• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
my main is marth but before it was link then fox.
i stopped using link because i was horrible with him so i moved to fox.
i still use fox but not often as my brother came up with stratagies to counter mine with his ganondorf so i decided to use marth as he doesnt have counter stragedies for marth and i can play him fairly well.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I like Pichu because he sucks. That means if I lose, it's ok because he sucks, and if I win, it's even better because he sucks.

I like Fox because I'm a shinespike addict and being fast is fun.

I like the ICs because they're not played as often and they're really fun with the desynching and stuff.

D20

Smash Lord
How I chose my main...

I was feeling the need to be different one day, and I said to myself... "Who the **** uses Young Link?"

Now, I main blue Young Link, and I have regretted that choice for the last year. Why couldn't I have just picked blue Marth like everyone else?

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I main Falco for singles because all of my friends are super aggressive and I need to fight that. That, and I liked his play style when I got into higher levels of play.

For doubles I got sick of being gimped as Falco by my friends and thought "Screw this, I need someone with recovery and/or that is hard to combo." Peach ftw.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
I main Ice Climbers because I used them when learning how to wavedash. My secondary, Sheik would be my main, if it were not for the fact that Ice Climbers generally do better for me at tournaments.

Repryx

Smash Champion
I main Falco for singles because all of my friends are super aggressive and I need to fight that. That, and I liked his play style when I got into higher levels of play.

For doubles I got sick of being gimped as Falco by my friends and thought "Screw this, I need someone with recovery and/or that is hard to combo." Peach ftw.
And has a Cheap D-smash

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
My main is now and always has been doc. When i firsted started playing smash competitively i was a complete smash scrub. Then i read some smash article in nintendo power title "Smash Planet" it said the best player in FC3 used a combination of marth, ganondorf, and doc. I had no idea this was the famous Ken at the time...so i didnt like marth or ganon so i went with the doc and just crammed everything i could about him. And i just love his style of playing it just feels right. I have switched secondaries over time but doc has always remained in my game. I guess I would owe it all to Ken...even tho he really doesnt play doc =P

Marty

Smash Apprentice
He was stronger than Mario, and essentially the same in other respects. The choice was obvious.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
captain falcoN!!! not only becuase hes the fastest character in the game but becuase he is way to strong to have so much speed. he has the coolest Nair in the game, the best Fair(THE UNSTOPABLE KNEE) and (show me ya moves) ataunt that can be done at least 4 time before your oppenent comes back to fight, and becuase al his moves combo into eachother, and becuase he is just so cool

Bedfell0w

Smash Rookie
I picked Sheik because she's really fast (wait he? I can never remember Sheik's gender lol). Anyway, I seemed to play with Sheik best when I was a newb and I just like fast characters. Then I started messing around with Doc for some unkonwn reason (maybe I was addicted to the pills?)

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
I started off with Captain falcon, then went to Ganon after unlocking him. playing with Ganon didn't feel the same and I did terrible till i went back to Captain. I didn't even know about tiers so I was pleasantly suprised when i found he was higher tier

damage incorperated

Smash Apprentice
played ness in ssb, then went to fox when melee came out. last year my friend showed me some vids so i researched all i wanted to

i tried everything i could with each char, and as i get better i apply whatever i learn to every char. also i play every char with friends, and try others and my own combos on cpus. if people want tips for cpus, best are fox, falco, marth, peach, samus, doc, g&w, pikachu, link, ylink. fox/falco are easiest for applying new techniques

i most like fast chars that arent too floaty. favs in order: marth, fox, shiek, falco, falcon, luigi, g&w. i dont care about being unique and i dont care about being the best there u go

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
I used to main Mr. G&W but my friends would kick my *** when ever I played with him but I have gotten better with him. Seriously, my main char is Pikachu, mostly because the transition from the 64 to melee was the easiest to make. That and my friends don't like losing to Pikachu, which makes playing him even more fun. Tail spike ftw.

$hYne

Smash Ace
Germany, but i dont use this account anymore, my n
I had really problems choosing my main .
At first i went for Link, Ylink, Falco, Roy, Marth, Falco, Sheik, Falco .

As i started playin Smash more seriously i stayed Falco, cuz idk i just had most
practise with him but i felt pretty uncomfortable with him .
This was the time i cathed eye with Jiggz .

Jiggs was considered pretty week from my friends, they were like down b dosen´t
do any damage , and jiggs dies like 60 % .

i trained a bit with her and i was not good yet but ok .
(Falco was still my main, jiggly was seccond )

After we smashed with a few other local smashers i didn´t knew before i realized that the
falco of that other guy was better then mine ( maybe just because he SHL´ed )

So i dropped Falco and gone for Jigglypuff as main and Falco/sheik seccond .
Another guy (who was better than me at that time (i 3 stock him now) ) saw me playin
jiggz and picked her as main too.

Here i had a problem : he was better with jiggz than me and the other guy was better than
falco , so i didn´t know who to pick ? (sheik ? no my friends sheik was way better than mine >.< )

I choose Jigglypuff cuz i mained her first and i was sure that i can beat the other guy
with a bit of practise .

Yeah that was my start of playin advanced ssbm .
Everything i leard about advanced techniques i learnd with jiggs.
And she will be my main until i stop playin melee ^^

D4mn this is fukcin 2 long

Edit: my english SUCKS

smashking06

Smash Rookie
my main is mario since ssb64 I just liked the way he played. when i started to play ssb64 my cousin and my neighboor used to own me with kirby i eventually found a way to beat them with mario and i havent turned my back on him eversince , my second is link. I still play with these two in melee as my main characters and if im in a tourny Ill rely on those two most of the time.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
My friends trained me and I was fairly well at smash in one point but OVERLY newbie in every stats on the game, mechanics, character ability's etc, I was only good at playing marth, I picked him because of well.... his cape ^^;.

Later on (still being the n00b) I picked peach because she could hit with a frying pan and because I thought she sucked and it'd be fun to own people with her....

and I...kinda.. well... found out she was lord's mistress raining over smash-earth ^^;

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
i started with bowser. i got really good at him too...then i tried link and i was like:"screw bowser."
after honing link for all the time after that...i look back and i'm like:"wat a noob i was to pick bowser!"
(no offense to gimpyfish)
now my main is link and my secondaries are marth; falco; and sheik. i'm still actually ok w/bowser.

jambre

Smash Apprentice
Started of with bowser, then went to link and captain falcon. once i had unlocked marth i was him, then i got roy and was like omg flames, and then found out he was worse. eventually i had mastery over most chars and my friends made me be dk or bowser to make it 'fair' so i eventually managed to do better with them than most other characters

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
I tried fox since my friends all mained him, but i was terrible. So then i tried sheik, since a few of my friends used her. but again i was bad. so then i tried Falcon and he worked out for me, since now I own my Marth maining friend

ProNoob

Smash Cadet
Well, back in SSB, I used Fox all the time, but I was a complete scrub.
In the beginning of this summer I used C. Falcon, but still was a scrub.
Down-B spam was my best move back then, but things changed.
In all my frustration in getting hit with Roy's f-smash, I discovered this magic called "Smash Boards" and realized how bad I was.
lol
Tried many different characters, but only the muscle bound Captain Falcon came back to me.
With my newfound knowledge of SSBM, I have yet to show my friends "The Knee".

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
Up until comparatively recently, I consider Fox my best character. All of my friends had trouble matching his speed. The first tournament I entered, I got away with that for a couple of matches before I ran afoul of someone who had my number. Added to that, when I read up on Fox, I realized that I knew absolutely nothing about Fox and stopped using him.

Basically the same story with Marth, whom I had considered my alternate character.

It was then that I started using Young Link seriously; he had a lot of interesting moves I liked and nobody else I knew used him. (I hate sharing characters.) I improved plenty with Young Link, but did poorly on my second tournament, mainly owing to my inability to finish opponents.

