• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How come so many people are taking a dump of FE lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Yeah, the weapon triangle seems over emphasized sometimes. With the exception of Heroes, it just doesn't seem that important in the actual games.
In all honesty, all it really does is affect hit rate and in most games, very slight damage output. We're talking about a difference of 1 point in damage output.

It's beneficial to know and use, but it isn't vital. You could pretty much offset the hit rate loss with a good enough Skill stat and/or supports.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'll top you, I don't think the first two games even had it at all (neither did Echoes).
Uh-huh, and when you take that away all that really differentiates the weapons is their stat tendencies (weak, but accurate, vice versa or balanced).

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I had no idea it existed in my first playthrough of Fire Emblem Awakening. I just Chromed through everything.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Well it was certainly big enough of a deal in Fire Emblem Warriors to drive me bat**** insane whenever I was at a disadvantage.

"Pfft, please. It's a Warriors game on EZ mode. Surely I can handle a pesky little NPC-- wait, why am I doing jack**** damage to him...?"

*gets hit by smol poke attack*

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I didn't need to use it, so I didn't. It's pretty much as simple as that. If you want a certain paradigm to be absolutely integral to the gameplay, you should probably make it way harder to progress without it.

Hard Mode is a whole different story of course...

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I just want to know: I don't necessarily like FE, but I don't dislike it in any way either. I've been hoping that there's a Fire Emblem game out there I can begin with better than Smash impressions, but everyone I know whose played it (IRL) have told be FE makes more sense for long time players and is confusing/not fun for new players. I'm hoping Three Houses isn't like this so i can try it out, but is there any other FE game out there I could get a good start with?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I just want to know: I don't necessarily like FE, but I don't dislike it in any way either. I've been hoping that there's a Fire Emblem game out there I can begin with better than Smash impressions, but everyone I know whose played it (IRL) have told be FE makes more sense for long time players and is confusing/not fun for new players. I'm hoping Three Houses isn't like this so i can try it out, but is there any other FE game out there I could get a good start with?
Sacred Stones. Just about every other FE game is connected to some other one.

BSFE -> FE1/11 -> FE2/15 -> FE3/12 -> FE13

FE7 -> FE6

FE4 -> FE5 -> FE4

FE9 -> FE10

The only games that anybody could hop in on and not be confused by the story are FE8 (Sacred Stones) and FE14 (Fates), and Fates sucks, so I've heard.

Sacred Stones is fairly easy, has a nice early game, and is probably the most polished out of the 3 GBA games.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Awakening is really good and approachable for newcomers. It's the only one I've played but I currently plan to pick up Treehouses.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Awakening is good to start with if you want a newer FE, stay away from fates though. If you want a classic to start with I suggest Sacred Stones.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
What's wrong with Fates? It seems like I've heard nothing good about it since its release. There was a rumor that Corrin drugs a woman in the storyline, but that turned out to be a translation error. Is there something wrong with the gameplay or is it just the weaby stuff that turned people off?

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
What's wrong with Fates? It seems like I've heard nothing good about it since its release. There was a rumor that Corrin drugs a woman in the storyline, but that turned out to be a translation error. Is there something wrong with the gameplay or is it just the weaby stuff that turned people off?
Conquest was really good gameplay wise but overall the three games are full of horrendous writing, bad characters, and weird unnecessary fanservice. Terrible place to get your first taste of FE.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Conquest was really good gameplay wise but overall the three games are full of horrendous writing, bad characters, and weird unnecessary fanservice. Terrible place to get your first taste of FE.
Is it because Corrin is barefoot or were the story and aesthetics are terrible

Because I've heard both as reasons to hate Fates

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

Considering how I constantly hear new reasons why people think that game is terrible (some of which I agree are genuinely ****awful, to the point where I have made the decision not to go anywhere near those three games), if I ever heard someone say Corrin being barefoot was the reason the game was bad, I'd have to resist the urge to backhand them for that comment.

Because holy ****, dude, way to miss the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529

Has nothing to do with the barefoot thing, I'm pretty sure that was just a design choice but I guess some people hate it? Idk. Aesthetically some of the stuff in that game is really cool, I'm a fan of a lot of the armor designs and outfits especially on the Nohr side. That said there is a ton of designs that are jarring and ruin a lot of things around them i.e. Peri. As for the story, yes everything about it is bad.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
My recommendations are Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, and Awakening as your first FE games to play.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Has nothing to do with the barefoot thing, I'm pretty sure that was just a design choice but I guess some people hate it? Idk. Aesthetically some of the stuff in that game is really cool, I'm a fan of a lot of the armor designs and outfits especially on the Nohr side. That said there is a ton of designs that are jarring and ruin a lot of things around them i.e. Peri. As for the story, yes everything about it is bad.
I like to think that having Corrin and Azura both barefoot was an extreme over-compensation for the lack of feet on Awakening's character models.

In all seriousness, I think Corrin's lack of shoes was meant to keep a consistent theme between Awakening's Taguels and Corrin's shapeshifting abilities.

EDIT: Though... Corrin's design really doesn't make sense at all for the story they want to tell.

Considering one set of siblings stole Corrin away from her real family as a child, then Corrin finds out that she's not even related to the other siblings either, how does this come as a shock when she's got pointy ears, blood red eyes, can turn into a dragon and has been allergic to shoes her entire life? Like, how was this not already a pressing issue before these revelations?

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
I like to think that having Corrin and Azura both barefoot was an extreme over-compensation for the lack of feet on Awakening's character models.

In all seriousness, I think Corrin's lack of shoes was meant to keep a consistent theme between Awakening's Taguels and Corrin's shapeshifting abilities.

EDIT: Though... Corrin's design really doesn't make sense at all for the story they want to tell.

Considering one set of siblings stole Corrin away from her real family as a child, then Corrin finds out that she's not even related to the other siblings either, how does this come as a shock when she's got pointy ears, blood red eyes, can turn into a dragon and has been allergic to shoes her entire life? Like, how was this not already a pressing issue before these revelations?
Reminds me of this comic.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I never thought of it...but yeah, why does Corrin look like that?
He/She's actually the child of the bad guy, Anankos (a dragon), and his mom (Mikoto) isn't the Hoshidan's birth mother, their birth mother died long ago.
The brown hair is just the character customization by the comic's author.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I believe there is a huge middle ground between "constant stream of FE sword lords" and "just put literally anyone in the game".
Seriously, if the line is crossed and non-video game characters are added, they might as well just close up shop because at that point, who doesn't get in? Not to mention licensing nightmares.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Personally, I feel that Fates is quite overhated, tbh. If Intelligent Systems/Nintendo hadn't hyped up the game's story so much before release (and didn't needlessly split it into three parts), I doubt that it would've gotten as negative of a reaction as it did. I mean, it's not like Fire Emblem games really have stories that are that good, generally. And yes, I'm aware that there are exceptions.
Anyway, the gameplay is still at least solid across all three paths of Fates, and the characters are decent enough. The worst FE game to me is still Binding Blade.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Personally, I feel that Fates is quite overhated, tbh. If Intelligent Systems/Nintendo hadn't hyped up the game's story so much before release (and didn't needlessly split it into three parts), I doubt that it would've gotten as negative of a reaction as it did. I mean, it's not like Fire Emblem games really have stories that are that good, generally. And yes, I'm aware that there are exceptions.
Anyway, the gameplay is still at least solid across all three paths of Fates, and the characters are decent enough. The worst FE game to me is still Binding Blade.
Splitting it into three parts probably wouldn't have been so bad if you didn't have to pay for each path.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Sacred Stones. Just about every other FE game is connected to some other one.

BSFE -> FE1/11 -> FE2/15 -> FE3/12 -> FE13

FE7 -> FE6

FE4 -> FE5 -> FE4

FE9 -> FE10

The only games that anybody could hop in on and not be confused by the story are FE8 (Sacred Stones) and FE14 (Fates), and Fates sucks, so I've heard.

Sacred Stones is fairly easy, has a nice early game, and is probably the most polished out of the 3 GBA games.
Polished? I don't know about that. It was a solid game but it wasn't perfectly polished due to the game breaking balance and LITERAL game-crashing skill bugs which were frequent. Hello Dracorider skill procing when attacking from range. I could tell, after playing PoR/RD and how they handled the skill system , that Sacred Stones' skill system was going through its own beta test.

