• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better with Snake. [Updated August 16th]

frayike

Smash Cadet
Um i am not sure what to say haha. I mean first off Protoss, I can't take you that seriously with the amount of spelling and gramatical errors you produced. Sorry I guess I am just that sort of dude. Um good luck with the trolling( Heard it makes people feel better ) Feel free to make comments on our mothers and/or how girly we are. You know I'll help you with that, Today you are such a girl ;) Man gotta love the trolls

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't tell if this guy is serious or not... but it's sending this thread in a bad direction.

Protoss, talk about how awesome you are in the social thread. That way the arguments that get started aren't derailing any threads, since the social thread has no rails.

frayike

Smash Cadet
Yes Zajice has got the right idea you guys should continue it there where the sillyness happens. Ran if I felt someone was going to roll should i go for the epic behind fsmash or the more technical approach of the grab to d-throw madness? I am sure I know the answer but I feel like it could go either way as if you are right then you get rewarded where as the latter you get punished either way so yeah.

-Ran

Smash Master
Ran if I felt someone was going to roll should i go for the epic behind fsmash or the more technical approach of the grab to d-throw madness? I am sure I know the answer but I feel like it could go either way as if you are right then you get rewarded where as the latter you get punished either way so yeah.

F-Smash requires 41 frames to actually get a hitbox out. The only time you really can get it to hit with is on some of normal speed rollers, such as Snake when you have them on one edge. Position yourself to where they can't hit you with a get up attack, yet still would feel pressured to get up. Then, before they start to roll, you have to already have tapped the C-Stick for it to really work. Due to this, it only works like 1/100 matches against someone that's skilled, and 9/10 against n00bs. =p It's like shooting from Half-Court in Basketball. It's demoralizing for your opponent, wow's the crowd, but still just counts as three points. The easiest way to set up an f-smash though is with already proving you have a great tech chase game.

So in the end, you should always go with the safest option, which in this case would be either a F-Tilt or a Down throw tech chase. The potential of damage on your own character is extremely low, and you don't provide your opponent with any means of actually gaining momentum or superior position.

Ps: I'm going to have a mod clean up this thread at some point.

Protoss_Zealot

Smash Rookie
I can't tell if this guy is serious or not... but it's sending this thread in a bad direction.

Protoss, talk about how awesome you are in the social thread. That way the arguments that get started aren't derailing any threads, since the social thread has no rails.
says the poke'queer boy. listen why don't you get your buddies and play a game of magic instead of trying to voice your opinion which no one cares about

frayike

Smash Cadet
Thank you Ran. I am not sure if this is correct but is snake hard to Dthrow techchase? If I predict it that's easy but if I try to react to it then it seems much to hard to punish him for rolling behind me. Ftilt maybe? Idk I never play other snakes with the exception of today on wifi which was stupid cuz he was so predicatable. he would Dacus across the stage so I got tired of messing around and started to punish it at range with fsmashes. He caught on eventually haha.

Protoss_Zealot

Smash Rookie
Okay thanks. Snake dittos are weird enough as is.
whats wrong with a ditto match? i say if you can beat yourself you can beat anyone who could beat you. that beaing said,im pointing out that you can beat anyone who can beat you im not saying you can beat everyone who can. just making some points on what i think,but then again if you can beat another snake does not mean you can beat any char. its the chars uniquenbess that makes them somewhat unpredictable

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Very good thread Ran. I respect you already just because of the blue name and post. The "smart airdodging" is definitely a must, I get ***** by doing reactionary ones to DDD's that fish the grab all the time and I didn't realize why.

I also like your post about how you start the match, that's definitely an interesting method. Getting two hitboxes out is definitely a good idea, especially since one gives you half-map control on battlefield (mine) for the most part (and as long as you are good at ignoring the baits it gives your opponent).

The fsmash thing seems wack though. I know you were saying it was unsafe, but if you shielded and instead watched the roll coming and caught it with a dair I think that'd be very viable.

-Ran

Smash Master
The fsmash thing seems wack though. I know you were saying it was unsafe, but if you shielded and instead watched the roll coming and caught it with a dair I think that'd be very viable.
The thing is, against top players, once they see the shield they know that they have additional frames to deal with in avoiding your tech-chase. You should only be shielding when you tech chase when you see the animations start for an attack against higher level players. After all, with shield dropping grenades, Snake's shield is already being deteriorated without even being hit ever so slowly. Actually, had you not noticed, Ally rarely will shield drop a grenade because of this. He tends to operate out of the B-stance for grenade throwing.

Dairing initially would appear to be a good option, but really it's in the same vein as F-throw. It has the potential to do a lot of damage, but reading to go for another down-throw or an F-tilt will typically do more for you on average through the duration of several matches. Dair is SDI-able by good players, and some characters due to their weight will pop up. Furthermore, it will only catch large characters that are rolling, and is mostly used to attack during the states of 'do nothing', 'get up attack' and 'simply stand up.'

I find that a reliance on Dair makes a player reduce the overall effectiveness of their tech-chase. With Snake, you don't have to force the kill, EVER. If you have the option to dair, you're normally better off doing a F-tilt, down throw, or up tilt. Part of the fear of Snake comes from players learning to realize that if you grab them once, it will yield at least 32% damage. That's almost a third of a stock. So, with Snake I would say that the best method of dealing with the tech chase is to play the long, guaranteed game. Take what your opponent gives you, and don't force the issue for more.

-

Underload, you should clean out all of the posts by Protoss.

RATED

Smash Lord
i dont need to go to tournaments....although i really wish they did have tournies in my big town. im a pretty good player. one of my old friends knows all the techniques and tricks hes learned from internet and despite all the things hes learned from internet and everyone else. he still cant beat me. especially when im snake. even his best char ike cant beat me and hes played the game about 2x longer then i have and hes had more oponents. im just good at this game hands down. and if we played i'd make you look like a little girl so HA. but please dont ask me to play onlone vs you because i cant stand the lag system online when nintendo made it they weren't thinkin about the online play. even so i prefer to play with the person right there. no lag at all and it takes all skill. my point is im a great brawl player and anyone who plays me will have achallenge for sure. i dont need any kind of recognition to know im good.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
When I tech chase, I usually go for the F-Tilt since its just quick, easy, great, reliable damage. And great players know how to mix it up so that they can avoid a regrab. I've gotten pretty good at this though and managed to get the F-Smash off through my tech chase game. From observance rolling behind Snake from a tech chase is probably the worst thing you can do against someone who reads well. It pretty much opens them to just about any follow up if you read it correctly. And most players have relatively easy to spot habits after careful observing. For example most beginner players will roll away from a ledge if you grab them out of fear of cornering themselves. A lot of intermediate/some higher level players will roll towards it because they know it puts them in a bad situtation and "logically" it would make no sense to do that. That's probably how I've gotten the most F-smashes through tech chasing.I use D-throw in the beginning of the match so I can figure out their habits and plot out my strategy for the course of the match. I always have something planned no matter what happens because your opponent only have so many options from being D-Throwed and like Ran said they can't really gain momentum or an advantage there. The worst case scenario, you take 10% from a misread wake up attack.

I think Dair is a good mixup but personally I don't use it for tech chasing. Its easy to SDI out of with a little practice and honestly our options are just more practical. Dair is threatening but considering how tech chasing is personally VERY important to my damage racking game I'd rather take the safe route and go for the 30% or the regrab or the Up-Tilt (I usually just use it for the kill here) then risk the Dair. Like Ran I prefer to look at the bigger picture. Were taking about Snake. There's no reason to really rush anything. That's why I love this character.

-Ran

Smash Master
Placing C4 on Battlefield is on the corner of the top platform is pretty legit:

1) It visually will deny access to the top platform [it'll only cover 75% of it, but who is going to chance their knowledge of the hitbox?].
2) It covers beneath the platform to capture anyone air dodging beneath it, or attempting to short/full hop approach on the ground level.
3) Shuts off 25% of the next level platform closest to it, for an easy hit, since people will think they are safe.
4) Kills MK at around 70% with no DI. It's also a great punish for Shuttle Loop/drill rush shenanigans.

The reason C4 works best there, is because Grenades should be denying the access to the lower levels of the stage. A grenade on any of the lower platforms denies total access to above/below it. The closer you land grenades to the center of the stage [but on the platform] the better, since it cuts off most of the pressure potential of the stage.

Really, all of us as a whole need to work on keeping more of our grenades on the stage during every match. Sometimes, the best thing you can do with a grenade is to throw it up and down, instead of Left/right. Various grenade throws:
Item in Hand -
Soft Up -> Falls back and explodes at the same height as the top platform of BF.
Soft Up + -> Falls back and bounces once on a platform and explodes between the two platforms. If not platforms, will land on the ground with one bounce, and then bounce to the height of the first platform.
Heavy Up -> Explodes off screen.
Heavy up + Shield Drop Grenade -> Bounces once on lower level platform, and then explodes. Explodes immediately on the ground with no platform.

Soft Down -> Bounces once on the platform, then explodes after settling on the platform. Or bounces once, and explodes slightly beneath a platform. Will not get caught in the top platform, but will appear to almost do so.

