• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Coastward

Smash Lord
If they're dash dancing near you, chances are they're going to go for a grab or bait a roll. If you're in shield, roll / wavedash away (or wavedash in --> jab if you definitely have the read- just watch out for the fair). Wavedash back --> ftilt is something I like to do to make sure your opponent keeps their distance. Keep in mind that rolling back on a smaller stage usually means giving him center stage, so it can be a tough call. Sometimes a full hop oos is preferable. Rolling into Marth is seldom a good idea.

How'd you punish fsmash on shield, out of curiosity? My favorite is wavedash oos into grab or a quick up air (you can catch him on your way up, believe it or not). Usually they don't expect the up air, so their di isn't getting inputted and it can be a cool mixup at higher percents. You can obviously also just grab if they space it terribly.

Other than that, just try not to stay in shield too much. Marth can be scary and make you wanna throw up your shield because of the huge hitboxes. Try and learn when to crouch cancel because dtilt is amazing vs marth if you can make sure it connects.
yeah i gotta get my crouch cancel stuff down now that i've worked on my wavedash oos and shield drop stuff.

i mixed up punishes with wavedash oos grab, ftilt and jab. one time i did jab > dtilt and i got a nasty combo. i actually didn't know you could get uair fast enough after you wavedash oos, so thanks for writing that lol.

i ended up giving center stage A LOT because i was so afraid of getting grabbed, something to work on for next time.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
actually didn't know you could get uair fast enough after you wavedash oos, so thanks for writing that lol.
I didn't type clearly enough- you don't actually need to even wavedash oos to get the up air. You can just jump after the shield stun wears off and input a quick up air (PSA: THIS IS ALSO A WAY TO PUNISH GANON'S SIDE-B ON SHIELD!). Make sure you time it so marth is standing up and not leaning over from the fsmash, otherwise he'll probably just be able to duck under it or some dumb ****.

@ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM - I personally think kage would beat him into a pulp.

Tm, I'll look at your video in a few days. I saw a little bit and I really liked what I saw. This Saturday is smash day for me, I'll do some analysis after I get eliminated from the tournament- by the way- Ohio isn't too far from Chicago. You should consider coming out to one of our monthlies. They're always stacked! And I can promise you a place to stay for the night if you don't feel like waking up early to drive out / don't feel like driving back home at 10+ pm. Something to consider :)

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
I didn't type clearly enough- you don't actually need to even wavedash oos to get the up air. You can just jump after the shield stun wears off and input a quick up air (PSA: THIS IS ALSO A WAY TO PUNISH GANON'S SIDE-B ON SHIELD!). Make sure you time it so marth is standing up and not leaning over from the fsmash, otherwise he'll probably just be able to duck under it or some dumb ****.

@ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM - I personally think kage would beat him into a pulp.

Tm, I'll look at your video in a few days. I saw a little bit and I really liked what I saw. This Saturday is smash day for me, I'll do some analysis after I get eliminated from the tournament- by the way- Ohio isn't too far from Chicago. You should consider coming out to one of our monthlies. They're always stacked! And I can promise you a place to stay for the night if you don't feel like waking up early to drive out / don't feel like driving back home at 10+ pm. Something to consider :)
Yoooooo free place to stay is a game changer for me. I need to know these weekends ahead of time tho. Is there a FB group where upcoming events are listed & updated? I rarely hear about chicago stuff except for the exp series, which I almost made it to a few times lol.

EDIT: can you also punish falcon's sideB OoS with instant uair?

Last edited:

Yort

Smash Apprentice
I now really badly want to see Kage vs Gravy. Also, 500 posts woo!
This would be very interesting because Kage has said before he only managed to practice about two or three times a week while gravy sits, researches, and practices every single day for huge amounts of time.

I love Kage but Gravy's inspirational dedication to getting so much ****ing better would have me rooting for him in a sense. He also has tons of Ganon experience from Eikellman.

