• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
At first, when I was noob smasher, I played Mario as my main for quite awhile. Eventually, I learned about the advanced techs, and switched to falco since hye looked coolest to me. So, I main Falco now.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Back in the Nintendo 64 days, I had always wanted to main Link because, well, he's Link! But his recovery move was just so awful...I wound up playing Kirby most of the time 'cause Copy was fun and his moveset in general just felt solid. Then, when Melee came out, Kirby was no more and Link had finally ceased to suck. I jumped at the opportunity.

After I grew out of Up-B and Sword Plant spamming, I developed a deep appreciation for Link's synthesis of melee and ranged ability, and the versatility and strategy that comes with it. I've never really considered anyone else for my main since Melee...Link's playstyle just suits me really well. I plan to stick with him in Brawl, but I'll probably work more on picking up new characters than I will perfecting my abilities with old ones...at least for a while.

Of course, being my main is something of an informal title, because I jump around the character selection screen like nobody's business. I used work at playing Samus a lot, since much like Link, her offensive options are so varied and interesting. Unfortunately, I've always just plain sucked with her. I think the flamethrower moves are a big part of it...whenever I play her, I keep looking for moves that just aren't there. I wanted to be aggressive and punish airborne opponents like I could with Link, but I didn't know how. It made her feel passive, and I didn't like it. If she survives the presence of ZSS in Brawl, though, I might just give her another chance. I respect Samus a lot as a character in general, and I know there's potential to be had in her SSB moveset if I could just get the hang of it.

When I first unlocked Marth, I used to play him a lot because OMG HIS SWORD IS MORE LONGER TAHN LINKS!!!. Then I realized I was bored to tears every time I used him. Yes, Marth, you can fsmash. We get it already! After that I dropped him forever. He's a tough opponent, and one who would have been easy for me to learn, but I don't care how well I do if I'm not having fun with it.

Then I started looking more seriously into Ganondorf. He quickly became one of my favorites. The feel you get from landing those irrationally powerful moves is just so satisfying, and his offensive do-or-die playstyle is loads of fun. Unlike Samus, Ganondorf is extraordinarily good at chasing down and obliterating airborne opponents...not to mention the ones on the ground. He's my number two now...I probably play him more than I do Link in friendly matches, even though Link is still my primary duelist. It makes me sad that he's going to lose his pilfered moveset in Brawl. He might have been a clone, but at heart, he couldn't have been any more different from Falcon. I just hope they find some way to leave him with the same basic feel he has now...

My third best is probably Peach. She has always struck me as being really interesting with the floating and all, and I play her pretty often. I know I have potential with her, but I've never really worked at improving with her specifically. Link and Ganon are just more fun.

My secret dream was always to become good enough with Bowser that I could bust him out in semi-serious matches just to suprise people. I think he's got a great moveset, and he's a cool-lookin' character, but I just can't get past the slowness and his massive punching bag of a body. I still play him for the heck of it when there aren't any upper-tiers around, but alas, it was just not to be. I eagerly anticipate the changes he gets in Brawl, though.

I've never even dreamed of choosing a character just because they're high-tier. In fact, pretty much all of the upper tiers bore me (except Peach, who's kind of an outlier compared to the rest). I do mess around with Sheik from time to time, but to me, winning with Sheik just isn't really winning unless you get at least one KO with a lightning-kick to the face. Sadly, my dream of fully integrating Sheik and Zelda wasn't much more successful than my foray into Bowser's realm. I always did better with just Sheik...and where's the fun in that?

dinoneil

Smash Rookie
I play Mewtwo because I wanted to play a character that was unique. I wanted to play a character that was underestimated and unheard of.

Since Mewtwo is bottom tier, I decided to give him a try. It turned out that he was way better than I expected. I've practiced long and hard with him and now I'm determined to win local tournaments and rise as an underdog using a bottom tier character.

