• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to handle snakes.....

link2702

Smash Champion
how can I beat a Good snake user with Pit....? I know Pit has a disadvantage against snake, but surely their has to be SOME method to handle them....

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
People keep telling me this and I keep getting confused. The only think I can see about Snake is his tilts. Powershield them and he's going to die. All I can suggest doing is learn to read his attacks and Powershield them. Then quickly follow up with a strong strike of your own.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have fought two people that are listed on my Brawl Friend Code with Pit. One was today, the other was a while back. I won with Pit against both of my friends. One of the things I found useful in today's match was having Snake being in the air. Whenever Snake went into the air, I would use my u-air and he'd get caught in it. I don't think that Snake's d-air is effective here.

What you have to be careful for is Snake's neutral A, because it can combine into three consecutive hits, and the third hit will cause you to fly. You'll have to also be wary of his f-tilt, since the first seems to lock you, while the second sends you flying. Pit's arrows are useful if Snake plans on using his d-smash. It'll destroy it. Snake's projectile shouldn't be a problem either, unless he uses his Nikita and decides to make it fly above you and then cancels it out.

Use Pit's b-air if Snake is using his Up+B recovery. Since Snake takes damage but is invulnerable to standard attacks, the b-air will strike him out of his recovery.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Dry is right pits arrows cant take out his down smash. also most snakes fight on edge because they only attack in 1 direction powershield and unpredictable rolls will take snake out also use angel rings on his projectiles since you get closer they will return faster and yea back air his up b

kupo15

Smash Hero
IMO, snakes are not really a problem. What does he do that causes you trouble? If it is Usmash, then Angel Ring is good because it traps them, and reflects the shell so it hurts them.

link2702

Smash Champion
its the Ftilts and Grabs, as well as the sliding Usmashes...the Ftitls are the main problem, though, I can't seem to find anyway to beat a snake....

link2702

Smash Champion
post some vids so we can help
I don't have any vids, and I don't have anyway to post them, and the only vids I could possibly show you, i'm not, because its against a ******* who faced me when I barely started brawl, so for one thing, its not even a good representation of how good my pit really is........but even now with recent matches against a few buddies of mine that are good snake suers, I still can't seem to avoid the Ftilts, or the grabs

kupo15

Smash Hero
well whenever you get a good recording, send it to me and Ill send it through aim. When that time comes, PM me with your wii and brawl code and aim. I will see your PM faster than a reply on this thread.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
In all honesty hes our anti's anti this isnt rock paper scissors there isnt much you can do they run away setting traps and throwing gernades at you when you come near they forward tilt you not much you can do also they slide up smash to make matters worst

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Snake can only hit you with his f-tilt if you get close. The same is with his grabbing. I use grabs with Pit as well and throw in a few grab jabs here and there. Try out this technique: Grab Snake, throw him to the left or to the right, and use the Angel Ring in that direction.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
U-Tilt can be scary too if you don't see it coming. Just saying, It ranges out in front of him quite a ways.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
ive never had trouble with snake, maybe because ive never fought a really good one, his only aerials you have to watch for are Back Up and Neutral the other two are low priority or hella slow.a snake that likes his grenades gets screwed over if you arrow spam while hes trying to cook, also if you snipe a grenade it will explode prematurely or if you snipe snake while hes holding one he will drop it.

overall i dont see the big problem, but maybe i should face some better snakes

KuroX

Smash Rookie
Another thing that I've noticed about Snake's Utilt is that you can't out-priority that in the air. Chances are, if you are approaching Snake in an aerial game, if they're smart enough, they can catch you with Utilt. Best advice is to be aware of the oncoming attacks and carefully counter them. Usually, everything a good Snake player does is a setup for something bigger.

If there's C4 on the ground, keep them in the general area. This becomes a game of Russian Roulette, but its an equally effective mindgame against the mines they use. Nikita's can be shot right back quickly if you shield them or just use AR. Shield the grenades thrown at you always. Using AR can potentially cause them to explode on contact. Most importantly of all, always keep the pressure on them. Snakes need time to work and if you don't give them that, they crack and the match is set at your pace.

These are just my observations, so I really hope they help. I could always analyze Snakes gameplay more and come up with more strategies for Pits, if needed. Always happy to help out. ^___^

KuroX

Smash Rookie
This is true, but only if pursued. I would say try shooting the grenades with arrows. Start from a far and work your way in. Arrows are really important in Snake fights.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I came across a Snake tonight in Basic Brawl. He was more of a strategist than a fighter. Yet, he kept on winning, until I ***** him with Donkey Kong. Oh, and I won with Samus. Yeah, the guy kept on getting points easily, since everyone else was busy fighting each other, and he'd plant his C4 after taking flight. I picked up his method.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised I'm in the minority here but I think snake is a really hard fight. He has so many options at any given moment its hard to tell what he's going to do. Also I've noticed most snakes have somewhat different styles then other snakes so its hard to generalize what to do against him.

My best advice is pick a level with a high ceiling against him. Most of his moves kill vertical and he can kill vertical way better then you can. Beyond that a couple things to watch out for is the uptilt. Around 105% it will kill you if he keeps it fully refreshed which he should. His dair can kill you around 70% although its somewhat hard for him to land if he baits a roll that can mean a very disappointing death. Watch out for grenade cooking where he just holds a grenade and has your attack set it off. These can be a pain on the ground as he can take it out and shield to not take damage but arrows beat that easy enough. The worst time is in the air or when you are trying to chain some attacks he can almost always get the grenade out to break the combo but if you expect the grenade you can generally aim your attack so it hits him but not the grenade. Although I tend to be rather obsessive about keeping attacks refreshed one of the most beneficial things you can do against snake is just keep track of your attack depletion he is a fatty and if you try to kill him with a depleted fsmash he will be able to survive to 190% ish generally arrows work great to refresh attacks against him. Also grab the cipher thats fairly common knowledge but worth mentioning.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
When i fight snakes. I always have the hardest time fighting them in the air. Snakes aerials seriously out prioritize pits. I find it almost impossible to combo a good snake in the air. And usually the killing blows are the Ftilts, which have really long range, more then it would seem by glance.

Though my most favorite thing to do is to return all of his projectiles at him. Especially his grenade. i like to pick it up and throw it back if there is time. Reflect his Up smashes, and his Side B.

The only real problem is i can never kill him. I swear if it wasnt for his huge recovery. Snake wouldnt be so hard.

kown

Smash Lord
his recovery is kinda like pits where its a nice recovery but it can be his biggest weak point.

throwing back nades is always a plus and can annoy snake players. combo with AR. ionno alot of good things to do against snake. the only move that i find to b rediculous with snake is his up tilt. but besides that arrows stop everything. and if the ever shoot that missle thing its easily punished. just run at it and roll past it than smash.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
When i fight snakes. I always have the hardest time fighting them in the air. Snakes aerials seriously out prioritize pits. I find it almost impossible to combo a good snake in the air. And usually the killing blows are the Ftilts, which have really long range, more then it would seem by glance.

Though my most favorite thing to do is to return all of his projectiles at him. Especially his grenade. i like to pick it up and throw it back if there is time. Reflect his Up smashes, and his Side B.

The only real problem is i can never kill him. I swear if it wasnt for his huge recovery. Snake wouldnt be so hard.
For the aerials you have to take advantage that pits has disjointed aerials while snake doesn't. You can beat his aerial game with decent spacing although you have to be careful in the air because he can pull a nade out instantly and just blow you both up.

For throwing grenades back theres a glitch where he can make you drop the grenade (if only one nade is out) so watch out for that but its always refreshing to see snake own weapons hurting him.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I thought Pit was supposed to be a counter for Snake. His arrows disrupt Snake's actions, shooting him when he uses the missile, etc. As for those Dash-usin snakes... It takes patience i suppose.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Pit does counter Snake. But don't say it too loudly. 99.999% of Smashboards will go to the grave claiming that both "Pit sucks" and "Snake can't be beaten by anyone."

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Well, I own a ball python and to be honest the best way to handle a snake is to make sure you know where it's head is. Then they can't bite you. You should also handle them frequently so they are acostomed to being handled.

Also Arrows stop alot, and He's not to hard to edgeguard. Remember you can grab the cypher, steal his C4 in the air, and Bair him outta the cypher. Ive never had much of a problem.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Well concerning your situation with snake I have a match video to share with you guys. Grand finals in a miami, FL tournament that happened today. Snake is an extremely tough cookie for pit to handle. The following players are the top ranked snake and pit players in Florida.

This post will be edited later when the video has finished uploading.

EDIT: The video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV3ZjHB_j5o

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I love Danny's Pit. I wish I could see more of it. He's got great technical skill and his spacing is superb. Quick attacks and great spacing are the core of Pit's game. However I will say he looked really flustered during the second match. I know I would've been had Snake taken me out like that after I seemingly had it in the bag.

All-in-all Danny showcases the first of three types of Pits. I'm glad Pits are making it far into tournies. ^_^

nevershootme

Smash Master
I have more videos available to upload Undrdog, like 54 videos from the tournament gotta dig through... I'll do my best from time to time in uploading more.

heh... makes me wanna learn pit now, though I play snake myself and I hate playing against pit with a passion. note: I play against him all the time since we're in the same school and "crew"

edit: you do notice that he's pushing the grenades back from up-b so it doesn't blow up while playing in the edge.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Tell him Florida sucks and he should move up to Maryland. >_>

...WHAT!? Well you guys are still better then Texas. ^_^

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Tell him Florida sucks
I got to agree on this one. I mean South Carolina and Alabama both make it to Georgia tournaments but not Florida they are to busy with their own more convenient, pretty much weekly larger tournaments... can you believe them.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Yeah what's MikeG up to there says? lol
He was winning a bunch with snake when the game first came out but as far as I know he hasn't been to a brawl tournaments in about two months.

On a side note we are getting a bit off topic here.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Want to know how to be beat Snakes? Be fast but don't run into his jabs and tilts. There ya go, you know how to beat Snakes. >_< lol

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
agreed, just make him come to you, and when he does dodge and hit him into the air, if you can airdodge well snake is screwed because most of his aerials have long cool down like Bair or have high start up time like Fair, just be quick in the air against him

Oh and Undr how come i never hear about you in any tournaments? i mean you are best pit imo so i would expect you to go hustle some people out of their money haha

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
agreed, just make him come to you, and when he does dodge and hit him into the air, if you can airdodge well snake is screwed because most of his aerials have long cool down like Bair or have high start up time like Fair, just be quick in the air against him

Oh and Undr how come i never hear about you in any tournaments? i mean you are best pit imo so i would expect you to go hustle some people out of their money haha
I've only been to one Brawl tourney actually. I lost to Chillindude who eventually one the tournament. v_v

But I'll be attending more when the real tournaments start up this summer. ^_^

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
ahh ok cool beans
brawl this summer is gonna be intense haha, my firends rents are leaving for around a month haha so its gonna be a whole bunch of brawl for me, might be able to set up a little tourney would be some fun stuff without parents hastling about wasting my life and whatnot haha :D

Top Bottom