• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat good meta knights

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
I have been playing as MK for a while now and this is how I lose/die. I want people to know how to beat me or MK’s in general so that I can adapt to this and I can get better myself.

Beating the tornado

This is crucial in beating good MKs. Most characters have some move(s) that penetrate(s) the tornado, and those moves are listed here. Thanks Rhyfelwyr!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161939&highlight=list+moves+beat+tornado

Some characters lack a move to use against the tornado, or just find it too hard to pull off, and for these characters, I recommend that you either roll away, or simply shield all the way through it. However, shielding all the way through tornado is very difficult if you do not understand these 2 notes.

• A decayed (small) shield is unlikely to shield all the way through.
The shield can easily be penetrated by tornado if it has already taken a beating.

• Moving your shield up greatly prevents the the tornado from pentrating the shield
This is important because MK’s tornado stays above your character when MK is trying to penetrate your shield with tornado. Moving your shield up protects your character from above, and so even a tiny shield will save you from the tornado penetrating your shield.

Rolling away can be a pretty good option because you can punish if u keep very alert while doing this. 1 successful roll is usually enough to make meta knights tornado harmless. If meta knight continues pursuit on you then shield, because the tornado is not long enough anymore to penetrate the shield. IF MK directs his tornado away from you then chase after him, because he is soon going to drop out of it, and thats your chance to punish.

Punishing

This is very difficult. MK doesn’t have enough lag on his moves. Usually if an MK sees you approaching after MK exits a tornado, he will spot dodge, and counter with a d smash. Most characters lose in the ‘spot dodge and punish’ wars with MK, because MK’s d smash has little lag, so that if you avoid it, he can just spot dodge again, and d smash again, and repeat endlessly. Most MKs take advantage of this, and so most MKs are spot dodgers. In order to beat this tactic I suggest you predict the spot dodge, and punish MK in the ending frames of the dodge. The best way to do this is to be unpredictable, in that in a close quarters fight with MK, go ahead and use a smash with a long start-up such as dedede’s f smash/dash attack, Snake’s f smash, and so on. If your character doesn’t have an attack that has a long start-up time, then simply charge a smash attack while MK is dodging. Another option is to do consecutive attacks, such as quick jabs that last longer than the duration of the spot dodge, so that the last jabs land on MK. moves like lucas's d smash, and G&W's f smash work pretty well against spot doging because these move last longer than the dodge. basically, just make sure u NEVER PUNISH WITH A GRAB. grabs almost never connect in the punishing situation and you end up getting punished yourself so its not worth it at all.

Shuttle Loop

Let's see what can beat this? This is possibly more troublesome than tornado, because it has less counters and is harder to punish. Some of the counters i can think of are kirby's f smash, Toon link dair, and G&W's dair (if aimed correctly), and apparently lucas's dair (if timed correctly). Shuttle loop is almost always followed up by a glide attack, and then a d smash. Unless you are a character with a quick long grab like dedede's, I suggest that you dont shield grab the glide attack, because you will get caught in the upcoming dsmash. And so, the only option your left to do is challenge the glide with an f smash, which is hard to time, shield through the shuttle loop, glide attack, AND d smash and then shield grab if you have a long grab, or just run away lol. once again, its hard to punish. If an MK is spamming this on you then try your best to get underneath the glide, because thats where hes vulnerable. MK i unable to glide attack immediately when he enters glide, so u have about 1 second (maybe less) to get up in his face in the air before the glide attack comes out. but underneath the glide, you are safe

Conclusion

I hope this helps anyone with MK troubles and this info is based off of problems results I've encountered at tourneys mostly, so it's probably reliable. Please beat my MK! FC: 5026-4149-9614. AIM: petey did it

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
its more info on MKs than actually beating them, actually countering all this is pretty different for each character, so use this info to find your own counter. I still tried to help out with the options that most characters have.

subzerosmokerain

Smash Rookie
Hmm.... as for the Tornado, an easy way to get rid of them is to get next to the edge of the arena and make them suicuide themselves, since they can't back up from that, I know, that's my main cause of death.

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
why make this if your a MK main. so others beat you?
yes. so others beat me, I adapt, and then I get better myself. I beat people with the same tricks every time, and when i finally face people that can stop them, i havnt encountered these people enough, and so i dont know how to adapt. This thread helps others, this thread helps me, it helps everyone (at least i tried to make it that way).

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
dont further the theory that all mk players r 8 y.o's that only know how to hit 3 or 4 buttons but thats all they need to kno to beat people in ssbb and etc by crying about some1 helping himself by helping others

though tbh the only way to beat an mk is to completely outplay him
or play me, in which just lemme run in2 ur smashes ><

Petey's good, had a few rounds with him on Wifi awhile back with my Link, not a great match up for Link to begin with, but he still ***** me.

Also, the "***" taunt is a little unnecessary =P

Anyway, I lurk in these boards looking for threads just like this one to help me figure out the weaknesses of this character, who to me seems a touch out of balance :p

thanks Petey.

-DemowiI-

Smash Rookie
im pretty unpredictble with ike, hopefully that and some hard hits should do it (*hoping*)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
MK's Up B gets ***** by Lucas's Dair. If you just predict when it's going to happen Lucas will ALWAYS outprioritize it and hit him down. Can't you just smash DI out of the tornado or am I missing something? MK's (or anyone's for that matter) spotdodge gets ***** by Lucas's Dsmash. I'm looking for more ways to handle MK with Lucas if anyone has any ideas.

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
Petey's good, had a few rounds with him on Wifi awhile back with my Link, not a great match up for Link to begin with, but he still ***** me.

Anyway, I lurk in these boards looking for threads just like this one to help me figure out the weaknesses of this character, who to me seems a touch out of balance :p

thanks Petey.
i changed that taunt, lol. it wasnt even that funny

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
snake has the upper hand vs MK. up tilt kills MK at 92%. c4 at like 75%. MK's only approach is like....nado and drill rush (dont drill rush :p), cuz if MK approaches on the ground, then he'll usually get caught in some spammed f tilt, u tilt. nado is gonna save you in this fight, but a good snake can keep u out of it with good frag techniques/placement. nado and the occasionally d throw is the only way to punish snake cuz shielding his tilts leaves you out of range to d smash or f tilt. i dont get much snake practice but this is wut ive found. but lets not get any further into this :).

petey_did_it

Smash Ace
dont further the theory that all mk players r 8 y.o's that only know how to hit 3 or 4 buttons but thats all they need to kno to beat people in ssbb and etc by crying about some1 helping himself by helping others

though tbh the only way to beat an mk is to completely outplay him
or play me, in which just lemme run in2 ur smashes ><
hmm to completely outplay him huh? well thanks for the info. ur really helping this thread.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
Huh...I always thought there was no way to outprioritize Meta-Knight's tornado. I usually just run like a sissy or block it. This is very useful information, thank you.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman

thanks Petey.
Please get out of the gutter and understand that he's saying "come!", as if to threaten, or ironically, taunt his opponent. The innuendo crap is usually tolerable (whorenado, the old (now banned) *cough* name for Ghosting), but seriously, think before making that kind of assumption.

To the OP: Even if it is somewhat counterproductive information, it's nice to see that there are holes in MK's "brokeness" especially now with all the 'ban MK" threads in the forums. So, kudos to making this info easily accessible.

Edit: Ah ****, think I read that in the wrong context >_> If that is the case, my apologies, since there wasn't any reason for the response.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
If you wanna win consistantly, you gotta have a better MK than they do. Other wise, no matter what the difference in skill is, you WON't win on a consistant bases. You're gonna have to at least 2nd MetaKnight if you wanna do well. MK is the only character that can garuntee an even match up with MK. That's how you beat MK -- MK ditto and let the better play win.

Other characters are a waste of time against him.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Snake and MK are relatively an even matchup.
I think MK has a slight advantage now. The character matchup thread says so.

The thing is that you just cant go in and fight all offense like you can with everyone else. Yoshi and Diddy are tougher to fight than Snake IMO.

Shahrukh9000

Smash Rookie
I have been playing as MK for a while now and this is how I lose/die. I want people to know how to beat me or MK’s in general so that I can adapt to this and I can get better myself.

Beating the tornado

This is crucial in beating good MKs. Most characters have some move(s) that penetrate(s) the tornado, and those moves are listed here. Thanks Rhyfelwyr!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161939&highlight=list+moves+beat+tornado

Some characters lack a move to use against the tornado, or just find it too hard to pull off, and for these characters, I recommend that you either roll away, or simply shield all the way through it. However, shielding all the way through tornado is very difficult if you do not understand these 2 notes.

• A decayed (small) shield is unlikely to shield all the way through.
The shield can easily be penetrated by tornado if it has already taken a beating.

• Moving your shield up greatly prevents the the tornado from pentrating the shield
This is important because MK’s tornado stays above your character when MK is trying to penetrate your shield with tornado. Moving your shield up protects your character from above, and so even a tiny shield will save you from the tornado penetrating your shield.

Rolling away can be a pretty good option because you can punish if u keep very alert while doing this. 1 successful roll is usually enough to make meta knights tornado harmless. If meta knight continues pursuit on you then shield, because the tornado is not long enough anymore to penetrate the shield. IF MK directs his tornado away from you then chase after him, because he is soon going to drop out of it, and thats your chance to punish.

Punishing

This is very difficult. MK doesn’t have enough lag on his moves. Usually if an MK sees you approaching after MK exits a tornado, he will spot dodge, and counter with a d smash. Most characters lose in the ‘spot dodge and punish’ wars with MK, because MK’s d smash has little lag, so that if you avoid it, he can just spot dodge again, and d smash again, and repeat endlessly. Most MKs take advantage of this, and so most MKs are spot dodgers. In order to beat this tactic I suggest you predict the spot dodge, and punish MK in the ending frames of the dodge. The best way to do this is to be unpredictable, in that in a close quarters fight with MK, go ahead and use a smash with a long start-up such as dedede’s f smash/dash attack, Snake’s f smash, and so on. If your character doesn’t have an attack that has a long start-up time, then simply charge a smash attack while MK is dodging. Another option is to do consecutive attacks, such as quick jabs that last longer than the duration of the spot dodge, so that the last jabs land on MK. moves like lucas's d smash, and G&W's f smash work pretty well against spot doging because these move last longer than the dodge. basically, just make sure u NEVER PUNISH WITH A GRAB. grabs almost never connect in the punishing situation and you end up getting punished yourself so its not worth it at all.

Shuttle Loop

Let's see what can beat this? This is possibly more troublesome than tornado, because it has less counters and is harder to punish. Some of the counters i can think of are kirby's f smash, Toon link dair, and G&W's dair (if aimed correctly), and apparently lucas's dair (if timed correctly). Shuttle loop is almost always followed up by a glide attack, and then a d smash. Unless you are a character with a quick long grab like dedede's, I suggest that you dont shield grab the glide attack, because you will get caught in the upcoming dsmash. And so, the only option your left to do is challenge the glide with an f smash, which is hard to time, shield through the shuttle loop, glide attack, AND d smash and then shield grab if you have a long grab, or just run away lol. once again, its hard to punish. If an MK is spamming this on you then try your best to get underneath the glide, because thats where hes vulnerable. MK i unable to glide attack immediately when he enters glide, so u have about 1 second (maybe less) to get up in his face in the air before the glide attack comes out. but underneath the glide, you are safe

Conclusion

I hope this helps anyone with MK troubles and this info is based off of problems results I've encountered at tourneys mostly, so it's probably reliable. Please beat my MK! FC: 5026-4149-9614. AIM: petey did it
i'm a metaknight user too my man, my fc is 2836-1564-4359

Ulevo

Smash Master
I think MK has a slight advantage now. The character matchup thread says so.

The thing is that you just cant go in and fight all offense like you can with everyone else. Yoshi and Diddy are tougher to fight than Snake IMO.
The character match up thread is ********.

Snake has the advantage. Diddy might go even. Yoshi, however, does not.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
The character match up thread is ********.

Snake has the advantage. Diddy might go even. Yoshi, however, does not.
I agree.

That thread is off :/ It is just someone trying to say, MK IS TOO BROKED.

Master Raven

Smash Master
If you wanna win consistantly, you gotta have a better MK than they do. Other wise, no matter what the difference in skill is, you WON't win on a consistant bases. You're gonna have to at least 2nd MetaKnight if you wanna do well. MK is the only character that can garuntee an even match up with MK. That's how you beat MK -- MK ditto and let the better play win.

Other characters are a waste of time against him.
Explain how I'm able to beat a lot of MKs with DK/DDD/Falco/Ike then.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
MK's Up B gets ***** by Lucas's Dair. If you just predict when it's going to happen Lucas will ALWAYS outprioritize it and hit him down. Can't you just smash DI out of the tornado or am I missing something? MK's (or anyone's for that matter) spotdodge gets ***** by Lucas's Dsmash. I'm looking for more ways to handle MK with Lucas if anyone has any ideas.
ok, when I fight a MK as Lucas, I generally try to avoid approaching. Lucas's spacing game can make it difficult for a MK to approach. You can PK fire him out of the Tornado. When he approaches with a SH fair, its generally pretty easy to see coming so I PK wavedash backwards out of range and follow it up with a SH dair. When MKI approaches with a glide, run. You cannot outprioritize it with anything. Uhm, smash DI'ing out of a tornado isn't terribly hard as Lucas because his weight and size generally causes him to be at the edges of the tornado adn not in the middle. Yes, dsmash does in fact **** spotdodges, but be careful of the startup lag if you're trying to use it to punish a rolling Meta. He'll generally ftilt you.

I haven't really found a way to handle MKs off the stage when they're recovering. DOn't PK thunder them, they have too many recovery options and will punish you for it. don't go for a bair spike, you'll get punished cos it comes out too slow to combat MK's fair. I just try to put myself in a position where i won't be hit by any of Mk's ledge tricks. If you are recovering and are below the stage, go for a zap jump. Metas will gimp your PKT2 recovery.

Please listen to at least some of my advice, i'm not as noob as my post count indicates

Tenki

Smash Hero
Explain how I'm able to beat a lot of MKs with DK/DDD/Falco/Ike then.
Because you DO have a better MK and know what to take advantage of, silly :laugh:

Also, I didn't read this thread, but the way I usually 'counter' shuttle loop is to attack MK after he does shuttle loop, since like...

well...

all of Sonic's aerial moves outprioritize or neutralize MK's glide attack, lol.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Wow, sonic's got some nice aerials. I think only yoshi's Bair outprioritizes glide attack, then again I haven't tried anything else because Bair's good enough.

But as for beating MK...hit him as much as he hits you (or hit him more if you want) then you should win easy. That's all there is too it.:chuckle: Or you can edgeguard him, I've done it like once out of the many stocks vs MK.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Definitely, matchup threads are always going to seem incorrect to some people as there may not be a terrific player of a certain character so you will win and as such, think that said match up is a different ratio as some others will say.

edit*didnt realize the age until after post, found it through the directory and i knew i was gonna get that XD

Top Bottom