• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 How do you know when you're (tourney ready)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
how welcome are new players at tournaments, regardless of their abilities haha
Very welcome. : D People love meeting new people interested in the game competitively, and the smash community is very nice. : ]

Also age does not matter. All ages are welcome. Sometimes there are even people from 14-2? LOL. I'm 20.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
You will never be tournament ready if you play CPUs...
Just play with friends/other smashers in your community and then head to the tournament. You will probably get r@ped your first couple of tournies (especially with Ness), but you should improve at an extremely fast rate.

Hint: Pick up a high tier in case your Ness isnt placing as high as you would want

strawhats

Smash Master
i feel bad for always being on smashboards but never going to a tourney (Crismas put me on blast lol)

I will hopefully make it to RoM3 , and Cataclysm V.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
don't play ness. main a good character :p

basically anyone from S,A or B
then keep ness for fun after your decent

:009:
I think this is a really dumb post. Play who ever you want to. Look at Shaky he's an incredible Ness. I don't wanna hear that he's an outlier.

-Ran

Smash Master
what is the typical age of a tourney-goer
is being around age 16 weird for tournaments?
I turn 25 this October, and I still travel out of state for tournaments. Most of the individuals that are responsible in the economy that run tournaments and focus on building the scenes tend to be the elder members of the community. I've never felt like the odd man out because of being older than most of the players, who tend to be just starting college, or ending their high school careers. A ton of prominent members of the community are getting 'up there' in age.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Pfft. Level 4 Ganon, always di's my throws D:

HOW CAN I FOLLOW UP

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
go to major tournaments. Seriously. Get GIANT CARPOOLS and CARPOOL to nationals. You get to play everyone and get exposed to the highest level of play, and have a great experience as well, along with keeping smash alive, with encourages even more players to come. Do this people, seriously!

Smash Journeyman
go to major tournaments. Seriously. Get GIANT CARPOOLS and CARPOOL to nationals. You get to play everyone and get exposed to the highest level of play, and have a great experience as well, along with keeping smash alive, with encourages even more players to come. Do this people, seriously!

This is M2K trying to lure scrubs into going to big tournies (which are the only ones he ever goes to if you havent noticed) in order to take their moneysss.

Lol jus kidding hes right

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Play with real people.
Go to a tourney.
Learn from your mistakes.
Go to more tourneys.
Get better.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You must know what you are doing and learn from your mistakes to be ready to go to tourneys, if they just kick your *** and you can't understand why, it doesn't help much.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
If they do kick your ***, ask them what you did wrong, and what you need to get better at. Always always ask questions, they won't give you advice without you asking (some will, but some don't, you have to pry it out of themmmm)

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Never been to one myself, but I'm thinking about trying to get to one soon... of course, I'm not old enough to go somewhere by myself, and my parents already thing I take video games way too seriously :p. Either way, I think the best way to tell if you'r ready is just to go to the tourny and see how you stack up. Alternatively, if you know someone who frequents tournys, you could play them a few times and see what they think...

Just go for it, man!

fragbait

Smash Master
Ignore the obvious troll above me. He clearly has no clue what he's talking about.
lol Dec 09 and 10 posts.

ohhh true. Yeah I'm trying to main ness and i tend to pk fire then grab a lot which prolly gets punished on real people haha XD
Ness Mains :3 WE'RE TAKING OVER THIS *****!
Oh, welcome to SWF. Best way to get tourney ready is go to go tourneys.

Couldn'tve said it better myself.
(Oh, new guy, that's M2K, whom most consider the best in the game right now. Get ur facts right dawg)

I recommend checking out the Ness character boards to take a look at what is possible with your little buddy, then, instead of completely changing up your game, look at what you could implement into your game NOW, and work on it! Don't worry about the ATs just yet. Just worry about how many MetaKnights are on your side of the bracket.
Well, that and Marths.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
God, the Marth matchup. Only thing that keeps me from playing Ness.

Here's an idea which I'm preparing myself: Make a binder with every matchup in it. Read over all of them, or at least the ones you have trouble with, before each game.

