• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gea

Smash Master
Alright, to everyone that is interested, the MC server is now up. Commands are a bit different now, but everyone should have better control over stuff than before. Just /help to see the new commands. Some new perks include setting house locations as quick teleport locations and a teleport system that relies on requesting other players to 'port around to them. If you have any issues I should be around. It uses the latest version of MC. Only thing I could not fix that we used to use is the old sleep system. For right now everyone will have to sleep to reset the time to day. Looking for a solution.

IP: 98.199.81.23
a colorlist for stuff like /nick can be found at this colorlist
Expect the server up from roughly 11AM - 1AM.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Axxo - the Great Rob
RT - The guy who almost took out T-Rex on Frigrate
Esac - Lil Flip
KRD - MR WOLF
Zeton - Fox guy

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The original sin of Frigate...

:phone:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
To this day, what happened still makes no sense.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That poor IHOP table destroyed by arm wrestling...

BioDG

Smash Ace
I don't think you should take it so serious. Even though most of us claim it's gonna die soon, I think very few of us are actually hoping for it to happen asap.

I'm gonna assume more Ascensions will be tried and if it gets horrible enough, that's when nobody will do anything (until Smash 4 shows up and brawl gets thrown in Smash 4 tournies concurrently or as a side event or something). Or I'm wrong and it's already horrible enough.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Serious question. Should I be spending my time trying to get used to Brawl again, or getting used to Melee again? I don't know which scene is better right now. If Brawl really is dying, is the Melee scene still going strong? If so then I'll get into Melee (I've been playing Melee against CPUs [bleh] for the past month. Trying to get decent). If Brawl is still ok but just at a temporary low, then I'll continue with Brawl.

:059:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
WHOA! What happened to Mr. Rogers Neighborhood? I see all this drama and its looking like Mr. Rogers HOOD... Damn I hope the scene stays alive at least on smashboards cause I do miss hanging out with everybody. Even though Im retired I wouldn't mind coming out and play smash 4 when it comes out. Im down to help Xyro find another venue and start up his new series if he wants to...

heytallman

CTALL
38 hobos.
4 whobos.
4 ascensions.

Are you guys really gonna throw this rich history away and quit?
Houston isn't dead. It doesn't have to be.
Dude. Who ARE you?!?!?!?!

Serious question. Should I be spending my time trying to get used to Brawl again, or getting used to Melee again? I don't know which scene is better right now. If Brawl really is dying, is the Melee scene still going strong? If so then I'll get into Melee (I've been playing Melee against CPUs [bleh] for the past month. Trying to get decent). If Brawl is still ok but just at a temporary low, then I'll continue with Brawl.

Listen to the first seven seconds for your answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft3vIjpzpV8

Tesh

Smash Hero
38 hobos.
4 whobos.
4 ascensions.

Are you guys really gonna throw this rich history away and quit?
Houston isn't dead. It doesn't have to be.

:phone:
I don't think you should take it so serious. Even though most of us claim it's gonna die soon, I think very few of us are actually hoping for it to happen asap.

I'm gonna assume more Ascensions will be tried and if it gets horrible enough, that's when nobody will do anything (until Smash 4 shows up and brawl gets thrown in Smash 4 tournies concurrently or as a side event or something). Or I'm wrong and it's already horrible enough.

WHOA! What happened to Mr. Rogers Neighborhood? I see all this drama and its looking like Mr. Rogers HOOD... Damn I hope the scene stays alive at least on smashboards cause I do miss hanging out with everybody. Even though Im retired I wouldn't mind coming out and play smash 4 when it comes out. Im down to help Xyro find another venue and start up his new series if he wants to...
Guys, please don't take the "old-gens" seriously on this. You'd have to be pretty dense that houston is any more dead than it was last year. LSC scraped up 30-50 people per tournament at best with full cooperation from every TO in the state over a year ago. It takes alot of work to get attendance these days, and a combination of reasons kept alot of regulars away from this Ascenion. People having finals, other tournaments on the same day, saving for Apex, not knowing the tournament was even happening etc. We've lost like...gnes, trela, illmatic, bio, diska, mocha and thats pretty much all i think (well and razer now i guess).

Also if anyone who lives with sync could pass then message on, I would like to money match Mr. Shadow One Pj :squirtle: vs :toonlink: since he does not think my pokemon trainer is serious business.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Guys, please don't take the "old-gens" seriously on this. You'd have to be pretty dense that houston is any more dead than it was last year. LSC scraped up 30-50 people per tournament at best with full cooperation from every TO in the state over a year ago. It takes alot of work to get attendance these days, and a combination of reasons kept alot of regulars away from this Ascenion. People having finals, other tournaments on the same day, saving for Apex, not knowing the tournament was even happening etc. We've lost like...gnes, trela, illmatic, bio, diska, mocha and thats pretty much all i think (well and razer now i guess).

[/URL]

denial isn't just a river in egypt

you have to literally be a mental to think the scene is still fine.

Gea

Smash Master
I am currently on internet that is EXTREMELY horrible and it cannot load youtube.

So what did you link?

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS... MELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And I agree. And Tesh is in denial. The scene is not going to turn into 0 people showing up, but the numbers are lower.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace

Also if anyone who lives with sync could pass then message on, I would like to money match Mr. Shadow One Pj :squirtle: vs :toonlink: since he does not think my pokemon trainer is serious business.
Im just shocked that everybody broke out in a rage over 1 bad tournament. Everybody made it seem like everyone was 1 big happy adams family at whobo 4 so I couldnt tell if there was drama or not until I read stuff on here. Its like I come on here when Im free which is like around 4am every once in a while and everytime I see this thread its always something going on. I think everyone went a little to hard on sync. I know he has been trying hard to make it work for everyone so people need to cut him some slack. I havent seen him post so im thinking he probably just chillin and waiting till the right moment. Xyro retired so sync is all houston has left to host tournaments so idk whats going to happen from here on out. I guess smashfests will take over from here on out until the next smash 4 comes out next 2 years from now. Damn thats such a long time to wait...

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its not like "fine" compared to how booming it was when the game came out and locals were 100+, but as far as attendance, its not much smaller now than it was last year. You just did a much better job of announcing tournaments early enough for OoC to make plans and maybe even more accessible venues.

The tournaments you ran about a year ago, are about the same size as Ascension 3, and that was with people like mekos, vinnie, zeton, yosh etc. coming in from all over. The name HOBO obviously still carried enough weight, but as far as local attendance, there has apparently been enough new attendance to replace the people that TRULY quit.

I'm talking strictly attendance, I can't argue something as subjective as hype or w/e else you are talking about.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Guys, please don't take the "old-gens" seriously on this. You'd have to be pretty dense that houston is any more dead than it was last year.
I went to 1 Houston tourny within the past year and it was a free tourny that sync ran at a gamestop. That's it. I was asking cause I didn't know what's been going on this past year.

Edit: Wait, I also went to another Houston tourny at... whatever that gamestore was that ABDK's tournys used to be held at.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm looking at the HOBO 34 results thread right now which was almost exactly a year ago, and for every TX player in the singles results that is no longer playing (illmatic, smoom, leaf etc.) I can name people that have joined the scene since (run ct, tot, bc) and stayed.

@ KRD, if you enjoy playing, there are still other people who enjoy it, especially if you are willing to travel a bit.

If Houston is throwing in the towel, I'll probably just be travelling to dallas and alabama/louisiana more often. As I said about circuits and TO cooperation, people are more likely to travel if there aren't other tournaments easier to attend, which is why the current TOs need to stop cockblocking each other.

Xyro77

Its not like "fine" compared to how booming it was when the game came out and locals were 100+, but as far as attendance, its not much smaller now than it was last year. You just did a much better job of announcing tournaments early enough for OoC to make plans and maybe even more accessible venues.

The tournaments you ran about a year ago, are about the same size as Ascension 3, and that was with people like mekos, vinnie, zeton, yosh etc. coming in from all over. The name HOBO obviously still carried enough weight, but as far as local attendance, there has apparently been enough new attendance to replace the people that TRULY quit.

I'm talking strictly attendance, I can't argue something as subjective as hype or w/e else you are talking about.
I'm looking at the HOBO 34 results thread right now which was almost exactly a year ago, and for every TX player in the singles results that is no longer playing (illmatic, smoom, leaf etc.) I can name people that have joined the scene since (run ct, tot, bc) and stayed.

@ KRD, if you enjoy playing, there are still other people who enjoy it, especially if you are willing to travel a bit.

If Houston is throwing in the towel, I'll probably just be travelling to dallas and alabama/louisiana more often. As I said about circuits and TO cooperation, people are more likely to travel if there aren't other tournaments easier to attend, which is why the current TOs need to stop cockblocking each other.
HOBO 34=37 people=december of last year
HOBO 35=32 people
HOBO 36=21 people
HOBO 37=24 people
HOBO 38=30 people
Ascension 1=34 people
Ascension 2=37 people
Ascension 3=22 people
Ascension 4=12 people=december of this year

As the Houston TO for the past 8 years i know when a scene is dying. Especially after ive seen one die/killed right before my eyes.

Numbers reflect hype. If people don't enjoy their time at an event they are less likely to return/spread the word and thus less people will attend. Hype died for HOBO well before HOBO 34 tbh. With Ascension i honestly felt it was never there in the first place (maybe im the minority). It wasnt cause sync didnt know what he was doing either...it was because all those reasons i named like 8 pages back lol. Also, its because key players like smoom/illmatic/gnes/razer/trela didn't really care or didnt attend and runCT/tot or whoever else are casuals and not super serious players yet. After Ascension 4 and the **** that went down (starting 4 hours late, ending at 830pm, 3 set-ups, sync being gone when we needed him the most.....ect) i have never heard the type of complaints that im hearing now. So YES this scene is dead/near death.

I mean if you wanna call a 12 man tournament "hype" and wanna tell everybody houston is "alive and well" then please do so. I pity the day when you wake up from that dream though.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't see how I'm wrong. I'm just saying there is no reason for anyone to act like Houston suddenly died at Ascension 4.

Like I said, I wasn't around in the launch days of brawl. My first tournament was HOBO 23 and it was only 38 people. Biggest regular HOBO since was probably like 70 people, so all I'm saying is that Houston is only slightly more dead than same time last year so people shouldn't be freaking out just because you and other retired players are saying alot of stuff in this thread.

I never said Ascension 4 was hype. Just that the uncommon parts got pretty exciting. I understand that attendance isn't everything, but its not like national level players are going to just pop up to replace gnes, razer, trela, illmatic etc.

Xyro77

I don't see how I'm wrong. I'm just saying there is no reason for anyone to act like Houston suddenly died at Ascension 4.

Like I said, I wasn't around in the launch days of brawl. My first tournament was HOBO 23 and it was only 38 people. Biggest regular HOBO since was probably like 70 people, so all I'm saying is that Houston is only slightly more dead than same time last year so people shouldn't be freaking out just because you and other retired players are saying alot of stuff in this thread.

I never said Ascension 4 was hype. Just that the uncommon parts got pretty exciting. I understand that attendance isn't everything, but its not like national level players are going to just pop up to replace gnes, razer, trela, illmatic etc.
LMAO thats why you literally believe what you just said^

NEW GEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom