• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How to do the Infinite/Wobbling

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Stickied at last! Hopefully nobody's going to make any new threads.

Here's how the infinite works: when you are hit while in a grab, you become stunned and cannot leave the grab. You also cannot escape the grab while being attacked by the player grabbing you. Because the IC's are two people, this lets them take advantage of this fact. In short, with good timing, you have both Ice Climbers alternating hits so the opponent cannot leave the grab.

Here is the basic gist of it: grab the opponent with Popo, the main IC. Headbutt them (pressing A while in the grab) and then have Nana do a forward-tilt or down-tilt. Alternate the headbutts and the tilts evenly.

Here is a slightly more in-depth description on how to do it:

1) Grab.

2) Make sure Nana, your secondary IC, is close to you.

3) Hit A to have Popo headbutt; Nana will jab.

4) Gently slide the joystick either forward or down so that when you hit A next, Nana will tilt. Make sure she does the tilt before the headbutt ends.

5) As you continue sliding the joystick to its maximum, press A rhythmically. You want your attacks to be spaced apart as evenly as possible.

6) Keep pressing A with the joystick held in the direction you've chosen. You don't have to move the joystick any more after this. Just keep it held to do the tilt you've chosen.

7) When you are done, discard the opponent. I recommend waiting until Popo headbutts then hitting the c-stick down. Your down-smash will come out fastest and your opponent will have no forewarning that you're going to hit them; if there is anything to tech off of, they won't be able to. They also may DI poorly, but odds are you will continue hitting them until DI no longer matters.

An important note; you must wait for Nana's grab animation to end before headbutting with Popo and starting the infinite. If you don't, her tilts won't evenly alternate and you won't get an infinite.

There is another alternate way to set up the infinite, one that works reasonably well. However, I recommend not relying on it, as it takes a while to begin and the opponent can frequently escape before you begin the infinite portion. This is easier to do, but it also is not as fast as the method above. This was posted by Cyphus, although several people knew about it beforehand (but credit goes to him, since nobody else ever brought it up. Props, Cyphus).

1) After grabbing the opponent, hit A as you normally would.

2) Immediately after, hit down+b to have Nana blizzard. Keep holding down.

3) When the blizzard is about to end, hit A to have Popo headbutt. Then down-tilt with Nana, and repeatedly press A (with rhythm) to begin the infinite.

That's all for now. I will edit later and I will also be happy to answer questions about it; I would like it if other members of the community would chip in a bit though, so I don't have to do all the work myself. Thanks in advance.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
pshhhhhh all i see nowadays is how the infinite is the new "hot ****" on the IC block. **** that dawg, you may be mark wahlberg from NKOTB wobbles... but i'm that coked-up alchie dude from backstreet boys. aj or somethin. i rock nair combos, belay edgeguards, dual-squall WOPs, and nanapult suicide JV 4-stocks.

i'm hot like 99.5. yehhhh u cant touch this...

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Maybe I'll learn to do it. I still feel a little guilty using waveshine infinite vs. Link, I hope wobbling doesn't undermine my conscience.

B4tt1enet

Smash Cadet
=O is there some way of showing us what the rhythmic timing is for pressing A? I have the concept right i just mess up sometimes idk if im too slow or what. so maybe a video? im not sure... but i wanna know how fast to press A.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
The timing doesn't have to be extremely percise, just make sure it's accurate. Any where between (approx.) 144-160 bpm will do.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
some people just cant appreciate the simplistic eloquence of a great NKOTB reference. and if anyone read closely, you would have caught my mistake (yes, it was donnie wahlberg, not mark gg kthx).

kids these days...

and dont try to act like you're not jealous of that circa 1989 rolled-up jeans and "uncle jesse" vest look.

anyways, bravo wobbs. anyone can appreciate your great contributions as of late.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
So the infinite is called the wobbles? Just grab hit a and tilt your controler show nana down tilts and than press a rythimically. huh. I thought it had something to do with ledges. Well i'm going to master it thnx!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks alot man.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I must be crazy.

So you never actually do a throw until you're done? Somebody wanna show me a video of this? (or actually ill go find one somewhere)

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1sFSEBtCk

If anyone needs to see the infinite, there ya go.

Anyway, I think forward tilt is better tha down tilt because it leaves no frames to escape, whereas the down-tilt, even executed perfectly, leaves one frame free of stun, which is enough time to hit a button/ rotate the stick. Also, you have a lot more room for error with the f-tilt

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
^^wow great info numbers, never knew the stun difference between f-tilt and d-tilt.

can't believe i actually learned something new today on swf. bravo.

Edit: fed govt just closed so i'm off school AND work now... today is a good day.:chuckle:

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i never learned to time the infinite..i'm just **** fast at turbo-pressbuttons (121 presses in 10 seconds for mario party minigame ftw!...or 12x a second for u math-n00bs)
As long as i timed my first desynching hits perfectly...i can keep the infinite going for a good 100% simply because both iceclimbers are attacking at both their first opportunities (since i'm pressing it so fast) so they desynched for a long time(occasionally, slightly-slightly moving apart)

but i feel dumb doing it so brainlessly, so i've been experimenting w/ the d.throw-d.air-grab-blizzard-repeat infinite-esque combos lately and those are pretty fun.
I'll learn true "wobbles" tomorrow =)
much <3 wobbles!

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
=O is there some way of showing us what the rhythmic timing is for pressing A? I have the concept right i just mess up sometimes idk if im too slow or what. so maybe a video? im not sure... but i wanna know how fast to press A.
There's a video in which Wobbles 4-stocks a captain Falcon using the Infinite about twice on FoD. Or was it Wobbles? I dunno...

Click here for pwnage

Oh, woah, I just noticed that Wobbles the IC player is Wobbles The Phoenix! WOAZ!! Dude you are so awesome.

Anyways, on the video you can see Wobbles so the infinite a couple times on Falcon, so I just learnt off of that (The rate at which you attack)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Oh, and the other "infinite" that you guys might be thinking about is the ledge chaingrab. It isn't an infinite for most characters since if they DI away, you have to keep moving to grab them. Eventually you run out of level :( But it is pretty s3cksi, if I do say so myself.

Edit: An example of this at the end of this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNq-CM33DeI

I recommend you watch the whole thing though, it makes me look good ^_^

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I recently threw aside my restraints from wobbling. Don't have it down yet though, I think I'm doing it too fast. Hugs for the Phoenix.

Does anyone know the exact physics of it? Why they will get knocked out at some rates and not others?

Giggidax

Smash Ace
wow wobbles the pheonix that grab at the end was cool as a beast! i do something similar to that. but i dont really have it down good, i just do watever i feel is possible since im not really an IC player

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I recently threw aside my restraints from wobbling. Don't have it down yet though, I think I'm doing it too fast. Hugs for the Phoenix.

Does anyone know the exact physics of it? Why they will get knocked out at some rates and not others?
I dunno specifically, but I was messin around with it last night and was gettin really pissed cause my opponent would slip out.

Then i stopped and looked.

If you do forward and mistime your taps, your second IC will take a step before doing the tilt again. That's enough time for the game to automatically pop your opponent out on the next hit. (i dunno how well down works with this).

I dunno how concrete this is, but i noticed that ALWAYS happens to me if they POP out (as opposed to just having retardedly bad timing and they just get out on there own)

--Cyphus-- (or to whom it may concern)

The timing isnt specifically as fast as possible, although I've found that the more presses you can get in rhythm help.

Whenever I get my wobblin' goin right, im pressing a 4 times per hit (4 times per headbutt, then 4 times per tilt). All 8 of these taps are consistant, so it's not like you tap 4 real quick for the headbutt, pause, then again for the tilt. All in one motion.

. . . . dunno if that helps any, but that's what i do, and i've got it workin a lil bit.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Another thing I just noticed --maybe this just cause my timing is just inconsistant--

But I dont think you can wobble out of EVERY throw you do. What I mean by that is, if you do like, a running grab (or even a running JC'd grab, i think), you may not be able to get the right timing for the wobble.

which is why downthrow -> d.air -> grab is vital, to "reset" your secondary ic.

Just ignore me if im ranting about old stuff.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
You CAN do it out of any throw, the problem is that you need to wait until Nana is nearby and inactive to set up a decent timing for it. If she's sliding from a dash-grab, then you have to wait for her. This won't work if your opponent is good at wiggling out of grabs and they're at low percents, so you wind up having to rely on smaller grab combos (that lead into other grabs) before you can set up an infinite. This might be as traditional and effective as a d-throw d-air until they're at too high of a percent to wiggle out, or it might be something like d-throw f-air jab grab.

In short, yeah, you usually have to do other stuff before Nana is in place to infinite. Good thing the IC's have so much other random crap they can do, eh?

takieddine

Smash Master
First, i didnt know there was a method to it..all i did was tilt foward a bit and mash A...

secondly is there anyway to do this infinite with an uptilt? it comes out pretty fast...

Thirdly is there any possible way to DI? because I've tried DI and gotten out of it..but I'm not sure if the opponent messed up, or i DI'd.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
First, i didnt know there was a method to it..all i did was tilt foward a bit and mash A...

secondly is there anyway to do this infinite with an uptilt? it comes out pretty fast...

Thirdly is there any possible way to DI? because I've tried DI and gotten out of it..but I'm not sure if the opponent messed up, or i DI'd.
1) You can do it by holding forward and mashing A, but you have to mash it REALLY fast (comparable to doing a perfect tornado with Luigi/Doc) and it puts a lot of strain on your fingers.

2) Nope, you can't infinite with the Up-tilt. The timing doesn't match Popo's headbutts, and I'm pretty sure Nana always slides to the side of Popo where the Up-tilt won't hit them anymore.

3) You can't DI out of a grab, you can only DI once you've been thrown. You can only mash out of grabs.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
In short, yeah, you usually have to do other stuff before Nana is in place to infinite. Good thing the IC's have so much other random crap they can do, eh?
Aight, I get chya.

Personally, i just cant catch the timing if she has to slide back. I dunno what it is. If Nana ever has to slide, I have to reset them, or else i'll get them both hitting at the same time.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Nana stepping forward is a result, not a cause. If she's stepping forward then you aren't doing her F-tilt soon enough, thereby giving her time to take that step.

Dory..?

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys. I know this is covered elsewhere, but I've received several PM's from different people saying they can't find out how to do this. I'm going to be as clear as I possibly can, and I hope the thread gets stickied so it's at the top of the forum where it's easy to find.

Here's how the infinite works: when you are hit while in a grab, you become stunned and cannot leave the grab. You also cannot escape the grab while being attacked by the player grabbing you. Because the IC's are two people, this lets them take advantage of this fact. In short, with good timing, you have both Ice Climbers alternating hits so the opponent cannot leave the grab.

Here is the basic gist of it: grab the opponent with Popo, the main IC. Headbutt them (pressing A while in the grab) and then have Nana do a forward-tilt or down-tilt. Alternate the headbutts and the tilts evenly.

Here is a slightly more in-depth description on how to do it:

1) Grab.

2) Make sure Nana, your secondary IC, is close to you.

3) Hit A to have Popo headbutt; Nana will jab.

4) Gently slide the joystick either forward or down so that when you hit A next, Nana will tilt. Make sure she does the tilt before the headbutt ends.

5) As you continue sliding the joystick to its maximum, press A rhythmically. You want your attacks to be spaced apart as evenly as possible.

6) Keep pressing A with the joystick held in the direction you've chosen.

7) When you are done, discard the opponent. I recommend waiting until Popo headbutts then hitting the c-stick down. Your down-smash will come out fastest and your opponent will have no forewarning that you're going to hit them; if there is anything to tech off of, they won't be able to. They also may DI poorly, but odds are you will continue hitting them until DI no longer matters.

There is another alternate way to set up the infinite, one that works reasonably well. However, I recommend not relying on it, as it takes a while to begin and the opponent can frequently escape before you begin the infinite portion. This is easier to do, but it also is not as fast as the method above. This was posted by Cyphus, although several people knew about it beforehand (but credit goes to him, since nobody else ever brought it up. Props, Cyphus).

1) After grabbing the opponent, hit A as you normally would.

2) Immediately after, hit down+b to have Nana blizzard. Keep holding down.

3) When the blizzard is about to end, hit A to have Popo headbutt. Then down-tilt with Nana, and repeatedly press A (with rhythm) to begin the infinite.

That's all for now. I will edit later and I will also be happy to answer questions about it; I would like it if other members of the community would chip in a bit though, so I don't have to do all the work myself. Thanks in advance.
I LOVE YOU,enough said.......

chubchubo

Smash Rookie
Oooo ty :D
now i have 3 ways to wobble effectivly XD
i used to grab, dthrow, then dair hoping they have poor DI. regrab. since i dont lcancel it. i can hit with popo and by the time nana comes bak, i can start it :D hope this can help some1 XD

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Wobbles, when you do the infinite do you just perfectly time A for each hit (meaning you press A once for each attack) or do you just press it repeatedly at an even rate? (like that 4x thing somebody mentioned earlier)

Top Bottom