Over the previous summer, I learned how to wavedash and picked up Luigi as my main, while keeping Young Link as my alternate and imroving on my L-cancel, as well as using a wide varietly of moves straight out of his shield.

The day before my most recent tournament (yesterday), I played against one of my more experienced friends; he observed the style of Young Link that I played and suggested I try his older counterpart. I did, and I liked him due to his superior reach, recovery, and ability to kill with his ^B, which I liked to use out of my shield. I now had three characters I could use.

The day of the tournament, I got 4-stocked twice as Luigi in warmups, which pretty much ended my use of him. Throughout the tournament, I could never really decide wether to use the older or younger Link. It really didn't seem to matter; I almost always lost by one life either way.

As of now, I usually switch between Link and Young Link every other match. I'd consider myself equally good with either one.

This topic probably didn't call for my career's story, but oh well. First day on this board, consider this an introduction.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My main is Marth and I started playing as him because nobody knew about Fire Emblem and this kid at my friend's party kept spamming Roy's up+B and saying Roy is more useful.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I main two characters really. Sheik because she's the closest thing to a ninja in SSBM and needles are cool. And samus because the metroid games are by far my favorite games out there... and she's hot. Hot chicks that kick butt...

craiigg

Smash Lord
3 Mains and 2 Alternates:

Falco, because of his ability to control matches with lasers, easy combos and pretty speedy in the right hands

Marth, recently i think my marth is my new best. Anyone wearing a tiara with blue hair and a sicknasty sword owns tbh. Obv tipos chaingrabs his dashdance and edgeguarding options = win

Shiek, easy combos, versatile, recovery, needles and SHES A NINJA.

Alts are fox and CF just for the fun XD

miller483

Smash Ace
3 Mains:

Doc: I originally mained Mario on the account that he's my favorite Nintendo character, but once I unlocked the Doc and saw his pills, I was sold.

Shiek: I picked her up about 2 years ago and I'm doing pretty well.

Roy: Because my favorite word is "fire" and my 2 least favorite words are "spacing" and "tipper" (But I still got love for Marth mains;);).)

AzureKiteSky

Smash Cadet
I've played Marth for the longest time. Beofre playing smash, I'll admit i knew next to nothing of the fire emblem series. when I unlocked him he just really stood out as being somewhat unique compare to other characters, and i really got used to his fast-flowing attack style. Incidentally, this has made me considerably worse when using characters such as Fox, or Sheik.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
I picked Falco because not only is Star Fox my second favorite franchise, Falco is my favorite video game character! XD

I was a Fox user till I found out Falco was in Melee and I was so happy! :D Since he was a clone, getting use to him was simple ^^ But what I've always preferred of Falco over Fox, is Falco's high jump. The way I fight focuses on me jumping to dodge and attack, and Falco was perfect for me ^_^

HZ514

Smash Cadet
I don't exactly remember since it was so long ago, but I do know that I enjoyed playing with Ganondorf for as long as I remember playing. I always got a couple laughs when a friend told me he was too slow and I would kill them without breaking a sweat.

Yoshi1999

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I can't really remember. But I based my mains off of who I played best with, not who I thought was cool. Luckily, my mains are cool B]

StarIceRaptor

Smash Cadet
I main with Fox most of the time simply because SF is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises and also because I like his infinite combos. I occasionally use Falco, and also use Marth most of the time because of how easy he is to use/be good with.

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon and Samus, because I just happen to be good with em. And besides, once you hear "Show me ya moves!" You know you're done.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I was learning to play Homerun Contest over at GFaqs, and I ran across this fun character whose up smash does 39% uncharged. Eventually I got the hang of his double-jump bat drops and sent the bag nearly 4000 feet, beating out all of my other scores at the time by a wide margin. His u-smash and dair grew on me, and I started applying the speed I learned from HRC to turn his raw power against other people.

And in case you still haven't figured it out, I main Ganon >_>

Top Bottom