• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I get back at someone when they spam their rolls?

CriticalAcclaim

Smash Rookie
My friend just spams his rolls when he wants to get away from me and I'm half the stage away, and I want to rush up to him and punish him for it, but I don't know how. **** invulnerability frames. I understand you only get invincibility during the actual roll, but not at the beginning or the end. And I also understand that rolling excessively is bad (I wavedash) and I just want to know how to punish him, some help?

EDIT

I main with marth, I totally should have put that in *smacks head*

battousai555

Smash Ace
Predict the roll and f-smash them (or whatever would be most advantageous to your character). Keep playing him and you'll get the timing down, and hopefully pick up on his patterns. What char. do you usually use against him?

demodemo

Smash Ace
run at him, right when he rolls (usually towards you) wd back and grab him

or just dd bait, then punish a roll with a grab

the key is grabbing really, when my friend spams rolls i just grab, because a grab goes through a shield, so you just have the invincible frames to worry about

eventually they stop rolling as much

JPOBS

Smash Hero
spam projectiles (if you has them)

if not, a roll can only be in one of two directions, bait a roll, pick a directio nto cover, and if you chooses wrong **** him with something.

eventually, you'll notice when he rolls in certain directions and can do it even better

battousai555

Smash Ace
run at him, right when he rolls (usually towards you) wd back and grab him

or just dd bait, then punish a roll with a grab

the key is grabbing really, when my friend spams rolls i just grab, because a grab goes through a shield, so you just have the invincible frames to worry about

eventually they stop rolling as much
WD back->grab won't work if his char's WD isn't long enough and/or the opponent's roll is too long. He said his opponent rolls to get away, so I would assume he would roll away from him, not closer. DD baiting would be a good option in most cases, but it really is character dependent.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I would stand back with a good projectile character and just spam him until he is forced to attack, I would use fox or link, or even marth, range spam

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
I love falcon's side B against roll. It's really hard to miss when using it in the same direction they are rolling(ie the "away" roll)

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
You run up to him, and charge a forward smash the other way and ask him if he is going to roll.

Its works, I do it all the time against roll spammers. Also, roll spammers tend to roll all the way to the edge...

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
What I did to get my friends to stop rolling was just crouch next to them, then, a`la mango and armada, just follow the roll and rest.
They don't roll anymore.

Give that a try. Or just pick CF and when he rolls, run past him and stand where he will be, and grab.

LLDL

Smash Hero
if he can't predict rolls, im not sure he will be able to understand terms as tech chase dash dance and wavedash. The only thing I can tell you man is to work on spotting the frame where he is vulnerable inbetween rolls and work on timing your attack ot grab to fit inbetween those times.

Drecker

Smash Ace
1. Learn how to space tippers.
2. Stand at tipper range from where he's going to be.
3. ???????????
4. Profit.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
seriously though, you have to learn how to wait. smash isnt about constantly attacking, its about choosing the right time and the right type of attack. if you are losing to roll spam, you are likely attacking where he is right then. wait for his action, and counter that. dont just attack him.

Vro

Smash Lord
Dash dance beats roll. Also, make sure you space where he will be, not where he is.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if he's rolling predictably, then go to where his roll will end and hit him when the roll finishes instead of attacking where he's standing ("Instead of shooting where I was, you should have shot where I was going to be!")

if he's not rolling predictably then there's nothing wrong with what he's doing

rolling is legit

also wtf at "tech chase", that has absolutely nothing to do with anything

Xelyst

-_-
DD = Dash Dance

Main thing : 1 Roll From Opponent = 1 Dash A From You (Spam Dash A Back at him and you might be lucky enough to catch him out of his roll and Utilt to Get Off combo.

Or You Can

1. DD > Predict/Follow > Grab > CG or Tilt/Areial > Combo
2. DD > Predict/Follow > Dash-Cancel Fsmash
3. DD > Predict/Follow > DashA and if your in range throw a Dtilt in to mess him up (weather he is holding his shield or not)

Predicting/Following the tech/roll takes some time to build your reaction skills around. So to practice just grab with Marth without trying to grab your opponent again and let him fall. Then begin to DD or just use good spacing and go and try to follow. If he is going to use a get up attack then just hold your shield and attack or just shield grab.

Lots of possibilities just make some up or do some that are listed.... Main thing is don`t create options that could get you punished.

CriticalAcclaim

Smash Rookie
if he can't predict rolls, im not sure he will be able to understand terms as tech chase dash dance and wavedash. The only thing I can tell you man is to work on spotting the frame where he is vulnerable inbetween rolls and work on timing your attack ot grab to fit inbetween those times.
"(I wavedash)" from the post. Thanks for your concern

Halloween

Smash Cadet
I neutral Air then fast fall. You can follow up with another Fair or another Nair ur choice, but My friend who mains fox always rolls, and i beat him nearly every single game because i catch him with Nairs. Hope that helped.

Immature

Smash Rookie
Since you're a Marth, you try to predict his roll, dash to him and follow up with a side b, into a grab and combo from there. If you fail to follow up with a side b, CC and try to dtilt to fsmash?

X1-12

Smash Champion
try walking towards him, or running then wavedash to stop sliding along the stage and then when you get to where he started his roll you should be able to do a side smash whichever direction he is going

dudutsai

Smash Lord
seriously though, you have to learn how to wait. smash isnt about constantly attacking, its about choosing the right time and the right type of attack. if you are losing to roll spam, you are likely attacking where he is right then. wait for his action, and counter that. dont just attack him.
This. Good luck

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
My best advise to you:
If you realize that he will just abuse the rolls, than do not (I repeat, NOT) constantly attack at random, hoping to strike him.
Instead, hold on the attack, wait for the roll, then get him when he comes out of the roll.
After you master that, try to use some wavedashes to space the tippers in, and soon you will be able to easily destroy anyone who abuses the roll.
Also as Marth, if you dsmash when facing him and he tries to roll around you, you'll hit him on the other side.

...But patience is definitely the way to go in situations like this.
(also you could try to abuse the grabs, because if you attempt the grab and he rolls around you, you can get an easy smash in on him)

Binx

Smash Master
Basically create situations where they want to roll, if you think it will be towards you stop early and stand there and just time it right and grab them uthrow and beat them up, or you can try fsmashing. If you think it will be away from you then instead of attacking you keep running towards them stop at the correct spot and grab them and beat them up, you prolly won't have time to fsmash in this situation.

null55

Smash Master
rolls are real easy to punish
i juss wish i could get punishing spot dodges down x.x
especially if they do it a lot. for rolls, you need to see how you're spaced when they roll. if they roll a lot, they definitely will fall for the bait if you space the same with the intention of chasing their roll. waiting -> grab is the **** (and also works for spot dodgers, obv). also, a lot of roll spammers will often roll towards you, as if to say "hey, **** me up". (yeah i know it can work when you do it right, so can everything in this god**** game. ;))

for spot dodgers, it's a little trickier. rolling takes a while for everyone. sometimes you can know to punish it simply by reacting to it. spot dodging you REALLY have to predict. sometimes people do it right after their attacks, or when you dash dance. either way it's a matter of waiting... and obviously knowing your opponent to do so. watch what situations he spot dodges in (it's potentially the same **** over and over), charge f-smash until you can hit him when he's not invincible (or hit them with a charged shot for hilarity).

Binx

Smash Master
CJ covered how to beat spot dodging pretty nicely, you just need to space well and just notice when and how often they like to do it, the window to punish it is pretty small for some characters and pretty large for others (sheik + peach) so depending on your choice you need to predict it pretty precisely and avoid situations where it will significantly effect you until you can predict it.

edit: LOL @ ZHU

Pi

Smash Hero
yea, my friend likes to spot dodge my attacks a lot, usually from the air though, so i'm usually coming down w/ an aerial only to have it spot dodged into a shine
i guess some empty jumps to waveland perhaps

Top Bottom