• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should friendlies be played?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Just curious about the other players outlook on friendlies. Should you Sandbag, Go for amazing stuff all the time. Refrain entirely from gimps/Punishing and gentlemencide if your opponent kills himself. Should you go all out and camp or try and time someone out as if it's a tournament? Do you play it differently or the same as any other match? What do you do? How do you play? Why am I asking so many questions? :chuckle:

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I am still developing my skills, so I always just play my best to improve. It's not completely strict and competitive though, like I played bowser against a jiggs in friendlies, he missed a rest and I just let him wake up and continue. In friendlies, just try to practice specific things-perhaps, for example, you need to perfect a certain aspect of a character you play. Spamming a certain technique you aren't good at doesn't give you the greatest chance of winning (that you would want in tournament play), but it's just friendlies so who cares, it's just for improving.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
In friendlies it's good to try new tricks that you think might work but aren't sure. That way you'll see if they work and if you fail it doesn't matter.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
when i play people that are alot worse then me i stop caring start playing sloppily, but then they start getting cocky and think theyre hot **** because the matches are close >.>

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I can't sandbag so I just pick falcon and SD 3 times. Friendilies all is fair unless said otherwise I once did the freeze glitch on my little brother :) would've been easier if I knew about the hand-off at the time.

like i'm alright most of the time if my brother laser camps me unless he's been doing it for the last like 10 matches or if it's 3 people playing because then you can't approach because it's insanely hard to powersheild with 3 people playing. 4 is different because each person has someone to fight.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I play like I play in tournaments, except I use more characters than just my primaries and I don't plank/stall/camp/etc... I also go for more crazy things.
This kinda reminds me of how I play more or less.

do whatever it takes to have fun

if not, then its not a friendly.
That I hear alot. The thing is there isn't a way to put Fun into a small box. Fun is different for everyone. obviously campiness and planking/stalling isn't fun. However must things are very subjective. For example I may find it fun to try and pull off some cool combo or a **** on you spike at the end of a Match just for kicks. However the person I'm playing gets mad and takes it personal and calls me a "****head that doesn't know how to play a friendly match". I've been called a **** for Gimping, Using a move to much, 0-deathing, Chain-grabbing, Playing on certain stages, using certain characters vs others, intentionally going for shield stabs to much, and going for moves that doing work and making them work somehow.

If I stop doing all these things to make someone else have fun....what do I do? There isn't much left to do. It would be understandable if the people were scrubs but the Main 2 that have presented this argument are as good as I am so it kinda throws me off. I can barely relax simply because most of the time I'm not sure what to do/not do. I'm busy thinking of what won't/will make someone upset if I do it while at the same time trying to play against people as good as myself so plenty of times I just say **** it and do the **** anyway. I don't really see a way around it. lol

N64

Smash Champion
play to have fun. if the other person is not having fun from your playstyle, evaluate whether or not it would be worth it to adapt to whatever he'd enjoy more. The more you appease him the more likely you are to get more matches out of him, but these matches will likely not be as fun for you. Choose.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
Personally I play just for fun. I don't camp (even against a Jiggz) and I like to go for the amazing kills, even in the stupidest of situations. I'll gentlemencide if the other player kills themselves right away. Normally I dont sandbag, however i will try to do things i normally wouldnt. For me, it's really just about having fun, even in tournaments.

PB&J

Smash Hero
play to have fun..then play to learn..in some situations, if your trying to train for a big tourny or something then u focus on playing patient and such things u need to work on that are crucial in a tourny match

Geist

Smash Master
Do random stuff
Winning friendlies doesn't matter, unless maybe if loser gets kicked.

So see how far you can go off the stage before you can't make it back, fly off the stage with a Falcon punch after ever stock, or whatever.

Vincent46

Smash Cadet
Unless the other person is someone I could 3stock while having a cup of tea, I just play to learn, which means I focus on not getting hit and think a lot about my opponent's moves. Also risky reads and amazing kills sometimes.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
it depends, if its just a random monday and theres no tourney that you need to practice up for, just go for the crazy comboes dont ever camp. you dont always have to be approaching, but dont stand back and shoot lasers/throw bombs/shoot arrows. etc. DD camp for a second to see what they do. dont camp ledge as marf.

if you're wanting to do anything else tell them, say "hey, im gonna give tournament effort"

PB&J

Smash Hero
Unless the other person is someone I could 3stock while having a cup of tea, I just play to learn, which means I focus on not getting hit and think a lot about my opponent's moves. Also risky reads and amazing kills sometimes.
well even if i can 3/4 stock them i am playing to learn..or for the must part i am teaching them things and i believe the more you teach is the more you learn

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
play however you want

dont be so insecure, you dont need us to tell you how to do it, its a match with no consequences

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
"how should friendlies be played?" means you are asking how to do it

"how do you play friendlies?" means what you wanna mean

both are perfectly valid, but the first is what you asked and the second is what you meant

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
haha i know this sounds like a dbag move, but if the other person is clearly winning/better than me, i sandbag really obviously so i have an excuse later on.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
well i understood, in light of the thread, but there is also the possibility that they have a preset idea of what their goal is

if your goal is to improve and play at the best level you can, then you should try your hardest in friendlies. to some people, the most fun they have in this game is when they are pushing it as far as they can. someone could conceivably ask what style of playing friendlies will help them improve the fastest and expect answers like "play like you do in tournament" or "experiment with new tricks"

majority of posters on smashboards would respond to either question identically, as anyone can see in this thread

battousai555

Smash Ace
I play how I would in tournament only with very little chaingrabbing and camping. I also try to keep in mind my opponent's rage level, if necessary.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
well i understood, in light of the thread, but there is also the possibility that they have a preset idea of what their goal is

if your goal is to improve and play at the best level you can, then you should try your hardest in friendlies. to some people, the most fun they have in this game is when they are pushing it as far as they can. someone could conceivably ask what style of playing friendlies will help them improve the fastest and expect answers like "play like you do in tournament" or "experiment with new tricks"

majority of posters on smashboards would respond to either question identically, as anyone can see in this thread
Good point I guess. I personally enjoy being pushed. However My motivation level is probably triple of all my play circles motivation levels combined. Most of the time the problem is probably that. It's not none of the other BS it's just they don't see why I would give effort to do some things in a match that isn't important. Often I can't think of a good answer that makes sense aside from simply wanting to.

I play how I would in tournament only with very little chaingrabbing and camping. I also try to keep in mind my opponent's rage level, if necessary.
Yeah. When controllers start getting tossed that changes things alot.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
well.. when me and my friends play friendlies we just try to play not gay at all.
we also try to do the stupidest carziest most awzume comboez evar in friendlies. the ones that don't really make sence and make you question how low that ***** GnW really should be.

we dont edgehog and we limit jiggs mains to not many gey rests, but there aloud to do cool restz.

we do do gimps and stuff n' such and semi gey edge guards like marth sidesmash/sheikdsmash stuffz.

OH! we also like to inforce the rule of no shine spikes... unless ofcourse its against someone who can tech it. (character i mean, not player)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
3 stocks. That way you have to be quick to the punch. Meaning you'll be warmed up faster.

I wouldn't know if this would work. I mean what if we got to a real tournament match, with 4 stocks. Would we feel relaxed? Well maybe we wouldn't be as nervous, and we'd be more alert?

===========================

Although, I think I need to try to play on full-power so that I can warm up for tournament. At apex I was having fun with some people, but do I really need to do that to get better?

But then again we shouldn't really "Show our stuff" at friendlies so we can **** at tournament...

oh wait I'm not good yet so I don't need to worry about my stuff.

Bacon Isai

Smash Cadet
I like decimating my opponents. Survival of the fittest. Melee is for the strong.

LLDL

Smash Hero
In friendlies I try to just **** the other person if possible LOL. But the difference is I can laugh at myself if I make a mistake.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
to me, Improvnig and Winning are the most fun things about melee, so those are what i try to do in any match, tourny or not.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oh yeah, expirement in friendlies. That isn't a bad idea. : D People will think you are a scrub but in actuality you are a mad evil scientist that has observed enough data to create NEW combos and obliterate everyone. Maybe.

Top Bottom