:laugh:

Midna

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a main per se.
I'm the best with Pikachu for some odd, strange reason, but nowadays I mostly play Dr. Mario, with Fox and Falco as backups. (everyone loves Fox/Falco).m HOwever, when I get hyper, my Pika skills drop and it gets replaced by Link skills. I have no clue why.
TOPS:
Doc, Fox, Falco
MYSTERIOUS ORIGINS:
Pikachu, Link

Binx

Smash Master
When I first unlocked Marth, I used to play him a lot because OMG HIS SWORD IS MORE LONGER TAHN LINKS!!!. Then I realized I was bored to tears every time I used him. Yes, Marth, you can fsmash. We get it already! After that I dropped him forever. He's a tough opponent, and one who would have been easy for me to learn, but I don't care how well I do if I'm not having fun with it.
Like i said earlier I was mostly using Marth in tournies I find him very fun and challenging to play as due to his dependency on mindgames and proper spacing, however I wasnt having as much fun with him as I do other characters and the appeal of this game was always using cutsie characters to wreak havok with I main Kirby and Jiggs primarily in ssb64 and always thought it was cool to use the cute ones. Recently I have become an IC fanatic they seem to be more difficult to play than fox technically but they are cute and funny and can still pace themselfs like Marth when I need to, I sacrifice range and early KOs for cuteness and amazing grabs!

IC = thumbs up <(^^<)

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
my main charecter changed many times, now im stuck between 2, sheek and fox, it all depends on who im fighting against. i made my decision based on who i can play with the longest without getting bored XD, i would also have to be good with the charecter otherwise it would b boring. a wide variety of cool moves also helps, which is why link would be around 3rd for me. also it has to be able to anoy my opponent because if i can get them to not concentrate it will make it easier and more fun XD

dotpwn

Smash Journeyman
I play Link because he fits my groove perfectly, my ideal controlling speed that is. I primarily used falco because, well, i like shining up :p. I chose link just as a ditto match with my friend and it stuck with me. So now i use link, and i like roy too, he's up there for the same reasons. Plus, if ya beat someone with a roy excessively, you win life.

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
I play Link because he fits my groove perfectly, my ideal controlling speed that is. I primarily used falco because, well, i like shining up :p. I chose link just as a ditto match with my friend and it stuck with me. So now i use link, and i like roy too, he's up there for the same reasons. Plus, if ya beat someone with a roy excessively, you win life.
w8 what? u win a life? can u explain this ive never heard of such a thing before.

and i remember another reason why i pick my main charecter XD i prefer playing with the faster charecters so i cant be hit and i can hit my opponent before they relize its coming, which is why the bunny hood is one of the only items i ever put on.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
When SSB64 came out, I liked playing as Mario. Then when SSBM came out I still played as Mario. Then in April of 2005, I started playing Jigglypuff. Then I started getting obessed with Jigglypuff, so I started doing better with Jigglypuff. In September 2006 I got SSB online. I decided I wanted to play that seriously too so I just dropped Mario(I don't even play him as a secondary in SSB) and picked up Jigglypuff cause I like playing as Jigglypuff. Also for a 2D customable downloadable fighting game for the PC the first character I uploaded was Jigglypuff. I also main Jigglypuff in that too. So Jiggs is my main in SSBM, SSB, and Mugen. Mario is my secondary in SSBM, and Ness is my secondary in SSB. Also for a long time I've always hated the Sonic series(cause I was a big Mario fan back then). But now I've began to like Tails(who kinda resembles myself), and I plan to train a lot with him if he appears in brawl and become one of my main characters depending if he's higher on the tier list than Jigglypuff(that is if Tails even makes it into the game).

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
My main is Falcon, but i kinda main some others too, but i started using Falcon because of his speed, i like running lots, and then when i started to play Falcon more aerialy i fell in love with his knee :s

One of my other mains is Fox, but i rarely use it, since i like to use many characters, for example bowser, i find boswer really fun to play with, but im not really good with it so most of the time i lose with him :p but when people start t brag about they being soo good for KOing my bowser i turn into Fox and kill :) though i still lose sometimes :p

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I went to FC:D with a plethora of characters, and realized I needed to go down to one character that I can use in ALL matchups and not rely on counterpicks, and then maybe have one character I can use for hard matchups.

I played Mew2King.

Now I use Marth.