This should happen though. Newschool falcon vs oldschool Ganondorf.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If they're dash dancing near you, chances are they're going to go for a grab or bait a roll. If you're in shield, roll / wavedash away (or wavedash in --> jab if you definitely have the read- just watch out for the fair). Wavedash back --> ftilt is something I like to do to make sure your opponent keeps their distance. Keep in mind that rolling back on a smaller stage usually means giving him center stage, so it can be a tough call. Sometimes a full hop oos is preferable. Rolling into Marth is seldom a good idea.

How'd you punish fsmash on shield, out of curiosity? My favorite is wavedash oos into grab or a quick up air (you can catch him on your way up, believe it or not). Usually they don't expect the up air, so their di isn't getting inputted and it can be a cool mixup at higher percents. You can obviously also just grab if they space it terribly.

Other than that, just try not to stay in shield too much. Marth can be scary and make you wanna throw up your shield because of the huge hitboxes. Try and learn when to crouch cancel because dtilt is amazing vs marth if you can make sure it connects.
https://gfycat.com/FlawedCelebratedIrishredandwhitesetter There's also this you can do if you predict it. Also works with Side-B/down-B. Pull back! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YatyECgSYAI Also WF from wednesday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzvBa2dnYA GF both vs Diakonos

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Damn Kage, you played super well those games. I really like what I saw.

I feel like Ganon can absolutely beat the best Marth as long as you play patiently, think smart, plan ahead, and don't be rash. I mean, so many of Ganon's moves have really good spacing on Marth, plus Ganon gets a lot off of grabbing. The only real weakness I see with Ganon is his ground speed. Both Marth and Ganon have laggy moves in the air and on the ground, and you can edgeguard each other pretty easily. I'm definitely gonna be playing Ganon vs Marth a good bit at tomorrow's tournament.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Damn Kage, you played super well those games. I really like what I saw.

I feel like Ganon can absolutely beat the best Marth as long as you play patiently, think smart, plan ahead, and don't be rash. I mean, so many of Ganon's moves have really good spacing on Marth, plus Ganon gets a lot off of grabbing. The only real weakness I see with Ganon is his ground speed. Both Marth and Ganon have laggy moves in the air and on the ground, and you can edgeguard each other pretty easily. I'm definitely gonna be playing Ganon vs Marth a good bit at tomorrow's tournament.
I actually felt rusty with my Ganon all and all. On the other hand, the Falcon felt really on point and i barely missed anything with him except that stupid off-stage knee and a couple of slight spacing mistakes. The reason I say this is because it's been a while that I have faced top players consistently over a long period of time which means my speed is slightly decreased and causes all kinds of technical mistakes. But I intend to fix that by playing a lot of netplay and get my top form back. I already proved it to myself that i can beat pretty much anyone so now it's all about the homework and effort. My Marth matchup ever since TBH3 has been shaky I found, I know i could be doing a lot more. I re-watched the vid a few times already to see how my edgeguards and setups could be better such as the CC traps to jab into juggling Marth for example. Those things have been kinda bad lately or should I say my response time isn't as good as it once was.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ S Superspright I can't make it to NY. the rental car I chose (I asked for the cheapest car.... hyundai accent) had seats so bad I have sciatic nerve pain in my hip so bad I can barely make the transition from standing to sitting lmao. I've been to tye ER and have been bedridden in savannah GA the past 2 days. Was looking forward to chillin but I had to tell work it ain't happening. Lesson learned. Kids, take care of your backs. And friends don't let friends drive hyundais.

Coastward

Smash Lord
@ S Superspright I can't make it to NY. the rental car I chose (I asked for the cheapest car.... hyundai accent) had seats so bad I have sciatic nerve pain in my hip so bad I can barely make the transition from standing to sitting lmao. I've been to tye ER and have been bedridden in savannah GA the past 2 days. Was looking forward to chillin but I had to tell work it ain't happening. Lesson learned. Kids, take care of your backs. And friends don't let friends drive hyundais.
**** dude, get better soon.

Renth

Smash Hero
Does anyone else get Super Salty when people on streams talk about how much Ganondorf sucks?

That right is reserved to us.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So I am fully capable of limping around now thanks to percocet. Lol.

Renth people that talk about Ganon on stream make me lol for days. I've heard so many wack comments by knowledgeable players and newcomers alike. It's pretty hilarious.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I played Ganon vs Marth a bunch yesterday and I did pretty well vs a lot of scrub marths. But against Tah. I didn't do so well and I know I could have played better. I have a video of it cause I wanted it recorded. I'll post it soon.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Dude I totally understand. My mother had it before she died, and I had to feed her water with an eye dropper because she couldn't even pick her body up. She was just agonizing day in and day out. Sciatica is genetic I believe, and can be caused by smoking and other substances or at least accelerated. I hope you get better. My mother said it was worse than giving birth to a child.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
So I am fully capable of limping around now thanks to percocet. Lol.

Renth people that talk about Ganon on stream make me lol for days. I've heard so many wack comments by knowledgeable players and newcomers alike. It's pretty hilarious.
Wow man, I figured you didn't feel well when you were down here. Get yourself checked out asap dude, having bad back problems can lead to an even bigger issue. I hope you feel better homie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixt1pN6xtVs

Coastward

Smash Lord
I am not executing the things that I have practiced in an actual game. How do you solve this problem?
are you realizing it during the match or afterwards? or is it a matter of just physically not being able to do it?

i used to do this to, but i've slowly been remembering to do it. just think about it before you play, and then afterwards; in friendlies, set mini-goals to perform a certain amount of things that you want to work on.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
are you realizing it during the match or afterwards? or is it a matter of just physically not being able to do it?

i used to do this to, but i've slowly been remembering to do it. just think about it before you play, and then afterwards; in friendlies, set mini-goals to perform a certain amount of things that you want to work on.
I do exactly as you have said but it's not working out. I feel like this is hardly progressing at all and playing this games feels more like a chore than it does like a fun activity. I'm really debating to even continue because I find myself not enjoying the game that much over time. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not having fun and I'm contemplating if it's still even worth playing this game. This is a problem I have dealt with for a long time now and I've tried many different things to get to a solution but it feels like there is no real concrete solution and that it's just a matter of constantly grinding this game just to slightly improve over time.

I don't even know how I can play the game to enjoy it anymore. Everything feels like a chore. Everything hurts, everything sucks, I play bad, my opponent plays better than I do, I very rarely ever warm up, I've been reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" to help my mentality but I have not applied much of it at all and I can't find a way to get out of this stupid ****ing hole.

I don't want to take a break and then just come back because then I'll just be worse than I was before when I'm out of practice. I'll not enjoy the game even more than I do now. It's so ****ing stupid. I really like theorizing new things nd playing by myself to get down this new tech I've been wanting to try. I'm smart, I know a lot about how the game works and a lot about how matchups work I just cannot for the life of me doing while playing the ****ing game.

The past 4 or so tournaments I have entered I have always gotten really upset at myself for losing to people I feel like I should not have lost to, or people I feel like I could have beaten if I was warmed up, or if I was playing Ganon and not Sheik or Marth or what the **** ever. I've been messing with other characters to figure out just how I have fun with the game but I'm finding the more and more I play this game to try and improve I'm enjoying it less and less and it's ****ing driving me up the ****ing wall.

I really don't even know what I'm gonna be doing for Apex because I'm so indecisive about what I want to do with this game. I mean, I'm still going of course, I just don't know what my game plan will be for when I go because I swear I've worked on so many options and I am reaching my limit here. I am not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and I just want to blow a hole in the wall.

It's like a ****ing slot machine effect, where I get those few bursts of amazing play that I feel like I play really well and it makes me want to keep playing this game. But then at most tournaments I don't even come close to that and I just end up flopping majorly and I'm always questioning what I am doing with my time by the end of the day. This **** is NOT fun to me at all. This **** is depressing to me.

I hate hearing all the crap about johns and that my mentality is bad. I've been trying to work on it for the past 3 ****ing months but I feel like I have made very little to no progress at all, despite increased effort. I cannot for the life of me find a proper balance between enjoying the game and improving drastically. It's like I have to sacrifice one or the other and I'm just not willing to do either of them. I'm tired of all this negativity. I want to enjoy the game again. Maybe it's all just been an illusion in my head and I'm only good for playing friendlies versus. In fact, I'm actually pretty unpleasant when it comes to playing friendlies versus me in the first place. I'm always getting mad at myself for not executing the thing that I wanted to. I'm always getting distraught from losing a matchup that I know I have the knowledge and experience to beat but I just cannot do it in game. I make it unpleasant for whoever is playing with me because I'm like a ****ing **** sack that doesn't make anyone else's time a good time.

I know people talk crap about me behind my back because I'm rather insecure when it comes to these things. I try to justify my insecurities by only looking at it through my perspective and being ignorant to what other people think, and then when I think too hard about how other people perceive me I do dumb ****, blabble, talk about **** that I don't really know how to articulate in words, make stupid ****ing facebook status based on my insecurities, etc. I just cannot ****ing win. I cannot get around this and I really want to but I have tried and I don't know what to do. Do I just keep playing this game, hardly ever getting any better, being and unpleasant prick to be around whenever I play friendlies with you? Rub my knowledge in your face like you don't know anything and I'm the one that is smarter and better than you? Do you really still want me to be this person?

I like this community too much to just completely leave it. I'd feel pretty empty without it. I still do like spectating and watching streams and cheering for people at nationals. I still enjoy talking to people I've never met before or someone who I haven't seen for a long time. I could just be too negative right now, but it's hard to look away from it all when there's so much of it and when so much of it is a fact. Maybe this game isn't really meant for me? I have no way of really knowing when or where to stop. 1.5 years surely is not that long of a period of time but I hate that nothing is clicking for me. When will that day come for when this game suddenly clicks for me? I feel the same way about this game when I'm playing it since CEO and even before then.

I'm sorry guys, but this is a lot of **** that I have been thinking a lot about over the past several weeks and it's been consuming my life and my time and I just wanted to really vent for a moment. I'm sorry that I seem so hopeless. I'm sorry that I seem like such a brat. I'm sorry that I appear to be a quitter and I will never amount to anything. I try to come off as nice most of the time to people but in reality I really just talk out of my ass most of the time.

I don't know. I'm done typing this wall of text. I've let out all that I feel like letting out and now I'm just gonna sulk the night away thinking about what I really want to do.

Laharl's_Wrath

Smash Apprentice
Don't ****ing apologize for ****, I have a lot I want to say in regards to the above post but I have to be up for work in 6 hours and have a long day ahead of me
I'm going to figure out how much of the **** I want to say I will say and I'll post it later

but above all else don't ****ing apologize, do what you can to pick yourself up mentally and don't ****ing sulk there's a really ****ing ****ty mental path to go down and it doesn't end up in a pleasant place and even if this is just in regards to smash, ****ing tread carefully

who the **** knows maybe I'm overthinking **** I'll post more tomorrow

edit: and **** the ****ing piece of **** censor what are we ****ing twelve I really ****ing hate little ****ing infringements on freedom of ****ing speech that are ****ing everywhere online to the point where it's the ****ing standard because ****ing freedom of ****ing anything is an illusion on any ****ty site if you notice the ****ing ToS but **** come on, maybe I use too much ****ing profanity sometimes but so ****ing what

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Dude if you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. Not even kidding. Do yourself a favor and spend your time doing something you enjoy.

Top Bottom