Gea

Smash Master
The main thing here is you aren't going to win your first tournament. No one has any expectations for you either except yourself. Well okay, their expectation is going to be you'll get dead last because you're just a random guy. So who cares if you lose? Go and have fun.

It's pretty agreed upon one of the best ways to learn is to have a friend roughly your skill level or that is learning with you, then a friend better than you. Play them both often. Talk to people you think are good, ask to play them. Talk to people you think are bad. Ask to play them. See if you can get videos of yourself playing. Watch them. See if you can identify what you did wrong and what you could have done better. Ask people for specific advice. Say, "What do I do against Marth's fair?" instead of "How to I beat Marth?"

Try to learn. Practice on your own, but not with computers. Practice things like pivot grabs, DACUS, how to space your aerials so they cancel before you hit the ground, the lowest you can possibly go and still recover, the exact spacing of your killing moves. Play on all stages that are legal in the area you are in. Form your own opinions of which you prefer. Don't be afraid to switch characters or play multiple ones.

If you aren't enjoying yourself, quit playing.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
I'm new to tournaments all I gotta say is after you do your first one don't EVER play WiFi again if you know the matchup.

Unless its just for fun or whatever.
do not listen to this idiot, he's ********. im pretty sure most people will agree with me, if i remember correctly Ally himself gotreally good off of wi-fi.
Wi-fi does help. it teaches u the MU for differnt characters. and teaches u how to play against other people rather then just playing the cpu.

just dont get to used to the lag on the wi-fi

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
well tournaments are better than wi-fi. Wi-fi is better than cpu's. Cpu's are better than YOU. OMG jk.

but wi-fi, is just probably all about winning... I mean, sometimes if there are three other people they might just FEEL like teaming up on you. (either way, people will get one to PLAY for fun, not seriously, plus there is lag, I'd only use it to play for fun either way)

Plus if theres items on wifi, then that opponent might try to beat you with it. Although a smart player CAN adapt. ;P

Plus, you want to do 1v1, not free for all.

Don't worry how Ally got good, he still had to go to tournaments either way.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm new to tournaments all I gotta say is after you do your first one don't EVER play WiFi again if you know the matchup.

Unless its just for fun or whatever.
do not listen to this idiot, he's ********. im pretty sure most people will agree with me, if i remember correctly Ally himself gotreally good off of wi-fi.
Wi-fi does help. it teaches u the MU for differnt characters. and teaches u how to play against other people rather then just playing the cpu.

just dont get to used to the lag on the wi-fi
Please don't refer to people as idiots unless you read.

Other than that, yes, Wi-Fi (for me) only really helps in playing someone other than CPUs, and getting some good MU experience. If the match is super laggy, i just play to have fun, since you're both unable to play to your fullest extent, it's better to just have fun with. I don't think Ally got good by playing straight Wi-Fi, he had to get offline and play it a bit, even before he was sure of his own skill; Just to mark out that he didn't have to be "Tournament Ready" to actually go to a tournament.

@OP: I've been told: You don't really know when you're ready for a tournament unless you try.

Synzael

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone :). this is my first post :O. I've been playing super smash bros since 64 first came out. I've always been casual but considered one of the best around my peers in my city. Since i've been on these forums the past week or two, i"ve learned a TON. it's like a whole new ball game. anyway, Im having difficulty figuring out what makes you good/bad at ssbb. Would someone be tourney ready if they always beasted on a 1v1 vs a lvl 9 cpu? Or is it more dependent on consistency online? idk, i just wanna know how to get better, and how to know when im ready to take on a tourney. anyway, thanks for reading this and have a nice day <3.
When i read this post i was like, is there anyone who thinks they could be competitive and cant beat a level nine cpu? Or 2? Or three?
So then i beat 3 level nine cpus on final destination, took me about 2 tries and i know that im not near 10th place mlg level of skill let alone M2K or Ally, but still i think a good baseline for being competitive is to be able to say, have i ever beaten 3 level 9 cpus on a small stage? Well i bet i could do that, and be able to execute it easily.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
disregarding the obvious trolling, and regarding the good advice, you should take care to attend tournaments and using the time there to establish yourself as a competitive smasher. If you are a bad sport people tend to not want to play with you. You may run into some hotheaded people, I did at many tournaments back in the day. You just have to keep the intense passion for winning and improving burning. Once people notice that fire they will respect you. You have to have confidence in knowing that even if you lose in tourneys, you are a valuable part of this community... There are plenty of ways to practice. I personally use lvl 9s on occasion for practice, but I have also become aware and avoid the bad habits associated with using them. Remember at tournaments to put your best foot forward and don't back down to any competition despite what people say about matchups, tier lists, etc. I love playing captain falcon, and although I main other characters, friendlies at tournaments are a fantastic way to improve your metagame as well. Once you get past the basics of the game, you will start to adapt to the more advanced side of competitive smash. There is a lot to learn, but the people are great, and the road is fun. set goals and hit them.

Over at UMass Lowell, I was regarded in my dorm building to be the best in Smash Melee. One day, as I was playing a few practice rounds, a Korean guy named dan and his buddy from NY, who both attended the same school, challenged me to 1v1 Melee Battles. They both beat me, but Dan beat the crap out of me. I was confused, and later was suprised to discover that I had made rivalry with one of the Smash Melee legends, KoreanDJ (KDJ)... my whole world of smash changed as KDJ introduced me to tournaments and competitive smash. Although he hasn't been around much in the smash scene, I never let him put out my fire... instead, he just fueled it.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Lowell has several noteworthy smashers. Omegablackmage and Buuman both attend school there. You probably know them if you know Dan, Corey (OBM) at least.

a male platypus

Smash Apprentice
I would say definitely play wifi to figure out how you stack up against other players. Playing wifi is different from offline obviously, but the experience it teaches you is quite valuable.

For example, I've been to 6 tournaments my whole life, 3 of which I've won. (They were small though)

But the ones I didn't win, were big ones like HOBO and wHOBO. I've always placed top 20, normally 13th or 17th and I would only play about one hour a day, and on weekends all on wifi. I've also been lucky enough to beat a few of the bigger names, like Sethlon and Espy.

Point is, you won't know til you go. But you can definitely get a feel for it by playing online. Check out: Allisbrawl.com for a wifi ladder that will surely help.

Ally Fanboy

Smash Rookie
Just start going to tourneys. But just realize one thing: No matter how good you get, you will still probably lose to Ally.

Life

Smash Hero
I also have my first two tournaments coming up in the next couple months and my lack of friends who are as interested in SSBB as I am is gonna hurt, so what I'm doing to prepare is getting into the habit of analyzing my playstyle as I fight and seeing what I get ***** by and what I can do about it.

For example (I'm a Sonic main, but this should apply to most/all characters), I recently played Wifi with a guy, who after playing a couple other characters switched to Ness. I noticed PK Fire into grab (and grabbing in general) and DJ Fair from the ledge was ****** me. The first was easily countered by waiting a moment before attacking Ness in the end lag, but the second took more work.

So I made an effort to keep away from directly in front of the Ness, hit shield every time I heard "PK" when I could be hit by fire (in Wifilag that's basically the timing to powershield depending on distance), use instant dash attack (control stick to side + cstick down) if I thought I was gonna get grabbed, mash spring to get out of PK Fire if I got hit (he'd do PKF into grab and for some reason I couldn't DI out of the fire), keep Ness in the air so I couldn't get grabbed, etc. and after a couple matches I started winning and he changed characters. Now I only have 38 other characters I have to apply this to (35 basic plus Sheik, ZSS, and counting PT as three, and then minus the Ness).

TL;DR You and I are/will be going in with basically no matchup experience prior to the tournament, so you'll have to be good at learning on the fly if you want to have any hope at all IMO.

Also, Wifi is good for learning matchups but not so much for techskill. CPUs are okayish for techskill but terrible for matchups. In Soviet Russia, math does you.

EDIT: oh hey look I already replied to this thread and didn't remember it. post still applies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom