• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

Asce

Smash Apprentice
I just use the regular button configuration for it. use the tip of the thumb near the fingernail to slide from Y and use in between the base and the knuckle to get the first buffered laser, then just do the SHDL timing after that. The initial slide is reminiscent of auto-cancelling the fair.

crifer

Smash Lord
I was talking to Rookie and he told me he sets his special to Y and jumps with X because it's less distance to get from the two buttons.
I am now finished with spending more than a hour with practicing shtl,
I tried using Y as special (which worked like 50%), stick jump (which worked like 80%, but sometimes I get a firefox :/ ) and then I just set L to special (since I´m only using R to shield or to dodge) and realized how **** easy it is.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
no i mean, generally after you get hit, when you use the shine you 'bump up' a little. (see @ 1:53-1:58 of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg.)

i thought a b-reversal simply changes your direction when using a special...?

anyway, i'm asking whether the 'shine bump' would bump 'up' after a spike (or in other words, would shine be a good thing to do after getting spiked)?

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord

anyway, i'm asking whether the 'shine bump' would bump 'up' after a spike (or in other words, would shine be a good thing to do after getting spiked)?
Technically, it won't make you go up in any amount, so a shine will not be able to assist you after a spike in that specific sense. But the shine does stop Fox's motion, which can give a player that crucial extra split-second they need to get their bearings straight and decide their next move.

In a nutshell:
It won't necessarily "help" you, but it doesn't really hurt either.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hi.. i have a question about fox...

Alright see i just started picking up MK and am loving him but.. the only thing that is stopping me is that i only want 1 main and i want to play melee and brawl so i want 1 character for both games.

So im wondering if i should main fox or not...

I really do want a very fast character, i mean very fast. Main reason is because ive always loved fast paced games like gunz the duel so i guess thats why. So i wanted to ask.. which is more fast paced and harder to learn.. fox, falco.. cant think of any others atm so if you can think of any that would be great.

So yeah just let me know if fox is still good in brawl because ive never took any time with him and just let me know if you htink he would fit me?

Oh and i could change my name to Fire Fox lol.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
pika is decent and using qac you can be rather fast.

how do you guys do a sh autocancelled uair, I struggle to do it with tap jump or button jump,
I've found that setting L to jump makes it easy and works well but then I cant have l set to special.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Well could you tell me what character is best at comboing? I know all characters have combos but what is a character that can gimp a lot or is just fast and can combo well like fox and falco?

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
so I randomly picked up fox today, and I was wondering how you guys did certain autocancels. I can only do uair autocancel with the a button, the cstick is too slow, and should I use cstick or the a button with sh dair? and do you have any suggestions with the timing of bair with shorter characters, I can't seem to get it to hit the shield and still space it properly.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Umm auto cancelled uair is hard. You can claw (which is where you use ur right thumb to cstick only and index finger to push buttons) i dont really recommend that unless you're ganon. Or you just roll your finger from x,y to A. Thats the easiest and just take practice.

For bair on smaller chars, you need to start the attack at or after the height of a sh

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
rolling from x/y to a would only work with tap jump off though, whats the eaiser way with tap jump on

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
no you can still roll from them u just need to barely tilt the stick up like you would utilt with tap jump on. It's just a habbit that needs broken.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the tips! I have a few more questions. what are the best moves to use when diing? dair perhaps at the top? and what from the side?

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Dair is okay but itd be better to do a uair anydirection. As long as it's fastfalled it doesnt really matter once you've exited hitstun on which direction that you move the stick (i think)
Then there's shine reversal, which I've never been able to so for some reason.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
ya its supposed to be. I've never been able to get it down though... and when you miss.... ur dead lol

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Exactly which is why up air is usually the way to go. Shining is too risky, and since Fox is such a glass canon, risky things are usually not the way to go.

Safe options only please =D

HotWings

Smash Ace
I have a question about Dash-Danceing... is it better when i have tap jump off? When i try to dash-dance i always end up jumping. So should i turn it off... but then i cant U-Tilt juggle if i do that.

Please help me figure out an easy way to dash-dance without me jumping.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
How does tapjump on or off affect your utilt juggling? Isnt it easier to utilt without tapjump?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
How does tapjump on or off affect your utilt juggling? Isnt it easier to utilt without tapjump?
you should be able to use tilts with out acivating the jump.
spend some time practicing stick control and you'll be fine.

I have a question about Dash-Danceing... is it better when i have tap jump off? When i try to dash-dance i always end up jumping. So should i turn it off... but then i cant U-Tilt juggle if i do that.

Please help me figure out an easy way to dash-dance without me jumping.
same thing for you, just spend some time to learn stick control (ie dash dance with tap jump ON) and when you finaly gt it, you'll have gotten better already

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
That was rhetorical uzi. I just meant that having tapjump on or off shouldnt really make a difference with utilts. And we can all say that it IS easier to utilt with tapjump off. It may not be the preferred method but it is easier. I dont really mean to flip out i just wanted to make my point clear

HotWings

Smash Ace
1 more question, is it true that fox is the #1 most fast paced character in melee and brawl? If there is a character that is more fast paced than fox then please tell me because right now i think fox is #1.

Oh and by fast paced i mean a character that involves you having fast fingers.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Tis tru^

Also Pika can get pretty slippery i think with QAC and QA locks. And then at a super technical level mk could be a contender. But id say that fox is a safe bet to say yes to.

Uzi this may be a question more for you, but can fox garb release>running upsmash MK?

crifer

Smash Lord
Uzi this may be a question more for you, but can fox garb release>running upsmash MK?
I will answer this. :p

If the mk inputs a jump while he is grabbed you have a guaranted running usmash.
Watch the winner finals of TKD vs Tyrant of 2GG tournament. TKD grab releases Tyrant into usmash a lot,
but if you watch the grand final, you will realize that tyrant became aware of this and didn´t input a jump while being grabbed.

crifer

Smash Lord
pretty sure I saw tkd do the grab release usmash in the grand finals.
could be, I only know that I realized that TKD landed the grab release usmash way less in the grand finals.
Also M2K stated, like a year ago, that he is sure that fox can grab release usmash mk, IF mk inouts a jump.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
1 more question, is it true that fox is the #1 most fast paced character in melee and brawl? If there is a character that is more fast paced than fox then please tell me because right now i think fox is #1.

Oh and by fast paced i mean a character that involves you having fast fingers.
If by fast paced you mean potential for a bunch of technical stuff: Ice Climbers, Diddy, Pikachu, (all lolinfinites), Peach? (or so I hear)

If by fast paced you mean those things realistically coming up in top level play (along with good spacing and all that): Diddy, Ice Climbers, Fox maybe, Pika maybe.

If by fast paced you mean highest APM (actions per minute), then it's most probably/definitely Fox. I don't find SHTLs and stuff technical as in difficult, but it certainly requires fast fingers.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
hey guys, this isnt necessarily a fox question but a fox boards question. Do we have a straight up fox video guide? Like i've seen specific techs have videos, but not like a real beginner's guide, anyone know where one is? If we dont have one made, i'm going to make one (probably if we have one already anyway).

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I've tried but I'm having tech. difficulties right now so go ahead.

This board is too lazy to come together and do major things.

If you need help you got me.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Kay, i'm just thinking the super basic stuff, like rising fair, dair-upasmash lol, ac fair, bair, uair, shl's.... just simple fox tricks, like stuff someone who wants to main him would like to know.

Top Bottom