• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Pool 41

Rockmix
SypherPhoenix
Ursper
Mew2King
Kemee

So, this is my first tourney. Am i screwed?

:phone:
If you think you're screwed you are, if you go in without thought of winning or losing you'll already be playing much better than the average smasher who's been to tournaments

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I have always heard that Rockcrock is amazing at Ganon dittos.

I like to think I'm decent, but then again the only Ganons I've ever played is Kage and Iori.
Holy **** Dennis ***** at dittos. His DK is the best in the world vs Ganon I have no doubt also. The kid knows ganon's strengths and limitations so well it's insane. If he improved his speed he could have more offensive options imo, but defense he's solid. Slightly less consistent with good decision making when compared to linguini/kage, but I'm basically splitting hairs at that point.

also kage didn't chaddd 4 stock you twice? Or a 4 stock then a 3 stock? Lol

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
If you think you're screwed you are, if you go in without thought of winning or losing you'll already be playing much better than the average smasher who's been to tournaments
well, rockmix got changed to hyuga, so now im not making it out of pools one, lol. I still hope to do well in my other matches and in friendlies.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I think I can beat you kage. I'm not kidding. I hope I play you one day.

edit: not saying I'm better than you, but I have an ok chance at beating you at dittos.

Linguini

Smash Master
my pool doesn't look too bad, don't recognize anyone in it though lol.

dennis is pretty good at ganon dittoes but i've beaten him in tournament almost every time for like the last 2 years.

kage gonna get bodied

Linguini

Smash Master
all competition aside we gotta chill/smoke at this bruh...actually we should blaze and mm people with double ganon lmao...they don't know bout those sensu beans!!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yes we have to, it will be my last smokes too so I might as well enjoy this for one final moment while I can. =) I'll come find you. Preferably, after day 1 though.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yo guini we should chill at apex too. i'll prolly find u saturday, or maybe friday. h!ghchris is a beast sometimes.

zoler is a swedish fox that you'll beat, but he's pretty good.

Availjunior

Smash Cadet
Ive got no ganon worth mentioning in my arsenal Kage, but, if i so happen to play you last, and my fate is already sealed, i may just pull it out for funsies :D (this is GiR in pools)

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'd recommend getting more consistent with Lcancelling your Dairs, you were vulnerable a lot at the start of the video. Also, don't always attack when you're on the edge. Try to mix in some ledgehops, ledgedashes, or ledgehop Uairs. For example, you could have done a ledgedash or ledgehop Uair at 0:41, which probably would have stopped you from being KOed there. This happen again at 0:57 and 1:14 Finally, you need to get better at edgeguarding. At 1:57 you probably could have stopped him from getting back to the stage.

You'll need someone better than me to give you any more advice than that.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
woot playing friendlies at my hotel before apex! But im getting owned. Learning a ton however.

Edit: is anyone in the hyatt this weekend? Id love to play

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
So Armada said Ganon players can't win tournaments. What are your opinions on this? Should we all become Kirby mains?

Also, I saw Kage and Linguini on the stream. You two are awesome.

Kage, your hair seems a bit short. Grow an afro.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
My favorite part of the armada interview was when they asked him about his weaknesses and he didn't know what they meant. Weakness isn't in Armada's vocabulary.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
shout out

kage: it was good i got to play you. took me till day 3 but i got it done. your ganon was interesting, i kept feeling like I was safe but u somehow found a way to hit me anyway. Also i need to learn to just grab the edge at certain points instead of just knocking you away, that was a big mistake. anyway you were fun to play against and a nice person. I am also happy to hear you r not done with melee for ever, just taking some time to train for fighting or whatever it is you r doing, also i am happy to live in NY so I will most likely be able to play you again at rom or something. and lastly even though you shaved your head I could still see how you look very similar to a friend of mine, you guys could be brothers its kinda scary

edit: almost forgot the mm between u and Linguini were fun to watch, i missed the first two matches were u lost which of course means u won b/c of my presences so i think i deserve half of that money :). but real talk they were all real good matches and ganon dittos r real fun to watch

Wake

Smash Master
Kage! It was a fun money match! And like I said, you're going down next time we play! (I'm the Peach player that money matched you after the event. I counter picked you to YS).