Personally, I don't like it when the FE games scrap the linearity as it paves the way to make the game way too easy. I did like how the Tellius games handled the game linearity while keeping things difficult even if you pour tons of bonus exp. RD did it well with bonus map objectives but they could of done it better. I'm not a fan of "grind this for hours to make the game that was known for its difficulty piss easy!" I'll just play an MMO, thanks.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Polished? I don't know about that. It was a solid game but it wasn't perfectly polished due to the game breaking balance and LITERAL game-crashing skill bugs which were frequent. Hello Dracorider skill procing when attacking from range. I could tell, after playing PoR/RD and how they handled the skill system , that Sacred Stones' skill system was going through its own beta test.

Personally, I don't like it when the FE games scrap the linearity as it paves the way to make the game way too easy. I did like how the Tellius games handled the game linearity while keeping things difficult even if you pour tons of bonus exp. RD did it well with bonus map objectives but they could of done it better. I'm not a fan of "grind this for hours to make the game that was known for its difficulty piss easy!" I'll just play an MMO, thanks.
You could, you know, not grind.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I don't usually, but I should of clarified. If grinding is required for new content(in a game that's fine without it), then it's a turn off for me. The first FE in the West and Chrono Trigger had taught me that if I'm going to pay attention to the story, then keep the plot flowing.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
B a n d w a g o n s

If it becomes "cool" to hate something, wannabe hipsters will fall all over themselves to express hate towards it. Why else do you think so many people regard Justin Bieber and Nickelback as the spawn of Satan and Hitler?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I actually want to go further on that and just point out that Nintendo's not too big on stories in he first place. It only seems like Zelda, some of their RPG series, one or two Kirby games (Super Star/RTDL), and SSE were the only complicated and thought out storylines. It's really not fair to judge a Nintendo game by its storyline unless it's from a series known for good stories.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't usually, but I should of clarified. If grinding is required for new content(in a game that's fine without it), then it's a turn off for me. The first FE in the West and Chrono Trigger had taught me that if I'm going to pay attention to the story, then keep the plot flowing.
What FE game requires grinding for the basic plot?
I actually want to go further on that and just point out that Nintendo's not too big on stories in he first place. It only seems like Zelda, some of their RPG series, one or two Kirby games (Super Star/RTDL), and SSE were the only complicated and thought out storylines. It's really not fair to judge a Nintendo game by its storyline unless it's from a series known for good stories.
You think SSE was complicated?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What FE game requires grinding for the basic plot?

You think SSE was complicated?
Complicated enough to make it in. They don't hold as high standards for things like that. All they needed to do was incorporate enough members of the roster plus a few bad guys and then make a 2d style platforming adventure.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Fire Emblem is a story-heavy franchise, though, with the Jugdral and Tellius games being the standout examples. Elibe isn't too shabby, either. Sure, the plots are simple on the surface, but delve into the support conversations and deeper lore, and things get very, very interesting indeed.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, that's something I can get behind. I mean, not even Xenoblade is exempt from having varying degrees of quality for its story. Like, the original Xenoblade had a pretty good story, X took a different approach wherein the narrative was far broader and also included sidequests, which didn't go over that well with many people. And the story of 2 meanwhile is total rubbish.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fire Emblem is a story-heavy franchise, though, with the Jugdral and Tellius games being the standout examples. Elibe isn't too shabby, either. Sure, the plots are simple on the surface, but delve into the support conversations and deeper lore, and things get very, very interesting indeed.
Don't forget the Metroid Prime games, heck even the 2D entries have started incorporating some deeper lore with Samus Returns.

D

Deleted member

Fire Emblem Warriors could have been better.

But i am interested in Shadows of Valentia.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Complicated enough to make it in. They don't hold as high standards for things like that. All they needed to do was incorporate enough members of the roster plus a few bad guys and then make a 2d style platforming adventure.
SSE was very disappointing for me largely due to them keeping them trophies. The heavy Kirby focus didn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom