• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you practice?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I practice for about 2-2.5 hrs with my brother everyday. I'm tired of getting last place at tournaments. :(
It's not easy man. Keep trying! I have been to MANY tournaments. MANY. WHere I just placed last. Now I might place a little bit higher, depending on who I player. But I'm still bad. I'm going to try and see what I can do at No johns if I (hopefully) am there.

Just keep in mind. You also get better by by reflecting on yourself, and what mistakes you may have made. ALWAYS ask for tips man. Be proactive. ;o

Be strong

----------

You joined 09, so you prolly already do that stuff. Sorry. <3 BE STRONG STILL. : D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I never practice, might've spent 30 minutes or so a day in the beginning few months of playing the game to learn basic techs like wavedashing and chaingrabbing. Even my frequency of playing the game at all has been limited to one or two tournaments a month with barely any friendlies played.

For some reason my tournament results would indicate that I've been improving regardless.

Bones0

Smash Legend
2-3 hours a day doing various specific nuances. The way I see Marth is that since his sword is always the same length what determines if I tip each move is the combination of my movement and my opponent's movement. I can only control half of that equation, so to better my chances of having good spacing I need to have absolute command of my movement and every nuance of it. Being able to WD all 3 lengths (in place also which is very underrated), doing any tilt out of any WD, doing any tilt out of any aerial and vice versa, spacing an aerial perfectly out of a DD, utilizing different DD lengths and WD lengths to control the stage with just JC grabs, utilizing wavelanding on the ground and also platforms to bait things/put myself in a better position, everything possible on the ledge, and most importantly making everything smooth and as frame perfect as possible.

:phone:
There are definitely more than 3 WD distances, just fyi.

V

Smash Ace
For the purpose of simplicity in explaining I refered to there being 3 since the sublengths are inumerable.

RabiezToCujo

Smash Rookie
almost every day, bout 40 more hours a week. i usauly practice alot of jc shines with fox. like wave shining wave shining but with doubl, tripples jc shines r qauds ect..... its pretty fun when it get easy for ur fingers to do. wave dashing out of jc shines is so good with fox.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol I didn't know that son! I can understand tho. I had my first tourny in late 07. (but then didn't do much for much of 08, just a few locals) I prolly got moreee competitive once I got up here in philly.

But yea you be strong too. ;o We should play again : D

Orko

Smash Apprentice
I practice maybe an hour a day.
I just combo different charachters over and over. My punishes are weak so I'm trying to make them not that.

IronSquid

Smash Rookie
4-5 hours on week days; 8-15 hours on weekends, in sets of 4-5 hours. Theres usually nobody for me to practice with so I'm stuck with the ****ing cpus a lot.

Mabey Melee is why I have a 30.76% in algebra. Oh well, I'll have plenty of time to fail it again next year. I hope I can drop out of school at 16 if I get emancipated so I can spend more time practicing Melee.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
4-5 hours on week days; 8-15 hours on weekends, in sets of 4-5 hours. Theres usually nobody for me to practice with so I'm stuck with the ****ing cpus a lot.

Mabey Melee is why I have a 30.76% in algebra. Oh well, I'll have plenty of time to fail it again next year. I hope I can drop out of school at 16 if I get emancipated so I can spend more time practicing Melee.
actually, the community needs fewer idiots

it's a common misconception that we don't have enough

V

Smash Ace
Its like that kid that dropped out to be a pro at guitar hero, where is he now? Hell he can't even score cheap drugs or get groupies like an actual pro guitarist so what was his reason?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I think we should discuss single-player training regimens.
I've started forcing myself to go into training mode and go to Yoshi's, then I proceed to waveland around the stage at least three times in a row. After that I try to wavedash from one end of the stage to the other while beginning to throw out utilts once I reach half way and keep going until I do it off the stage and grab the ledge. If I miss a single wavedash or jump trying to utilt or don't grab the ledge at the end I start over from the beginning. Also, when shyguys show up I follow them off stage trying to hit them all as many times as I can and start over again in hopes of doing it all before they show up again. Once I do reach the end without any mess ups I kill the CPU with only jc grabs and proceed to fight lvl 1 fox or if I'm bored lvl 4 random CPUs. I've noticed a lot of growth with this, planning on making it harder as I go along.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
why the **** did you wait 3 years to post, and why did you post that
Oh lawd this is hilarious.

Anyways, I'd say I practice solo stuff a good hour a day, erryday. At first it was grinding tech stuff (wavelands, shorthops [I had the hardest time getting a consistent shorthop...] that kinda stuff), now I'm toying around with the different parts of Marth's sword in relation to stoofs. So more techgrinding.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I personally can't do more than 2-3 hours a day before my ability to play skillfully plummets. That's usually split up to about 1-2 hours CPUs and 1 hour technical practice.

AaronDesu

Smash Rookie
At the moment, college has my hands tied and I'm relying on a gamecube controller made by Gamestop.

I'm waiting for my GC memory card to come in and a gamecube controller I bought recently (the white one made by Nintendo) and I should have 3-4 hours of practice a week.

Edit:
It's strange though. With the GC-Gamestop controller I can easily short hop like a rabbit in Brawl (using Marth and Pikachu), but in melee it completely ignores it. I'm not sure if it's the controller, the wii, or my TV producing lag or whatever. I just literally started playing Melee today.

Edit 2:
May anyone give me like a cookie-cutter guide on what to practice on like techs and such? I intend on having Marth as my main and Pikachu, Falco, and Fox as my subs.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
IronSquid should definitely stop going to school so he can play against CPUs more. How do you think Mango got to be where he is? College? lolno

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Edit 2:
May anyone give me like a cookie-cutter guide on what to practice on like techs and such? I intend on having Marth as my main and Pikachu, Falco, and Fox as my subs.
Wak's advanced technique guide for melee on youtube is great for people who want to learn how to do the ATs.

AS for SHing in Brawl, I think it's just easier in brawl due to input speeds, not your controller. I could be wrong but I noticed my SHing in melee went to **** after I played brawl.

AaronDesu

Smash Rookie
Wak's advanced technique guide for melee on youtube is great for people who want to learn how to do the ATs.

AS for SHing in Brawl, I think it's just easier in brawl due to input speeds, not your controller. I could be wrong but I noticed my SHing in melee went to **** after I played brawl.
Yeah, that's what I was referring too. I can short hop with near 100% accuracy in brawl but in Melee it only happens about 30%. Since it's a 3rd party controller, and there has been some discussion regarding 3rd party controllers being not as good, I'm going to focus on that argument for now. If I see no change, I just suck at the game LOL.

Thanks for the direction pointer by the way.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Most of the time I plug in 2 controllers, one for each spacie, and practice nair-shine pressure, options OoS, and wavelands around stages.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
the only time i practice is when im burnin with my homie. we play for hours on end... i dont even own the game lol

D

Deleted member

I don't practice and just got 3rd. New York getting exposed.

the last time i played was apex. the time before that was with doh. the time before that was pound 5. lol

S l o X

Smash Champion
i don't play alone because i only have a laggy tv which i can't sync combos with right on.

when i play with swiftbass i play for like 5 hours once or twice a week.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The last time I played teams was at Apex. The last time I played teams before Apex was in May. Needless to say, I suck at teams. :c

Roller

Smash Legend
I mean, I mainly play Brawl, which I practice ~5 hours per day if you average weekends and weekdays. (more than half of this time is with other power ranked players)

Melee I practice ~8 hrs per week, and that's mainly just at smashfests. Since I mainly just go to chill with the MI melee guys.

DaGarebear

Smash Rookie
Anywhere between 1/2 - 4 hours a day, currently practicing on shine nairs and shdl so I can do them consistently. Going to my first tourney at the end of this month, so excited :)

Also, first post. Hooray.

kevlar

Smash Cadet
I'm usually grounded from smash, but when I'm not, I usually practice 3+ hours a day. Right now, I'm working on ledgedashing, shineusmash, and perfecting my wd oos, and fox's shinebair.

Top Bottom