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
apex was okay.

made second round pools. lost to amsah and pewpewu. took a match off vectorman's roy in first round, but couldn't beat his yoshi lol.

i did some funny tricks. didn't play as many good people as i wish i could have though. ah well.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
shout out

kage: it was good i got to play you. took me till day 3 but i got it done. your ganon was interesting, i kept feeling like I was safe but u somehow found a way to hit me anyway. Also i need to learn to just grab the edge at certain points instead of just knocking you away, that was a big mistake. anyway you were fun to play against and a nice person. I am also happy to hear you r not done with melee for ever, just taking some time to train for fighting or whatever it is you r doing, also i am happy to live in NY so I will most likely be able to play you again at rom or something. and lastly even though you shaved your head I could still see how you look very similar to a friend of mine, you guys could be brothers its kinda scary

edit: almost forgot the mm between u and Linguini were fun to watch, i missed the first two matches were u lost which of course means u won b/c of my presences so i think i deserve half of that money :). but real talk they were all real good matches and ganon dittos r real fun to watch
Haha, well that Ganon ditto was interesting, I was pretty scared when I was down 2 games but somehow brought it back 3 games in a row.. though I don't remember how and why that happened, I just know it was epic. And also Gahtzu walking away tight was satisfying for me too lol.

Kage! It was a fun money match! And like I said, you're going down next time we play! (I'm the Peach player that money matched you after the event. I counter picked you to YS).
Haha make sure you tell your friend. =P Next time, we'll see if you can take me down.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. it would be nice to have the match to look at since I don't remember that much from MMs or tournament matches but, I mean Falcon is one of my best match-ups.. So I just did lots of traps to prevent Falcon from comboing me and lots of counter-attacks.. Uhh.. I don't know, I usually make decisions and try to be as fast as Falcon at the very least and if they can't keep up that level then obviously they'll get destroyed because I'll have lots of things to exploit. I don't really know how I could get into specifics really..

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
please help me with falcon then. ****s killing me that i'm as bad as i am against him.

i'll try and get some matches recorded this saturday; tournament coming up here in orlando.

i've been consistently getting top 5 at our weeklies here in orlando, though. i'm definitely improving and don't want to stop at all. now that linguini and kage are both quitting (or taking breaks, i suppose) there's going to be less top ganondorfs out there, and i'd really like to be one of them.

matchups i'm doing awfully at are link, falcon, campy samus, and.....

don't kill me, but kirby.

yes, we have a really ****ing good kirby here in orlando. he's beaten linguini before in tournament. though, i'm pretty sure emilio was a tad off of his game/possibly stoned, it still happened. k.asjdfkljkjfjk

HELP ME GUYS. :<

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kirby? Who's Kirby? I played Rocky and Hack's Kirby and they did give me trouble, the match-up doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be for Kirby, it's definitely Ganon advantage but not that much surprisingly, I still beat them though but against him you definitely can't attack from above but one thing really vs Kirby is to attack with downwards tilts, downtilt and jabs to prevent anything from happening. Aerials don't seem really good unless he's already in the air where you can own him pretty good, but your ground game needs to be solid.. actually vs any match-up.

I can't really describe anything that's revolutionary against Falcon.. you just absolutely need to know how to DI away from combos and master SDI, if you can't do that then you'll get comboed to death. Learn to CC the Nair into Jab for example, or hell SDI upwards to avoid 2nd hit nair. Sometimes you have to take one or 2 hits to make Falcon stop. I know Bair beats Nair straight up but if he moves towards you then you need to jump back bair. You can counter-attack the knee with jab for sure. Well, you have to learn to read your opponents attack carefully too.. for example, if they shield Fair to Jab the first time then.. perhaps next time you can empty jump grab, or Fair into grab since they'll be more pressured. And then if you see them jump OOS then you'll need to counter-attack Upair immediately before any attacks comes out.