--

Actually rather than typing it out even more, I'll make it simple. You should ALWAYS down if you want to occupy more play space with the grenade per every throw. If you want to have a 'shock' grenade hit, then C-stick throw them down, or Grenade strip a C-stick Up throw to have it drop from 'no where.' A side benefit of doing this, is that you can grab the grenade with an instant throw, or grab it on the ground. If you do the latter, assuming your Snake is at the very edge of the screen, the explosion will occur in the dead center of the stage, and if you let it bounce off the ground, it will explode right at the interior edge of the platform.

Another thing that can be done, is doing C-stick Up throw, grenade strip, C-stick down. This covers a single spot well, without allow it to be disrupted by a projectile easily. Cstick-down, and then soft-down, yields to grenades that clump together, but won't set each other off, creating a stronger wall.

Random Grenade note: If you just normal throw a grenade from the edge, it'll land on the edge of the platform. Most people know this, but what you don't know is that you can actually mortar-slide TWICE before the grenade explodes. [That's three full F-tilts!] You can also double jump, Nair, and auto-cancel into an F-tilt or a Mortar Slide.

ZTD | TECHnology

Personally I'm trying to learn how to use Grenade Stripping and Grenade Grabbing in my game more effectively. I have own personal list that's like yours but goes into specific reasons why I need to it.

I definitely agree that we need to work on the Grenade game. I throw them down a lot so they come back on the stage, ( I guess I can strip one if I throw it up also). But mainly I'm trying to maintain a presence on the stage. I often forget that stage control is immensly important. In the friends I had with Lain I did very well when I had stuff all across the stage. Stripping worked very well, I managed to get a game off him by just Grenade countering and stripping at the right times.

And reading the guide has made me more conscious about my stage control in whole :)

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
1) Perfect shield more, and capitalize on the opportunities that they provide better. Perfect shields up close should at least yield a tilt or a down throw.
I should perfect shield more consistently too. I also need to pummel and dthrow more. Pummeling at higher % is really helpful and refreshes moves. I need to do this more.
2) Improve tech chase reads. People should hold their breath for fear of getting stuck in a loop. People should be afraid of getting grabbed by Snake, just as they fear getting grabbed by the Ice Climbers or a chain grab character.
I suck at tech chasing. I need to work on this more too.
3) Improve F-Tilt range game. Boost grab, down tilt, grenade, spot dodge read to pivot grab, jab, mortar slide, dash attack, walk/shield, and so on. Be able to react to every F-Tilt 'bounce' to go into another full F-Tilt.
I've currently been working on boost grab. I think I telegraph it too much though. I need to walk more instead of running. I need to stop ftilt2 when ftilt1 is blocked.
4) Better Grenade game. Too many grenades bounce away from the action or off of the stage. Grenades need to be a persistent threat on the stage. I should at least pull 30-50 grenades a game. I need to remember to check after every match.
You check amount of nades pulled by projectile count? I never look at the stats screen, so I don't remember. I could definitely work on my mixup options with nade. Nade>pick up aerial. Item picked up nade > air b-reverse nade (Yume does this and it gets me a lot, haha.) And other mix ups besides lob, item throw, and nade strip. I'm too 1 dimensional with my nades.
5) Improve SDI. You need to SDI every attack, and predict every hit that you're getting attacked with to SDI to the fullest.
THIS. THHHIIISS. AAAARRRGHHH, I can't react or even think fast enough to SDI a single hit. I can SDI multi hits okay, but knowing I'm gonna be punished and SDI-ing is too fast for me. I need to work on this.
**** Also, you sure you can QC-SDI? I know QCDI works with analogue, but I could've sworn you need to reset the c-stick to neutral. ****

6) Tech everything.
I should play more duelists, haha
7) Avoid spot dodging; it's typically a bad thing.
This again! I do this waaayyy too much. Yume was coaching me at the last tourney and pointed this out. Gotta work on this.
8) Stop air dodging out of fear. Only spot dodge to avoid a move during its start up.
I don't think I have too much of a problem with this. Keyword: think
9) Camp more. Stop giving up leads, or increasing the margin of your opponent's victory by playing at their tempo.
I catch myself approaching needlessly occasionally. I usually correct myself before anything bad happens.
10) No more sloppy B-reversals, or any other tech for that matter.
Haha, stupid nikita. Everytime I see a nikita I think B-reversal fail... unless it looks deliberate.
12) Adapt faster.
Street Fighter = no problem. Brawl = I really need to work on this. I think some of my wins come from learning the player more than adapting. Of course other times I know the player is also teaching me during our matches. When school starts, weekly smashfests will help this goal out
13) Get Hungry.

I was gonna put a link, but I couldn't find it... shut up, I love spongebob :laugh:
Plankton: Then get mean!
Patrick: I'm mean!
Mr. Krabs: Get angry!
SpongeBob: I'm angry!
Plankton: Now get out there!
Mr. Krabs: And win...
Plankton: That...
Mr. Krabs: Medal!
Patrick: Ahhh!
SpongeBob: Ahhh!
SpongeBob and Patrick: Ahhh!
Huge Fish: Ahhh.

14) Stay confident throughout the match. Don't let doubt enter your mind.
I get hyped and nervous when playing under pressure. I doubt myself a lot due to lack of certain MU experience.
15) Learn when to attack, and when to defend. Even if you have the advantage, you don't always have to attack, nor should you always camp.
I do this occasionally. I usually reset spacing to see if my strat is working.
16) Do not trade hits for the sake of mounting damage.
I do this all the time. Usually comes from pulling nades.
17) Play Safe. This doesn't mean camp. You must use the safest, least punishable options available. At the same time, you must be aware of how your opponent can attempt to punish these options, and then deal with them.
18) Learn how to get to my opponent's back consistently.
19) Stop running. If you're running at your opponent, you're doing it wrong. You're removing almost every option you have.
I already said I do this too much, haha.
20) Never crawl to avoid a projectile. Always power shield, it's quicker.
Crawling is okay in certain cases? Falco's laser?
21) Understand the vectors of attack my opponent can take, and utilize my DI/SDI to avoid the strongest attacks.
22) Avoid burning jumps unnecessarily when recovering.
**) Help one low-placing player at every tournament I go to for at least thirty minutes.
This basically means help ME :)
Good post Ran. It definitely makes me reflect on my playstyle and how I can improve. Having more experienced players to coach you helps. This check list is more introspective rather than having an external source coach. I find both useful. You the best!

-Ran

Smash Master
Thanks. To answer your question about crawling, it's bad unless you're doing it to avoid Aerials. You should be able to power shield Falco's Lasers with ease, and if you rely on crawling, they'll just instant Phantasm you, dealing damage to you that you would have avoided. Going into a crawl isn't a free action, nor is standing up from it.

Enter Crouch - 3 frames IASA, or 8 frames total.
Exit Crouch - 3 frames IASA, or 10 frames total.

So with that said... Power shielding is the optimal way to deal with projectiles.

etecoon

Smash Hero
shielding isn't a free action either, unless you're right next to falco you can't retaliate and moving forward from there could also result in getting hit/grabbed

I think shielding is usually a better option, just saying, in general there are no "free actions", you need mixups in everything you do as snake

ODST01

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble with pikachu. I can beat falco s, diddy Kong s, and MK s

napZzz

Smash Hero
I have alot of problems with rule 27

Personally I'm trying to learn how to use Grenade Stripping and Grenade Grabbing in my game more effectively. I have own personal list that's like yours but goes into specific reasons why I need to it.

A good general strategy is to toss a nade out (not shield dropped) and watch for your opponents reaction while you're holding one soon after throwing, depending on it you can strip and toss your 2nd one in another spot to cover more area or throw that one in a specific spot, maybe just keep it around you if they're closing in. just things like that

Its important to have accurate timing when it comes to using your own nades, i've come to the point of being able to throw a nade and have it detonate on contact, from any kind of throw or know when its going to blow up to place a 2nd one. Its all very important to learn all these little things and improve them. Especially since you will constantly want nades on the stage

tl;dr use light toss nade first and react from there with 2nd generally, not saying its what you should always do though sometimes keeping nades around you is more important then putting them out beyond you

/random rant

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm having trouble with pikachu. I can beat falco s, diddy Kong s, and MK s
Not really a match up thread, but against Pikachu it's a matter of making the little rodent fear your grab game, while avoiding the potential for the chain grab from Pikachu. You also have to realize that Pikachu is a very combo oriented character, and so your first 100% may go incredibly quickly. Luckily, Pikachu has issues killing, since it means that he has to invariably approach you. Well, if you have the lead that is.

Avoid larger stages, use grenade countering to cause explosions to stop combos, utilize your tech chasing skills, and SDI out of multihit moves. Don't fear the thunder, and air dodge out of reaction, not prediction of it. Jab breaks QAC if I recall.

Falco is becoming a big pain for me. It's not the camping though but it's the CG. How can I deal with the CG?

-Ran

Smash Master
You have to make him more afraid of getting grabbed by you. If he misses a grab, you should be able to jab to grab him, or boost grab him. This should lend itself to a down throw to at the very least a forward tilt. That's 30% damage to him in an instant, while his chain grab lends itself to doing 40-60% damage if he opts do to a dacus.

