• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesh

Smash Hero
LMAO thats why you literally believe what you just said^

NEW GEN
What I said is 100% true. You are just trying to twist it as if I said Houston is alive and kicking just as well as 2008/2009.

I know you are half kidding, but as you can see, some people are taking you guys seriously and its going to discourage people from attending even more.

Gea

Smash Master
Tesh, if you want Allan to stop talking about it, then get people to stop bringing it up to Allan. Like seriously, if you come up to someone who has quit and start talking about making the scene big again and how much a 12 man tournament blew, do you expect them to say anything else besides that the scene looks weak? He isn't the TO, there should be no burden on him. If you want to get him to agree with you, prove it to him via results.

The rest of the people that quit are mainly saying there isn't anything left for them/brawl is boring/community has changed so bringing up the recent events isn't going to convince them to play either.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
I dont agree with the scene being dead when you have a smash tournament at a gay bar getting 40+ people and sync went and i think he won. Yea that might be something everyone is not into but theres people that are still playing cause if they wasnt they wouldnt have showed up and entered. There was another tournament that happened that got 40+ but I cant remember the name so somebody is doing something right to still generate these numbers. The thing that use to help xyro was me holding the play n trade weeklys. You can ask everyone at the play n trade tournament before we start we would announce this is just a weekly tournament but the real tournament is HOBO. Support it and come. We did this every pnt tournament. I still remember Jerm/Gnes/Trela/Ozz/Marvin the old crew all use to attend and we use to get 20+ every weekly.

I think the scene just needs restructuring but the question is who has the time to put in the work to do it? It took alot of work to get houston fighting game scene were there at today and I damn near moved everybody from srk to my group. Now we are the largest video game network in houston but that took work and time. I networked with business owners and advertised outside the box to get new players in. Nothing is impossible and a rebirth can be done just that somebody has to put the time and effort into it. You can actually see the group at www.houstonvgn.com I went from 260 players to 596 within a few months. I know how to promote and whoever steps up needs to as well!

Tesh

Smash Hero
Tesh, if you want Allan to stop talking about it, then get people to stop bringing it up to Allan. Like seriously, if you come up to someone who has quit and start talking about making the scene big again and how much a 12 man tournament blew, do you expect them to say anything else besides that the scene looks weak? He isn't the TO, there should be no burden on him. If you want to get him to agree with you, prove it to him via results.

The rest of the people that quit are mainly saying there isn't anything left for them/brawl is boring/community has changed so bringing up the recent events isn't going to convince them to play either.
I know its kind of his thread, but I didn't realize anyone brought the issue up to him. I'm not trying to censor anyone's opinion, but I'm just saying that declaring the scene to be suddenly dead only makes it worse. Especially considering 90% of the people talking about it are people who I've never met or only met once (people who stopped trying in 2009/2010). Think of how it looks to anyone who might have been considering coming to Ascension 5 after Apex. Think of all the people that said they would return for WHOBO 5 if you ever host it.

Gea

Smash Master
When people started asking him to explain why it was dying and how he could/would help, that's bringing it up to him. If the scene is in the kind of condition it is in as you say, then even talking to Allan at all is moot.

If the game is worth playing, people will play it. If the scene is good and the game is good, it will grow.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I forget sometimes how late into the Brawl scene some people joined.

Also wow. It's just now sinking in how long Brawl tournys have been going on. I was 15 when I went to my first HOBO. That feels like forever ago.

And I was 8 years old when I first started playing Smash Bros :D Dat Smash 64

:059:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I was the least favorite(though oldest) child while growing up so I crave attention from Internet cool guys like Gea.

