• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

golf?

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5647-4777-2873
ah alright i was thinkin 5 bucks was only for brawl
yea alright i may make it to both if i get my car fixed in time

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
PM sent.

BTW, not too sure how I'm being vague if all the info is there.
Just read my post, thats it all takes.

What I'm saying is this.
Brawl = $15
Other Games = $10
THIS IS WITHOUT VENUE FEE COST

Me asking = Why is Brawl $5 more.
People here = Durrr, your dumb thats venue fee (or just one person).

Me = Give link to first page of Trash Day, showing otherwise.

Question = Why is Brawl $5 more? Me want know, me thinks me never know.

[/duhhhh]

I hope you guys get it T_T

golf?

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5647-4777-2873
understood.
diff. prices for diff. games. weird. but thats just how it went down i guess.
but in all fairness it has been said tekken was $25
i think a set entry fee for all games would have been better imo
but i havent been out to any tourneys here in houston yet so iuno
im sure things will all work out? haha

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
Yes, yes, it will only get worse. I mean, next tournaments will be FREE with FREE money and FREE food and drinks, Oh No! What will we do! That's terrible!

Psheew. *rolls eyes*

Here's the listing for the April 26th event. I got some PMs for me to list the link, so here you go.
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=638

PS: Yes, the Trashday guys did do some shady stuff, among them, they took some of the Smash pot money. I'm filing a report against them. It should be done by tomorrow. In response, we've decided to NOT hold events at Trashday anymore. Their loss. But it doesn't matter because we've got plenty of other places where to hold events. Speaking of which, we're in the middle of setting up the next HOST. When more concrete details are solidified, TGM will announce all the Brawliciously juicy details, but until then, we've provided quite a few nice venues at PZ and PN'T.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
you like gona come over or something if so hell yeah come to my house dude for reals it's cool there 56 inch Plasma ftw

G@BE

Smash Lord
Cesar you should go to sethlons house and play like you were supposed to.... we could also play guilty gear

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
When i run things, shady stuff wont happen.
^I know. I have trust in you alan.

But isn't it funny to anyone else how all of a sudden people are trying to get involved and run things in brawl that they didn't run in melee? Lets not forget about melee, people the true game in which half of you guys sucked horrid....

Alan, tell mouf to pm me.

Axxo

Smash Apprentice
Anybody can come to my house today untill like 10. So yea.
Call me if you wanna play. 832 659 9561

And as a reminder I'm still working on the game place I wanna open in Houston.

Possible names for the place is:
Gamers Lounge
Facility
Acids

Anybody got more names for the place.

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice

Gamers Lounge
Facility
Acids

Why not "Axxo Games". Sounds cool. People will be like, "I'm going over to Axxo's." Nice ring to it.

Trashday

Smash Rookie
PS: Yes, the Trashday guys did do some shady stuff, among them, they took some of the Smash pot money. I'm filing a report against them. It should be done by tomorrow. In response, we've decided to NOT hold events at Trashday anymore. Their loss. But it doesn't matter because we've got plenty of other places where to hold events. Speaking of which, we're in the middle of setting up the next HOST. When more concrete details are solidified, TGM will announce all the Brawliciously juicy details, but until then, we've provided quite a few nice venues at PZ and PN'T.

ok let me set a few things straight.

first off WE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING SHADY. Everything was clear as day on every forum the same.

DugFinn just in case you couldn't figure it out when we were talking.

SUPERSMASH BROTHERS BRAWL

Guaranteed $700 POT!!
1st - $400
2nd - $200
3rd - $100

the prizes were already stated clear as day. NO WHERE in any forum does it say 1st 400+more. I talked to you about this after the tournament. You were telling me guarantee is the minimum plus more. I was telling you it's not....if I go to buy a suit and they tell me over the phone "yes sir come in to the store", "how much does it cost"...sir it will cost $200..."I ask are you sure?"....yes sir I guarantee it is $200...Now would I go to the store to buy it if I expected to more then $200 for it? come on...lets be real...even your fellow brawl player JRA imed me about it and after talking to him, he understood.

