• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
2001: when i got SSBM, i continued to play with kirby just b/c i loved using him in SSB. sure, he was nerfed, but i still enjoyed using him.

2002-2005: it wasnt until a few years later where i decided i wanted to play someone different. it was basically between mario, fox, and link. i didnt know about the tier list or advanced techs yet. also, i spent most of this time thinking while playing HRC. i got my high score to +50,000 (my roomie deleted it though :urg:)

2005: it wasnt until i saw shined blined where i started to get to know more about the tier list and how awesome fox was. and since i had been "practicing" l-cancelling from HRC, it made picking up fox a little easier than the average noob :cool:. also, once i started learning about advanced techs, i finally found someone to play who was willing to get as good as me.

2005-2006: went to college and found lots of people who were almost as good as me. because i had been beating everyone on my floor too often, i decided to give myself a handicap and pick up kirby again :laugh:.

2006-present: i now main fox and second kirby ^_^.

DoubleAced

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, let's see...

When I first got Melee, I only played it casually. I didn't know anything about tournaments or any advanced techniques, so I basically sucked. I mained with Game & Watch because I thought he was cool looking. After awhile, my suckage got boring, and I quit playing. After about a year or so, my friend came over and we decided to pop the game in. I had previously erased all of Melee's memory from my card, so we only had the primary characters. I just chose Pikachu because I remembered he was decent from back when I used to play. After winning each of the battles, I decided to stick with him. After he left, I had a strange craving to keep playing, so I did. It was then that I found out about MLG through YouTube. I was searching for videos, when I came across one featuring PC Chris and Ken. After watching them, I realized how awesome the game was. I started training with Pikachu and played the game more and more often. After finally unlocking everything on my new memory card, I started playing around with G&W again, too. He became my secondary.

I guess that's how it happened.

SSBfan55

Smash Rookie
I kinda just played and finally chose who fit my play style the best. Right now I main Marth and Fox as my secondary. I also just play with others when I get bored playing with either one of them.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I used to play Melee at friends houses, and didn't really play as anyone but Pikachu, Captain Falcon, and Jigglypuff. All I did back then was spam Thunder, Falcon Punch, and Rollout. Back then I thought rest was a useless move that didn't do any damage whatsoever.

I ended up buying SSB64 because I lacked a Gamecube at the time. I got pretty good with Pikachu and Captain, but I still spammed specials a bit too much.

A friend of mine then showed me exactly what happens when you rest someone whilst touching them. A mario CPU went shooting off the platform and died. Thats when I picked up Jiggs in the original.

I didn't pick her up in Melee, thinking that rest was nearly impossible to pull off, because I had a hard time transitioning with the speed of the game.

I finally got a Gamecube and a copy of Melee February 2006, and practiced with Rest. I got it to connect after a few tries, and watching the opponent soar into the sky, flaming and smoking, I began to like Jigglypuff all the more.

Then in August of 2006, I saw the Advanced How to Play video on Youtube. I picked up the advanced techs, and though, "well, that seems useless for Jiggs".

Then I saw King's "Rollout" combo video, and finally saw exactly what Jigglypuff was capable of. I started maining her whenever I went to tournaments, and have never gotten bored of her playstyle.

And to think, I never would've picked up Jiggs if it weren't for my friend showing me Rest.

K.O. Master

Smash Rookie
I main in Mario and secondary in Captain Falcon
I didn't main untill I beat All-star with all characters...

soaz

Smash Ace
i have been playing with items since 2001 but recently (like half a year ago)i saw the mlg finals between ken and pc.And i really liked what i saw that made me want to learn more about smash.Then i saw some videos of bombsoldier and i thought that he was amazing(like pc)so i decided to play as falco.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Fox was my main in SSB64, and it carried on over here. In every fighting game I play, I generally go for characters with potential in this order: infinites, speed, mind games, wall, power.

Jem.

Smash Master
I play Falco because I've always liked the Star Fox series, and don't want to be like the other 9000 who play Fox. Plus for some reason I cant constantly waveshine with Fox like I can Falco.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
I started unlocking characters and trying everybody out. I really liked Mario, so I played some 1p with him, and unlocked Doctor Mario. I tried out Doctor Mario and found I really liked the way he played. I experimented with their differences in Training mode for a while, and discovered Doctor Mario was like my favorite character, except better. So I started using him for various things and ended up getting pretty good with him.

There's still room for improvement, though. I need to work on my wavedashing a bit, and my JC grabbing a lot. Other than that, I've been getting better and better since 2001. Albeit very, very slowly.

Chris7x

Smash Cadet
Well not too long ago I went to a tourny at my friends house and got destroyed using mario... When everything calmed down I accidentally picked doc and then started winning matches... Then I saw bob$'s combo video and was really impressed. To this day I mastered doc imo and i'm ready to go back to tournys again. And I picked mario/doc mario because mario was always my favorite when I was little.

pi3

Smash Apprentice
i first started playing link because he was just awesome in ocarina of time but was to slow

so i picked up fox

that was well b4 i new about tiers

turned out he was one of the best charcters and his shine is to killer XD

and ive used him ever since

and gimpyfish u would own me nyday with ur bottom tier bowser, ur awesome

GOTM

Smash Champion
fox because after the first time i got shine spiked, i realized i wanna do that. now im more focused on bigger and better things, lol

capncone

Smash Apprentice
Well, I started playing ssbm as Kirby, because i played him in SSB. Then, I switched to Roy, because HE HAS FIREE!!1! Then, when my friend kept beating me with marth, I thought, Marth is pretty much the same as roy, I'll just switch and automatically get better. About 2 months ago I was playing friendly and messed around with capt. Falcon, and I really liked him, so there you have it.

Main: Marth
Second:Capt. Falcon

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
Hmm, lets see...

2001: First getting smash, I was stoked to play Fox again, since I'm a big fan of the series plus I just loved the looks of fox's move set. I had no clue about competitive play at this time and just enjoyed being a noob.

2004: Still a noob I stopped playing smash, still unaware of competitive play.

2006: I start playing smash again, just learning about the competitive environment. Still unaware to tiers being a noob to advanced playing, I pick fox up again and watch vids of mew2king and ken. I think it's cool and try to learn. I try and fail, then read somewhere on these boards that fox is one of the harder characters to master due to the quickness and technical skill required for him. I get discouraged by this and switch to falco who was similar.

2006-2007: I get better with Falco, IC and Doc, starting to get advanced, wavedashing, shl, shffling, etc. I had no plans on going back to fox, still skeptical about the skill needed for him.

2007: I decide randomly to play with Fox again since he was always my favorite, and find that after learning advanced techs on Falco, switching to fox was a cinch. I now still main my fox and can't go back to falco because the timing is too hard for me to keep on both characters. XD Tiers mean nothing when it comes to pride in your favorite character.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
I used to play roy because of how his explody neutral b worked on cpus on very easy in classic. then i got more serious and picked up marth because roy was too slow for me. then i saw ken fight and ive stayed with marth ever since

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
I picked marth because before I started playing seriously I mained Roy and then I saw the Tier list. Yup Im a tier *****.

sexysanta73

Smash Apprentice
I main Fox, and honestly can't think of any solid reason I do so other than the fact that he's a great character whose play style seems to suit me. :dizzy:

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
I main Bowser because i always loved the character, and mained him from the beginning. I dont care how terrible he is, because i'll still fight with him.

pirate-404

Smash Cadet
Tier list.

...What? Don't look at me that way! I had no preference as to what character to play, so I figured I'd just pick whoever was at the top of the tier list.

ZimR

Smash Rookie
First I mained Fox, because of his speediness and because of CunningKitsune's guide.
But then I read somewhere that Falco is like Fox but with more attack power and combo's, so I started maining him and I still do.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I picked up Falco as a tourney main because of the FC3 videos.
Not because of any PC Chris vids or anything; because of Mathos.
Mathos' lasers were too good. So good, in fact, I picked Falco.
60+ damage from shooting lasers sounded pretty good.

Sky-Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
I choose Mario as my most frequent selected caracter, as I feel I can handle balanced out characters best, not forgetting hes awsome overall.

I also love Pikachus agility and powerful electricity attacks. Although Im always flying across the stage taking a serious beating, his third jump takes up a good amount of distance.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
I've gone through many many mains. The three that I stayed as for a long time, though, were Falco, IC's, and Sheik in that order. Before explaining how I ended up with those characters, I want to say that I've always loved Ninja-stuff, air combat, and technical stuff.

I picked Falco up initially because he had pretty good aerials and could jump the highest in the game. Then I learned about SHL. Soon I was maximum pwnage among my friends. After a while, though, I just got bored and started not playing as well, I needed something to freshen up the game again...
...then one day, I was just screwing around with my friend, and we both tried IC's, and we both started maining them. We went beserk and looked up everything about them. I stuck with them and seeing the flashy stuff Chudat could do. My friend quit them for Samus a few days after I started IC's though.
We could play together well for awhile, but once he got his bearings with Samus, I got *****. I started desperately trying to find alternative characters and such, maining many people but I never got "great" with anyone...
... then I did a random match and tried Sheik. Before, I sucked with Sheik, she just didn't work for me. But I had a lucky match and was able to play like a ninja. Not to mention she has great aerials and I love harassing people with needles.

All in all, ninjas FTW.

Mawnkey

Smash Rookie
i don't got a main, i rlly want 1, but i dont know who to choose, keep stepping from char to char, 1 day, i own with peach, pwned my friend just too hard, the next day, they owned me X_X
too bad, not too many tournaments in the netherlands so i cant try chars against other ppl, =( can some1 plz help met find a character or something XD :p lal

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
i switched my main 3 times pikachu was the first from ssb bc he was the quickest character then switched to fox in melee same bc of quickness but didn't come 2 like him so now i main marth and am getting pretty good with him...sadly its too late bc brawl is here and i can't get it :'(. Hope marth's in brawl when every i do get it

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
Bowser, cause he's the cutests and fortress owns.I mained falco for a while but my group sucked so i was like I might as well use my favorite character in the entire universe. Falco wasnt fun for me.

puffy007

Smash Rookie
my very first main was kirby, mainly because i was like 2439857 and 7 with him on ssb64... then i realized i was getting beat down every match, so i went to fox cuz thats who was beating me half the time... then i decided to be original and play the field, and i found the doc just felt right. and shiek is just plain fast, so shes my 2nd

SantaClaus

Smash Apprentice
I started melee with fox becuase I loved him in SSB64 and loved his speed and shine [mainly played with items on very high back then]

Kept on with fox, got into the SWF scene as an all-time lurker and realized that fox was considered the "best" character in the game according to the tier list.

After trying to incorporate the techs into my fox game with no avail, I picked up on falco [also grew to love the stun one could achieve from his blaster].

The rest, as they say, is history.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I main Young Link simply because I can and want to. He is my favorite character. With Brawl, I will definitely repent and main a variety of characters. >_<

And Gimpy, you spelled "character" wrong in the topic name. >_<

cubican62

Smash Cadet
best games ever=LOZ=Link main but im on the verge of switching my main to C. Falcon cause of his speed and combo ability which is more of my style rather than my Links projectile-based game.

Top Bottom