• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Super Smash Bros Brawl SHOULD be.

Not everyone on this board is as big an *** as you.
**** right i'm an ***. I wont deny who am.

I don't want to get good at tournaments as they are because they sound like a borefest rather than fun. And just to clarify, by "widen the scope", I mean adding other gametypes to the tournament, not changing them as they are.
Why don't you try going to a tournament and playing in them before you assume how boring they are? If you don't want to accel in the game then why come here? Tournaments are by far one of the greatest experiances in smash bros., and this is coming from a person who has played Smash with items since the 64 days untill just recently.

I disagree, but why do you care, since you obviously wouldn't play at a tournament with items.
You disagree? You really don't understand how easy it is to gain a kill off of a projectile. Just look a Sheiks needles for example. They mess up almost any recovery tactic, even Samus's bomb jump.

You can't speak for the whole community, as you're only one person. And a bunch of people were saying 'You win, Jeff.' at the start of the thread anyway.
I can speak on behalf of the community, because I share the same views as our community, and you oppose them.

And the whole "You win, Jeff" thing, when was this thread about winning anything? But hey, feel free to boost your ego.

The title of the thread (and most of what I posted in the first couple pages) was just to get a rise out of the board, which I thought was 100% people like you. Since then, I've realized it's not, and have carried on actual conversations and polite debates with several people.
I couldn't give a rats *** about how much of a douche you think I am, I'll still remain who I am despite how much you dislike my attitude. If I dislike something, I'll sure as hell disagree without hesitation. I used to be a polite person on this forum when I first came, but what's the use? Being respected/viewed as a great person in our community? Spare me... it's the internet.

I can debate politely if I want to, and I can be rude.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think the knowledge I've gained on the internet and in this board is enough, but I do intend to go to one to see if it's the same as my ideas of what it is....somewhere...eventually. Just gotta find one.
You're wrong...that's like saying that reading about Venice is the same as visiting it. I would encourage you to try one out.

psicicle

Smash Ace
It's not like there is only one tournament that you can go to or some organized network of tournaments that have the same rules.

Make your own, there are loads of people on the boards here who seem to want the same thing. Other people who actually do organize these tournaments probably don't want to expend the effort to basically make another tourney within the one that they are organizing already. Clearly this is something easier said than done.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Lol, I think it's done for the night since Jeff left. Theres really no point in arguing with him because he changes his mind too often and he thinks he's god to go around and Judge people...

He doesn't understand Points of View..

Casual players need to have their own tournaments and Competitive players should stay the same. xD

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
Why don't you try going to a tournament and playing in them before you assume how boring they are? If you don't want to accel in the game then why come here? Tournaments are by far one of the greatest experiances in smash bros., and this is coming from a person who has played Smash with items since the 64 days untill just recently.
As said, I intend to go to a tournament eventually, but from what I've seen, it does sound boring.

You disagree? You really don't understand how easy it is to gain a kill off of a projectile. Just look a Sheiks needles for example. They mess up almost any recovery tactic, even Samus's bomb jump.
I disagree that the disadvantages of using items outweigh the advantages, but unless I'm mistaken, doesn't hitting someone in midair reset their ability to use their Up-B move?

I can speak on behalf of the community, because I share the same views as our community, and you oppose them.
The community has more then one singular view, unless I've been reading a lot of the posts here completely wrong (including several that said "I agree with you")

And the whole "You win, Jeff" thing, when was this thread about winning anything? But hey, feel free to boost your ego.
"You Win" is just a figure of speech to express that someone has done something that you greatly approve of. I figured that much was obvious.

I couldn't give a rats *** about how much of a douche you think I am, I'll still remain who I am despite how much you dislike my attitude. If I dislike something, I'll sure as hell disagree without hesitation. I used to be a polite person on this forum when I first came, but what's the use? Being respected/viewed as a great person in our community? Spare me... it's the internet.