Aside from that, if you make sure you're at a different elevation + having a grenade at your feet can go a long way from getting grabbed. But at the end of the day, it's all about making him look at the constant risk vs reward of grabbing you. If he whiffs a grab, that's his mistake. You need to punish it severely. Snake has the tools to do this, every time. Falco sees his chain grab as a free damage opportunity. It's something that he's going to go for every stock, and so you need to abuse his conditioning.

Let me put it this way. If Falco is trying to chain grab you, he's in Snake's most powerful zone. Nine times out of ten, he's right in front of you. Every move in the Snake playbook is open.

ZTD | TECHnology

I have alot of problems with rule 27

A good general strategy is to toss a nade out (not shield dropped) and watch for your opponents reaction while you're holding one soon after throwing, depending on it you can strip and toss your 2nd one in another spot to cover more area or throw that one in a specific spot, maybe just keep it around you if they're closing in. just things like that

Its important to have accurate timing when it comes to using your own nades, i've come to the point of being able to throw a nade and have it detonate on contact, from any kind of throw or know when its going to blow up to place a 2nd one. Its all very important to learn all these little things and improve them. Especially since you will constantly want nades on the stage

tl;dr use light toss nade first and react from there with 2nd generally, not saying its what you should always do though sometimes keeping nades around you is more important then putting them out beyond you

/random rant

I've recently started doing this :D

I realized that my initial grenade strategy from a neutral stance is pretty predictable. I can throw them and have this detonate on contact pretty well (works WONDERS in some MUs) though. But I've started light tossing them more, jumping and light tossing and just adding more variety while having good placement. Using grenades poorly is worse than not using them at all in my opinion.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
yeah, esp having a nade in your hand severely limits your options until you get rid of it.

And I think I'm suddenly in a slump lately, being lossing alot of matches on WIFI that I believe I can will if not **** offline. What is your advice on breaking out of a slump.

etecoon

Smash Hero
wifi (slumps) shouldn't be taken seriously, sometimes lag just ***** you lol

especially as snake, I really don't understand how people think snake is good in lag, I've gotten better ladder results from random mid tiers -_- pretty much any character with any kind of projectile outcamps snake online, tech chase gets weaker, his whole moveset is unidirectional so rolling being harder to punish is especially hard on him etc.

wifi (slumps) shouldn't be taken seriously, sometimes lag just ***** you lol

especially as snake, I really don't understand how people think snake is good in lag, I've gotten better ladder results from random mid tiers -_- pretty much any character with any kind of projectile outcamps snake online, tech chase gets weaker, his whole moveset is unidirectional so rolling being harder to punish is especially hard on him etc.
I agree with that. After not playing wifi for like a whole 6 months and then trying it again. I am finding I really dislike it. I just found out that with the buffering system, patience, and a predictable opponent, you cannot lose on wifi at all giving significant lag. I'm joining the wifail group.

Use wifi only to get used to the different kinds of stuff human players would do against you. Do not expect to ever punish them properly, but just use to spotting the situation and remember what you should do in the situation.

ZTD | TECHnology

Sometimes I just take a week long break and it helps. I noticed that sometimes I end up in a slump because I hit an information overload point and I'm trying to do too much stuff I'm not fluent with. So then I just take a break and let me brain process stuff.

Also I just play with other characters for fun until I'm not stressed anymore. Its how I got decent/good with a lot of characters lol

-Ran

Smash Master
And I think I'm suddenly in a slump lately, being lossing alot of matches on WIFI that I believe I can will if not **** offline. What is your advice on breaking out of a slump.
Examine the reasons that you were winning previously. A lot of times people perceive that they are in a slump, when in actuality the people that they have been playing with have simply caught up to them in skill. The root of this often comes from the bulk of your reads being based off luck, rather than prediction. So instead of relying on guessing, you have to work on your fundamentals and go from there.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i find if i play to regularly, i stop trying things that probably won't work. this makes me less unpredictable but safer, and ironic, i play worse. particularly i notice that i hide in shield A LOT if i'm playing too much. our oos options suck, but staying in there isn't going to help anybody... at which point i take a few days off and im good again :)

ZTD | TECHnology

I love the updates to this list. Especially the last two. I often forget that just because I know how to play against one good Metaknight doesnt mean that I know how to play against them all and then I get over confident and dont adapt. That's what screwed me this weekend.

napZzz

Smash Hero
some of these p0ints are kind of dumb now that I look back on it but the more recent ones are pretty good

Top Bottom