1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 225,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. Get the Smash Controller on sale this holiday for $26.99 on Amazon! Get the Smash GameCube Controller now!

4. Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash stuff and support the site, like a Nintendo Controller or the Wii U - Gamecube adaptor ! Check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

How to do the Infinite/Wobbling

Discussion in 'Ice Climbers' started by Wobbles, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Wobbles

Wobbles
    Expand Collapse
    Desert Eskimo

Stickied at last! Hopefully nobody's going to make any new threads.

Here's how the infinite works: when you are hit while in a grab, you become stunned and cannot leave the grab. You also cannot escape the grab while being attacked by the player grabbing you. Because the IC's are two people, this lets them take advantage of this fact. In short, with good timing, you have both Ice Climbers alternating hits so the opponent cannot leave the grab.

Here is the basic gist of it: grab the opponent with Popo, the main IC. Headbutt them (pressing A while in the grab) and then have Nana do a forward-tilt or down-tilt. Alternate the headbutts and the tilts evenly.

Here is a slightly more in-depth description on how to do it:

1) Grab.

2) Make sure Nana, your secondary IC, is close to you.

3) Hit A to have Popo headbutt; Nana will jab.

4) Gently slide the joystick either forward or down so that when you hit A next, Nana will tilt. Make sure she does the tilt before the headbutt ends.

5) As you continue sliding the joystick to its maximum, press A rhythmically. You want your attacks to be spaced apart as evenly as possible.

6) Keep pressing A with the joystick held in the direction you've chosen. You don't have to move the joystick any more after this. Just keep it held to do the tilt you've chosen.

7) When you are done, discard the opponent. I recommend waiting until Popo headbutts then hitting the c-stick down. Your down-smash will come out fastest and your opponent will have no forewarning that you're going to hit them; if there is anything to tech off of, they won't be able to. They also may DI poorly, but odds are you will continue hitting them until DI no longer matters.

An important note; you must wait for Nana's grab animation to end before headbutting with Popo and starting the infinite. If you don't, her tilts won't evenly alternate and you won't get an infinite.

There is another alternate way to set up the infinite, one that works reasonably well. However, I recommend not relying on it, as it takes a while to begin and the opponent can frequently escape before you begin the infinite portion. This is easier to do, but it also is not as fast as the method above. This was posted by Cyphus, although several people knew about it beforehand (but credit goes to him, since nobody else ever brought it up. Props, Cyphus).

1) After grabbing the opponent, hit A as you normally would.

2) Immediately after, hit down+b to have Nana blizzard. Keep holding down.

3) When the blizzard is about to end, hit A to have Popo headbutt. Then down-tilt with Nana, and repeatedly press A (with rhythm) to begin the infinite.

That's all for now. I will edit later and I will also be happy to answer questions about it; I would like it if other members of the community would chip in a bit though, so I don't have to do all the work myself. Thanks in advance.

2. Lier

Lier
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

yay, for the wobbling!

CaptainBlund likes this.
  3. ximrekcuf

ximrekcuf
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

wobbles your awesome. you inspire me to break gamecube controllers in frustration.

Sideslick and Aliami Armador like this.
  4. Buddha

Buddha
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

pshhhhhh all i see nowadays is how the infinite is the new "hot ****" on the IC block. **** that dawg, you may be mark wahlberg from NKOTB wobbles... but i'm that coked-up alchie dude from backstreet boys. aj or somethin. i rock nair combos, belay edgeguards, dual-squall WOPs, and nanapult suicide JV 4-stocks.

i'm hot like 99.5. yehhhh u cant touch this...

JWaltz and T Brett like this.
  5. Wobbles

Wobbles
    Expand Collapse
    Desert Eskimo

Riiiiiiiggghhhhttt.....

I too rock nair combos. Do you doubt me?

6. Zink

Zink
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

Buddha, please. Wobbles is so good he does shine to knee combos with ICs.

IPIQ and LobotomyPop :^) like this.
  7. Zeee

Zeee
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

:O Wobbles makes my pants go "Hostess".

8. Wilhelmsan

Wilhelmsan
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Maybe I'll learn to do it. I still feel a little guilty using waveshine infinite vs. Link, I hope wobbling doesn't undermine my conscience.

9. B4tt1enet

B4tt1enet
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

=O is there some way of showing us what the rhythmic timing is for pressing A? I have the concept right i just mess up sometimes idk if im too slow or what. so maybe a video? im not sure... but i wanna know how fast to press A.

10. AzN_Lep

AzN_Lep
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

The timing doesn't have to be extremely percise, just make sure it's accurate. Any where between (approx.) 144-160 bpm will do.

11. DynamicDuo

DynamicDuo
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

finally!!! i can master the infinite!!!

12. Buddha

Buddha
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

some people just cant appreciate the simplistic eloquence of a great NKOTB reference. and if anyone read closely, you would have caught my mistake (yes, it was donnie wahlberg, not mark gg kthx).

kids these days...

and dont try to act like you're not jealous of that circa 1989 rolled-up jeans and "uncle jesse" vest look.
    [​IMG]

anyways, bravo wobbs. anyone can appreciate your great contributions as of late.

13. Dogysamich

Dogysamich
    Expand Collapse
    The Designated Hype Man!

rofl. Just rofl, and nothing but the rofl.

14. kamikaze falco

kamikaze falco
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

So the infinite is called the wobbles? Just grab hit a and tilt your controler show nana down tilts and than press a rythimically. huh. I thought it had something to do with ledges. Well i'm going to master it thnx!

15. Hylian

Hylian
    Expand Collapse
    Angels with severed wings shouldn't know suffering

• Administrator
    • Premium
    • Back Roomer

Thanks alot man.

16. Dogysamich

Dogysamich
    Expand Collapse
    The Designated Hype Man!

I must be crazy.

So you never actually do a throw until you're done? Somebody wanna show me a video of this? (or actually ill go find one somewhere)

17. 1048576

Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1sFSEBtCk

If anyone needs to see the infinite, there ya go.

Anyway, I think forward tilt is better tha down tilt because it leaves no frames to escape, whereas the down-tilt, even executed perfectly, leaves one frame free of stun, which is enough time to hit a button/ rotate the stick. Also, you have a lot more room for error with the f-tilt

18. Buddha

Buddha
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

^^wow great info numbers, never knew the stun difference between f-tilt and d-tilt.

can't believe i actually learned something new today on swf. bravo.

Edit: fed govt just closed so i'm off school AND work now... today is a good day.:chuckle:

19. DynamicDuo

DynamicDuo
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

i seen this vid before its ok but bad quality.

20. Cyphus

Cyphus
    Expand Collapse
    BRoomer

i never learned to time the infinite..i'm just **** fast at turbo-pressbuttons (121 presses in 10 seconds for mario party minigame ftw!...or 12x a second for u math-n00bs)
    As long as i timed my first desynching hits perfectly...i can keep the infinite going for a good 100% simply because both iceclimbers are attacking at both their first opportunities (since i'm pressing it so fast) so they desynched for a long time(occasionally, slightly-slightly moving apart)

but i feel dumb doing it so brainlessly, so i've been experimenting w/ the d.throw-d.air-grab-blizzard-repeat infinite-esque combos lately and those are pretty fun.
    I'll learn true "wobbles" tomorrow =)
    much <3 wobbles!

21. x4FoSho4x

x4FoSho4x
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
    Now i have more wobbling ic's to face.....,....sigh thanks wobbles!!!!. lol. Na but its good info. even though i dont main ic i still enjoyed learning it.

22. Baamage

Baamage
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

There's a video in which Wobbles 4-stocks a captain Falcon using the Infinite about twice on FoD. Or was it Wobbles? I dunno...

Click here for pwnage

Oh, woah, I just noticed that Wobbles the IC player is Wobbles The Phoenix! WOAZ!! Dude you are so awesome.

Anyways, on the video you can see Wobbles so the infinite a couple times on Falcon, so I just learnt off of that (The rate at which you attack)

23. Wobbles

Wobbles
    Expand Collapse
    Desert Eskimo

Oh, and the other "infinite" that you guys might be thinking about is the ledge chaingrab. It isn't an infinite for most characters since if they DI away, you have to keep moving to grab them. Eventually you run out of level :( But it is pretty s3cksi, if I do say so myself.

Edit: An example of this at the end of this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNq-CM33DeI

I recommend you watch the whole thing though, it makes me look good ^_^

24. Delphiki

Delphiki
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

I recently threw aside my restraints from wobbling. Don't have it down yet though, I think I'm doing it too fast. Hugs for the Phoenix.

Does anyone know the exact physics of it? Why they will get knocked out at some rates and not others?

25. Giggidax

Giggidax
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

wow wobbles the pheonix that grab at the end was cool as a beast! i do something similar to that. but i dont really have it down good, i just do watever i feel is possible since im not really an IC player

26. Dogysamich

Dogysamich
    Expand Collapse
    The Designated Hype Man!

I dunno specifically, but I was messin around with it last night and was gettin really pissed cause my opponent would slip out.

Then i stopped and looked.

If you do forward and mistime your taps, your second IC will take a step before doing the tilt again. That's enough time for the game to automatically pop your opponent out on the next hit. (i dunno how well down works with this).

I dunno how concrete this is, but i noticed that ALWAYS happens to me if they POP out (as opposed to just having retardedly bad timing and they just get out on there own)

--Cyphus-- (or to whom it may concern)

The timing isnt specifically as fast as possible, although I've found that the more presses you can get in rhythm help.

Whenever I get my wobblin' goin right, im pressing a 4 times per hit (4 times per headbutt, then 4 times per tilt). All 8 of these taps are consistant, so it's not like you tap 4 real quick for the headbutt, pause, then again for the tilt. All in one motion.

. . . . dunno if that helps any, but that's what i do, and i've got it workin a lil bit.

27. Delphiki

Delphiki
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

Hmmm... never thought about hitting the button repeatedly. I think I'll try that.

28. Dogysamich

Dogysamich
    Expand Collapse
    The Designated Hype Man!

Another thing I just noticed --maybe this just cause my timing is just inconsistant--

But I dont think you can wobble out of EVERY throw you do. What I mean by that is, if you do like, a running grab (or even a running JC'd grab, i think), you may not be able to get the right timing for the wobble.

which is why downthrow -> d.air -> grab is vital, to "reset" your secondary ic.

Just ignore me if im ranting about old stuff.

29. Wobbles

Wobbles
    Expand Collapse
    Desert Eskimo

You CAN do it out of any throw, the problem is that you need to wait until Nana is nearby and inactive to set up a decent timing for it. If she's sliding from a dash-grab, then you have to wait for her. This won't work if your opponent is good at wiggling out of grabs and they're at low percents, so you wind up having to rely on smaller grab combos (that lead into other grabs) before you can set up an infinite. This might be as traditional and effective as a d-throw d-air until they're at too high of a percent to wiggle out, or it might be something like d-throw f-air jab grab.

In short, yeah, you usually have to do other stuff before Nana is in place to infinite. Good thing the IC's have so much other random crap they can do, eh?

30. takieddine

takieddine
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

First, i didnt know there was a method to it..all i did was tilt foward a bit and mash A...

secondly is there anyway to do this infinite with an uptilt? it comes out pretty fast...

Thirdly is there any possible way to DI? because I've tried DI and gotten out of it..but I'm not sure if the opponent messed up, or i DI'd.

31. Lixivium

Lixivium
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

1) You can do it by holding forward and mashing A, but you have to mash it REALLY fast (comparable to doing a perfect tornado with Luigi/Doc) and it puts a lot of strain on your fingers.

2) Nope, you can't infinite with the Up-tilt. The timing doesn't match Popo's headbutts, and I'm pretty sure Nana always slides to the side of Popo where the Up-tilt won't hit them anymore.

3) You can't DI out of a grab, you can only DI once you've been thrown. You can only mash out of grabs.

32. Dogysamich

Dogysamich
    Expand Collapse
    The Designated Hype Man!

Aight, I get chya.

Personally, i just cant catch the timing if she has to slide back. I dunno what it is. If Nana ever has to slide, I have to reset them, or else i'll get them both hitting at the same time.

33. Delphiki

Delphiki
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

Nana stepping forward is a result, not a cause. If she's stepping forward then you aren't doing her F-tilt soon enough, thereby giving her time to take that step.

34. Dory..?

Dory..?
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

I LOVE YOU,enough said.......

35. pockyD

pockyD
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Legend

don't be that guy corey!

36. takieddine

takieddine
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

thanks wobbles, now we've got another wobbler in the world to worry about :p

37. ecstatic

ecstatic
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
    Awesome topic.

38. chubchubo

chubchubo
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

Oooo ty :D
    now i have 3 ways to wobble effectivly XD
    i used to grab, dthrow, then dair hoping they have poor DI. regrab. since i dont lcancel it. i can hit with popo and by the time nana comes bak, i can start it :D hope this can help some1 XD

39. Nintendude

Nintendude
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Hero

Wobbles, when you do the infinite do you just perfectly time A for each hit (meaning you press A once for each attack) or do you just press it repeatedly at an even rate? (like that 4x thing somebody mentioned earlier)

40. Wobbles

Wobbles
    Expand Collapse
    Desert Eskimo

I time it.