Skyson

Smash Ace
I've mained Sheik ever since I first played for a couple reasons. I tried a bunch of characters at my friend's house. I had no intentions of getting a Gamecube for a long time, so I was looking for a character that I could learn a few comboes for, some comboes that were easy to remember and didn't have to require a bunch of practice that I wasn't able to do at the time due to not having the game.

So I guess I main Sheik because of how cheap his combos are to use, easily memorable. Now that I've developed actual strategy with him, I'm amazed by how fast I can be compared to most of my other characters. That and my friends hated my Sheik before I had any real skill, and now they dislike him even more. :chuckle:

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
I started usin pikachu when I got tail spiked by the cpu around 4am one morning when I was half awake.

I looked at what happened and tried to imitate it. Since then I've been obsessed with making people fear pikachu

Not just tail spikes...lol

So far I've had success.

Gotta get some new matches up on youtube of my pika cuz the ones that are up now (includding the combo video "yellow rat *******") were all taken from a two hour recording period around 3 or 4am towards the end of a smashfest...

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
I'd probably consider Sheik as my main, she's just...cool. She's mysterious, dark and different. She's got the cool element. She's speedy in-game, and has great moves.
ILU Sheik

Banned via Administration
I went to FC:D with a plethora of characters, and realized I needed to go down to one character that I can use in ALL matchups and not rely on counterpicks, and then maybe have one character I can use for hard matchups.

I played Mew2King.

Now I use Marth.
did you get an interview?

on topic: i play shiek in tournaments cuz she is very good and can do very good moves and sometimes i win with her.

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
Falco:

I dont know, in november 2006 when i started with ssbm, i couldnt decide between falco and cpt falcon, I loved CF he was too sexy, coll fast etc.
But Falco was just harder, just like rambo, today I like Falco Combos, pressure on shilds etc.
But I dont like Falcos Metagame anymore, just pwning so I picked Marth as a Second for playing a smasrt Character ^^
To this i get ***** by other Falcos, and most of the Falcos only can Combo Fastfaller and FAIL when they face a Marth, so my falco is also trying just to pwn those Falco Counters, he works pretty good against Marth etc, but ive to work on peach...

bla.. XD

Mike2000

Smash Cadet
My main used to be Samus. Then it turned to Fox. When I started playing competitvley, I chose Shiek and started practicing with him a lot more.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I used C. Falcon a lot. Then I found this forum and learned about the advanced techniques. I had a serious problem with short hopping since C. Falcon jumps so freaking high. That's when I switched to Ganondorf to try short hopping with him. After all, Ganondorf was a Falcon clone but he can't jump as high as Falcon can. After practicing a while with Ganondorf, I noticed that I liked his power way more than the speed of Falcon. So that's it.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Mario...

I've been thru everything with this guy and has chosen him in all the games he was included in: Mario Party, Mario Cart, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, etc. And the only character I chose out of all these games...Were Mario. And then, playing as him on the Super Mario Bros. that came out on the Nintendo...I believe my first words wen I saw him was "....Da-ddy..." :laugh:

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
It was one day when my friends and I were playing SSBM on friendly terms. Usually my friends were the one who beat me (I played Kirby due to the fact he was my main in SSB64). I used to win in SSB64 with Kirby, but ever since that deadly nerf... yeah.

So one time I decided, "Oh, heck, why not play Peach?"

The first match I played with Peach I won.

At first I thought it was luck, but the more and more I played Peach the sooner I realized Peach is pretty good...

And that's how it started for me.

Steele

Smash Journeyman
I used to play as Luigi, but he was just way to slow for my reactions. Typically, I switched to Fox for his excessive speed to keep others off their balance. Ever since then, I became impossible to beat. My reations worked perfictly with his speed, and I would not stop moving. I mostly used the ability to jump in the air and catch an item and throw it back instantly. I've never seen anyone else to be able to do that. I haven't met anyone to this day that is able to beat me... fairly. As of right now, I'm pushing 40,000 KO's under Fox's name.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I use to play as Link in 64, and used him in melee for a while, I was good, but that was before I learned about the advance techniques, I just played for fun... anyway one day I decided to look for a secondary, I choose mario and did suprisingly well with him, must have been for his well balanced moves and stats...

