• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
i hereby accept the exalted position of pool leader. i will carry the courage, honor, and valor that my ancestors have bestowed upon me. long have i waited for the day when my unquenchable thirst for power would be amused. that day is neigh my friends. on the eve of battle, i shall stand from the highest mountains and proclaim the glory of my people and their thirst for destruction. gather round brothers, for this is the battle of the ages; a battle that will be told to our children's children; a battle that will ring in the ears of every warrior for all of eternity; a battle that will define our time and the mortality of men. prepare yourselves, for glory and death lie within reach of all

just kidding

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
i hereby accept the exalted position of pool leader. i will carry the courage, honor, and valor that my ancestors have bestowed upon me. long have i waited for the day when my unquenchable thirst for power would be amused. that day is neigh my friends. on the eve of battle, i shall stand from the highest mountains and proclaim the glory of my people and their thirst for destruction. gather round brothers, for this is the battle of the ages; a battle that will be told to our children's children; a battle that will ring in the ears of every warrior for all of eternity; a battle that will define our time and the mortality of men. prepare yourselves, for glory and death lie within reach of all

just kidding
i just came

Gea

Smash Master
Way to clip only part of the convo. We were talking about people who always seem to get last no matter what, so I was saying put two of them against each other and bam. You know, like buttered toast on a cat?

You even cut out me saying he was a nice guy.

Houston drama for the lose.

Pipes

Smash Rookie
Way to clip only part of the convo. We were talking about people who always seem to get last no matter what, so I was saying put two of them against each other and bam.

You even cut out me saying he was a nice guy.

Houston drama for the lose.
Dude I was in that chat for the entire conversation, and nothing justifies what you said. You were talking about rigging brackets, and having no respect for Nore.

Gnes

Smash Master
this is too good...i think ive just perfected a semi-auto shield breaker with kirby...oh my goodness...

hmm...new drama...now i wont be hungry anymore...

Gea

Smash Master
You do know that on slants shield breaks will auto-cancel, right? Like the slant by the edge of Yoshi's.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Xyro, you should considering using 2 stock best of 3 for pools to make them go faster. Most tournaments using pools compromise on the format for pools to make it go faster, and plenty of new tournaments are trying out the 2 stock best of 5 format now. I think it'd be a good compromise considering how large the pools will be.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
What?!?!?! u havent even seen it :mad:....AWW **** i admit it :laugh:...its one of those brawl predicition things...but its easy to pull off...i almost pulled it off on flip like one jab would have been it...
ugh...kirby for top tier
You and Flip practice together now?? ****....

heytallman

CTALL

just kidding
You misspelled "nigh"

Also, Allan, who all are gonna be pool leaders?

Gnes

Smash Master
You and Flip practice together now?? ****....
Yeah he gives me awesome diddy practice of course since he's like the best in our region...Other diddys are easy now lol...tuesdays are now fun...hey ozz...ill show u a instant death combo on falco with kirby next time we play hahahahaha

And yes i did know that gea(secretly didnt know :urg:) ill see what i can figure out.....

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
i know better than to use falco against kirby.... zero suit son..

almost every character in the game has a certain combo on falco/wolf, its ridiculous.

heytallman

CTALL
Yeah he gives me awesome diddy practice of course since he's like the best in our region...Other diddys are easy now lol...tuesdays are now fun...hey ozz...ill show u a instant death combo on falco with kirby next time we play hahahahaha
:( ....I practice with you too, you know, am I really not important enough to mention........

lol JK you and Flip give me insanely helpful practice. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Xyro, I have worked out some math for you to help determine the format for pools:

For this math, let's assume 140 entrants and 20 setups.

Using the formula 5kn(b-1)/TV (altf4's formula), having 10 pools of 15 would make the pools alone 8.2 hours. Imagine if there were less setups, people weren't efficient, etc.

A better idea would be 20 pools of 7. Using the same formula, you are looking at 3.5 hours for the pools. If the tournament kicks off at 2 (we should try to be moderately strict with it and start at 2:30 at the latest), that means pools could be done by 5:30 and everyone would be seeded into the bracket. Each player would still get to play at least 6 rounds, which is really **** good.

All of that was assumed on 3 stock, 6 minute timer. If you did 2 stock 5 minute timer, you could cut the time even more. Seed the top 2 from each pool into a DE or SE bracket. A well run DE bracket on 20 setups will take 1.5 hours according to (15kn/TV) + 10log2(n).

So, as you can see, 20 pools will be FAR better and 2 stock best of 3 would make it even more efficient. It will give everyone plenty of matches, the bracket will be super accurate, and it won't take absolutely forever.

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
i think having pools is pretty pointless, i doubt we'll have any time to swim with all the smash we'll be playing and i'd rather not see 95% of the smash community shirtless :/

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
:( ....I practice with you too, you know, am I really not important enough to mention........

lol JK you and Flip give me insanely helpful practice. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I want in on practice next Tuesday or whenever you guys plan on doing this again. If you don't tell me about it, I will hate you all.

Jk, but seriously, I will be very sad if you don't tell me. :(

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Hey Xyro, I know that you pretty much have made up your mind about pools, but I really don't think that pools is the best way to go.

The main reason that pools are even being considered is because people want to speed up the tourney. I believe that speeding up a tournament of this size that includes two events is wishful thinking. More people are going to get to play more matches and then you have to do the DE part of the tourney after the pools.

If you keep a watchful eye on the DE tournament AND DQ people after 2 calls (just let them know that you are going to do that when they register for the tourney), you can get things done in a timely manner. I would even be willing to walk around and check to make sure that people get their stuff done.

I have a couple of other reason for not liking pools (mostly John reasons). Like I said, I know that you probably already have your mind set. Just giving you my $0.02. :) Y'all feel free to flame me. See you on Saturday.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Hey Xyro, I know that you pretty much have made up your mind about pools, but I really don't think that pools is the best way to go.

The main reason that pools are even being considered is because people want to speed up the tourney. I believe that speeding up a tournament of this size that includes two events is wishful thinking. More people are going to get to play more matches and then you have to do the DE part of the tourney after the pools.

If you keep a watchful eye on the DE tournament AND DQ people after 2 calls (just let them know that you are going to do that when they register for the tourney), you can get things done in a timely manner. I would even be willing to walk around and check to make sure that people get their stuff done.

I have a couple of other reason for not liking pools (mostly John reasons). Like I said, I know that you probably already have your mind set. Just giving you my $0.02. :) Y'all feel free to flame me. See you on Saturday.
^^^ Agreed.

Esca

Smash Champion
I feel the same as Bear. Although a tournament of this size woud be better with pools, it's only being run one day, so I feel that it would be better with a well-organized, DE.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Xyro, I have worked out some math for you to help determine the format for pools:

For this math, let's assume 140 entrants and 20 setups.

Using the formula 5kn(b-1)/TV (altf4's formula), having 10 pools of 15 would make the pools alone 8.2 hours. Imagine if there were less setups, people weren't efficient, etc.

A better idea would be 20 pools of 7. Using the same formula, you are looking at 3.5 hours for the pools. If the tournament kicks off at 2 (we should try to be moderately strict with it and start at 2:30 at the latest), that means pools could be done by 5:30 and everyone would be seeded into the bracket. Each player would still get to play at least 6 rounds, which is really **** good.

All of that was assumed on 3 stock, 6 minute timer. If you did 2 stock 5 minute timer, you could cut the time even more. Seed the top 2 from each pool into a DE or SE bracket. A well run DE bracket on 20 setups will take 1.5 hours according to (15kn/TV) + 10log2(n).

So, as you can see, 20 pools will be FAR better and 2 stock best of 3 would make it even more efficient. It will give everyone plenty of matches, the bracket will be super accurate, and it won't take absolutely forever.
This math sounds like sex on ice. I would only agree with top 3 advancing though.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord

Actually, the main reason for pools is so that you don't pay $15 and lose in 2 rounds. The way DE brackets are seeded, everyone who isn't seeded has to play all the ridiculously good players until the end of the tourney. In pools, you will be with more people of your same skill and you get to play at least 6 rounds in this case. No offense to anyone, but less skilled players can be out as soon as 2 rounds in and they won't last long, especially with a well seeded bracket. It also increases accuracy in placings.

So what are your other reasons for not liking it besides, "it's not as good as you think"?

I feel the same as Bear. Although a tournament of this size woud be better with pools, it's only being run one day, so I feel that it would be better with a well-organized, DE.
And what exactly leads you to believe that? You contradict yourself in the same sentence. Although the tourney would be better with pools, it would be better with DE? D:

You guys are crazy! Crazy like a bear

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
We could do 20 pools of 7 with top 3 advancing AND DE for the brackets.

I mean, if we really WILL have 20 setups, then 60 ppl DE shouldn't take extraordinarily long.

This makes up for the 8 ppl u DON'T get to play considering we wouldn't be doing 10 pools of 15. Half or more of them would probably just be more rabble anyway.

This way you get to seed out the good from the ho-hum AND ppl get more matches against the upper crust players, if they make it past the pools.

Juuust an idea.

...unless the DE brackets after the pools was implied. Then this message = fail. xD

Popertop

Smash Champion
Sweet, Pools!

CY, that sig is sooo funny.

Anyways, I should be able to make it to this thing before 3.
That cool?
I'm leaving beaumont at 1, and I'll be hauling *** on I-10, so I shouldn't be too late.
I'm bringing one of my friends and it'll be his first tourney, so be nice.

"That's my boy, Blue."

I'm bringing a full set up btw.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Only 3 people getting out of pools is crazy. The only tournament I can recall that happening at was OC3 and EVERYONE hated it.

AT LEAST 4 people need to make it out.

CY

Smash Ace
Only 3 people getting out of pools is crazy. The only tournament I can recall that happening at was OC3 and EVERYONE hated it.

AT LEAST 4 people need to make it out.
4 out of 7 advance to DE? wow, that should be a cakewalk for anyone who is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom