• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you play a Sheik as Marth?

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Question: When fighting Sheik, if she goes on a platform, is it ok to space a fair/uair from the side/below? I know you're not supposed to jump unless Sheik does, but I feel like Sheik on a platform is just as vulnerable to aerials as Sheik in the air.

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea hitting sheik with a fair when she's on a platform is godly. Huge combos will ensue. You have to be really careful tho because if you're late or out of position needles are going to stuff you and then she gets a fair, then she gets a grab, etc.

Every sheik tends to have patterns for going on to platforms, make a good read on when she is going up there and fair her for it.

D

Deleted member

hitting an opponent on a platform above you with an upair isn't as safe as it used to be as people are learning to drop through platforms or WD off the side of the OOS. So long as your opponent isn't doing it though, by all means abuse it as much as possible.

JrJet

Smash Cadet
Soo I versed a sheik in a tournament today and 4 stocked her (thanks for the advice on here.. Really helped a lot)

Now (unrelated I know) can someone help me with the falco match up or point me to a thread about it (escaping his combos particularly) cuz that's who I ended up losing finals to :(

:phone:

OverLord

Smash Ace
If the problems are his combos, then just try to DI away all of the shines, and tech roll away from him. That's the best you can do.

Also, if he's uthrowing you to Dair, you can jump away and Fair him. If he's Uairing you though, you're ****ed.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Soo I versed a sheik in a tournament today and 4 stocked her (thanks for the advice on here.. Really helped a lot)

Now (unrelated I know) can someone help me with the falco match up or point me to a thread about it (escaping his combos particularly) cuz that's who I ended up losing finals to :(

Don't get caught in the combos in the first place. I know this sounds cliché but "don't get hit." It all comes down to avoiding his lasers and hitting him before he can hit you. Read this thread, it's helped me a lot:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102497

If you do get comboed, there's not much you can really do about it except for DI (which can't be done on reaction on the shine because it is frame 1) and teching, but you'll probably still eat a ton of %.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman

power shielding lasers could cripple his confidence and boost yours as well so attempt to get good at that.

light shielding isn't all that common or expected so try it just a few times when he runs at you with a dair/nair and grab em as he stands in derp position in front of you. its not something to abuse tho so use it when he will land in front of you and only sparingly.

and yes fair is good fairing a falco as a combo-breaker is also pretty crippling so always try to do that but don't miss or falco will touch you more

now back to sheik marth the dumbest high tier matchup

JrJet

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. I will definitely be practicing my escapes. And yes, onward with the sheik talk

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lol wtf is all this ****. All you have to do vs sheik is fair camp really close to her and grab the **** out of her at every opportunity.

Never stop fairing.

Throw her *** towards the edge.

????

Work 10x harder than the Sheik to take a marginal victory.

Edit: Thinking about it, I play against Sheik in a very similar way I play against Falcon. Tech chase bull**** into endless ledgeguarding loops zoning them off the stage forever.

Niko45

Smash Master
That's ok but if their timing is really immaculate the dtilt won't get out in time. Empty hop dtilt is absolutely boss tho. Resist the urge to fair when it can't hit. They're not going to run into it I promise.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I usually get grabbed when I whiff a fair :ohwell:
Fair-Dtilt maybe?
The beautiful thing about a properly executed late fair is that it creates a huge wall of **** right before you land that points straight forward. This is basically the area that the opponent has to wait at before being able to dash in and grab you. If you do it properly, you shouldn't be getting grabbed.

Niko45

Smash Master
I was kind of joking.

Plus you played me with Fox afterwards, don't even try to pull that.

Anyway, I might throw you some money, we'll see how broke I am at this imaginary tourney we're both going to.

D

Deleted member

Interesting that you and Umbreon have such opposite ideas about whether using aerials is good or not in neutral vs. Sheik

and about which direction to throw to get a positional advantage
I don't have any ideas opposite to the cactus. I just suggest stronger basic strategies because having a solid base is the most important thing when learning. As you get better, you can develop more style or try to work in gimmicks and preferences. But if you don't know what you're doing, it's much harder to learn. Deviate as you get better.

Except nair. Don't ever use nair vs sheik. that's not even a style thing, it's actually just terrible.

Dart!

Smash Master
fighting sheik successfully is tough, you need to think quicker and faster than they do. if they're asian...then you're ****ed!

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
oh yeah your right....*****es getting brave now. Smack her with the sword....in a non-sexual way. Marth is gay after-all.
Actually it would be sexual because Sheik's a transvestite, remember?
It's the reason why the **** breaker combo works on sheik but not Marth.
So sheik would also not go into the kitchen.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
What thing I do on Sheik's that ISNT guranteed (But works everytime) is at higher % Fthrow them. THey will tech away WD>Fsmash. It tippers every time.

Top Bottom