• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

Sandy

Smash Champion
As the clone of Fox, Falco has the same types of moves. Fox is much faster than Falco, but Falco is a much higher jumper. His Reflector shield can reflect any projectile attack, including items thrown at him. When things bounce off the Reflector shield, they come back with twice the strength. Falco's Blaster is stronger than Fox's and makes people flinch.

That's why I like him.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing seriously for only 2 months or so. After being introduced to this site, I started with Fox to learn as much new tech as possible. As cool as Fox is, Marth's combos just really impressed me and Kizzu is the nuts. Now it's main Marth but Fox is a great backup to turn to.

Sodapop

Smash Apprentice
I chose Ganondorf because his fighting style feels most comfortable for me. Power, but finesse. Know what I mean? Also, he is my favorite Nintendo villain.;)

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've personally always been drawn to characters that seem to be forgotten. (i.e. in soul calibur, I rock with voldo, and in tekken: Gun jack) So since day 1 of SSB64 I've been playing Donkey Kong hardcore. The beastly giant punch is so sweet to unleash on unsuspecting players during a free for all. I always think it's fun to play people that are 100% convinced my character sucks, only to crush them.
Yeah...hardcore DK all the way!

Repryx

Smash Champion
I I wanted to use Mewtwo because he killed Ash and he's cool. But Alas Being a Noob and my current rival (who had me by 3 years in experience) used Fox. And everyone else in school just beat me and they were all noobs. So I'm like...W.....T.....F. I moved thru the WHOLE roster except for jiggly cuz I dont like her a stumbled on Falco. I wasnt that good but I had a knack for spikeing all other noobs and pretty soon the upper rank kids. then I saw Bombsoldier and realized that I may have the potential to be that good in ... 1 1/2 year (please? c'mon!) So I played and made up moves and discovered combos and taught myself all I could in Falcos existance. Now Im second only to my rival and I beat him once every 4 fights currently. Most kids in school hate the bird because in 5 months he flew past 'em all. Even plays doubles with his rival to make team Ksquared (Kaze&Kush).

Who said Falco couldnt fly?

Mar~

Smash Apprentice

Last edited:

SSBZalamander

Smash Cadet
I chose fox way back in the first smash and just stuck with him all the way through because his speed and adaptability suits me perfectly, plus my timing on th reflector is basically flawless,(so much that my friends are usually to scared to use items on me HEHE)

hyyde

Smash Rookie
As a n00b I mained fox, but once I was introduced to the world of competitive smash I switched to Yoshi. My poor fingers can't keep up with teh fawx. Yoshi, on the other hand, seems to feel "right." Plus he's been my favourite nintendo character since I was 4.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I play Samus because...
I played Samus in Smash64.
I played her there because...
Super Metroid is like, the best game ever.
That and gunslingers > all.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I play Zelda for the same reason as Gimpy plays Bowser. I was thrilled beyond belief that they would put the princess in the game. I could never have dreamed she would be in a fighting game. I play Sheik as well, because I consider her part of the same character.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Well it all started when I first learned about wavedashing and I wanted to use Luigi because he was the easiest to wavedash with, but even after watching some Luigi videos I still couldn't really get the feel to play him. When I was playing with my friend one day he asked me why I played Luigi and didn't try Ice Climbers because Ice Climbers did fit me better. So I played a couple of games with Ice Climbers and actually did okay, so I started playing them behind Doc. Then I came on Smashboards and saw the Ice Climbers guides on wobbling and set out to be the cheapest player out of all my friends and that is where I am today.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i honestly forgot how i started playing falcon. it was so long ago that i guess it just forgot. i started playing jiggs with marth/peach as secondaries way back in the day, and somewhere along the line i just started going all falcon at tournies.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
wow, no comments on my ganon thing, I thought somebody would remember that. Anyway, I seriously main falco because of the ken v bomsoldier vids I saw way back when

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My very first main in this game before I knew advanced tactics was Link...after awhile I didn't like him that much so I went to Roy..then I figured out that marth was better and went marth while my friend who I played with went sheik..this was back when the game first came out and me and my friend had no idea about advanced tactics...We went to a gamecrazy tournament and my friend got 1st and I got 2nd. So we thought we were good...then I saw wavedashing on gamefaqs and learned how to do it and shhfl before going to TGA(3rd coast gaming invitational) I ended up getting last place and realized that I was horrible at this game.

For the next couple of years or so I used marth while having fox as I secondary after watching others play fox so well. I learned almost all the advanced techs with marth and did pretty well at a tourny in some friendlys with marth even though my fox failed horribly. Once I finnally learned how to waveshine well I for some reason picked up samus and marth was a thing of the past.

I learned samus very fast and got good with her as well. Not to long ago a good number of people said I was the best samus in texas next to caveman. Then majoras and some other samus players started to get really good and majoras has been horribly ****** my samus recently so I have pretty much been going only fox. I play almost every character and in tournament use Samus, Fox, Doc, Kirby, IC, Marth, Falco and some others but mainly fox now. I love being technical and overwhelming my opponents.

So yeah..thats how I came to use fox >_>...

darknesszero

Smash Rookie
I've had a fascination with sword-users and I started off with Link in SSB64. I was sort of an average player with him, but I got a few good victories every once in a while, so I stuck with him.

My cousin then introduced me to Melee, and on my first go, I was quickly beaten by his Sheik, but back then, we were only using n00b tactics, and he got the better of me. I managed to own a Cube and a copy of Melee, and I immediately went around unlocking everything within a good week and few days of summer.

Then I came upon Roy.

...and damage ratio 2.0. Up+B was an instant KO at that level, and I repeatedly spammed it on my friends, but I noticed I would fail immensely at 1.0. But over a few days of getting used to that setting, I managed to make significant comebacks and grew to main Roy.

Then I was asked to finish Event 41 (En Garde!, which I've already done on my save file), and it took me a good few hours of getting beat by a CPU that controlled my first main, and I realized I got lucky on my save. Somehow, I got used to Marth's style, speed, and rhythm, that I ended up beating the event in 1:12:25 (yes, I know, it's a bit slow today). I started experimenting with Marth, and today, he is now my main, and the one character I'm beginning to unleash its potential with the plethora of advanced techniques that exist.

EvolveOrDie

Smash Cadet
When I first started playing the game in 2003 I played exclusively with Samus and I was a noob. I would play with my friends and at first I was the worst at the game even though I was the one of the best gamers in my group of friends. I don't own the game so I got to play it like 5 times over the course of about 2 years. I still sucked until my friend let me just try playing the game by myself for a couple of hours. In those two hours something clicked and I finally understood how your were supposed to play the game. My knowledge at the time was still extremely limited and I was still a noob but I could actually play the game. Over the next year I quickly rose to the pinnacle among my friends (we don't actively establish or acknowledge how good we are comparatively) but then I discovered this website and was driven by my desire not to be the best but to push my own limits to continually get better, I wanted to see if there was an insurmountable wall and even if there was would it stop me. So I absorbed knowledge like a sponge I could apply very little of it but still it was in my head floating around (I neglect mastering wavedashing as it does not appeal to me currently). I would think of all the different ways to incorporate it into my play style since I could not train physically I trained my mind. Among my friends 1v1 my Samus was unbeatable when I was on my game so when I saw vids of Capt. Falcon I thought to myself do I want to harness the speed and the power, yes. So I picked up Falcon and since then my Samus has suffered she no longer feels right. I suspect I try to play her Falcon style which is wrong as I play my Falcon wrong (too much unchecked agression). So I currently main Falcon as to rein in my impulsive play style and become better once again. I plan to main Falco after Falcon to further build upon my abilities in smash and one day when I am ready I will once again main Samus. Also I play Luigi because it feels good and ness because old-school will never die. Wow I just kinda gave my entire smash history in one post crazy, my first post too.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I play Ganon main because I absolutely adore the Zelda series...I started playing Link at first but I switched cause my brother kept picking him and I didn't like using the same character. I then fell in love with his style and the power that comes with him. I suppose the big, heavy characters have always been my favorite anyway.

Binx

Smash Master
I started maining fox in ssb because of his bair, i thought it looked sexy as hell, I started using him when melee first came out and eventually found out that the best player in the world used marth so I figured I would give him a try, I fell in love, although so many effective techniques are being developed against Marth it isnt as fun as it used to be. I really like his weight and speed they fit me perfectly. However I think I am going to switch to ICs soon because I hate being grabbed, and if one gets grabbed the other runs up and punches your enemie in the face, so yeah.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I'll update my main choosing,

Link-Because he's freakin form the legend of zelda, the hero of time, weilder of the master sword, the keeper of the triforce of courage, anyway. A few years back I helped seal ganon away, oooh it was a feirce battle! But just recently ganondorf returned to hy....oops,

right right, but really, Link just because he's the hero of time, I still have a few seconds but in the end, I always do better with Link.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
In SSB64, I first mained Link since I just finished OoT.

Then I played SSBM for the first time at a friend's house and chose Roy since he had a cool looking sword. I mained Roy until around last December, when I realized that on a competetive level, Roy sucked. I now main Marth since he was easiest for me to pick up.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
When SSBM first came out, I went straight to Ness, but upon discovering that he had lost his SSB game, i went with Sheik, simply because the thought of a transvestite ninja princess excited me (don't deny).

I played with sheik for a number of years, thought I was awesome, and then i learned about advanced techniques (oh shame on me for being ignorant for so long). So I won a local tourney with my sheik, but then at the next tourney, I got SRSLY pwned by a very technical Falco, which made me rethink my entire life.

So it was then that I knew that I had to shed that dusty sheik-shell and become someone new. So I took a good look at the remaining characters, and decided that I should pick someone who's style most mirrored my own personality. Finally it dawned on me: I'm small, I'm fast, and most of all, I run up to people and decimate their faces with perfectly-executed backflips... FOX!!

Satoshi

Smash Rookie
Me being as lazy as I am, I was stuck with only a few characters for about a year... The original ones... Then, I finally bothered to unlock some, and then unlock the secret characters... Kind of jumping around in time, but anyways... Before I bothered to unlock anyone, I had played as Sheik, I was just big on the whole ninja idea... And the fact that she had the most moves thanks the the ability to transform... Did pretty well... But this was before I even know about air dodging... Let alone the extremely useful and technical moves... After experimenting with characters in the Regular Matches, I came upon new characters... Eventually I worked on training with Marth... Loved it... He's got the sword... He's got the pretty-boy style... And he's rich enough to wear a Rolex in his hair... (Idea courtesy of zack152)... Then I bothered to unlock the rest of the characters and came upon Roy... A Marth - the money and + the fire.... and + the fire... And that was it... I've mained Roy ever since... The idea that I get the chance to prove to many people who think Roy simply sucks wrong also catches my eye. ;P

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
I picked up Doc 2 weeks ago, and got abnormally good with him and raised him from 18th place on my mem card to 10th.
when I was little, I used to use Pikachu, Kirby, and Jigglypuff in SSB64.
in 2003, when I actually started getting serious, (when I obtained my own copy of SSB64) I carried on with Pikachu, and took up Fox. I later learned I like Falco better because of his spike and shine, so I wsitched, and Fox is now my 4th, after Falco.

1. Pikachu (my best is probably Doc, but I like using the yellow rat 845t4rd better)
2. Dr. Mario
3. Falco
4. Fox
5. name 5 people who are really good with more than 4 characters.
(hint: I'm not one of them)

there's your sign.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Well, I picked up my main because I went to this tournament where some punk named Gimpyfish beat me using forfeit mindgames. The whole experience made me realize that I had been stretching myself far too thin, trying to main 6 or more characters at one time and changing them every month or so. I knew how to play them all decently, but didn't even come close to excelling at any of them.

After the tournament, I sat down and did a careful analysis of all the different characters in an attempt to find one that best fit my playstyle. That character would become my sole main, whom I would dedicate all my efforts to improving as far as I could. No other characters would be in my way, and my game should significantly improve.

The character I ended up with was Pichu.

So, nearly all the Smash I play from here on is going to be spent improving my Pichu and prepping him for next month's tournament. Gimpy, if you read this, I'm coming for you next Gameclucks!

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Good luck fighting Gimpy...Bowser is pretty deadly when used correctly. But in order to give you a heads up check out some of his vids on youtube. Study him up and when you play him try your best to pwn him. It won't be easy tho :p

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
I love the whole idea of Royal Swordsmen, so the one that fitted this catagory best (Roy or Marth) was a must for me. I guess I picked Marth because he was a little more graceful.

However, I started to play Flaco as a secondary since I watched some BS/PC Chris vids. So rediculously f;asy you GOTTA play him.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Well, I picked up my main because I went to this tournament where some punk named Gimpyfish beat me using forfeit mindgames. The whole experience made me realize that I had been stretching myself far too thin, trying to main 6 or more characters at one time and changing them every month or so. I knew how to play them all decently, but didn't even come close to excelling at any of them.

After the tournament, I sat down and did a careful analysis of all the different characters in an attempt to find one that best fit my playstyle. That character would become my sole main, whom I would dedicate all my efforts to improving as far as I could. No other characters would be in my way, and my game should significantly improve.

The character I ended up with was Pichu.

So, nearly all the Smash I play from here on is going to be spent improving my Pichu and prepping him for next month's tournament. Gimpy, if you read this, I'm coming for you next Gameclucks!
pichu?

>_>;;;

alright

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
A little guy on a flamming pie said that I should play as Link with a captial L.

Besides Beatle's jokes, I also was inspired by Aniki to play as Link. As I played Link more, I started to love Link's moveset and so I just played him more until he became my main.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
I basically played the game for weeks playing with my friends and family with Link, my favorite character, I joined this community wa while ago, and learned from there, I have in the past literally mained every single character except Peach, bowser, Pichu Picachu, Gannon, G&W, and Zelda (not shiek). I've played smash religiously ever since it came out. So, simply, I play who I think is cool.

Zappikachu

Smash Rookie
I chose Link as my main as that I love Legend of Zelda. I did horrible at first, but i got better the longer i played.

Top Bottom