• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Spider sense is really good at that.

With ganon having an infinite edge hop and mad ledge games does anyone actually use those to their advantage other than just when recovering?

:phone:
All the time. RLD is one of my favorite mixups, even if it's just an empty RLD because it confuses the hell out of my opponent, and often leads to a free waveland grab/jab.

Also, until they get used to it, waveland in to pivot ftilt is a great way to reverse pressure and set up a nice edge guard situation. Buuuuuut I'm sure you already know most of this. Any new tricks? I mean it is 2013

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Umm I think only vs Strawhat Dahean, Hax and Shroomed I believe. I got owned pretty bad by Hax and Shroomed that time so there won't be much to watch.. just me dying a lot lol.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Tech skill is so overrated. At a certain point with Ganon it's just for show.

But it is a good show. After Kage came to Arkansas and played me, he picked up all the tech skills he needed to be effective :)

But there's definitely some tech tricks that could be done, and I guess every Ganon has their own specialty. I would love to play Spider Sense, to see if he would wreck me or not.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Id post but it'd be poiintless cuz I won't be playing this character much.

But I used to push buttons well.

Now ill just shine grab people with fox and have some extra fun. Ill come back to ganon when I learn some things with fox.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Tech skill is so overrated. At a certain point with Ganon it's just for show.

But it is a good show. After Kage came to Arkansas and played me, he picked up all the tech skills he needed to be effective :)

But there's definitely some tech tricks that could be done, and I guess every Ganon has their own specialty. I would love to play Spider Sense, to see if he would wreck me or not.
I steal everyone's techniques, that's my main strength. ;)

Superspright

Smash Lord
If you're gonna steal anything then steal my powershielding ideas. They work on paper and in practice. They just aren't easy to implement. People who have very automated timings get exposed by powershield->option. People who try to do everything as frame tight as possible aren't as good as they think.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Thats true but powershielding at will just isn't possible.. if you could then you'd have almost an invulnerable defense which is not feasible in a long run.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I powershield at will. Maybe I'm not playing the right players. An invulnerable defense is feasible in the long-run, actually. That means you can beat any offense which is primarily WHY we lose in the first place. Our defenses just suck. We get trapped in our shield->Death. We get hit ->Death.

If every time we got hit we were able to tech-roll away, or we were able to PS consistently and punish we'd be a lot harder to open up and crack. As of right now we're like a crazy person. We try the same crap expecting it to work. It never will. The Ganondorf metagame is stagnate until someone steps it up and tries a new combination that works for the character.

I strongly suggest a hyper-defensive, and reactive gamestyle. I've been working on it but it's hard to work on anything with bad players as my only inspiration. I'd love to play Dr.PP to test out if my powershield shenanigans even work. He doesn't seem to react to PS laser as well as he should. At Zenith he kept eating them.

Our main strategy is closing space anyway. If we were able to DD->PS lasers then we'd be able to definitely DD->PS laser->WD and close the space and get pressure. We are a pressure character. We force options. That's all we do. If we try to do anything else we get punished for it. I just don't feel we're playing Ganon right. He can win nationals. He definitely can do it, but it may be like climbing mount Everest.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
once people mix up their aerial timings, powershielding at will becomes significantly harder. it's one of the hardest things about playing PP's falco; it's almost impossible to react to his different short hop laser times, or his aerial times. plus people will just dash to bait the shield and once it comes out, ganon is in trouble.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
you would enjoy the smash fests me and lozr have been having lately linguini. dude is super good against ganon, yet very/overly offensive... it's both fun and a challenge for a ganon.. not that I play too much at all, prob. the same as you.

and y'all, maybe my join date is a little newbie here(i had an account for a year or two before this one), but it's a ****in' tipman spike. eddie was the first semi-decent ganon. eddie was the first and only one aside from kage to win a national...........still a tipman spike. y'all only called it an eddie spike out of spite from people calling it the tipman spite + regional pride, which I can relate.

trail: come to the next regional+ that's in NC and bring joe, that ****'ll happen.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
got second today. uh everything useful i did was recorded, and it was ganon. my fox is still trash but i'll be playing him more in the future.

i lost to sneak like i always do lmao. should be some entertaining stuff

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
got 13th today. 16 person tournament. Didn't use any Ganon in pools, but used Ganon in 3/4 of my Bracket games.

I think maybe if I'd used Ganon in pools I would have been more warmed up and maybe won some stuff in Bracket.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I also went to a tournament today. Got kinda beasted by little england: back to back two stocks. But I did 2-0 a Marth who beat me six months ago, 2-1'd a falcon, and styled on a mario. Soooo unnecessarily flashy lol even spider sense would be impressed with my match against mario, overall satisfied with my performance... much better than previous tournaments

:phone:

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
and y'all, maybe my join date is a little newbie here(i had an account for a year or two before this one), but it's a ****in' tipman spike. eddie was the first semi-decent ganon. eddie was the first and only one aside from kage to win a national...........still a tipman spike. y'all only called it an eddie spike out of spite from people calling it the tipman spite + regional pride, which I can relate.

trail: come to the next regional+ that's in NC and bring joe, that ****'ll happen.
im gonna start fist fighting people. lol i'd be down as long as you guys party out there. I can't play smash all day without the reward of drinks and laughs to look forward to later in the night.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
If you're gonna steal anything then steal my powershielding ideas. They work on paper and in practice. They just aren't easy to implement. People who have very automated timings get exposed by powershield->option. People who try to do everything as frame tight as possible aren't as good as they think.
The bolded portion of your above post is the problem with your assumption. Most good players DON'T have automated timings because they've learned to mix-up their timing to avoid they very kinds of retaliations that you speak of. That's why I said earlier:
This sounds so hard and unreliable though when Falco can change the timing of his aerials at will... :ohwell:

Superspright

Smash Lord
How many timings are even good though? Late ones are bad if you read them. That's all I was saying really. It's not a cure-all for the matchup. It's just a way to get Falco to pick mix-up timings that are slower than our u-air or grab...etc.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Thats why I said there's no such thing as the perfect defense, Ganon is way too slow to dictate the pace of a match.. you have to kinda match your pace to your opponent's.

Top Bottom