• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ HoChiMinhTrail HoChiMinhTrail How come at 4:43 you didn't just grab Falco after the Dsmash? I feel like you could have gotten a guaranteed follow-up from the grab into d-throw, or even at least an upair. Curious as to what you were thinking.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
As much as I try to mix up my ledge game, it seems like your ledge jump --> double jump --> fair seems to be way more effective lmao.

And YO. You ****ed up man. Eddie came out to the last EXP! I thought for sure you were gonna be there. I had to **** talk him all by myself :(

For those who haven't met Eddie: he's a boss.

tm

Smash Ace
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QqFxTWObg0A

Played Fearless from Florida in a quick mm before leaving, let me know what you kids think, I know I'm just a ganon part-timer and all :).
He spammed lasers from ledge a lot, so if you know the falco is going to do that, do this.
You whiffed a lot of shield grabs, so try to be more careful with that (especially after shine & laser).
If you become proficient at ledge-teching, you can survive against his dsmash edgeguards while getting a free hit on him.
I think uthrow can be good, but you almost always use it over dthrow, which generally provides better follow up options (unless the uthrow forces them onto a platform if they don't DI behind you [which is a free hit]). If there's no platform then uthrow can always be escaped from with away DI.
He let you go back to battlefield? (what a scrub)
Nice job on the W =)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ spider_sense spider_sense Duuude. You did that Wizard's Foot spike to finish Gravy off a little too late. That's what I like to do to finish off Falcon though, cause that high recovery is so linear and predictable that you just aim with your WF and spike the dude. I actually have a good bit of footage of me landing that off-stage spike on the last stock. Would you like to see it? I'm sure you can land it as well, you just have to remember that there's a slight delay to the startup of the WF, but you can easily know where Falcon is going cause that lol linear recovery. You could even practice that on a cpu cause I'm pretty sure CPU Falcon often tries to recover high.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
so i'm gonna start trying to practice something. entirely new project. not sure if any of you technical guys have tried it before, seems a little daunting or impractical tbh, but feels like it could be really useful. trying to commit ledge canceled down b to muscle memory. thoughts? quarrels with this idea? anyone tried it before? feel free to share any useful frame information or animation gifs.

@Magus420 @ spider_sense spider_sense @ Renth Renth @Bizzarro Flame @ iRanch iRanch @ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle

@ spider_sense spider_sense Duuude. You did that Wizard's Foot spike to finish Gravy off a little too late. That's what I like to do to finish off Falcon though, cause that high recovery is so linear and predictable that you just aim with your WF and spike the dude. I actually have a good bit of footage of me landing that off-stage spike on the last stock. Would you like to see it? I'm sure you can land it as well, you just have to remember that there's a slight delay to the startup of the WF, but you can easily know where Falcon is going cause that lol linear recovery. You could even practice that on a cpu cause I'm pretty sure CPU Falcon often tries to recover high.
you're trying to give advice to spider sense? don't you main sheik or something?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
you're trying to give advice to spider sense? don't you main sheik or something?
Just because I main a different character does not mean I have completely dropped Ganon. I still play him in the Falcon, ICs, mid and low-tiers and Ganon matchup because those are really fun and viable matchups for me. I don't appreciate you dissing me based off of my own personal choices on which character(s) I want to invest my time in. Just because I'm not maining Ganondorf anymore doesn't mean you should treat me any differently. Plus you're using an ad hominem to try to undermine my advice. Cmon man, don't be like that. I still like you guys and I still love Ganon.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ian do you mean standing down-b or aerial down-b?

I've played with it using standing down-b. Pretty jank mindgame but I've made it work before. Lulz were had.

Last edited:

n0ne

Smash Ace
i was gonna say, you cant edge cancel down b LOL.

@ n0ne n0ne is really good with these, so i thing hes the number 1 candidate for questions.
Yea i do them. Picked it up from falcon. Do them on shielding oponents as a command grab. Not much to say other than take note on your positioning and learning to judge when to fade back/lean forward in order to edge cancel on your up b freefall

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
i mean for recovering. every ganondorf has at least once, when recovering, ledgecanceled the end of their up b animation and then either grabbed ledge because opponent got up for assuming ganondorf was ****ed, or promptly suicided because "wait wtf just happened?"

n0ne

Smash Ace
i mean for recovering. every ganondorf has at least once, when recovering, ledgecanceled the end of their up b animation and then either grabbed ledge because opponent got up for assuming ganondorf was ****ed, or promptly suicided because "wait wtf just happened?"
Ah ya i know what u mean. Its easier to do if u reverse up b onto stage at a specific height. Easiest places to practice are FD and stadium. For some reason i do it easier with dorf than falcon

Coastward

Smash Lord
YO I HAD AN EPIPHANY:

from ledge: drop from ledge > jump > immediate reverse up > edge cancel up > aerial

i gotta see if this even works

IT DOESNT WORK T___T

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Yeah it's tough but doable. For some reason I find it easier to do on Yoshis & poke (yoshis makes sense because the slant... poke I have no idea, could be a mental thing)
I usually get it when I'm trying to recover on the tip of the ledge vs falcon (to maybe make him misspace the ledgehop knee), and end up getting it accidentally. If anyone masters it, they can definitely increase their recovery rate by a good amount. +1 idea

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Ah ya i know what u mean. Its easier to do if u reverse up b onto stage at a specific height. Easiest places to practice are FD and stadium. For some reason i do it easier with dorf than falcon
Wait, you can do this with ganon? I thought that was only falcon? I didn't actually think you could reverse up-b and land on stage.

Ian, I LOVE when I can edge cancel the up-b. But I can only do it on purpose if I do it on a platform and carry the momentum with me. Whenever it happens on pokemon stadium / yoshi's (the only two it has ever happened for me at the ledge), I can react to it, but I can never predict it. I could see this being incredibly useful though.

Up-b, and, if your opponent knows how to edge guard ganon properly (with certain characters), he will be on the ledge. Edge cancel it, and your opponent will think you just landed on stage, so they will ledge hop into knee / grab / whatever. 99/100 they won't be refreshing their invincibility because ganon's recovery sucks, so pull back, double jump into a fair / bair, depending on distance.

The ganon who can do this on cue will be the next top ganon. I think one of ganon's biggest weaknesses is that in any matchup besides the ditto and falcon, your opponent always has the edge guarding advantage. Except for maybe Roy.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
God damn it guys, I told you this **** worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=074ckJE8SEQ#t=1m46s

Also works with up throw. Darkrain combo on falcon. Renth, does he really? If so, that's amazing. **** 20XX fox, this is some 20XX ganon ****. Good ****, Ian, for starting up a useful, inventive discussion topic. Can't remember when was the last time someone figured something cool and useful out that wasn't Tipman.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So with all this Up-B ledge cancel talk going on, I did a little bit of experimenting and found out that you can consistently Up-B ledge-cancel from the ledge and make it back to center stage. I would advise this only as a mix-up, as there are faster ways to get back on stage, not to mention you're kind of vulnerable when going over the platform, so I'm not sure just how viable this is. What's cool about this is if your opponent insists on being too close to you, then they'll get hugged. If you miss with this Up-B but you ledge-cancel, then that'll probably surprise a good few people.

This is possible only on Battlefield, Yoshi's, and Dreamland.

Up-B Ledge Cancel on Battlefield
Up-B Ledge Cancel on Yoshi's Story
Up-B Ledge Cancel on Dreamland

The descriptions on how to preform these exactly are in each video's description. Start with the Battlefield one.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
That's pretty cool, locke. I'm not sure on the viability though, seeing as his up-b is so slow. I would really only use these if you're getting edge guarded, and not as a recovery tool from the ledge. But, I can experiment with it, as should you and let us know otherwise.

As of now, I've been practicing edge cancelling the up-b on the ledge. Only battlefield so far, but I've been WF recovering before hand to make it more like I was actually doing it in a match.

I have about a 1/10 success rate so far, but it's very viable. Game changer.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
lol Glad everyone enjoyed the sets I had with Gravy, his combo game and conversions off his hit confirms are amazing, I hope I get to play him a lot more. Also, yeah I did that WF a little too late, but cut me some slack. We both just woke up and we were trying to go ham on each other. lol

I've been messing with that upsmash oos vs Gravy as well, it's really good if you think they're going to overcommit with nair, but you have to time it and get the job done quick. Kind of like Goku's kaioken haha.

@ -ACE- -ACE- Bro, hmu whenever you get into Miami, you always know I'm down to chill and drink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUmsre6LR0

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo. Pokemon stadium is easy as **** to get that edge cancel on, as long as you reverse your up-b. Once you get the positioning down, you can do it so you:

1) land on stage with an edge cancel
2) go OFF stage (yes, even if you're DI'ing towards the stage- it's weird), but still get the edge cancel

What I find to be the case is if you recover a little higher, you get 1, but you sometimes get the landing lag if you start your up-b too high. With 2, it's easier to get, but a little more dangerous, because you're always going to go off stage with it.

With #2, you can theoretically double jump into a bair, as they definitely won't see this coming the first time, or double jump into a waveland. You can probably also just recover straight to the ledge lol because they've probably rolled by now, assuming you to be dead.

Now, if you wanna be the most stylish ************ on the planet, you can edge guard with it. Like @ Coastward Coastward said, you can drop from the ledge --> double jump --> reverse up-b --> edge cancel --> drop zone aerial. When you do this, you win the match automatically because you're a BOSS.

It's amazing what I can get done when I have a final tomorrow.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yo we gotta hang out tomorrow jason. Blea should be free then too. I'm down to chill then so I'll be ready for vs Wednesday. Haven't played melee since Renth's house LOL

iRanch

Smash Cadet
Do any of you guys ASDI down for anything? I never really thought about implementing it into my game and wanted to see what you guys use it for.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hell yeah. It's like semi-crouch cancelling. Works just as good as CC for many aporoaches, including falcon nair and Falco ledgehop double lasers.

Top Bottom