What gives you the most trouble because I could go on a lot to recognize patterns.. there's not that many but you need to be mindful with all of them.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
His name is Kuya. You won't find much on him. He has no videos up, and few results with his name on them. Florida has many players like that, lol

I play Zangief in AE and HDR, and pretty decently at that. My ground game is solid because of that, but this guy is so good at CCing that I didn't know what to do. I can't ever grab because he crouches all the time, too. sigh. jab doesn't hit when he crouches, either.

in all honesty, i know very basic DI. my DI otherwise is trash. i've never had anyone teach me how to DI, and when i've tried to learn it myself (from david's "demo kirby" stuff, videos, etc) it never worked for me. I hardly know how to SDI as well. no one seems to know how to teach me it, either. and it would have to be in person because that's just how i am with learning things.

i'm bad with the nair distance spacing because sometimes, i'll trade instead of beating it out with bair. not sure how to improve on that aside from playing the matchup more and more. i already do cc jab, downtilt to jab stuff.

i'm not a robot player, so reading stuff like what you just described is second nature. my main problems are the spacing on moves, and DI. i have everything else down.

but link and kirby....ugh. such bull**** matchups that are so perfectly unorthodox that i have to learn.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You don't know DI? Well, all I can say is that it requires some prediction and reaction, and also experience for sure. Though with more experience it's much easier to know how to DI things to avoid getting comboed. You have to understand your current % and how you should DI moves, because every move has a certain way where you should DI. You kinda have to pick one move at a time. Falcon upair's = You have to DI away or downwards and away from him... because if you DI towards him he can keep doing Upairs. Think of SDI as an extra push.. it kinda like teleports you into where you want to go so you don't get hit. That's why it's good to SDI Falcon's Nair because when the first hit hits, then the 2nd won't because you'll be out of range. Or like Marth's Fair, again DI away.

As for Kirby, you need to use downwards attacks, jab should only be used to disrupt an attack on Kirby not to poke. Screw grabs too.. Poke him with downtilt and ftilt to force him to get out of shield, that's when you strike with possibly an aerial, if he CCs the ftilt, im pretty sure he cant do much to counter you.

For Falcon, I've got some new vids that are Falcon only, plenty of tricks for you to use in there.

Kage vs Vish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYQCpKUziC8
Kage vs Nakamaru http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPPWAlrWiJY
Kage vs S2J http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCTvgh5mZ8E

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Link.. uhh.. I never really play against him so I don't really know.. when I play that match-up, I just try to avoid projectiles and stick to what I know about the game mainly... you can definitely catch bombs too if you need. I kinda view the match-up like a ****tier Peach.

Because Falcon gets ***** on FoD usually and Ganon is good on FoD.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Depends on the match-up.. against Falcon FD for sure is gone on the strike.. they are the ones that strike Yoshi's and FoD first because I mean Ganon can bring Falcon off-stage really fast with just a couple of moves so.. and I mean Falcon off-stage is GG for him. I just feel like Falcon does not have as good mobility on the stage and Ganon doesn't really suffer from it much because he's already slow so, you can eat space really easily normally with his large hitboxes. It's pretty much the gist of it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya sometimes.. but so does everyone else too... which is why it's a good stage to master. I don't think there's many things you can mess up on FoD. You can upair on the platform and immediately drop from it and do another one, it covers a lot of ground already just that.. and also it's for Ganon to kill on the sides easily. I would take that match-up maybe vs Falco but not Fox.. possibly Marth too, for sure Falcon.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
you just absolutely need to know how to DI away from combos and master SDI, if you can't do that then you'll get comboed to death.
This this this.

I feel like falcon is one of my stronger match-ups as well, but that doesn't mean it's by any means easy. I still struggle with my SDI away from nairs, and combo starters.

I can see where Kage has put serious work into making himself different there. But yeah, fighting him is pretty much spacing and making trades that work in your favor while avoiding to get death combo'd by the flurry of Nairs that could each start a 0-death if you don't DI just right.

Also, Ian. Vs Samus(my actual best matchup I believe) just do not be scared of samus' shield. Just attack it. they can't grab you out of shield since we have a jab that comes out 12 times faster than her grab, and you have to keep the pressure on samus because this will force them to either roll(which is horrible and they try to avoid it as much as possible) or they have to attack out of shield which leads to a probable advantageous trade for ganon. Besides that, general spacing is very important. And proper shielding. Moving your shield to cover your feet when standing on a platform to get by her missiles, and stuff like that is key.

Jab and ftilt really work well vs her, from my experience with IHSB. Who's really solid.

Top Bottom