• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Nyr

Smash Cadet
How should I play the Peach matchup? It's so weird and I keep losing it. Should I be aggressive, being in her face with Fairs the whole time or should I stay back and catch a turnip, and use that for my approach? :x

This is Pal version by the way, so Fair won't kill on ridiculous percents. =/

spider_sense

Smash Champion
How should I play the Peach matchup? It's so weird and I keep losing it. Should I be aggressive, being in her face with Fairs the whole time or should I stay back and catch a turnip, and use that for my approach? :x

This is Pal version by the way, so Fair won't kill on ridiculous percents. =/
lol I really don't know man, playing the PAL version is really weird, but I remember Guini saying the bair still has the same killing applications as it does in the other versions. The safest way to catch turnips (which yes, I do recommend you do, since it does provide setups when you throw them) is to block them and let it hit you shield, then jump up and catch with z. You should be spaced out, since a lot of her moves can out prioritize yours. Tilts and baiting into grabs are your best bet.

@ Skrach - Lmao I can one up that.

Linguini

Smash Master
Nah, it actually is the same. Nothing about Ganon is better in PAL. I'm glad I don't have to play PAL ever again, **** hitting people with fairs over 120 and watching them DI it. And stomp to grab doesn't work from 0-5%!

Nyr

Smash Cadet
No Kage.

Once you are the Ganondorf, you cannot go back.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. Let's see how I do next time.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Jason, think about what we talked about yesterday.

Your problems with Marth stem from your general skill level. Your next objective step forward as a player is to get your technicals down without looking at your character.

A key aspect of this matchup, as stated time and time again, is spacing. In order to space Marth, you have to know his position and intentions at all times. This is impossible if you have to look at Ganon every time you want to Waveland.

Not to mention the potential punishment opportunities missed that come from being trapped in procedural operations, making much of your technical displays wholly superfluous.

Next time you practice alone, practice everything you know looking only at the computer. Only practice fresh concepts looking at your character.

-Syn
reading through this thread from months before i knew competitive smash just really helped me. i've NEVER thought about not looking at my character. but it just seems so useful now that i think about it. if i can focus more on the opponent, while just having a good idea of where i am, then that would make spacing SO MUCH BETTER.

i just thought i'd share this insight a year later, for any other ganons who either havent seen this, or have forgotten this advice.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
indeed. now i see at least on more facet of how you can do it. watching your vids have shown me that you are the spacing master, but now i have at least one more hint of how it can be done.

i have a feeling that it'll be easier said than done. but then again in about 2 hours, i'll have like 7 of NCs top 10 players, including PP and his brother Twitch, in my basement at a smashfest. no better time to learn and apply than the day before playing strong competition lol

spider_sense

Smash Champion
reading through this thread from months before i knew competitive smash just really helped me. i've NEVER thought about not looking at my character. but it just seems so useful now that i think about it. if i can focus more on the opponent, while just having a good idea of where i am, then that would make spacing SO MUCH BETTER.

i just thought i'd share this insight a year later, for any other ganons who either havent seen this, or have forgotten this advice.
Yeah that post was mad helpful, Marth matchup isn't nearly as bad as for me as it was back then.

- Kimosabefanboy

But it can also be said in the melee compilation thread.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol interesting way to use moonwalks and dashdancing. I enjoyed the video, the marth seemed decent... that tipper was nasty lol. You have to pressure more Marth with downtilts imo.

skrach8

Smash Lord
agrees with kage.

dtilt ***** marth if he tries to double fair a ganon who is at low percents.

marth, at low percents, should do a shffl single fair to dtilt/block. If ganon CC to dtilt u can try to beat it out with a dtilt of your own orrrrr block and retaliate. Each sets up its own mindgame/combo setup/pressure string.

as for lower mid to mid percents u can start to really pressure ganon with nairs, fairs, forward b, dtilts as well as jabs and ftilts.

but i try not to get ganon at too high a percent because he is just annoying when he gets up there in damage.... so i aim for quick decisive kills.

kage we have this MM dont we? Are you still coming to florida in june?

Linguini

Smash Master
rofl louis,thats advice for marth against ganon. i doubt kage's coming now that it's not GAMME,so no double ganon *tear*.

I have a nasty teammate that m2k hooked me up with for WATO though thats guaranteed 1st place in doubles!

skrach8

Smash Lord
oh tru.... prolly hax, jman, or chu......?

am i close?

i really wanna main ganon, but im too much of a ***** so i stick with marth...... call it jealousy! Thats the only reason i post in this thread :(

Divinokage

Smash Legend
rofl louis,thats advice for marth against ganon. i doubt kage's coming now that it's not GAMME,so no double ganon *tear*.

I have a nasty teammate that m2k hooked me up with for WATO though thats guaranteed 1st place in doubles!
Ya I can't dude, but are you going to any other tourney? Like RoM 3? or Apex!?

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
A Mexican truck.

I was gonna link this thread where people had to come up with alternative names for ganon's moves, and one person put "the Mexican truck" for his down-b... but i cant find it.

And yeah, the truck would have to be Mexican.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
still don't know how. i checked out the ganon vs. thread from before i was playing and i realized i don't have a ground game at all lol. and apparently one is supposed to be necessary/useful vs sheik.

played dj rome on saturday and got 2 and 3 stocked. i tried to do smart stuff but i just ended up getting sheik'd and combo'd and edgeguarded. good thing dj is nc's only sheik...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah the ground game is important. CC jab and grab are good tools. It's important to note that although you should go for the grab whenever possible, you shouldn't get carried away and go for a grab when it isn't safe or when there is a better option. Unexpected jabs and tilts can lead to jc grabs. Dtilt is also a good move due to it's range and the free uair it normally gives you.

Don't rush DJ. When I played him he was pretty campy. Try to keep the right distance from him so that he feels pressured to make a move but you are in no immediate danger. Keep yourself in motion with dashdances, wavedashes, etc. and try to keep him guessing. Don't miss any l-cancels and stick to your fastest moves.

Edit: Also, don't forget about stage control. On stages like ys, bf, and fod, controlling the center of the stage can make sheik feel pressured and lead to more edgeguards.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm almost 25 now.. and I still kick most people's ***.. Never give up! =D The prime age is at 30 anyhow, I can still greatly improve my skills! And so can anyone else for that matter. You just need to want it enough.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
It seems like the younger people are, the better they are at smash. At 22, maybe it's time for me to throw in the towel.
lol I'm 23 and still bad at this game. But yeah, never give up and never say die. Actually there are alot of smashers past the age of 20 that still play and are very good. Wife, Scar, Kage (just read the post below) DJ Nintento, Thomas Tipman, Tope, and there's at least 7 guys here I know personally in Miami that play and they're really good for their age. Not that being past 26 is old in any way, but yeah you get the idea. :laugh:

Top Bottom