• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you control the King?

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
I've heard of people that switch up their X and Y for grab/shield to pull off chaingrabs and infinites smoother.

Right now, I'm using Default controls with tap jump off to reduce the risk of messing up my u-tilt. (On GC) I'm actually considering tilt-sticking since I barely smash with DDD. However, if feel like I need SDI more since DDD is combo bait.

So how do you guys control the King?

Zagul

Smash Rookie
Normal controls. If I switched it up now I'd be so prone to hitting the buttons I used to have. I don't get used to different things very easily. (Yeah first post)

Staco

Smash Champion
I have controll stick to smashes, gameboy thing to direction, b to shield, a to jump, x and y to grab and l and r to attack.

Just a joke, lol, I use normal controls. Wheres the problem with chaingrabbing with z?
Maybe if your z button is crap, then use x or y for it xP

jaaboy

Smash Cadet
c stick set to tilts
y set to grab
ill probly set tap jump to off soon

Foursaken

Smash Apprentice
I control my King DeDeDe by placing both hands firmly on my game cube controller, positioning both my left and right index fingers on the...

I'm just kidding. I have X set to grab, with tap jump set to off. Everything else is default. Depending on the situation, I'll use either Z or X to grab. I use Z to chain grab, and X whenever I'm trying to infinite my opponent. It's just easier for to do for some reason. :bee:

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I have every default (including Tap jump on). However, I have trouble with the infinite using Z or shield grab.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
It depends on who I'm playing.
If I can infinite my opponent, I set c-stick to grabs (brick-sticking) which makes DDD's infinite very easy to do.
If I can't infinite my opponent, I just use normal controls. I like having tap jump on because it makes a WoP easier to do.

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought you were going to complain about how you're having difficulties controlling DDD.
Haha.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
It depends on who I'm playing.
If I can infinite my opponent, I set c-stick to grabs (brick-sticking) which makes DDD's infinite very easy to do.
If I can't infinite my opponent, I just use normal controls. I like having tap jump on because it makes a WoP easier to do.

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought you were going to complain about how you're having difficulties controlling DDD.
Haha.
How does the process of switching controls affect tournament procedure? I assumed it would be frowned upon.

No, I have no problems controlling DDD. However, I do need help controlling my minions, but that's for another thread for me to start.

POKE40

Smash Lord
How does the process of switching controls affect tournament procedure? I assumed it would be frowned upon.

No, I have no problems controlling DDD. However, I do need help controlling my minions, but that's for another thread for me to start.
I would assume that wouldn't be frowned on.
imagine:
"switching controls... that iz uzng hax"

But for controlling minions? Its about aim... dunno what you're actually asking :ohwell:

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I have L set to jump, tap jump off, and Y set to grab. Oh, and rumble off, if that counts. If I aim to use the Jet Hammer or do Zap Jumps (lollucas, I don't use him, but when I mess around with him) I kinda claw, but with my right hand instead of my left, so that I can hit B and X at the same time. It's to the point where I actually haven't realized I've been doing this until just now.

Also, for the record I don't use L to jump, even though I have it set to that. I just find it funny when my friends don't switch to their names, then are like WTF I CAN'T JUMP AND WHEN I TRY TO SHIELD I JUMP.

TheGungnir

Smash Cadet
i use my C-stick set to tilts, because all of his tilts are faster than his smashes, and are much to be desired.
X is what i use to SH
Y is Grab
Tap jump is on, because it allows easier maneuverability for WoP.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
People don't care if you change your controls at tourneys lol.
No one's said anything to me yet, and I have every right to smack them if they do.

StevenMctoweleee

Smash Rookie
For mine, i have no tap jump, but use my L button to jump and X to grab, while having a B-stick on. That's about it. The reason for some of my controls is simply because i also use other characters other than DDD, and it's just easier this way.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Every button for taunts. mindgamez

x=grab, tap jump off, c-stick to grab (for infinites) and L is jump for some wierd reason (I use R for shield)

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
This is my control setup.

- Tap jump off.
- X set to Grab.
- L set to Jump.
- Everything else is default.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
I use default on my controls but I have tap jump off, I don't do that for easier u-tilt I do it so I don't jump when I do a u-air(Throws me off when I do)

DennisTheKing

Smash Cadet
Normal Controls for me, to used to them..but yes Tap Jump off for his up tilts(very important)

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
Wiimote and Nunchuk, D-pad to smashes, tap jump ON for aerial maneuvering. No grab button, just shield grabbing.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I use X for grab, simply because I play other games and things which required specific timing were on the X button so I felt comfortable doing it.

My controls are tap jump off, X for grab and L set to A (for other characters who need DAC and for a cool little trick I do).

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Believe it or not, I use classic.
Y=Jump
A=Attack
B=Special
X=Grab (I never use X anyways)
R=Grab
Zr=Grab
Zl=Shield
L=Shield
C=Smash
Dpad=Taunts

cowsareforeating

Smash Rookie
I find that WoP is easier with tapjump, so if you aren't using x or y to jump or w/e use y for grab and cstick for tilts works really well for me

Zip.

Smash Lord
Y set to grab
Tap jump off

i used to have tilts set to the c stick and tap jump on, but that was meh.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Switching to MK is a true sign of whoredom.

Also, I heard what happened at CoT4 that made you do poorly in singles. Something about a parking lot behind a venue that involved you moving your forearms up and down a lot? I also heard that's where the "money back" chant started from, not the venue fee.

lol <3 Seibrik

Top Bottom