I can debate politely if I want to, and I can be rude.
That's nice. I don't care.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I disagree that the disadvantages of using items outweigh the advantages, but unless I'm mistaken, doesn't hitting someone in midair reset their ability to use their Up-B move?
All it takes is one needle from Sheik to completely stop someone's forward momentum...if they've already used their 2nd jump, for most characters, their 3rd jump won't get them to the ledge, and for the other characters, one edge-hog will kill them anyways.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Dylan. This is topic only helps broaden your scope on the subject. If you really hope to implement your change you'll have to get support that will stick by you and be the one who starts the change. And while I highly doubt you can change Melee's competitive scene, you could guide Brawl's in your direction.

I doubt it will work even if you try though. I'm sorry, but when people who don't agree with you give you this advice, it isn't a good omen.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Note, that everything in this thread is my opinion and nothing more. And while my opinion is heavily reinforced by logic and fact, it is still my opinion, and anyone else is entitled to whatever opinion, as flimsy and nonsensical as it may be.

Now that that's out of the way, the following is a detailed list of how I think SSBB should be. Note that, however it does turn out, I'll probably still buy it, as SSB and SSBM are two of the most fantastic games to ever be created and I don't doubt that, no matter what, Brawl will live up to that legacy, even if every single thing I say here is completely blown out of the water on December 3rd (not bloody likely, since Sakurai's an intelligent man (and pretty **** attractive to boot) and knows how to make a good game, but anything's possible).

First off, "wavedashing". I have no doubt in my mind that this technique (or, glitch, really) should be completely removed from the game. It just doesn't serve any practical purpose. I've seen it used in matches and referred to as an "advanced" technique, but the only reason it's in use is because every one else uses it. If it weren't there, I assure you, the majority of players would not miss it. It's a glitch, and it shouldn't be in Brawl.

Next up, items. Items are part of what make Smash Bros great, and the fact that it seems to be a prerequisite that they be turned off in tournaments (this is what I've heard) leaves me aghast. Items add a special thrill to the game. The fun of picking up a motion sensor and tossing it on to the ground and then giggling like a schoolgirl as the opponent steps on to it and takes a nice long trip into the sky, the suspense of throwing a Pokeball, accompanied by the laughs of triumph as Lugia bursts out and rains destruction upon the opposition or the cruel jeers from the opponent as Goldeen emerges and worthlessly flops about, or the awe and wonder as Mew appears, quickly followed by annoyance that it didn't do anything. Or, and this is my personal favorite, the horror etched into the opponent's face as Marth, Link or Roy pick up the saber and proceed to bring sweet sweet twin-bladed death unto all that oppose him. And all the other wonderful little treats in between. If the characters are the heart of Super Smash Bros and the stages are the body, then surely the items are the lifeblood. This is why items should never be banished from a match, because when the blood stops pumping, the body will surely wither and die.

Now, while we're on the subject of items, my journeys through the intarweb have shown me that some people are rather displeased with the concept of the Final Smash. This just utterly befuddles me. In my opinion, a system like the Final Smash was one of the very few things Melee was missing. A quick fact check will show you that pretty much every decent fighting game in the history of time has a Super system. One could make the argument that in the 64 Smash Bros, that was the vastly overpowered throws, but that is neither here nor there. And Final Smash is another example of the SSB series doing a better job than all of its fighting game predecessors. No obnoxiously convoluted button combos, just have enough speed and timing to snatch the Final Smash ball out from under the opponent's nose and then let 'er rip (and I will bet my hat that it will take a lot of speed and timing. If there's only one per match, then you're gonna have to be pretty fast to get it before the other guy).

In specific, I've seen a lot of naysaying on Samus's Final Smash, essentially confirming that an item is required to make the transformation to Zero Suit Samus. I for one think it's a great idea. Yeah, sure, the transformation system for Zelda/Shiek was good enough, but for one thing, it wouldn't make any visual sense for Samus. So she can just shed her armor and put it back on at will? Psht. Yeah, that makes loads of sense. Secondly, this is better in the fact that it makes Samus a deeper character. You'll have to learn to train as both Samus and Zero Suit Samus, and if you do this well, it would make you a force to be reckoned with, to be sure. Imagine it, you use Samus's already formidable repertoire to batter the opponents until the Final Smash ball appears, obtain it, and use her Final Smash to send them on a one-way trip to the brink. Then, with you're increased speed (and new sexy figure, rowr), finish them off before they can get their heads back together. Certainly, it wouldn't be an easy thing to master, but it would be oh-so-worth it at the end, I believe.

As for the stages, (the "body" of Super Smash Bros, I believe I called them) while I can appreciate the simplicity of Battlefield and Final Destination, the insane regularity with which they're used is...somewhat disturbing. There are loads of stages, guys. Don't be afraid to branch out. A good stage makes you consider the terrain and either be wary of it or use it to your advantage (Mute City). A great stage will constantly keep you on your toes, either due to inherent peril, or because you were just given a narrow opportunity to open a can of whoopass, somehow (Brinstar Depths, for example). Of course, the fact that these two stages are banned from tournament use is quite startling, as they're two examples of great design, especially when they're turned away in favor of Final Destination, which is, quite literally, just one long platform. ...Seriously guys, let's have some variety.

And this is an utterly personal thing, but.....Viewtiful Joe should be playable.

That's all I have to say. I hope you enjoyed reading.
This is the most intelligent post on these forums, ever.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
As said, I intend to go to a tournament eventually, but from what I've seen, it does sound boring.
Tournaments are -reallly- fun actually. If you can relax and have a good time (like most smashers) even during the serious matches its all laughs.

I encourage you to go, and like I said before.. if you like items so much ask for an items match in friendlies? Money match someone with items and see if your skill with em pays off for 5$ no one's stopping you, but I don't see why you'd have to say Tourneys sound boring based on the rules, go to one, I garuntee you'll not only have a great time, you'll learn a lot about the game from other people who can give you advice or just show you strategies in battle you never saw before.

This is the most intelligent post on these forums, ever.
Ah it is not. Here I'll point something out at random

''One could make the argument that in the 64 Smash Bros, that was the vastly overpowered throws, but that is neither here nor there.''

Throws are actually way more powerful in melee since there are 4 directions and aside from some they don't knock you very far

which -leads- to the kill move. Throws to knees, uthrow uair with fox.. yoshi can even uthrow uair some badass combos on fastfallers. While throws may have been an easier one time kill Im pretty sure that the setup ability of melee's throws far outweighs the brute force of the ssb64 backthrows

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Odd, he talks about logic and facts in the first post, and then shows he doesn't know how a move is used and why items and certain stages are banned. If he's changed a bit fine, but it still doesn't exactly make it so his post qualifies for "most intelligent ever".

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
As for the stages, (the "body" of Super Smash Bros, I believe I called them) while I can appreciate the simplicity of Battlefield and Final Destination, the insane regularity with which they're used is...somewhat disturbing. There are loads of stages, guys. Don't be afraid to branch out. A good stage makes you consider the terrain and either be wary of it or use it to your advantage (Mute City). A great stage will constantly keep you on your toes, either due to inherent peril, or because you were just given a narrow opportunity to open a can of whoopass, somehow (Brinstar Depths, for example). Of course, the fact that these two stages are banned from tournament use is quite startling, as they're two examples of great design, especially when they're turned away in favor of Final Destination, which is, quite literally, just one long platform. ...Seriously guys, let's have some variety.

GG.

With the exclusion of bombsoldier loving 1337 falc0 crews, nobody plays soley on FD and battlefield. I in fact hate battlefield. As a fox player of course I love FD but I pretty much like any stage that isn't battlefield or pokefloats that isn't banned. And as you can see there are quite a few. Mute city rocks..

So get over yourself and don't talk down to smash players like they don't know the depth of their own game, just because we choose to drop a few stages and turn off the kiddie toys.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Ah it is not. Here I'll point something out at random

''One could make the argument that in the 64 Smash Bros, that was the vastly overpowered throws, but that is neither here nor there.''

Throws are actually way more powerful in melee since there are 4 directions and aside from some they don't knock you very far

which -leads- to the kill move. Throws to knees, uthrow uair with fox.. yoshi can even uthrow uair some badass combos on fastfallers. While throws may have been an easier one time kill Im pretty sure that the setup ability of melee's throws far outweighs the brute force of the ssb64 backthrows
It doesn't matter, the SSB series was never meant to be played seriously, ever. Go play a better game that doesn't allow you to rely on the constant usage of glitches to win rather than actual skill.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
And now it's obvious you aren't worth paying attention to.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
It doesn't matter, the SSB series was never meant to be played seriously, ever.
Depends how you define seriously, if it was an extreme serious such as devoting ones life to training in smash then yes that would probably be against the suggestion of the manufacturer.

If by seriously you mean playing with the intent of developing one's skill at the game in order to fuffill the objective of winning vs an opponent, then I would have to disagree because even games of skill and chance (much like smash with items ON) such as poker are played ''seriously'' and even professionally, with specific sets of rules.

Go play a better game
Such as? Smash is my favorite game, and ''better'' is purely subjective, noob.

that doesn't allow you to rely on the constant usage of glitches to win rather than actual skill.
Bah glitch exploitation is and always has been a big part of the pro gaming scene, just look around you. If the glitches are too annoying or overpowered they are banned in tournaments. The only such technique that has come close to being banned in smash is wobbling (grabbing with the ice climbers and doing an infinate combo using desynchs) as the rest of them are not abusable to the point of being the only requirement to win a match.

Rather smash requires you to learn hundreds of small techniques and try to chain them together so you can deal with any situation. Wavedashing isn't always a good idea, and I'm actually trying to do it less, and quicker when it matters.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
It doesn't matter, the SSB series was never meant to be played seriously, ever. Go play a better game that doesn't allow you to rely on the constant usage of glitches to win rather than actual skill.
ROFL, you are the three thousandth person who said that. You win a cookie. Not really.

If you want, you can play tourney people. Ask them to stop using the non skilled techniques known as "advanced" here. You will still lose.

*rediculous arguement time* SSB was never meant to be talked about either. Sakurai told me one night while making plans for the DI system, l-cancels, and air dodges. :o No lie. So everyone stop talking about the series. Talk about a game that was meant to be talked about.

BTW, those "better" games have metagames that uses glitches too. Blasphemy I say. Blasphemy, how dare they try to make tourney games too "serious." :mad::mad::mad:

This post was intended to make no sense.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
My post >>>> your post this time NesN00b. :laugh:

Your falcon nipple spikes this thread though...

or better yet stomp to falconnnn punch? ;)

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
My post >>>> your post this time NesN00b. :laugh:

Your falcon nipple spikes this thread though...

or better yet stomp to falconnnn punch? ;)
Awww. . . . . . darn. I will do better next time. :( I think I am too tired to post anything coherent. :laugh:

But yes, I will stomp to falcon punch this thread. ;) Wait. . . . . .we are not intending to do what the developer intended. He said that he didn't want the game to be talked about in anyway. I have failed Sakurai. :( Oh well, it is more fun doing things my way and not the developer's way.

psicicle

Smash Ace
d00d u kno ppl rnt suppost to be usin electric stuffs u kno we wernt intended for talk and building cities and stuff and nature intended we climbing trees and living in f0rests u kno.

Ugh I can't type like that anymore.

Umm yeah I dont think people were really "made" to discover things like umm math and science and to make computers and stuff.

So if you really want to live your life by intentions (and these are intentions that you assume exist. You also assume that you know the intentions) then go live in a cave or something.

BlueBandanaJake

Smash Cadet
Ft. Lauderdale FL by day, Homestead FL by night
When will people learn that no one wants to hear their opinions unless they're meant to be disputed or proved wrong/right?

If you posted this just to get it off your chest then let me let you in on a little secret: no one really cares, their lives (and ultimately their gameplay styles) will go on unchanged.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Depends how you define seriously, if it was an extreme serious such as devoting ones life to training in smash then yes that would probably be against the suggestion of the manufacturer.
That basically is what the Smash Community is all about.
If by seriously you mean playing with the intent of developing one's skill at the game in order to fuffill the objective of winning vs an opponent, then I would have to disagree because even games of skill and chance (much like smash with items ON) such as poker are played ''seriously'' and even professionally, with specific sets of rules.
Yeah, I mean, using glitches sure does take a lot of skill, right? No.
Such as? Smash is my favorite game, and ''better'' is purely subjective, noob.
I meant that sh-tty players like you don't need to be playing the game, and should play another game, because honestly you don't deserve to play when you don't even appreciate most of the stages, items, characters, etc. And instead constantly use glitches to win.
Bah glitch exploitation is and always has been a big part of the pro gaming scene, just look around you. If the glitches are too annoying or overpowered they are banned in tournaments. The only such technique that has come close to being banned in smash is wobbling (grabbing with the ice climbers and doing an infinate combo using desynchs) as the rest of them are not abusable to the point of being the only requirement to win a match.
Yeah, I mean, really, pro gamers sure do rely on glitches to win like the Smash Community does, right? No, they rely on SKILL, and HARD WORK.
Rather smash requires you to learn hundreds of small techniques and try to chain them together so you can deal with any situation. Wavedashing isn't always a good idea, and I'm actually trying to do it less, and quicker when it matters.
Wavedashing and all other glitches shouldn't be in the game at all, ever.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Luke, you don't know what you're talking about.

You obviously know nothing about the Smash community. And as far as your "glitches" are concerned...how about the glitches to make your jumps smaller or the glitch to turn on a dime or the glitch to run back and forth in place or the glitch to allow you to do an aerial attack immediately after hanging on the ledge or the glitch other recoveries besides the ones the computer players are programmed to use or the glitch to allow you to stand up immediately after hitting the ground or the glitch that allows you to lose lag time when landing aerials, which was kept in from 64 to Melee...

psicicle

Smash Ace
Luke, a lot of the players here would probably beat you one-handed to be honest. Although I couldn't, my tech skill with one hand really sucks.

But I would MM with ganon, no "glitches"

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Luke, you don't know what you're talking about.
I know exactly what I'm talking about.
You obviously know nothing about the Smash community. And as far as your "glitches" are concerned...how about the glitches to make your jumps smaller or the glitch to turn on a dime or the glitch to run back and forth in place or the glitch to allow you to do an aerial attack immediately after hanging on the ledge or the glitch other recoveries besides the ones the computer players are programmed to use or the glitch to allow you to stand up immediately after hitting the ground or the glitch that allows you to lose lag time when landing aerials, which was kept in from 64 to Melee...
Yeah, what about those glitches? They're glitches, I'm not going to use them to determine how good I am, I'm going to use actual skill and hard work. Using glitches is just a cop-out to actually attempt to be good.
psicicle said:
Luke, a lot of the players here would probably beat you one-handed to be honest. Although I couldn't, my tech skill with one hand really sucks.
Personally, I wouldn't doubt that, considering I don't play the game that much as some others do, but I've done just about every glitch out there a couple of times and used them, and quite frankly all it does is prove how much someone is a failure at the game when they have to use GLITCHES rather than SKILL to win.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
You're wrong. You think you know what you're talking about, but you don't.

And here's the proof:
Dylan_Tnga said:
That basically is what the Smash Community is all about.

psicicle

Smash Ace
When two people use the same "glitches", what then? It comes down to skill.

My definition of skill is:

The ability to win. If one beats somebody else more than that person beats them, they have more skill.

There you go, a quantitative method of determining who is more skilled.

I'd like to see your definition, which would somehow involve somebody who loses to their opponent to be more skilled.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Its not a ****ing glitch you ****ing moron.

I've had it with these ****ing noobs talkin about all these ****in glitches.

Wavedash - its just physics from sliding from an air dodge

Short Hop - If you let go of the jump button b4 you jump you do a short jump

L - Cancel - Was clearly seen in the first game and was reduced in the second game but not taken away.

Seriously though even with out using any advance technuiqes I could easily beat you with Jigglypuff sinces thats my main. All I have to do is WOP you and get rest combos in you. Oh didn't you know thats what you use rest for. *******. I'll throw you off the edge, b air you constently and you won't know how to avoid it. Heck I could just use rollout and hit u cause I'll keep on coming back at u and you won't know that your supposed to stop using your sheild and jump the **** out of the way. I don't use wavedashing or L-Canceling for Jiggly. Well I hardly use L cancel cause when I do a arial I don't usally land after it.

Seriously though you noobs really like to use the words "Gitches", "Fun", and "cheap" as your only way to argue back.

And don't call us ****ty players. And you also shouldn't be telling us not to be playin the game. We can do whatever we want since we all own our own games. Just because we don't play on some stages dosn't mean that we should be banned from playing the game. I mean, thats low, even for you.

psicicle

Smash Ace
heh be careful, shorthop might be considered a glitch that wasn't intended though it's somehow programmed into the game

the grim lizard

Smash Master
How old are you? Like 13? Seriously, learn to make a real argument for once.

I'm glad you think you're "completely right" in your own mind, though...because there is no one else here who agrees with you. What you clearly don't understand is that your comments give you no credibility whatsoever, and they show that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Edit: @ Jigglymaster...You're supposed to use sing before you rest with Jiggly, otherwise it's against the rules. Didn't you know??

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
When two people use the same "glitches", what then? It comes down to skill.
When two people use the same glitch, then that is proof they both suck at the game.
My definition of skill is:

The ability to win. If one beats somebody else more than that person beats them, they have more skill.
The definition of skill is:
Dictionary.com said:
skill1 /skɪl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[skil]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well: Carpentry was one of his many skills.
2. competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity: The dancers performed with skill.
3. a craft, trade, or job requiring manual dexterity or special training in which a person has competence and experience: the skill of cabinetmaking.
4. Obsolete. understanding; discernment.
5. Obsolete. reason; cause.
[Origin: 1125–75; ME < ON skil distinction, difference; c. D geschil difference, quarrel. See skill2]

—Synonyms 1. proficiency, facility. 2. deftness, cleverness.
—Antonyms 1. inability.
Yeah, that's totally using glitches constantly to win instead of actually work, right?
I'd like to see your definition, which would somehow involve somebody who loses to their opponent to be more skilled.
No, not really. Nice try, though.
Jigglymaster said:
Its not a ****ing glitch you ****ing moron.

I've had it with these ****ing noobs talkin about all these ****in glitches.
Yes it is, anyone with intelligence would know that.

...Oh snap, never mind, sorry about that, I can't expect you to even know considering your lack of intelligence. Sorry, dude.
Jigglymaster said:
Seriously though even with out using any advance technuiqes I could easily beat you with Jigglypuff sinces thats my main. All I have to do is WOP you and get rest combos in you. Oh didn't you know thats what you use rest for. *******. I'll throw you off the edge, b air you constently and you won't know how to avoid it. Heck I could just use rollout and hit u cause I'll keep on coming back at u and you won't know that your supposed to stop using your sheild and jump the **** out of the way. I don't use wavedashing or L-Canceling for Jiggly. Well I hardly use L cancel cause when I do a arial I don't usally land after it.
I really don't care if you can beat me or not, I'm still righter than you could ever be. Plus, I have better things to do other than play SSBM all of the time.

psicicle

Smash Ace
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106060

Go to 4 times the fun

There you will find what you (luke) describe as tech skill. It is one of four things that make up "skill".

Hopefully that will shed some light on how the "glitches" do not play the biggest role in smash.

EDIT: By definition of skill, I mean one that will tell you who out of 2 people is the more skilled one. Dictionary definitions are more broad in nature, I am asking for one for smash bros.

"When two people use the same glitch, then that is proof they both suck at the game."

I'd like proof of this assertion

Top Bottom