• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how did we not think of this?? aerial+breversal=not dying?

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
fact: using an airdodge or arial attack as you're vulnerably flying through the air slows, then stops the momentum

fact: sometimes, after attacking, momentum won't be slowed enough to prevent dying

fact: using a b-move then the control stick away from where you're facing reverses your momentum

so..characters with nice short aerials and viable (not deadly on use) b-moves, let's say lucario, can save themselves from side-death by fairing then b-reversing an aura sphere??
anyone??
if this is a new thing i think it should be called deathproofing, cuz now snake's NEVER gonna die
but hell that's if it works

i don't have a copy of brawl right now where I am so someone better get on testing this out

EDIT: you can't use jumps as soon as airdodges/aerials but if this reverses momentum, maybe jumps would be the way to go

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not every B-Reverse breaks momentum.

fact: using an airdodge or arial attack as you're vulnerably flying through the air slows, then stops the momentum
This is also incorrect. Neither airdodge nor aerial attacks have an effect on momentum.

:059:

allshort17

Smash Ace
I get what you're saying, but B-reversing won't completely cancel your momentum and make you go the other way. The knockback momentum will probably greater than the B-reverse, so you'll probably just slow down just a little. However, on low knockback moves this could be pretty interesting.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
I get what you're saying, but B-reversing won't completely cancel your momentum and make you go the other way. The knockback momentum will probably greater than the B-reverse, so you'll probably just slow down just a little. However, on low knockback moves this could be pretty interesting.
i want to test this soo bad. i want to be the person to have discovered the next best way to stay alive. if it does still reverse your input momentum (not knockback) it ought to still be faster but we'll see if it's useful :/
gaah wanna test

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I've been testing this, it appears to only reverse input momentum (I've been doing ROB's laser)

But I might have been doing turnarounds and not knowing it.. I do that too much.

C.J.

Smash Master
Aerials and ADs just allow you to leave hitstun sooner to let you FF or jump which affects your trajectory "lengthening" the distance to the blast zone.

Also, Zelda players know this. They MC w/ Breversed neutral B to stop themselves.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
Aerials and ADs just allow you to leave hitstun sooner to let you FF or jump which affects your trajectory "lengthening" the distance to the blast zone.

Also, Zelda players know this. They MC w/ Breversed neutral B to stop themselves.

mc meaning meteor cancel? so you're saying it couldn't be done after an ad or aerial because you can only jump or fastfall? mmm

MEOW1337KITTEH; said:
I've been testing this, it appears to only reverse input momentum (I've been doing ROB's laser)

But I might have been doing turnarounds and not knowing it.. I do that too much.
turnarounds are done by pressing (facing right) <-, b.
brevs are done by pressing b, (immediatelyafterbutnotatthesametime)<
try that :129:

M@v

Subarashii!
EDIT: Oh you mean move that just b reverse and dont stop momentum. The problem is your just going to keep going the way you were if you dont have some sort of momentum cancel first. The interia from a hit is too strong to let say a wavebounced laser reverse your direction.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Neither of these stop momentum on their own. You can, however, drift and/or fastfall during an aerial, which is why aerials are almost always used to momentum cancel.

The aerial itself doesn't stop momentum, it just allows you to. And you can't initiate a fastfall during an airdodge, you have to wait for it to end.

Can someone test this and see if all b-reversals that naturally reverse momentum work as effective momentum cancels? It'd be nice if ZSS could halt her momentum without wasting her downB >.<

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Zeldas do this.
Foxs should do this but 90% are to lazy to learn how.
MKs do this with sideB if they are gonna die lololool

zmx

Smash Lord
So essentially TC, if your theory turns out to be true then:

If you have enough time after getting the aerial out to do a b-reversal before entering the blast zone, you in theory should never die. Obviously this only applies to those with a b-reversal that shifts momentum.

Thus what this basically would mean is everyone with a B-reverse MC has a version of GnW's bucket brake technique. Or DK's UP B and Pika's side B.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Pikachu's sideB doesn't have the same affect on momentum as bucket braking/DK's upB, dude.
Bucket brake halts all horizontal and vertical momentum, and then G&W begins to fall because of gravity.
DK's upB halts all horizontal and vertical momentum, he begins rising (because of upB) and goes left/right if the player chooses to go that way.
Pika's sideB doesn't halt momentum, it counteracts the horizontal momentum and he still gets that little 'boost' that occurs when characters jump/use a special (this applies to all specials except for bucket, DK's upB and Yoshi's sideB). As a result Pikachu gets an upward boost and (depending on the magnitude of his initial momentum) he will either decelerate or begin moving in the opposite direction.

This b-reversal technique REVERSES momentum, so with regards to horizontal momentum it's even better than bucket braking/DK's upB/Yoshi's sideB. Vertically you will still get the boost from using specials. This of course is assuming that the OP's theory is correct, ie the reversed-momentum-effect from most B-reversals also applies to momentum from knockback.

TreK

Is "that guy"
dat bump.

So, any smash lab-er to test this ? I haven't got a wii to perform such tests myself.
Make sure you test these on moves that are affected by the momentum penalty which is given when you perform them under a knockback related momentum, and on moves that aren't.
Iirc, the diddy boards came up with something of the like a couple year ago, but I haven't seen it used much. Most diddies dair-DJ or bair-ff-DJ.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Whats there to test? this is old information and has been used by countless of other characters. This is one of the first things that popped up in ppls heads when they heard of b-reversing. The problem is it doesnt work for a ton of of characters because the inertia is simply too strong to be stopped by such a weak force. However some characters actually have moves that do halt their momentum; THOSE are the one that are effective. Here TC, because it seems a ton of ppl in this thread are new to the game or have no clue what they are saying ( DrinkingFood). So i will post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guz9lSTHJ4o

TL;DR : We thought of it. We thought of it a long time ago. Feel free to test though; its always good to have players actively looking for things themselves. Its those players that push the metagame. Just watch the series so you know to extent the task you are actually taking up. No use for you all starting from scratch.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I Dair when hit straight up, but admittedly it is an old habit that I need to break - the standard/accepted way is B-air > FF > DJ (if needed), maybe B-air > FF > Side-B on the left/right side if needed. Admittedly I would like to see tests done comparing Dair v. Bair, because Diddy's Dair has some weird properties.

I would LOVE to see someone test this momentum break theory with Diddy's peanut gun B-reversal (which I suck at :().

Top Bottom