• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to convert SSBB replays from .bin to another format

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
REPLAYS ARE NOT VIDEO FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All they are is instruction for the game to "RE-CREATE" the match in real time. It is not a video file in any shape or form.

So there is NO WAY TO CONVERT IT.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Saw your post in the latest thread and it just summed things up so nicely.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
perhaps later when there is a working Wii emulator some1 cud recode Brawl just for running replays (make the file size smaller and the game less buggy). The emulator/replay runner could then record the match and save the video to .avi or w/e.. Something like that cud work?

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
perhaps later when there is a working Wii emulator some1 cud recode Brawl just for running replays (make the file size smaller and the game less buggy). The emulator/replay runner could then record the match and save the video to .avi or w/e.. Something like that cud work?
Not to sound stubborn, but I seriously doubt it. No one would bother to do so, anyway.

Seriously, there's no point. The replay consists of the stage code, the chracters codes, whether characters are player 1, 2, 3, 4 or CPU, items, random outcomes and the series of button inputs for each character. Unlike the snapshots, (which are image files), replays are not video files.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
The title for this thread is so misleading, you should just rename it ".bin Replays CANNOT be Converted to other Formats" or something to that extent

Qaomen

Smash Cadet
A friend of mine said that there was a way to get information about the match (which characters were in the match, which stage etc.) from a .bin file somehow.
He never plays Brawl and I couldn't find anything about it on google... So there doesn't exist anything like that, right? (Just want to be sure)

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
You can READ the data on the .bin file, but you can forget about converting it to any sort of video file, because the original file wasn't one. You can buy equipment to record the video directly onto the computer, or even things that burn the equipment onto a disc and then extracting that file onto the computer, which can then be uploaded to youtube as is. However, if you need to edit the file, I suggest getting this flv converter and convert the recorded video file to another format suitable for editing. It works for just about everything, except files that aren't video files.

Qaomen

Smash Cadet
I know the .bin file isn't a video file, but the file does have information to 'reconstruct' the match, so that's why I thought it was possible to get some of the information about the match settings (NOT the actual match. Just which characters/stage/level of CPUs etc.) from it.
Oh well, I guess such program doesn't exist (yet?), so thanks anyway. ;)

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
So what's the point of having a USB drive in the back of the wii? Can you save from USB drives?

IKOU

Smash Apprentice
So what's the point of having a USB drive in the back of the wii? Can you save from USB drives?
the USB drive in the back is for misc. stuff like keyboards to make typing easier.

All they are is instruction for the game to "RE-CREATE" the match in real time. It is not a video file in any shape or form.
this is why when you watch a non-hacked replay with hacks (or vice-versa), the replay gets screwed up.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This thread was so helpful. :)
(nosrsly, too much begging for help around here.)

Why not just do what we did with the Stage Builder? Surely since you can put a video .bin onto an SD, it would be easy to just host it somewhere so people can just put on their own SDs and watch it on their own Wii?

Or am I late to the party without a paddle? ....or something.

ShenCS

Smash Cadet
If you were to burn Brawl or something onto the computer, would it be able to run the replays saved as .bin?

person701

Smash Journeyman
*facepalm & sigh* .bin files are information files, not video files which are files that have their data saved directly. A .bin file has parts of data that are needed as the other parts are used in conjunction with the proper eqipment. easier example:

Viedo File: As you look at your front door from the inside of the house, you can unlock it (access the data), giving you access to everything you need right there. No extra stuff needed.

.bin: Looking at the door from the outside being locked, you need a key. The door has the code that "plays" your action while the key gives the data to play the action.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Saving Brawls replays to the computer in video format: not directly. You'd still have to have another recording software to get the replay.

Honestly, why isn't this locked (not requesting, asking why). We've said the main point enough time here.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have a capture card and would be willing to help me and accept my replays so that I can make a ice climbers chain grab compilation video? I already have the replays, but I don't have a way to get them on to the computer.

Zakx

Smash Rookie
Hi, i'm trying to do this with a emulator, dolphin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEwDsssA94

I can play SSBB in HD, but the problem is... i didn't find the way to play a .bin with this emulator :S.

The emulator when recorded a replay not create a .bin :S, i can't find the file created by the emulator, >.<, i thing it write all the information in a one file.

The saves of wii need convert in other format to load with the emulator, but,
the conversion program is not suitable for the replays :S

Any idea? D:

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
You can buy equipment to record the video directly onto the computer, or even things that burn the equipment onto a disc and then extracting that file onto the computer, which can then be uploaded to youtube as is.
What equipment are you talking about, exactly. That caught my attention.

Shadowkid

Smash Rookie
****. So there's no way I can make a Machinima? How does Shippedge do it?!

EDIT: What are these, "Capture Cards" I keep hearing about?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Can't be a bump if it's Stickied and the one in Top of the thread.
You still shouldn't add info that isn't relevant to the thread, and especially considering that there is a thread talking about Easy Caps in the exact same thread that is less than a week old, then yeah, you unnecessarily bumped the thread.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Hello. I don't know much about computers and all that, but I don't understand something.

...Can't someone just create an emulator on a PC and then make a converter out of it? You know, to play the match using the bin file and record the match, creating a file?

Isn't that kinda...simple, yet no one's done it? Or am I missing something?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Hello. I don't know much about computers and all that, but I don't understand something.

...Can't someone just create an emulator on a PC and then make a converter out of it? You know, to play the match using the bin file and record the match, creating a file?

Isn't that kinda...simple, yet no one's done it? Or am I missing something?
You're missing the fact that talking about emulators is a little less than legal, which is something the brass don't want us to do...

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
You're missing the fact that talking about emulators is a little less than legal, which is something the brass don't want us to do...
So this is about us getting caught talking about actually creating one? If that's the case, I don't see why one hasn't been made on the side, or under the table. And not just by us, but by any community with similar goals.

Oh well. I'mma go buy a recorder then. >_>

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
... :mad: (<<< you know what i mean, and i'm to lazy to fix it), come over here..

WE GOTSA COOKIES!!!! :D

Zorua101

Smash Rookie
If you can't convert the replays to video files, then how do you explain all those videos on youtube that involve Brawl replays?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
If you can't convert the replays to video files, then how do you explain all those videos on youtube that involve Brawl replays?
Use of recording devices like Dazzles or Gamebridges. They let you play the replay on your Wii while simultaneously creating a video file off of what appears on the screen.

Sheik16

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rapture3
I mean they already learned how to convert the snapshots give it sometime I think someone will one day figure it out

Top Bottom