• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Renth

Smash Hero
i wish my tech skill with ganondorf was good. it should be, seeing as who i learned from.
This is what I tell everyone, pay attention newer ganon players this should help you out in the long run.

Go to dream land. Ganons first jump at the peak of the jump is the same height of the lower platforms So if you jump once you reach that peak hold straight right/left and then hit R/L for perfect wavelands.

Ganons double jump also applies this to the top platform, repeat until you get the feeling and can see the animation clearly. Then start wavelanding off the top onto the lower ones then down to the ledges. Takes less practice than you think you'll be flying everywhere in no time.

Eventually, you'll get use to the animation and process that you'll be sliding all over every platform on every stage with ease.

Edit: Spider_Sense and I tournament set was recorded a long with matches with Harriet The Guy, and others.. Unfortunately the uploader didn't upload these videos after 2 weeks of their last upload so I don't expect them to go up anytime soon or if at all

dERO!

Smash Apprentice
Tbh, I'm practicing atm, but I can't seem to get it right using the c-stick, I keep doing a bair 1time out of 5.

Now I remember why I learned how to ledgedash using a fastfall, 4years ago.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Honestly, it doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you don't mess up.

Like I said, I drop with the c-stick, then jump with the control stick. I believe it's a lot more common to drop with the control stick and jump with X/Y, but everyone has to find what way works best for them.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I am most comfortable using the control stick actually. I just barely tap it away from the stage, then immediately flick it toward the stage while pressing Y/X and then I press R/L when I'm at the peak of my jump. Didn't you say you do that, Renth?

But listen to raph, whatever feels the most comfortable to you is the best way to do it.

Also, thanks sveet:)
Looking forward to playing you guys again AND going to your tournament. Dunno if you saw this, but ripple is coming up and he's bringing dart with him!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
To me it feels better to practice your tech skills while there is an opponent trying to stop you, in this way you'll know for sure if what you did was stupid or good. And eventually, you'll know what to use depending on where he is on-stage or off-stage from the ledge.

Renth

Smash Hero
To me it feels better to practice your tech skills while there is an opponent trying to stop you, in this way you'll know for sure if what you did was stupid or good. And eventually, you'll know what to use depending on where he is on-stage or off-stage from the ledge.
There's one bad habit I can't break in tournament matches, when I'm on the ledge and the opponent is standing there. I know I can waveland onto the stage consistently, up air onto the stage consistently, but whenever in tournament when I try. I end up just jumping from the ledge it becomes predictable and I get punished hard for it. It pisses me off that I will jump from the ledge then go back to the ledge 3 times in a row because It's not what I'm meaning to do.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
There's one bad habit I can't break in tournament matches, when I'm on the ledge and the opponent is standing there. I know I can waveland onto the stage consistently, up air onto the stage consistently, but whenever in tournament when I try. I end up just jumping from the ledge it becomes predictable and I get punished hard for it. It pisses me off that I will jump from the ledge then go back to the ledge 3 times in a row because It's not what I'm meaning to do.
How come does that happen? I've realized in tournament play normally you'll generally fall back to old habits because you get nervous.. just like when you feel pressured or you are getting hit then all you can do is go back to what you've learned to do. That's why it's important to have a strong backbone so even in fear you'll be able to stay relaxed because you'll know what to do.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
this. i only practice against people nowadays.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, i only play against people now, but i probably should have the singular drive that i used to have. i find myself using the wrong timings on stages sometimes (doing dreamland wavedashes on battlefield will get you hurt, badly) simply because i don't practice alone like i used to. most things are just muscle memory, but it's important to learn them in battle, but also to make sure that you don't forget how to do these things.

dERO!

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I think I get it, when I stop playing I was able to do tricks that I can't do anymore, but my muscles still wanna do it in matches, it hurts.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
When the Project M patch comes out, you guys should practice with the AI. I'm fairly certain it'll be better than I am. Or at least, I know I'll lose to it a few times. Perfect tech skill + inhuman reflexes = win?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
as sneak reminded me, it'll be REALLY hard to code in for it to follow DI. so idk how well it'll combo. with that being said, watching th PM peach was kinda tight. once it knows how to dsmash, it'll be a force. i'd team with it.

Renth

Smash Hero
As far as practicing goes for the past year or two the only time I play is at tournaments the rare times friends want to play with me. I just get the rust off quickly with friends. I don't own a controller or anything anymore

G. Vice

Smash Lord
So I'm going to a tournament this weekend with some pretty big names. Dart, IHSB, Iori, Nite, and Jace are a few of them. Me and IHSB will be teaming, so I'm sure we'll have some matches recorded and I'll be sure to share the love.

Ya'll wish me luck. I think I'm the only Ganon player that's gonna be there.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
So I'm going to a tournament this weekend with some pretty big names. Dart, IHSB, Iori, Nite, and Jace are a few of them. Me and IHSB will be teaming, so I'm sure we'll have some matches recorded and I'll be sure to share the love.

Ya'll wish me luck. I think I'm the only Ganon player that's gonna be there.
Ripple told me that he and dart were going to a tournament I was going to this weekend. Maybe it's the same one? Hosted by Sveet? Unless that ******* Ripple changed his plans on me (I hope you're reading this, Blake)...

Either way, good luck! Make sure to upload some vids. And if I do see you there, I'm gonna keep annoying you until you play some friendlies with me:)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Dart said he wanted to go to the tournament in wherever strong bad is. everyone else in peoria wants to go to smashing grounds.

since, I don't have a teammate for the not chicago one, then I'd most likely go to chicago. its all up to dart, but if he hasn't told SB he isn't coming then, he isn't going to chicago with us

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Excited to play you again dude! That practice payed off... Except for getting four stocked by trail the troll, that was super weak. Oh well haha major nervous johns and trails pretty damn good.

I digress... it'll be good to see you and your crew.

EDIT: and change your damn avatar

Linguini

Smash Master
haven't posted about ganon in ages but i've been playing almost all falco/fox lately.

In tournament I just use whatever character I feel comfortable with now. I feel like that's more effective at a top level....I have been playing some of the jolly ol' dorf and it took me like 1 match to get unrusty lol

I'm still down to give advice though because I want to see ganon players bodying these tier whoore @ss *****s!

ask away!

My serious smash phase is long past though. I attend only florida tournaments and whatever ones I may randomly be near on trips. the game is great so I just play it for fun now

nothing better than reverse uair to suicide stomp on last stocks

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
nothing better than reverse uair to suicide stomp on last stocks
OMFG I've been saying this for years. Maybe now that you said it it will become more mainstream. ACE guard son! reverse uair to dropzone dair on falco kills (dair hits before his up-B takes flight) On Fox you can do it if you have more stocks, but you have to reverse uair, dropzone dair, then dj dair him again lol. Ultimate disrespect.

had to edit, typo "uair" instead of dair.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I wonder if you could Edge cancel Dair and then fast fall an upair to hit someone before they started falling. Like bowser because he goes through more hitlag with you. Except I don't think you can move/edgecancel during hitlag so it's not possible.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I've done dair (edgecanceled) to uair, fair, and bair. Nair is also possible (but ********). There are weird properties to edge-canceling. Sometimes you can edge-cancel and kinda float there for a second, other times you clip it and you get sucked toward the edge almost. FF anything pretty much makes it impossible or it has to be frame perfect for at least uair--fair and bair aren't possible. I prefer to do dair to charged usmash. The extra 10 charge up frames can mean a kill if it's a nice **** hit. I always wanted to do dair to utilt though. It is a real combo, and I've had the setup before, [hit the dair and flubbed on reading it right] but it's probably very hard to get competitively. I imagine it's an instakill though.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Linguini! just the man I needed to talk to. Recently, I've been having a lot of trouble with the marth and falco matchups (especially marth), even though those are arguably ganons best high tier matchups. Lol I know. Anyway, you seem to be pretty beast at those, esp falco. Any tips? how to beat their approaches, laser evasion, etc.

My serious smash phase is long past though. I attend only florida tournaments and whatever ones I may randomly be near on trips.
Bummer. If you ever reconsider, come to FC! You can stay at my place the night before and smash with kage, eikelmann, sveet, trail, kels, the rest of chicago and myself.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
See for yourself lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-exj-C5NAE

p.s. the warlock punch was because ripple was countering me on my throws all day and I hoped to get him at it haha, it wasn't a serious move.

Anyway, I get juggled a lot, baited a lot, grabbed a lot, comboed a lot, killed a lot, and everything a lot:glare:

Spidey gave me some good advice, and that match was actually from a while ago (aka it's not exactly flattering)

Maybe I could work on: how to approach and how to beat marth's approaches for starters. Thanks, ACE. And whoever else decides to contribute.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
See if you can get something more recent. I know at our level, 1 month can make a pretty big difference.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
my ****ing internet is so bad in this house they put me up in in jersey i can't even load youtube videos. ****ing sucks.

I'll say one thing about the reverse uair to dropzone dair... it's way, way more practical than that sexy edge cancel ****... and it's also just as sexy.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
my ****ing internet is so bad in this house they put me up in in jersey i can't even load youtube videos. ****ing sucks.

I'll say one thing about the reverse uair to dropzone dair... it's way, way more practical than that sexy edge cancel ****... and it's also just as sexy.
Uair to Bair is what I normally use vs Falcon, it's too faceroll. lol.

Top Bottom