:phone:

sheikamaru

jive
from maharba the mystic

i didn't read the last 80 pages of hate, but i already txt'd and told yall what i think in person. austin didn't put the results thread up when i asked but this is in and of itself an example of why my next point is true.

i came here right before the allan started training sync to TO. my first tx tournament was WHOBO3. greatest tournament i've ever been to. then the hobo's that followed were still awesome. they were almost always over 30 people which to me being from norcal where locals averaged 18-25 people, this **** was phenomenal. hobo 35 at double daves was a 30+ man tournament run smoothly off of ONE electrical outlet and it still finished on time.

and i saw the transtition. The LONE STAR CIRCUIT. this was when allan was still mostly in charge and when all of texas had the chance to travel to different tournaments. it was a badass series with one hell of a championship.

and then the passing on. ascension 1 came around. but it didn't feel like a new series. it just felt like the tournaments we were always going to except with, less efficiency. and then it just kept going down. and here we are, a 16 man tournament that took from 12-8:30. if you look at the times of transition and the amount of hype and attendance and whatever you are looking for, we only need one thing.

allan has to either run tournaments with sync longer, train him more, and force him to understand how important tournament strictness, being at the venue, and most of all advertising is (which even if he says he knows he absolutely doesn't, or if he does he chooses not to which is just as bad and doesn't prove he can) or allan needs to take over completely again.

allan we need you if tx isn't going to become free across the entire gaming board. the demons won't play unless you run the tournaments. as far as other games are concerned, tx is free at marvel with mihe gone (zori told me fchamp beat us with ghost rider................), tx is free at ssf4ae. the only game we good at is smash, go ****ing figure.

or you guys could get on me keith zori and jerm's level and play marvel

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Thing is, if I remember, Allan didn't want to do tournaments anymore. Considering that Sync was a new gen with hardly any past TO experience that actually took the initiative to carry the scene, I'll give him credit for that. He does need help, but also he has like 40 smashers living in that house. They can all do something to keep the scene alive.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I heard that there were enough people at the venue Saturday to make the event have over 20 entrants.

I can't believe half you guys couldn't spend $10 to help your bud out.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I heard that there were enough people at the venue Saturday to make the event have over 20 entrants.

I can't believe half you guys couldn't spend $10 to help your bud out.

You're forgetting a few things:

1. Some of the people there just wanted to hang out. You can't force them to enter, especially if they don't want to play Brawl.

2. Some people are broke. $10 is a lot of money for some people. You are more than welcome to invest $80 of your own money to enter people if you care that much. Hell, just pay for everyone...I'll enter and sandbag just for your attendance numbers.

3. Some people find doubles more interesting than singles. People find doubles more fun overall anyways.

4.Tournament started late. Self-explanatory.

So yeah, don't try to guilt people that didn't enter. It just makes you look silly.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
You're forgetting a few things:

1. Some of the people there just wanted to hang out. You can't force them to enter, especially if they don't want to play Brawl.

2. Some people are broke. $10 is a lot of money for some people. You are more than welcome to invest $80 of your own money to enter people if you care that much. Hell, just pay for everyone...I'll enter and sandbag just for your attendance numbers.

3. Some people find doubles more interesting than singles. People find doubles more fun overall anyways.

4.Tournament started late. Self-explanatory.

So yeah, don't try to guilt people that didn't enter. It just makes you look silly.

^ This.

Don't see the point in forking 10 bucks for laughs and giggles when it can be used for food/gas/etc. Paying for the tournament is committing the fact that you want to win the tournament.

The flaw in tournaments is that spectators can play friendlies which also can have an influx of freeloaders enter the tournament.

wait.. did RT say HELL!!!???

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Gnes and Trela could afford it because A: they would most likely make pay-out and B. Gnes already made pay-out in dubs. I mean that's only 2 people because that's all I know of right now. I dont even know who was there the results still aren't up:/

I don't mean to sound like I want you all to feel guilty, but I can imagine I'd be discouraged if my tourney had 11 entrants and I had enough smash players to break 20 in the venue.

I know I can't force someone to play, and I wouldn't want to. But I feel like some of y'all wouldn't just sit here and watch the tournament be booty and not try and at least make it a little better.

However sync did a bad job from what I hear.
If something isn't working at an event I'll do everything in my power to keep the event running and to fix what's not working. So idk.
Ascension 4 was a bad deal. 5 should be better.

Gea

Smash Master
Dude, it is no one's burden to enter the tournament. They were already being supportive by being there. You have no argument and you sound like an *******. If your intention is not to sound like an *******, don't tell people how to spend their money or that they should enter an event.

I miss you guys <3.
Is all you play now Project M? How is St. Louis? Are the brackets
perfect
?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You already saw the essay Gnes wrote.

Trela, he was hyped for the tourney, but he lost hope when he saw how few people were there anyways.

I wouldn't enter anyways, I don't play anymore. Just there to hang out. Like I said, if you want throw away your money to boost attendance numbers, I'll gladly enter and sandbag in bracket.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No one is offended, you just didn't consider all the factors.

Nobody wanted Ascension 4 to be bad, it just ended up that way.

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't think tx is as dead as ppl think, yeah it is only a shadow of its former self, but honestly we can get****poppin in here, while these may be the last months/year of brawl(at least until smash4), it is at one of its strongest phases, just look at brawl in apex 2012, and the upcoming apex 2013 looking to break every single record in hype/attendance, and honestly, it is looking pretty likely, brawl can't possibly be dead, it just tx being bad. Sync has good intentions, but in all honesty he is either horrible at executing his ideas or is just straight up da worse tio ever. Mourning over everything is not going help, talking about solutions will; so I hope the tx tio thing on FB really gets going.

Losers live in the past, Winners learn from the past.
Thegodoftxout.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Calm down, people, nobody "really" said it's dead. Many of us just expressed how it's on life support but apparently some people seem to think it isn't?

The TOing (which includes promotion) needs to step up big time. It's as simple as that.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
from maharba the mystic

as far as other games are concerned, tx is free at marvel with mihe gone (zori told me fchamp beat us with ghost rider................), tx is free at ssf4ae. the only game we good at is smash, go ****ing figure.

or you guys could get on me keith zori and jerm's level and play marvel
I wouldnt say were free in marvel because 2 houston players got top 16 at evo and when f fchamp came 8 houston players was top 16. Rubeks chocked against chris g and had him beat 2-0. He just gets hella nervous and Texas was beating the crap out of almost everyone in the money match room at evo so yea not free in marvel but street fighter idk. I think we only have 1 real gorilla thats ready to go to war and thats adeal. I dont know how he does it but he just comes from a different jungle and is on another level. The ghost rider fchamp situation was nobody here in texas plays ghost rider so when you come to a different state and start using characters there not familiar with you would most likely stand a high chance in molesting that whole state for free. When I go to evo and play guile/iceman/sent in mvc2 I make 100$'s off of all of them states cause nobody plays iceman at the level I play him so I could understand why we lost to ghost rider out here. I seen you/keith/zori/jerm come thru at smileys and then yall disappeared like casper. I thought yall was picking up the crack 3 hardcore :?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Calm down, people, nobody "really" said it's dead.
Smash is dead.

Kilik rules, I love you all, my music taste is superior, the TGM combo was worth reading 40+ pages of crap (as well as Trela's Keith, I'm sorry), and there will be Encyclopedias written on Xyro's rule.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pikmin 3 out Q2 2013
Luigi's Mansion 3DS out Spring 2013
FE 3DS out Feb 4
No mention of Animal Crossing (Europe gets Q2 2013 estimate)
Misc Wii U stuff

Gnes

Smash Master
I wouldnt say were free in marvel because 2 houston players got top 16 at evo and when f fchamp came 8 houston players was top 16. Rubeks chocked against chris g and had him beat 2-0. He just gets hella nervous and Texas was beating the crap out of almost everyone in the money match room at evo so yea not free in marvel but street fighter idk. I think we only have 1 real gorilla thats ready to go to war and thats adeal. I dont know how he does it but he just comes from a different jungle and is on another level. The ghost rider fchamp situation was nobody here in texas plays ghost rider so when you come to a different state and start using characters there not familiar with you would most likely stand a high chance in molesting that whole state for free. When I go to evo and play guile/iceman/sent in mvc2 I make 100$'s off of all of them states cause nobody plays iceman at the level I play him so I could understand why we lost to ghost rider out here. I seen you/keith/zori/jerm come thru at smileys and then yall disappeared like casper. I thought yall was picking up the crack 3 hardcore :?
Where the tourneys at son? Back then I didnt have the money to go and just play friendlies. Now I do, but nobody hosting shiz. I've definitely been on the grind and I'm 100% getting a stick by Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom