• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

Sugoi

Smash Apprentice
I decided to go w/ my current main Falco because I was always a fan of his look in the N64 StarFox game and his look in Melee was not a let down.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I've had a lot of mains since the game came out. Mostly cause I stop playing for long amounts of time, get worse and lose what skill I had. Come back, take a liking to a new character, and get back into the groove with that character.

When the game first came out, I think it was Link. Mostly cause I mained Link back in the 64 days. And it's still one of my deeply imbedded instincts to spam Links dair and uair. I don't get a chance to think about what I do when I play Link or Y Link, I basically just start flying around and completely disregarding specials.

Then I'm pretty sure that I stopped playing with friends as much, and then just not really at all. When I got back into multiplayer with others I got into Samus. And I was pretty good with her, I think she may be one of the most well-rounded characters in terms of the basics.

Then I mained Ness, because my rapidly changing mindgames threw everyone off who played with me. (A few of my common techniques are still imbedded in my instinctual playing like spamming Link's dair.)

Then I mained Luigi cause I absoloutely adored his aerial game (and still do) for some reason.

Now I main Marth. Because at some point he just became second nature to me. I don't know when.

Tallgeese*

Smash Cadet
Captain Falcon

I play Captain Falcon....because of his muscles, knee and awesome taunt.
Also because of a similarity in character to this guy

Roorii

Smash Rookie
I used to be Link, 'cause he's all around great, but, I tried out Shiek once, and I was hooked.
She's such a great technical fighter, and can pull off some brilliant combo's, and that jumping swing, wow, nearly as strong as a Falcon Punch when used correctly, nevermind MUCH more useful, because of the speed.
I suppose thats another reason I love her, the moves she has are all useful, and have no delay.

Mawnkey

Smash Rookie
I now play with ganondorf, I like his power, damage, and if u play good with ganon he's quite fast too, his spikes are nice too =) the shorthop is easy to do so thats a + too, so I chose ganon XD

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
people has suggested me that i gotta use fox, but id ont want to, luigi is too nice, i like luigi from super nintendo, i dont know why but i just want to play always with him, so i use him, i have a secondary called marth.. and soooometimes i use fox, im using bowser because i have liked it from the beggining too, but thats all, ill always play with luigi..

Roorii

Smash Rookie
Hmmm.. I've always been more of a local player, never been a part of a HUGE board, so I've never heard things about Shiek before.. so I'll ask..
How come everyone thinks she's cheap?
I mean, I know she's good.. but cheap? I just don't see it

red stone

Smash Ace
sheik is cheap because her fair is way too strong. also she has ridiculous tilt combos. plus she's fast. at lower levels of play with a smart player, she is at the top

Roorii

Smash Rookie
sheik is cheap because her fair is way too strong. also she has ridiculous tilt combos. plus she's fast. at lower levels of play with a smart player, she is at the top
Strangely enough they're most of the reasons I play as her. :laugh:

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I started playing SSB64 again recently (10 hour SSB64 smash-a-thons over night at a friend's house FTW) and I switched my main from Mario to Captain Falcon and it just worked for me (partly because of the spike). I had been using Doc for a while on Melee because I was tired of Marth, and then I switched to Captain Falcon and realized the potential of the Knee. I've been playing Melee more than ever now.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
The big tank Ganondorf became my main character when my friend suggested me to try out an all-rounded powerhouse. I guess in my opinion, slow and steady is as effective as the quickness

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
I used to always main Kirby. Dunno why. I just used him when I first was playing Smash and it became a habit. Plus I was begining to become undefeated with him...
:kirby:
I did use Link for a short while at one point as well... love the dair :laugh:
:link:
I tried using Pikachu for a while, but I sucked big time as him...
:025:
Im now trying to get to grips with using Samus. In brawl, the transformation from what she is now to the light and speedy ZSS via FS opens up possibilities for new stratergies. Im trying to figure out how to use her best in Melee at the moment. Im ok with her.
:samus:
Still, I like Sammi, but I own with the Kirbmeister

daytripper

Smash Cadet
When I was a wee lil' noob I used Marth, not even realized how good he was. Then I played Falco for a bit since I liked his combo ability. And now I moved onto Captain Falcon, because... look at his incredibly manly he is!