So after a while he stucked with me, and I dont use link and samus (used samus for a while) anymore, now I used ganon, but I aint very good with him, Im good with mario, considered one of, if not the best mario in my town, I dont think so, tough I need more practice, but last week I almost beat one of the best in my town, and well I also di a The cape like combo, and thus Im very hapyp with my main XD

RDK

Smash Hero
I used to play as the Kirb in Smash64, and it wasn't until Melee came out and I learned about advanced techs and competitive play that I finally abandoned Kirby, and his incredibly nerfed Melee reincarnation.

After messing around with most of the other chars just to get a feel for them and their different styles, I settled with Falco.

P.S: Stryks--does Saberhof main 'Dorf?

xXGrieverXx (Hayate)

Smash Cadet
heres my really long story:

i played as Link (mostly Kirby though) in SSB and i continued to use him till i got to SSBM. I was little then so basically by best attack was up-B spam, haha. after years of no smashing i was invited to a party when i was visiting california. when i got there they were all playing SSBM, so i decided to join in with my link (with my skills of kirby long gone). of course, i still knew how to play, but i still spammed up-B a little (being the 12 yr old i was). after i came back from california, i bought SSBM November of 2005 (i was still 12, lol). i still played as link though.

I moved to california (dec of 2005). after that, my smashing life once again fell, and i didnt start playing until the upcoming summer. after school ended (i already turned 13 on feb.) i found youtube and browsed around. I didnt find anything of smash until months later, but the first thing i found was a combo vid of Marth ("Ultimate Marth Combo Vid" made by metroid1117 using clips from Wound of the Wind; i thank you deeply, man.)

thats how i started with Marth =)

Me14k

Smash Lord
back when I was a nub i tried to main characters that everyone thought were bad. My first main was sheik (i was a huge nub.) I got tired of sheik so I picked up peach..the Fsmash owned at that time.

Then I found smashboards and now I play peach for the Float cancel.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well Link was always my favorite character of all time (Well... second... HappyMaskSalesman FTW!!) *Ahem* anyway i always played him all through melee and all through 64 but i was doubting my skills a little so i made a tourney (I still didn't even know adv techs then...) of level 9 cpu opponents which as you know any one with any character could beat easily (I chose my second best pika!) and i got up to the finals no hassle until i faced i Link (My previous Main) but it was like this Link was my past Link fighting to win me back or something (No joke! seriously this happened) and he beat me with 2 lives remaining!...

...So after that i decided to use Link and i got considerably better at him individually mastering each of his moves until i used them at the right time at the right place and everything but i never really got to compete with anyone else outside of my few friend who actually had a game cube (But they were about as good as me a few even better)...

Uh never mind im just talking about irrelevant stuff now um... yhea i Main Link! : )

...Yhea im finished you can go.

bored

Smash Ace
Well I never really chose a character to start off with, I just randomly chose characters and hoped for the best (I'm more of a trail and error guy) .. But during after school we had a gamecube in the gameroom near the Gym, I generally chose Link because I enjoyed pissing everyone off with his pure cheapness... }:D , Now he is the only character I will probably use in Brawl along with pit I really wanna main with him :D

Markkk

Smash Rookie
I just use Mewtwo and Mr. Game and Watch the most because I worked the hardest in unlocking them and I wouldnt want that to go to waste. And its Ganondorf, not Ganon.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Actually... I picked Falco way back when I first saw his red outfit. The red jacket. "The Red Comet" is the initials on my screen name = it came from Falco's red jacket, basically. That's why I mained him, cause I just flat out liked his jacket. Before all the SHL and pillar, there was just me and a red jacket.

A weird reason to main someone, maybe, but I dig it.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Lol Gimpy that sounds more like an explanation of why you chose your "favorite" character =P.

I chose Fox as a main and favorite because well, he's always been my favorite since the first Smash Bros. His speed and that reflector just pwns so yeah, that's why I picked Fox.

Top Bottom