Rumble McSkirmish

Wander Over Yander
-Wander and Sylvia
-Lord Dominator

Star Vs. The Forces of Evil
-Star Butterfly
-Marco Diaz

Amphibia
-Anne & Sprig
-Sasha
-Grime

Big City Greens
-Cricket

The Owl House
-Luz
-Amity
-Eda & King
-Hunter

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Just a random thought I had: I’m sure Disney would be fine with characters fighting for a game like this but I bet they’d be against disney land/world rides being used as stages that can damage people or being able to be ridden in ways that are against their rules. I dunno I just feel like they’d be really apprehensive of their rides being shown like that

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just a random thought I had: I’m sure Disney would be fine with characters fighting for a game like this but I bet they’d be against disney land/world rides being used as stages that can damage people or being able to be ridden in ways that are against their rules. I dunno I just feel like they’d be really apprehensive of their rides being shown like that
they seemed fine with them being used as attacks in KH3

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Out of curiousity, why do so many hypothetical Disney fighter concepts have such a big Disney Channel focus? I just don't get why you'd prioritise Kim Possible or The Owl House over Toy Story or The Lion King.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
people like what they like
I get that, I just don't get why it's such a consistent and common trend. I feel that since some people here have posted TVA related rosters they could maybe explain to me why it's so common. Even looking at my previous inquiry on page 1 I'm not seeing many good reasons.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I get that, I just don't get why it's such a consistent and common trend.
well that’s popularity for you. It’s also worth considering that many fans may consider the shows with a larger cast of characters to have more characters better suited for fighting than the films. Particularly a spy themed show like Kim possible or a show packed with op magic users like the owl house

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
well that’s popularity for you. It’s also worth considering that many fans may consider the shows with a larger cast of characters to have more characters better suited for fighting than the films. Particularly a spy themed show like Kim possible or a show packed with op magic users like the owl house
Ahh, I guess that kinda explains it. I generally prefer making movesets for characters with few canon powers or weapons, basing them more on either their body shape or personality, so spies; magicians; or super saiyan frog girls aren't as remarkable to me from a moveset perspective as a talking bumpkin car or stylish con artist cecaelia

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Out of curiousity, why do so many hypothetical Disney fighter concepts have such a big Disney Channel focus? I just don't get why you'd prioritise Kim Possible or The Owl House over Toy Story or The Lion King.
Because Dissidia was originally a Kingdom Hearts thing, but they refused to let their IP into a Fighting Game, so it instead became all Final Fantasy. Considering Disney literally couldn't care less about the TVA Department, I feel like a Theoretical TVA Platform Fighter would have far fewer restrictions to deal with than a Disney/PIXAR Platform Fighter. It's also implied in the files of Multiversus that Player First Games originally pitched the game to Disney, which makes sense as several of the studio's employees used to work for Disney, including the Lead Artist also being the Lead on Disney Infinity, so I still think it's highly unlikely that the main Animated Canon would get into any sort of Fighting Game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because Dissidia was originally a Kingdom Hearts thing, but they refused to let their IP into a Fighting Game, so it instead became all Final Fantasy. Considering Disney literally couldn't care less about the TVA Department, I feel like a Theoretical TVA Platform Fighter would have far fewer restrictions to deal with than a Disney/PIXAR Platform Fighter. It's also implied in the files of Multiversus that Player First Games originally pitched the game to Disney, which makes sense as several of the studio's employees used to work for Disney, including the Lead Artist also being the Lead on Disney Infinity, so I still think it's highly unlikely that the main Animated Canon would get into any sort of Fighting Game.
no it was normua who rejected the idea of Disney characters fighting. Disney have tried making fighters before

D

Deleted member

Dissida was in 2009. That's pre Marvel Pre Star Wars pre current Disney. Disney have since put out multiple mobile games with their characters fighting

duHF6z3eBsVkSGtFXfSBUS.jpg

disneyheroes.jpg

maxresdefault (9).jpg

klsdfgdfi.jpg

Infinity was also set to finally get that crossover story mode before jt was canned. I don't think they care about that stuff much anymore

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Dissida was in 2009. That's pre Marvel Pre Star Wars pre current Disney. Disney have since put out multiple mobile games with their characters fighting

View attachment 356627
View attachment 356628
View attachment 356630
View attachment 356629

Infinity was also set to finally get that crossover story mode before jt was canned. I don't think they care about that stuff much anymore
Notice they're all either super stylized or all working together to fight a common evil. This would've probably been the same for Disney Infinity's Planned Story Mode too.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Then uhh... why couldn't the platform fighter be super stylised?
That could work, but at the same time you also have to think logistically about making a Fighting Game. Fighting games by their very nature need some level of groundedness to work. Even Smash needs to actually have some grounded parts to its character designs to show off their Silhouette. So let's say there was a match between 2 Ralph's and 2 Hulk's on some huge stage, You'd barely be able to see them, so you'd need to rely on Shape Language and Silhouettes to actually tell them apart. This is especially the case when it comes to the fact that Hulk and Ralph are characters who would probably fight very differently. Same general Unga Bunga, done in different ways. Now you could always have some more muscle on Hulk, while Ralph has flat, more cartoony arms to match his film, but this isn't really an option when the game is super stylized because Hulk and Ralph would look basically the same, thus actively causing Game Design Issues unless they were to just be skins for each other. This automatically gets rid of any option for Hyper Stylization for this Hypothetical. This active design challenge is something you don't have to deal with when it comes to TVA since Disney could care less bout those IP, thus why I think TVA would be the best bet for a Disney Platform Fighter. There is also the Characiture Route, but that is even worse than the Hyper Stylization Route I suggested earlier when it comes to game design, thus making it a better bet to just focus on TVA or Marvel, where Disney doesn't care nearly as much.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
That could work, but at the same time you also have to think logistically about making a Fighting Game. Fighting games by their very nature need some level of groundedness to work. Even Smash needs to actually have some grounded parts to its character designs to show off their Silhouette. So let's say there was a match between 2 Ralph's and 2 Hulk's on some huge stage, You'd barely be able to see them, so you'd need to rely on Shape Language and Silhouettes to actually tell them apart. This is especially the case when it comes to the fact that Hulk and Ralph are characters who would probably fight very differently. Same general Unga Bunga, done in different ways. Now you could always have some more muscle on Hulk, while Ralph has flat, more cartoony arms to match his film, but this isn't really an option when the game is super stylized because Hulk and Ralph would look basically the same, thus actively causing Game Design Issues unless they were to just be skins for each other.
Why not just not include the Hulk (and Marvel in general) then? Even if you wanted to have both in a hyper stylised game, Ralph and the Hulk have very different stances and shapes - the Hulk leans a little forwards; spreads his limbs out; and has very visible pectorals, while Ralph has perfect posture most of the time; rarely spreads out his limbs; and is a perfect square. Theoretically, a stylised game would want to exaggerate these qualities, right?

Hell, if you compare their Disney Infinity figures, Hulk and Ralph have very distinctive shapes (notice Hulk's more defined chest; spread out arms; and hunched back posture, compared to Ralph's perfect cube chest; stubbier arms; and perfect posture)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That could work, but at the same time you also have to think logistically about making a Fighting Game. Fighting games by their very nature need some level of groundedness to work. Even Smash needs to actually have some grounded parts to its character designs to show off their Silhouette. So let's say there was a match between 2 Ralph's and 2 Hulk's on some huge stage, You'd barely be able to see them, so you'd need to rely on Shape Language and Silhouettes to actually tell them apart. This is especially the case when it comes to the fact that Hulk and Ralph are characters who would probably fight very differently. Same general Unga Bunga, done in different ways. Now you could always have some more muscle on Hulk, while Ralph has flat, more cartoony arms to match his film, but this isn't really an option when the game is super stylized because Hulk and Ralph would look basically the same, thus actively causing Game Design Issues unless they were to just be skins for each other. This automatically gets rid of any option for Hyper Stylization for this Hypothetical. This active design challenge is something you don't have to deal with when it comes to TVA since Disney could care less bout those IP, thus why I think TVA would be the best bet for a Disney Platform Fighter. There is also the Characiture Route, but that is even worse than the Hyper Stylization Route I suggested earlier when it comes to game design, thus making it a better bet to just focus on TVA or Marvel, where Disney doesn't care nearly as much.
you might be over thinking this

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
If Smash can have two Marios, three Links and all the FE Sword Boys. I don't see why two characters with vaugly similar builds would be an issue
Hyper Stylization that’s what would be the issue.
Why not just not include the Hulk (and Marvel in general) then? Even if you wanted to have both in a hyper stylised game, Ralph and the Hulk have very different stances and shapes - the Hulk leans a little forwards; spreads his limbs out; and has very visible pectorals, while Ralph has perfect posture most of the time; rarely spreads out his limbs; and is a perfect square. Theoretically, a stylised game would want to exaggerate these qualities, right?

Hell, if you compare their Disney Infinity figures, Hulk and Ralph have very distinctive shapes (notice Hulk's more defined chest; spread out arms; and hunched back posture, compared to Ralph's perfect cube chest; stubbier arms; and perfect posture)
True. Honestly I just don’t see animated Canon or PIXAR characters allowed in lol. Disney is really strict with them in particular. I mean, there’s a reason why KH4 (unfortunately) seems to not be using the Animated Canon as much, (probably) opting for the Live Action and Outer Properties being the priority with KH4. I could see Marvel, Star Wars, TVA, FOX, and maybe some villains, probably being on the table, and that would be quite the interesting roster to say the least.

D

Deleted member

True. Honestly I just don’t see animated Canon or PIXAR characters allowed in lol. Disney is really strict with them in particular. I mean, there’s a reason why KH4 (unfortunately) seems to not be using the Animated Canon as much, (probably) opting for the Live Action and Outer Properties being the priority with KH4. I could see Marvel, Star Wars, TVA, FOX, and maybe some villains, probably being on the table, and that would be quite the interesting roster to say the least.
My dude we have not seen a single full world for KH4 yet

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Didn't the creator of either Gravity Falls, The Owl House, or Amphibia (probably the latter IIRC) once say that if Disney were to make a platform fighter, it wouldn't feature TVA?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

that’s pure speculation. Apart from anything Disney let their characters into all sorts from food products to horror books. And when it comes to crossovers WDAS characters are front and centre. There isn’t actually any reason not to happen.

also a KH game with purely live action just isn’t practical cause of the extra cost of using actors likenesses

Didn't the creator of either Gravity Falls, The Owl House, or Amphibia (probably the latter IIRC) once say that if Disney were to make a platform fighter, it wouldn't feature TVA?
you might be thinking of the time the creator of gravity falls saying he didn’t like KH

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Tried something odd and did Disney rosters that "parallel" MultiVersus and Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. I'd only take it as an experiment and not fully good rosters. I guess the MultiVersus roster turned out better, IMO, but neither are exactly what one would want, probably.

PARALLEL TO MULTI VERSUS [In different ways]
  1. Finn -> Peter Pan [fantasy sword-fighting kid]
  2. Jake -> ElastiGirl (The Incredibles) [stretchy]
  3. Batman -> Iron Man or Captain America [DC/Marvel’s billionaire or human fighter superheroes]
  4. Superman -> Spider-Man [DC/Marvel’s biggest superhero]
  5. Wonder Woman -> Captain Marvel [DC/Marvel’s most marketed female superheroine]
  6. Harley Quinn -> Deadpool [DC/Marvel’s most known/marketed funny anti-heroes]
  7. Arya Stark -> Predator [mature viewers franchise you wouldn’t have expected]
  8. The Iron Giant -> Chernabog (Fantasia) [giant]
  9. Bugs Bunny -> Mickey Mouse [the mascots, pretty obvious]
  10. Taz -> Stitch (Lilo & Stitch) [wild animal/ball of chaos]
  11. Morty -> Bart Simpson (The Simpsons) [kid from adult animated show]
  12. Rick -> Homer Simpson (The Simpsons) [adult from adult animated show]
  13. Shaggy -> Kermit the Frog (The Muppets) [weirdly memed, lanky, green, I dunno]
  14. Velma -> Dipper Pines (Gravity Falls) [cartoon detective]
  15. Steven -> Star Butterfly (Star VS the Forces of Evil) [mostly because of being thought of as similar shows/the DEATH BATTLE]
  16. Garnet -> Wreck-It Ralph [brawler, that's about it]
  17. Tom & Jerry -> Timon & Pumba (The Lion King) [animal duo]
  18. LeBron James -> Sora (Kingdom Hearts) [crossover main characters]
  19. ReinDog -> Figment [no way of determining a fake game’s OC, so I’ll just say this guy]

PARALLEL TO NASB
  1. Mickey Mouse
  2. Minnie Mouse (Mickey Mouse)
  3. Goofy (Mickey Mouse) [SpongeBob, Nick’s main series, got the main guy, the main lady of the series, and the lovable dumb best friend, so this’ll be here. I guess Donald would be Squidward?]
  4. Oblina -> Jack Skellington (Nightmare Before Christmas) [lanky, monster from a world of monsters exploring another world]
  5. Aang -> Elsa (Frozen)
  6. Toph -> Anna (Frozen) [Elemental story, that's about it]
  7. Korra -> Moana [Elemental story, again, chosen for a mystic legacy]
  8. CatDog -> Ariel (The Little Mermaid) [Two animals in one. Humans are animals, yes]
  9. Danny Phantom -> Jake Long [2000’s teenage cartoon superheroes who transform into supernatural beings]
  10. Garfield -> Homer Simpson (The Simpsons) [Acquired series, already iconic, gluttonous and often snarky, but lovable]
  11. Helga -> Spinelli (Recess) [Tough girls from late 90’s/early 2000’s cartoons]
  12. Zim -> Wander (Wander Over Yonder) [Aliens from cult hit cartoons that were considered to be canceled too soon]
  13. Hugh Neutron -> Mr. Incredible (The Incredibles) [Memetically popular dads...it's either him or Peter Griffin, off the top of my head
  14. Lincoln -> Phineas (Phineas & Ferb)
  15. Lucy -> Ferb (Phineas & Ferb) [Two siblings from a popular cartoon show]
  16. Jenny -> Drossel (Fireball) [Robot girl, not much more explanation]
  17. Ren & Stimpy -> Chip & Dale [Cartoon duo…though Shnookums & Meat was a step too much towards obscurity, even with some other choices]
  18. Powdered Toast Man -> Darkwing Duck [90’s parodic cartoon superheroes]
  19. Rocko -> Marsupilami [Australian animals…yeaaa…]
  20. Reptar -> Buzz Lightyear (Toy Story) [Metafictionally admired by kids in their world]
  21. Leonardo -> Goliath (Gargoyles) [Leader of a group of strange-looking New York superheroes
  22. Michelangelo -> Spider-Man (Marvel) [Wise-cracking New York superhero who got mutated]
  23. April O’Neil -> Elisa Maza (Gargoyles) [Humans who work with New York superheroes, but aren’t quite superheroes themselves]
  24. The Shredder -> Thanos or Doctor Doom (Marvel) [Big villains from an acquired series]
  25. Nigel Thornberry -> Lilo & Stitch [They go around cataloging/collecting animals in some way]

I'll reiterate that neither are what I'd want for sure, and I may try that later. I dunno.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Has anyone mentioned Epic Mickey here yet?
1658950025378.png

Given Mickey’s long history, I don’t think making a solo Mickey combining all attributes of his character and referencing everything he’s been in would really work, but I don’t want to have a ton of Mickey clones either. That said, I think Epic Mickey could have a really interesting kit with his paint/thinner mechanics. If I were in charge of a Disney platfighter, I’d have a Mickey referencing the general aesthetic of him and his cartoons, and then Epic Mickey.

(You could also apply a lot of this to King Mickey, but I know squat about Kingdom Hearts, so I’m not gonna open that can of worms.)

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
  1. LeBron James -> Sora (Kingdom Hearts) [crossover main characters]
  2. ReinDog -> Figment [no way of determining a fake game’s OC, so I’ll just say this guy]
I would swap Figment and Sora, and having LeBron's equivalent a sports-themed character.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I would swap Figment and Sora, and having LeBron's equivalent a sports-themed character.
The first one I thought of was Air Bud, but I don't wanna say a guy is like a dog. So I guess you can say Air Bud replaces Figment/Reindog. I liked Figment's deep cut nature and referencing the park in some way, but I suppose that's more a concern for an actual roster, if anything.

Here's another thought: if the Incredibles got characters in, I'd prefer ElastiGirl, Frozone, or Syndrome over Mr. Incredible himself, most likely ElastiGirl. I like him, and he's the main guy, but he'd be very, very basic in his moveset, even having been in Smash Flash (or perhaps that partially proves my point, wonky as that game is). ElastiGirl is basically co-lead and you can do more with her shapeshifting and, well, elasticity. Frozone and Syndrome would also be cool (no pun intended with Frozone), but I can see other characters fulfilling the ice powers (mostly Elsa) or gadget-users (Dr. Doof/Phineas & Ferb, Gadget from Chip'n'Dale [go figure], GizmoDuck, Scrooge McDuck and Darkwing Duck a bit, Iron Man, Drossel, Boba Fett, to lesser extents, Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, WALL-E/EVE, probably others). Not saying all those characters are the same, I am just thinking what'd add the most variety, I suppose. Incredibles, being about superheroes, seems like a very natural fit, though.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I assume that most people know that there was a Disney fighter of some sort in production at one point, but it was canceled because the suits didn't want Disney characters fighting each other.

Disney villains are pretty much 95% of what people on the internet want to see anyway for a game like this, so I think that would do a good job of alleviating the problem.

Core roster that won't be compromised:

1: Hades
2: Scar
3: Jafar
4: Cruella
5: Davy Jones
6: Ratigan
7: Maleficent
8: Randall
9: Syndrome
10: Zurg
11: Queen of Hearts
12: Ursula
13: Gaston
14: Pete
15: Dr. Facilier
16: Oogie Boogie
17: Kronk + Yzma
18: Long John Silver
19: King Louie (Shere Khan redundant with Scar)
20: Madam Mim

Lower priority if we have time to add:
21: Gantu
22: Mr. Waternoose (Blocked by Randall)
23: Lotso (Blocked by Zurg)
24: McLeach
25: Flintheart Glomgold
26: Frollo (Difficult moveset)
27: Captain Hook (Difficult moveset)
28/29/30: Thanos/Darth Vader/Mr. Burns (Do not give these franchises more than one rep)

Generic Single Player Mode Boss: Chernabog

Last edited:
In response to the
leaked Disney fighting game images
I have decided to consider a roster of my own.

This roster would be small at launch, but could grow to a more substantial size. Either as a live-service game, or through a lot of DLC.

1: Mickey Mouse
2: Donald Duck
3: Goofy
4: Peg Leg Pete

Let's face it. If these four characters weren't in the game at some point, this fighter wouldn't feel complete. Maybe throw Pete further down the list, but these four are essential among the essentials.

5: Elsa
6: Ariel
7: Winnie the Pooh
8: Tinker Bell
9: Jiminy Cricket
10: Stitch

Next to Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, we have the other biggest names in Disney history. Especially Elsa, Tink, and Jiminy.

11: Genie
12: Frollo
13: Prince Adam / The Beast
14: Simba
15: Hercules

Further down the line, we have more from the Disney Renaissance.

16: Olaf
17: Tigger
18: Mulan
19: Captain Hook
20: Bruno Madrigal
21: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

Additional reps from Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, Frozen, and Peter Pan, plus another Renaissance rep and a 2020s character.

22: Jim Hawkins (Treasure Planet)
23: Madame Medusa (The Rescuers)
24: Wreck-it Ralph
25: Maleficent
26: Kuzco
27: Rapunzel

Jim Hawkins and Kuzco represent the 2000s, which is chock-full of fan requests. Wreck-it Ralph is a video game character, while Rapunzel would be another Disney Princess. We can't have a Disney fighter without Maleficent, we just can't.

And I added Madame Medusa because I can.

28: Roger Rabbit
29: Mary Poppins
30: Jack Skellington

The non-canon classics. Roger Rabbit's ride is still in Mickey's Toontown, Mary Poppins has generational appeal and Marvel connections, and Jack Skellington would get the Hot Topic shoppers on board for the ride.

31: Buzz Lightyear
32: Lightning McQueen
33: Merida
34: Captain America
35: Darth Vader
36: Kermit the Frog
37: Homer Simpson
38: Sid the Sloth
39: Peter Pan (Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates)
40: Interplanet Janet (Schoolhouse Rock)

The final quarter of this base game (And yes, I am aware that 40 characters is a lot for a "small" roster. Sorry.) would be dedicated to those who Disney has picked up over the past 20+ years.

Starting with two of Pixar's most profitable IPs and their own official Princess, then going to Marvel and Star Wars with one character each. Don't worry, there would be more where those came from in DLC.

Following that, we've got Kermit representing the Muppet Studio in full, followed by three, yes three, Fox reps. Homer and Sid are good inclusions for that division.

As for why I chose the 90s Peter Pan over the 50s version, I thought I should have a surprise pick, and Disney technically owns that show since 2001.

And I had room left over, after making some painful cuts, for a Schoolhouse Rock character. Why is a Schoolhouse Rock fighter getting the last invite? Because their 50th anniversary overlapped with Disney's 100th birthday, and because I have fond nostalgia for that property.

I doubt that we would get some of these characters. But then again, I doubted that Pixar wouldn't get skipped for the initial reveal period of the Lorcana TCG. You never know what could happen.

Top Bottom