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a concrete main, but if anything it would be G&W.

He has unpredictability on him and he was different than the rest. I like how he has no distinguishable features other than that big nose.

khold

Smash Apprentice
I've been using mario since ssb, and I'm drawn to him again this time around. so I mained him for a while, and that's when I found ganny and soon after fell in love with his jab.

still use mario though, and I switch every so often between the two.

EDIT: and my third man changes constantly, as I've been experimenting with the other fighters.

Frogla

Smash Ace
Well in 64 i would always use

:025:
cuz i was a fanatic but after long time playing melee i went to
:jigglypuff:

Hawk_Man

Smash Rookie
It's weird. I kind of drift from character to character. At first, I carried over my godly Ness skills to SSBM from SSB. After a while, I started using the Ice Climbers and got pretty good. Then, I unlocked and started using Marth, and, once again, got pretty good with him (first character I beat Event Match 51 with!!) then, I started playing Ganondorf. He's my main, but I've taken a good solid break from this game...because the disk can't be read (:()

Banks

Smash Hero
i wanted to be gay and chaingrab ppl so i chose sheik, before i realized ice climbers woulda been better

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
God came to me in a dream and said.
"Sinz! Thou shalt be sexy and all kinds of greatness with Captain Falcon! Ye shall be amazing. God has spoken now do my will!"

It was a wet dream.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Fox for me. I started on Link because as a new player Link seemed easy to get to grips with - my friend suggested I try him to start with and I've always liked Zelda games anyway. Then I unlocked Ganondorf and thought "cool" so I played as him a bit. Then moved on to Young Link for some strange reason. I still wasn't really "feeling" any of the characters...

I needed a character with Style. I love style in any game, and in real life really.

Went for Falco. Falco was cool, I liked some of his moves, but he still didn't feel right. I liked his recovery but he didn't seem to agree with my fingers and how they liked to operate. I was looking at videos and I saw Zelgadis' Shined Blind I was like "he's like Falco but different". So I started trying Fox and he just fitted my play style so well.

I was like "whoa, this guy is cool!" I can like recover and look all cool about it, I got wall-jumps for added "cool" and I can use a certain shiney move which ***** all...

Oh and Pikachu fits into that somewhere. Dunno where.

And if that wasn't enough- you can give him an orange jacket. Now that, my friends, is cool!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the first player i picked on melee was ness, cuz i liked the sound his baseball bat made.
one day i picked up marth, and started owning all my friends with him..c stick c stick c stick.

then i found smashboards, and learned how to make marth extra sexy.
then i decided to play roy one day, and I like him better because he fell faster, and i wasn't stuck in the air when i did full jumps.

i'm still torn, because marth is super sexy and gots combos like nobodys business.
but i like how roy feels better...he just dies way too easily

Roorii

Smash Rookie
God came to me in a dream and said.
"Sinz! Thou shalt be sexy and all kinds of greatness with Captain Falcon! Ye shall be amazing. God has spoken now do my will!"

It was a wet dream.
And there was much Falcon Punching.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
i chose samus because I've been always a big fan of the metroid games (and i love the missles), and I also use jiggs because puffballs are fun to play =D

D

Deleted member

I was playing Pikachu and Samus from SSB, with Fox as secondary, so I started with Pikachu... but that wasn't fun, since I was getting punished for long recoveries from aerials (Before I knew about L-Cancelling, etc) (and after they stopped running into my smashes)... so I started Samus, with off and on success... then I'm like **** that... so I picked Roy because he was more powerful (How wrong I was back then XD), and that worked for a bit... then I saw Zelgadis... then switched to Fox... then I saw all sorts of crazy **** that Fox could do, and that's how it went... I think...

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Roy was my casual character. The switch to Marth in the competitive environment is...self-explanatory. Also play Ganon as second main in tribute of a friend of mine.

Jose Andres Herrera

Smash Cadet
Finding my main was difficult, I tryed out many characters but I just didn't feel satisfied.

