• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get way better with Marth

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
im either a hard marth or a meidium marth
Vids or it didn't happen.

Lol jk, but seriously when you do things like that its intimidating, no one asked you to state what level you are, this isn't a competition (well outside of tourneys), but now that you did, you might have to back it up. But hey what do i know, you can be very good, post count dont mean a thang.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Vids or it didn't happen.

Lol jk, but seriously when you do things like that its intimidating, no one asked you to state what level you are, this isn't a competition (well outside of tourneys), but now that you did, you might have to back it up. But hey what do i know, you can be very good, post count dont mean a thang.
he is my bro he is pretty good and if i can find my camera ill record a battle me vs him

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Which attacks of Marth are disjointed? Has the disjointed hitbox the power of the tip?

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Which attacks of Marth are disjointed? Has the disjointed hitbox the power of the tip?
I don't think you know what disjoint is.
A disjointed hitbox is a hitbox that extends outside your hurtbox, simply a hitbox with no hurtbox. Let's see, what characters' moves are disjointed then? Moves that use swords, hammers, snake's attacks and those things. Does Marth use a sword? Yes. With what moves? Not with grab.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
A disjointed hitbox is a hitbox that extends outside your hurtbox, simply a hitbox with no hurtbox. Let's see, what characters' moves are disjointed then? Moves that use swords, hammers, snake's attacks and those things. Does Marth use a sword? Yes. With what moves? Not with grab.
or Aura.
Oh yeah, Bowser ftilt has been annoying me so much, such a nasty punisher from underneath if he can get in your landing zone, just the fact that it outranges fair by a large margin is not nice T.T
BUMP

I really like this thread much more then the spam threads

who agrees?
I agree.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I knew what disjointed was, you was wrong. Do you mean all of Marth's attacks are disjointed? This is the question.

bow master1

Smash Apprentice
hey thanks 4 the 411(lol)just kiddin thanks 4 the info.itll really help in future brawls.

TreK

Is "that guy"
are you kidding ? lol
btw i've been trying to implement the full hop fair into my playstyle for about a week now, so yeah when it gets blocked i am never punished but when it's not i can't follow up and it's basically giving the opponent the momentum... what do you usually do after that ?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Running behind your opponent to reverse grab from the other side isn't a good idea. More times then none you'll get hit or you won't even go fully behind them resulting in you getting hit again.

Think of it as a move used to destroy their options when landing or air dodging, it's not an offensive move.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I have a problem with mixing up things. I usually stick to 1 pattern which kills me a lot. I can't really change my pattern that easily, aswell as mixing up is very difficult for me. Does any1 have advice on this?

Tari

Smash Apprentice
Do what I'm doing.. trying to figure out different things that will work in certain situations. Then just know your options and go with the flow?

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I have a problem with mixing up things. I usually stick to 1 pattern which kills me a lot. I can't really change my pattern that easily, aswell as mixing up is very difficult for me. Does any1 have advice on this?
I have this problem as well. This is where friendlies come in handy. Just try out different things that you may have read/seen, see what works and where it works well. Friendlies really are for you to experiment with your character as well as your opponent in seeing how they normally react in a given situation.

∫unk

Smash Master
Go to training mode. Have your opponent set to Snake level 9.

Practice tipping all your approaching. If you didn't tip assume you were unsafe. Practice gimping/spiking. Practice waiting for the air dodge then doing a tipped aerial. Practice hitting with the tip of n-air, b-air while constantly moving around (harder to use but extremely valuable kill moves). If you want to practice grab releases change the computer to Wario or Metaknight to learn the timing.

Your approach options are all of marths moves that don't have heavy lag, which includes:
1) tipped f-air
2) untipped f-air (cross over). *
3) tipped d-tilt *
4) tipped db1
5) tipped jab
6) pivot grab
7) shield grab
8) tipped shieldbreaker (start in the air) *
*only used this for mostly grounded characters

For practice, just cycle through all of those until you understand the relative safety of each one. Remember though, depending on the match up some of these options are completely unviable (ex. crossing over wario).

Honestly, if you space to tip all your f-airs you will already be very very hard to deal with. Remember with tipped f-air you have various spacing on this depending on short hop/full hop, rise/fall/fastfalled, going forward/backward. In general you should try to land as far away from the opponent as possible after you hit them with a tipped f-air.

Figure out your outs for bad/mediocre/good spacing (if powershielded). This can be jumping, ds, jab, roll away , spot dodge, continuing your db combo... if you know you had bad spacing never just stand there... but don't panic and create a bad defensive habit either (ex. spot dodging/shielding after every poorly spaced move)

Example of training mode training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA8kltZKlMc

I cannot replicate that with Metaknight even though I know exactly what happened. M2K has a better understanding of spacing than I do. You can practice similarly with Marth.

It's not going to win you any tournies but it'll make you as good as you can be for playing by yourself.

Maybe this post should have been a seperate thread lol what do you guys think?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
That method of training is actually very good. My Fair spacing seems pretty good, but I have to work on moving Bairs and such, I actually used retreating Bair alot yesterday =P

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
Great Thread and information. This will greatly helps those in need of improving marth. I may keep a few of this information with me. (Im pretty good with marth but theres always room for improvement)

Laurel

Smash Ace
I had a problem with killing myself until I got some advice about not being so aggressive. That paired with this thread boosted the skill level by a lot.

Simple advice goes a very long way. Great thread, *thumbsup*

Top Bottom