• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to 100% sure way to boost smash with falco

ADHD

Smash Hero
Set L to attack.

Run, AT THE VERY EXACT SAME TIME press L and C-stick DOWN.

Since the L button has literally distance before you can get the button to perform its action, the C-stick and the L button pressed at the exact same moment is the game's set timing to boost smash.

Sorry if I didn't explain this clearly just ask questions if you have any.

clowsui

Smash Legend
The timing for a boost smash is a lot easier than a gatling combo o_o
Just press c-stick down and almost instantaneously hit up+z. You don't even have to change button settings to get it. This is like 100% for me XD

J4pu

Smash Champion
Just learn it with Z and Up, it really isn't that hard. Besides you may learn later on that you can use L or R as another button for something you couldn't otherwise do, and then you'd have to either ignore the new find or reteach yourself the boost smash. I currently have R set to special so that you can jump and immediately phantasm to get the lagless effect.

ADHD

Smash Hero
R or L it does not make a difference.

I've heard blue controllers have loose springs or something, so it might not work for them?

Either way, this only works for falco's, but it is 100% of the time unless you dont press the buttons exactly at the same time.

Setting to Z requires proper timing, this is the easier way.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, i'm fine with Z + Up. It's pretty easy to nail already, why waste a button to make it easier? Though I did try it with L to see the difference and I felt my boost smash went slightly farther.

I guess the one thing I never learned with Z + Up is how to effectively vary the length. Is it merely perfect timing, or hitting the buttons as quick as possible, or delaying the timing as long as possible, that makes Falco slide the longest length?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
dash > c-stick down > up+z

This is like wavedashing to me, now. It's not that hard to time properly. It's like changing your shield button for wavedashing so you can airdodge easier. I personally don't need to.

wangston

Smash Lord
Yeah my L is set to attack and this is how I do the boost up smash. Everytime I try with z+up I alway end up grabbing maybe i'm doing it wrong.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I just use C-stick down---> Upsmash with A >_>. I can do it 100%.

And the dash-->upsmash combo is even easier >_>.

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
How exactly does this work? Aren't you just pushing attack instead of an up smash? I don't doubt that this works, I'm just wondering how the game puts in an up smash with only the attack button.

ADHD

Smash Hero
How exactly does this work? Aren't you just pushing attack instead of an up smash? I don't doubt that this works, I'm just wondering how the game puts in an up smash with only the attack button.
C-stick down initiates a dash attack, while the up L is a Usmash.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I set L to attack a while ago since I always used R for shield and it helped me out a lot. My problem is I can't help but charge the boost smash all the way without releasing it. Bad habit I guess.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
why do you do it the hardest way? I mean you press both down Cstick and A with your right thumb, whereas Z is your index finger
It isn't hard at all for me lol. I don't know if you have ever seen me play melee >_>.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Everyone who is using Z. Switch L or R to attack. I have been mentioning this for forever now. You slide further and start it off a lot faster. If you're doing it with Z you might as well just not do the dash attack at all.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
I just use C-stick down---> Upsmash with A >_>. I can do it 100%.

And the dash-->upsmash combo is even easier >_>.
oooooh, look who makes everything look easy ;D

I'd try it out, but since ive changed R to jump, I need L to shield =/

But same with Hylian, neither of the AT's need much thought after you've practiced.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yeah, except you won't be able to change your control set up at tournaments so you will be screwed.
Are you serious? You cant change your control set up at tournies?

Btw the people who are using Z, you are probably just charging a regular upsmash.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You're always allowed to change your controller settings at tournaments from what I know. I've been to multiple large tournaments.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I set Z to attack, switch grab to X

I can do it 100%

It doesn't really matter what control set up you have it becomes easy after a while.

J4pu

Smash Champion
It seems kind of ******** how people don't believe people doing it with Z are even doing it right, or doing it well, and other similar comments. It's like you think you understand other people's playing more than they do...
Try to understand that after a while people get it down anyway they practice it, and once they have it down why bother changing it?
So you found a way that works for you, congratulations, stop trying to force it on everybody else.
I'm not aiming this at the OP, just at the people claiming things like

Everyone who is using Z. Switch L or R to attack. I have been mentioning this for forever now. You slide further and start it off a lot faster. If you're doing it with Z you might as well just not do the dash attack at all.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
R or L it does not make a difference.

I've heard blue controllers have loose springs or something, so it might not work for them?

Either way, this only works for falco's, but it is 100% of the time unless you dont press the buttons exactly at the same time.

Setting to Z requires proper timing, this is the easier way.

what do you mean as to that it only works for falco . do you mean the timing it takes to boost smash with him or the way boost smash is done ?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
-_- I'm not trying to force it on others. I've done it with Z for a long time before I switched L to attack and L is a hell of a lot easier and it seems to go farther for me. You can cancel the dash attack with a grab, which will happen if you don't slam the control stick up when you press Z. Go ahead and use the Z button if you can get 1/3-1/2 distance of Final D.

jodo

Smash Cadet
I just tried the suggested method out... this is harder than it's being described.
dash-->upsmash combo is still the easiest (for me at least)

Saltix

Smash Lord
I use this way:

Control Stick Diagonal up in the direction you're facing, C-Stick Down, and Z(Z=Attack for me)

I don't use Boost smash too much, but when I do I have about 95% accuracy

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Each person should just use whatever is comfortable to them. For me that's pressing forward on the control stick, down on stick, then charging up and a. I can boost smash almost whenever i want i'm about 80% accuracy right now but with more practice I'll get it down better.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
You're always allowed to change your controller settings at tournaments from what I know. I've been to multiple large tournaments.
Really? Well that's good. I was afraid that tournaments wouldn't allow my R set as jump a while back so I changed it back to shield. However my control over the face buttons is now much better as a result.

Jace08

Smash Lord
I just C-stick down to initiate the dash attack, then hit C-stick up really fast. Seemed like the simplest way to me.

Top Bottom