So what I did was to choose Sheik, because of her combo ability, speed, and chain grab.
I also main Ganon because he is hard to knockout, has a long recovery, chain grab, and is
very powerful. :)

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Well I mained fox since ssb, mostly cuz i liked SF64, and because after trying many characters he was my best. I came to melee, got beat by a sheik (this was all when i lived in n00b land) tried sheik. Then i had sheik and fox as my main. Now i have practiced with many characters and i go Fox/Falco because i am a technical character and i find that if i cant win aggressive, i can always gayser spam. My third main is marth, and marth is usually my favorite character to play with. Either him or falco. In friendlies i dislike fox, but something turns on when i go into tourney play with fox, and all of a sudden, i enjoy using fox a lot. Thats bout it Peace!!!

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
i used to main kirby because of ssb64 when he was an unstoppable maelstrom of pink destruction. so when i got a hold of melee, it was all black and white (aka: steamboat) kirby. so what if he wasnt as good? i had kirbycide down to a friggin artform. again, i towered above the local scene with my now black and white marshmallow of murder.

until marth... *sigh*

then, one day, a marvelous thing happened. i also play street fighter alpha 3 and marvel vs capcom 2 (mainly sfa3, tho) on a competitive level. i was watching come akuma/gouki combo videos and thought it would be fun to see if perhaps there were any ssbm vids. i didnt even know there was a tourney scene at this time. the things i saw that day were marvelous. i didnt even know what to do with myself. i saw the greats that invented portions of the metagame. tipman, bob$, king, isai, and many more. but then there was forward. forward's amazing abilities influenced me to pick up falco, and it's been magic ever since. bob$/smashmac, vidjo, and king are what made me pick up doc, peach and puff as my secondaries, respectively.

[edit] i also chose kirby bc it was my favorite NES game of all time. hence why i'll be picking up metaknight as my main for brawl, him be my favorite nintendo character.

phoenix67042

Smash Cadet
ok lets see.......My first main was bowser........i kinda sucked so i went to link, I ruled............but then did the change to Ganondorf, then to Y link, THEN to Mew 2, THEN back to Y. link...............and no matter what I did I couldn't beat ANY of my friends...........so I started going to random characters and finnally found my one true main!!!!!!!!!!...................................................JIGGLYPUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!only real challenges I have are a couple friends of mine who's a (good) counter-happy Marth and an awesome aiming Samus.....

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to prove to my friend that Zelda form was a good character and you didn't always have to be Sheik. But then I realized I was wrong, but I just liked Sheik's fast style and I had been looking for a main for a while.

Before then I was Roy HE'S JUST LIKE MARTH BUT HE HAS THE FIRE!!

Darth Vader

Smash Rookie
I chose Doc because I had read a lot about what his character was like (when a character from a simple Tetris game suddenly becomes a character in a fighting game, it sort of intrigues you) and it became clear to me that he was better than Mario, whom I thought had nice moves but wasn't for me. So I tried Doc and next thing you know he's my main.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
i started with falcon last year, then moved to doc just get more "easy kills." then i moved back to falcon cuz i thought i did better with him than with doc. also, i dont want to pick a character that has alot of unique techniques like Fox or Link cuz im lazy like that

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Back in ssb C.falcon was my main. I look back and im pretty sure i chose him for the speed.

When melee came out so many years ago, I tried him again, and found out to my demise that he seemed to suck against the higher teir characters, because I got combo'ed badly. So I thought, If I can't beat 'em, join 'em. I took up Falco and started beating all my friends with him, until one day one of them who also mains Falco decided to take it to the next level...competitive gameplay. He was the first person I've ever seen do SHL and Pillar iwith Falco. I was blown away by this because he whooped me every time we fought.

Well, back then I had no idea of what competive melee was..hadn't been to a single tourney...and I think out of all the techs, I only knew short hop. So I read up on it, learned the techs, especially SHFFLing...and then I saw the combo vids of C. Falcon online. Nair to Uair to knee... Dair to knee.. I was instantly hooked--and I went back to C. Falcon and mained him ever since.

Top Bottom