We never hosted ssmb at any other tournament but we thought it would be good for the community to add ssmb since I've had requested for that game before. When I posted that you decided to say you can run it to make it easy. I said sure you've run tournaments before. We talked on the phone a week or a few days before the tournament and you asked "when will the tournament start?" I said well the doors open at 10am and we will be starting the tournaments at 12 (noon). you said ok cool...I even have an email or pm or post where you told me you would be that at 10am to help setup...I was like ok great we need your help.....

What happens the day of the tournament no calls no nothing...10 rolls around then 11 then almost 12 and everyone is asking me when does smash start, where are the setups...so what did I do I give ssmb some of our setups so they would have a place to play casuals so they wouldn't be bored... I call you...what do I get...Oh I'm at work don't get off til 12:00 then I'll go straight there. ok **** you should have said this before...then you don't show til 2pm...with no calls or anything...But at this point I'm like whatever just run it..people have with drawn from the tournament already don't want to lose more. I've been to tournaments before where i've had to wait for hrs and it sucks... didn't want it to be this way for the first ssmb tournament we host...cause you can look at all the other tournaments before this one...and there is nothing but positive feedback, on how hard we work, how much the community appreciates having a major tournament to attend.

So you can tell the higher ups in NVGA, and everyone else you were going to tell. Just make sure in your report you make you tell the whole story and not just your side or view.

Tekken players had to play $25 plus venue fee so $30 total and they were all happy and have gotten alot of positive feedback. I don't see how $15 is alot of money when people put $20 on their card to be in a pz tournament or more on venue fees?

to the person who said we didn't care about the CvS2 money was gone....You have no idea what your talking about. We had 8 total games and all the games got their money correct, but it just so happens that CvS2 didn't get 1st but had 2nd and 3rd were there, when I counted out the money for each game I had someone verify I put the money in the envelopes, I pass the money to the person running the tournament, he then passes it off to the grand finals player to pass out after the tournament and he goes eat...then 1st is gone....you tell me how that makes sense..and how we don't care about CvS....

if you are still unsure what I'm telling you please feel free to response to me in email, pm, how ever you see fit....now I understand why people were telling me not to let you run it...I'll take it as a lesson learned...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
A guarantee implies an assurance of a MINIMUM amount. Most people thought this meant the pot would be at least $700, in the event off a low turnout. It should have been clarified that the pot would be exactly $700. It was also assumed that any extra money from entry fees would go to the pot, since that is usually what happens. So since 63 people went, I'm curious, what happened to the extra $245? $15*63=945; $945-$700 pot prize money = $245? Did the money go towards paying for the venue? For prize money of the other tourneys? :confused:

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman

Gamers Lounge
Facility
Acids

I guess I've got a suggestion. Shorten your first idea for a name to GameLounge. As for the sign design, the 'L' could be a tv, the 'o' could be a beanbag, and a stick figure/person of some sort could be sitting in it, playing a game on the tv. Just an idea, if u like it I'm glad. :p

Good luck with the place! Hope u make good business!

Edit: hmm...on second thought, adding a 'the' to the beginning of it gives it a nicer ring. Yeah, so I guess my suggestion would be "the GameLounge" then. Again, good luck!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

first off WE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING SHADY. Everything was clear as day on every forum the same.

Guaranteed $700 POT!!
1st - $400
2nd - $200
3rd - $100

the prizes were already stated clear as day. NO WHERE in any forum does it say 1st 400+more. I talked to you about this after the tournament. You were telling me guarantee is the minimum plus more. I was telling you it's not....if I go to buy a suit and they tell me over the phone "yes sir come in to the store", "how much does it cost"...sir it will cost $200..."I ask are you sure?"....yes sir I guarantee it is $200...Now would I go to the store to buy it if I expected to more then $200 for it? come on...lets be real...even your fellow brawl player JRA imed me about it and after talking to him, he understood.

We never hosted ssmb at any other tournament but we thought it would be good for the community to add ssmb since I've had requested for that game before. When I posted that you decided to say you can run it to make it easy. I said sure you've run tournaments before. We talked on the phone a week or a few days before the tournament and you asked "when will the tournament start?" I said well the doors open at 10am and we will be starting the tournaments at 12 (noon). you said ok cool...I even have an email or pm or post where you told me you would be that at 10am to help setup...I was like ok great we need your help.....

What happens the day of the tournament no calls no nothing...10 rolls around then 11 then almost 12 and everyone is asking me when does smash start, where are the setups...so what did I do I give ssmb some of our setups so they would have a place to play casuals so they wouldn't be bored... I call you...what do I get...Oh I'm at work don't get off til 12:00 then I'll go straight there. ok **** you should have said this before...then you don't show til 2pm...with no calls or anything...But at this point I'm like whatever just run it..people have with drawn from the tournament already don't want to lose more. I've been to tournaments before where i've had to wait for hrs and it sucks... didn't want it to be this way for the first ssmb tournament we host...cause you can look at all the other tournaments before this one...and there is nothing but positive feedback, on how hard we work, how much the community appreciates having a major tournament to attend.

So you can tell the higher ups in NVGA, and everyone else you were going to tell. Just make sure in your report you make you tell the whole story and not just your side or view.

Tekken players had to play $25 plus venue fee so $30 total and they were all happy and have gotten alot of positive feedback. I don't see how $15 is alot of money when people put $20 on their card to be in a pz tournament or more on venue fees?

to the person who said we didn't care about the CvS2 money was gone....You have no idea what your talking about. We had 8 total games and all the games got their money correct, but it just so happens that CvS2 didn't get 1st but had 2nd and 3rd were there, when I counted out the money for each game I had someone verify I put the money in the envelopes, I pass the money to the person running the tournament, he then passes it off to the grand finals player to pass out after the tournament and he goes eat...then 1st is gone....you tell me how that makes sense..and how we don't care about CvS....

if you are still unsure what I'm telling you please feel free to response to me in email, pm, how ever you see fit....now I understand why people were telling me not to let you run it...I'll take it as a lesson learned...

This is how Fluffy lost her fame.......

I dont want Dugfinn to follow in her steps......

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer

Gamers Lounge
Facility
Acids

call it room 22 or the axe

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice

Guaranteed $700 POT!!
1st - $400
2nd - $200
3rd - $100

To the Smashers: There, see, straight from the horses mouth. 1. I had nothing to do with the prize money issue. This guy just confirmed it. 2. I talked to them after the event to try to get the full pot for smash, and they refused. This guy just confirmed it. See, no shadyness from my side.

To the Trashday guy: Also, like I told you at the event. "Guaranteed pot" is implied as "at least" or "minimum" then I suggested that from now on instead of saying "guaranteed pot" you simply just state the exact "pot" amount and save everyone the trouble of getting confused. I talked to several people at the NVGA (like Morris) and outside sources (like he directors of Showdown championships) to ask what they think "guaranteed pot" means. They told me exactly what we though and were very surprised that anyone would think otherwise. So, think of it as learning the gaming implied meaning of "guaranteed pot" in tournaments. See, in tournaments, the pot grows depending on the number of entrants, so if more people come, the pot becomes bigger. This is fact. If the pot is guaranteed at a certain number, then it is implied that it will not be less than that number, but may be bigger because of the nature of the pot "growing" from entrants registering. Notice how no other tournament ever uses the word "guaranteed" in stating a set prize amount. They just say the exact prize amount and are done with it. While I myself (and maybe others) have been to tournaments where the they have used the "guarantee" expression and done just that: increased the pot if more entrants registered or at minimum gave out the guaranteed pot amount even though not enough people showed up. In other words, "guaranteed pot" is used to assure players that even if not enough people show up, they can at least expect that amount in prize money - that's the guarantee - but if more people show up, the pot naturally increases - as is the nature of pots to do when more and more people sign up.

