• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

SiD

Smash Master
Against Falco, staying on platforms really does help. Just make him come to you, as he can't approach with lasers that way.

Linguini

Smash Master
Recently vs Falco I like to jab his illusion if he goes above the stage and then immediately angle down forward tilt if he decides to spam side b to get the ledge. It's 100% guaranteed lol.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
if you have time, like, see it well in advance, definitely uair. you'll most likely be able to edge hog after that for the KO, if you don't have time though just duck, you'll cc if it hits you, and then you can bair, possibly grab, maybe even turn around dtilt -> fair. If they go high enough to edge cancel on the end of a platform i'd recommend ducking (as it won't hit you) then doing an up-angled ftilt. It kinda depends on their percentage / the stage cause i wouldn't want to hit them to the other side unless it A. Hits them back off the stage and B. you have enough time to get over there to edge guard again.

edit, if you know they're gonna illusion over your head and past you, it'd be better to just turn around before they even illusion. Gotta crunch time whenever you can >_>

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
at some point in the night, i did start to PS the lasers. that sort of helped.

it was so weird though. he said i was doing things right, but i was just doing them at the wrong time. i guess one such thing would be the falling uair that i feel like i'm entitled to at low percentage after a shine dair. but my uair didn't come out, and he just utilt'd me before it came out, continuing the combo with no problem.

i don't have matches against him, but i'm uploading matches i got from HERB 3 against some other people so you have an idea of what my ganon looks like...

i mean, i'm still progressing, so i'm not expecting to beat pp any time soon. i feel like i can apply a lot of falco theory to falco's that are around my skill level, and even some that i would consider a better player than me, but somehow, it seems like stuff that i'm supposed to be able to do against falco: move my shield to grab, get falling uairs, jab out of laser approach, uair oos, bair/downward ftilt/uair edgeguard, waveland off of platforms to get hits during laser camping...just don't work against a player like pp.

hopefully, i'll get there someday. but for those of you who can actually face and fight high level falcos...i have more and more respect. pp said you can do it linguini...but even he doesn't know how you do it haha.

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys... I've been having the same problem as Chris.
I went to my first tournament since I got back from India last weekend. It was a UK national, and I came 9th, but I feel I should be doing much better - what I realised is... and this was quite a shock... I'm not as good as I thought :confused:
Lol, I thought I was improving so quickly, and getting near the level of the top 4 in the UK, however what I learned is that I am really good at some match-ups (Fox) OK at a few (Marth, peach, jiggs... debatably sheik), but I get owned realllly badly by people with Falco in the name (Falco and Captain Falcon).

I know I can't just ask for general tips, so I'll be more specific... My tech-chasing sucked, anyone got any advice on that in general, or specifically for these two match-ups?

On a side note, VA and me won the doubles, beating a team who haven't lost to anyone since they started teaming together (and we did it 3-0 in WF and 3-1 in GF :) - Peach Ganon is awesome, you guys were right on that!)

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
The only one of me so far is about a year old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X22lnVzlIh8

I'm a fair bit better now than I was then, although not against Captain Falcons :lick:
I've got some vids of me ****** these two players on my hardrive, or me getting ***** by VA... I might upload a couple if anyone's interested.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well, you've got one person interested. i've been working for the last few hours trying to figure out how i'm gonna get my stuff from last weekend up. i'm trying to get feedback (and maybe respect...and maybe not haha), and thats the only way, for me.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
I record it with my VHS tapes on my VCR. I looked up how to concert those vids to the computer before, but I forgot how.

Buying a capture card is much easier, though.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
dont know if you get nervous or anything but record A BUNCH of matches, then look through them and upload the best. When you record a good 20 or so if you were nervous at the start it'll fade away. that's how i am at least. :p

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah. the friendlies i got at herb were like that. i'm still trying to find a way to get to the good ones. my comp is being so uncooperative.

so far all ive got on my page is me getting owned by dogysamich. which would have happened warmed up, or nervous, or whatever, at my stage haha.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Chris I just watched the first one with Dogy. I wish I had seen more bair and a few more wavedashes away to keep good spacing. Also make sure you go for the guaranteed uair or bair from grabs.

Honestly though, you have come a LONG way since you started, which really wasn't that long ago. I applaud your vast improvements and look forward to watching the other vids later.

SiD

Smash Master
In you vs Dogy on Final D, when he was off the stage you stood on the edge lightshielding. You should've gone after him with some uairs, cause he'll either have to jump earlier and you could edgehog, or you'll hit him, or he'll cape you and you'll hit him anyway cause Ganon is Boss.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yaaaay people approve. and yeah, edgeguarding Doc proved a lot harder than i thought it ever would be. when i hit him high, he would use pills. usually i would want to lightshield edgehog the pills and stay on the ledge...but when he went to the stage, i couldn't get up there fast enough to punish. and once, he even did the pill, and got to the ledge before i fell there from the lightshield lol.

going out there seems smart...but i felt afraid to for some reason. if i got caught out there, i'd get bair'd to death and then caped just for good measure. hmm...

i wanted downthrow usmash SO BAD. i think i played some peach matches before facing dogy, so that combo was fresh on my mind, hoping it'd work lol.

Thanks for the comments; always looking for hints for improvement

Linguini

Smash Master
Lightshielding is great vs Doc but don't restrict yourself to only that when edguarding him as Doc's pills are pretty easy to cut through with ganon's bairs and uairs. Also, you can use the lightshield and then jump out to bait a recovery option from Doc, much as you can against marth.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/user/blackkchris?feature=mhw5

my page. have all the friendlies i'm gonna have up there. theres falcon, a marth, couple against dogysamich, and a peach or two.
Dogy really had you pinned down with those pills. When Doc is full hopping pills like that, you could just try attacking the pills to close in space on Doc. Double jumping over the pills towards Doc into a f-air should at least put him in shield. Or you could turn your back and full hop b-airs over the pills; Ganon's backward jump and airjump animations just flat out dodge Doc's pills.

I think those short hop u-airs from Doc get just down by Ganon's f-tilts/jabs/b-airs/ retreating b-airs. And if you expect Doc to full hop in the air at anytime, just up-air him.

And yeah, what Linguini said, b-airs and up-airs **** Doc's recovery. Doc's pills are worthless against Ganon's up-airs.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I discovered a new technique vs Fox. It's not a sure thing and is very risky, but it is fun to do in friendlies.

Ok, so this fox player is waveshine happy. I figured out that if I start tapping jump just before he gets me off the stage, most of the time I'll get a ledge cancel from shine stun and then I can go immediately into a Fair. I hit him with it twice for the kill. He was shocked, haha.

Of course this doesn't work if the waveshine perfectly.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Does anyone know what exactly is wrong with Ganondorf's Nair is version 1.0? I remember someone (ACE?) saying something about it's hitbox being glitchy, but I don't remember the specifications.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, magus did say something, i don't remember what it was either though, gard.

if you search "nair" in this thread though, you might be able to find it. we've had a few discussions on it before, but the most recent one probably has the info you're looking for.

SiD

Smash Master
If you want to use n-air you should try to find out if you're playing on v1.0 (if you can flame cancel with Bowser it's 1.0). The timing of the hitbox for the 2nd kick of his n-air is glitched and doesn't hit anywhere in front of him in the original version so it's even less likely to work (his leg isn't even kicking when the hitboxes attached to it activate).
I found it

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
good stuff SiD.

Oh, i have a question that i've been meaning to ask: Are any of pokemon stadiums transformations particularly good for ganondorf at all? Sometimes i use the windmill to recover on the left side, and on that same water form, those platforms are interesting to waveland aerial from, but on the grass form, the one double platform in the middle seems a little awkward. I always either get torn up on the rock formation, or wreak havoc inside the little area next to the big rock, but unless i'm already over there, its not worth the risk.

i just wanna know what you guys think about PS transformations, and if you think the neutral form is best for ganon, or if one of the other forms proves more advantageous.

SiD

Smash Master
The one with the big rock and all the platforms is good sometimes, because it's easy to hit people through stuff with tilts and uairs, and occasionally I'll get someone who is hiding at the bottom with a dair on the platform. Except Marth, that mother ****er. Usually though, stuff ends up getting in my way. Also, hiding on the left under the tree on the fire one, and jumping up with uairs worked, till my friend just started waiting for the stage to switch back lol.

Linguini

Smash Master
Alright, so for the past 3 months I've been taking a break from smash and not really keeping track of this ****, my bad, i'm back though so ask anything you want.

SiD

Smash Master
How do you approach a campy Marth? My friend mostly just dash dances and wavedashes back all the time, so it's very hard to get around his sword.

Also, I keep finding myself getting trapped when I land on a platform, mostly again against marth. I can't drop through without getting hit again, and if I run or jump he can a lot of the time just chase me, gorram sword. How do you deal with that?

Linguini

Smash Master
How do you approach a campy Marth? My friend mostly just dash dances and wavedashes back all the time, so it's very hard to get around his sword.

Also, I keep finding myself getting trapped when I land on a platform, mostly again against marth. I can't drop through without getting hit again, and if I run or jump he can a lot of the time just chase me, gorram sword. How do you deal with that?

Full hop fairs are really good against campy marths, and they dodge any sword attack pretty much. Don't spam aerials when he's dashdance camping, he'll just wait for an aerial and grab; so dashdance tilt and alternate with attacks. When you are above marth coming down wit bairs usually cuts thorugh anything he throws at you since the bair has priority slightly under ganon.

oh, and i'd also like to see what you think of the pokemon stadium transformations, and if any of them are good for ganon, in your opinion
The rock and fire transformations suck for ganon, although the rock can be okay if you know how to use it. The rest of them are fine for him, but not great.

zidane3015

Smash Cadet
Additionally, you can get up and light shield and fall under with a uair if you're on the ledge. But he has to be on the side of the ledge you're on.

Top Bottom