Now, if you still don't believe me when I say that this is the generally accepted terminology, I ask you this: "Why is everyone upset then? Why does everyone say that it is? Why did everyone think otherwise?" These are all rhetorical questions by the way. The answer is obvious: because that is what "guaranteed pot" means.

So, if you'd like to chalk it up to a HUGE misunderstanding, fine. This is what I tried to explain to you at Trashday when we took it outside. You refused to accept it, even though I told you it was going to upset ALOT of people, and that it would have serious repercussions. A bad rep was one of them. And here it is.

Maybe the Smash community will still want to go to a Trashday hosted Smash event next year. Who knows? The Smash community is filled with awesome people, and they may be forgiving. It'll be up to them later to decide. If they do decide to go, they'll probably want the Smash organizer, (TGM, me, etc, or who ever is hosting it) to do all money transactions just to feel safer about it. But that's something that can be discussed later if it comes down to it.

As for the times, it was stated on EVERY smash post that talked about Trashday, that the registration was at noon for Smash and that the tournament would start between 1 or 2 pm - which it did! YOU assumed that Smash would start earlier, heavens know why. You should have looked at the times on the Smash posts - which I DID send you in links. If you didn't look at them, then that was your fault. I think it was even stated on the first post of this thread. AllISBrawl.com also had the times. So did the Houston-Scene.com (which you even told me at the tournament that you had looked at). Smash players also knew the correct times. And the Smash event did start on time between 1 and 2 pm (and actually BEFORE any of the other tournaments that were scheduled to start way before us!). Also, I tried to call to let you know that I had work that morning several times before the event, but you never answered your phone. Check your phone records and you'll see that.

Anything else you need to discuss, please either call me or email me.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer

Guaranteed $700 POT!!
1st - $400
2nd - $200
3rd - $100
Next time also do melee, and let me host it. ^_^ good deal. Trashday needs to bring back melee cause I know atleast 20 people who would enter and at 13$ a person thats $260

1-$170
2-$70
3-$20

Remeber this is if only 20 people enter, if 40 entered that be twice as much... good deal.

heytallman

CTALL
man, there's an opera matinee for like $10 for La Boheme on May 3rd.
I was really hoping to go the next tournament, but...
Isn't La Boheme, like, one of the most famous operas ever (after Carmen or The Barber of Seville)? Awesome. I don't know why, but I've been really digging opera and classical recently, O Fortuna is the greatest song ever!

Furbs, Gea, Dave, and Roy, you goin' to GameStop on Saturday? I think I'm finally going to be able to go again!

Xyro77

Ive found the best Ness main in Houston. His name is Aion. His Ness is f-ing sick. You guys gotta play him.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Isn't La Boheme, like, one of the most famous operas ever (after Carmen or The Barber of Seville)? Awesome. I don't know why, but I've been really digging opera and classical recently, O Fortuna is the greatest song ever!

Furbs, Gea, Dave, and Roy, you goin' to GameStop on Saturday? I think I'm finally going to be able to go again!
naw im not sure dude, roy probably has school
and my sisters are in town this weekend, so yeah
gea and dave will probably go though

Xyro77

He was at the touynament tgm
i know, he used wolf back then. He mains Ness. Me and him are a team. I finaly found a team mate!!!!!! We are gonna take out 3000 and t-rex. Samus and Ness vs Sonic and Snake!!!! YAHOO!!!!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i know, he used wolf back then. He mains Ness. Me and him are a team. I finaly found a team mate!!!!!! We are gonna take out 3000 and t-rex. Samus and Ness vs Sonic and Snake!!!! YAHOO!!!!
Sethlon and I almost beat them >_>. Took them to the last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom