• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I found tourney experiences to be* the most beneficial.

Razer, Mystic is nowhere near your position right now.. lmao

you came INTO the game pretty strong (from what I've heard), Mystic is just trying to place / advance a few rounds.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i got ya illmatic. but actually saving here and there is a ***** when you gotta pay for everything you do yourself bro. and i only eat fast food when i go to sync's :p

blah, i give up. ill keep trying to play this damn game. i can't seem to out argue illmatic. but i may still place my fate at LSC. kinda hard to out argue illmatic when his fro gets shakin. hell i can't do it

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Don't act like my English teacher, or I'll go Chickfila Killer on you.

Maharba, yeah just listen to what Ill said basically. TRY to find offline practice or if not, practice at tournaments.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
3. Focus on when to actually kill your opponent. Only throw out a kill move if there is basically no risk of them punishing you HARD back. I learned this basically through all the top players in our state. Gnes told me this frequently, "It doesn't matter if I don't kill them right away... I'm not taking damage and I'm just chipping in stuff on them, EVENTUALLY one of my moves WILL kill him. I'm not worried about how quickly he dies, just the fact that I don't and he eventually does." Practice the hell out of this EVERY stock you play, you will become a better player.
I know this post wasn't meant for me, but wow this was really good advice that I never even thought of and it's one of my worst problems with Wolf. I actually never thought about it but I think that might be one of the reasons my ICs and Sheik were better than my Wolf has ever been. Cause with Wolf I have kill moves so I feel like I'm supposed to kill at a certain percent, but with ICs I never cared cause I knew 1 grab = death and with Sheik I knew I couldn't rush cause she doesn't exactly have easy ways to kill. I need to go back and watch my videos to see when I'm trying too hard to force the kill.

In other news, I've been in the smash scene in Houston since HOBO 4, and the only times I've ever placed at least half place were HOBO 8 and Ozzfest 3. I still go to tournys cause I still have fun playing Brawl and the Houston community is cool and stuff.

:059:

Tesh

Smash Hero
@Bio, you were exactly the person I was thinking of when I wrote that. I'm thinking back on all the stuff I showed/taught you and how good you were without even knowing that stuff.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Honestly, if you don't believe you won't progress in Smash, just quit. I'm serious. There are so many other fighting games out there to be good at. Hell, there's even more coming out soon! Smash obviously isn't a traditional fighting game.

If you truly, TRULY want to get good at Smash, you will have to be dedicated and make sacrifices in order to progress. Just like any competitive game or sport, you WILL have to set aside activities in order to get better. There's a reason why Gnes, Razer, and Trela are some of the best in Texas...they constantly practice, travel, and are dedicated. At the same time, I'm sure they've sacrificed a ton of money, time, and opportunities to do other things they could have done otherwise. It's especially hard when you have a job and go to college at the same time. You only have so much free time to delegate to practice for Smash, and if you find that you can't put most of that free time at getting better, then just find something else and move on. This is probably the biggest factor to consider. Are you truly, and I mean TRULY, dedicated to keep playing?

As far as gameplay, you are always welcome to ask us for help. Pit isn't exactly an easy character to do good with...his lack of representation is enough evidence. I know some pretty basic stuff about Pit, so if you're ever at Gnes/Sync's place while I'm there or at tournys, feel free to ask. I'm sure Gnes (the guy plays everyone, lol) or Trela can help you with some stuff too...you just have to ask. We may not know your character in great detail, but there could be some small stuff you're missing.

And like some people have said, you still have to learn the basics. DI/SDI, reads, universal techs, etc. Like, you do some weird/flashy stuff that really isn't necessary. Stop doing this Seriously. If it doesn't help your gameplay or contribute to match, then don't do it. Some people can be flashy and still do good, but flashiness is the last thing you should be worrying about if you aren't winning.

Learn to mix up more. Learn your character's moves, what they are used for, what they can punish, spacing them, etc. Go back and read up on your board's guides. And above all, play more patient...not the whole "DURRRRR, I'M GOING INTO THE MATCH AND I'M GOING TO TIME THIS GUY OUT!!111!!!!!!!11" mindset. Some people have made it work, but for the most part, it won't work against better players. Brawl is a defensive game...if you're being overly aggressive without any thought as to what you're doing, you will get punished 95% of the time. And since you're Pit, be especially careful with your edgeguard attempts since your character is gimpbait (at the same time, learn how not to get gimped).

Alternatively, if you feel like Pit isn't cutting it, try someone else. There's no shame in picking up a different character. People switch mains or pick up secondaries when they have bad matchups. You will have to work twice as hard though, but the payoff is worth it if you have trouble against certain matchups. Playing different characters also let you see matchups from the opponent's side. You might start seeing holes in how that character plays or how they can take advantage of Pit.

And most importantly, learn to accept losses. Everyone loses because of stupid ****, trust me. Tripping, lack of sleep, not knowing matchups, whatever...just move on. Getting frustrated only makes you do worse.

I could say more, but that's it for now.

Don't feel bad if you're losing to our top players...they represent some of the best of their individual characters. Houston as a whole is pretty strong city...our average player's skill level is pretty high compared to many regions.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Mystic, study vids of the Houston smashers (or the ones that are on your hit list). Learn their habits, random things they do, as much you can. Everyone has them, even Gnes/Razer/Trela. Learning what they are and how to counter them is very beneficial.

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
Maharba, don't be a Tree and quit unless you really need to. The way I see it -- and it doesn't have to be the way you see it because it's different for everyone -- if I'm still having fun, then I won't stop until I stop having fun.

If you're really looking on improving I'd definitely take Illmatic's advice about just about everything. I picked a few things out that I should be better about too haha.

I finally am able to record vids again, and I still have the raplays of you and me at the HOBO before last where we played in tournament. If you'd like me to upload them, I will.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
dude please upload that match sheik is one of my personal worst MUs and i need to learn that shiz

@nike

ill start doing that actually. i don't know how ill exploit the habits when i learn them but i guess that's just gonna take practice...

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Speaking of practice, does anyone wanna come over tomorrow?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Mystic, take it from me, the most experienced smasher here and a LOW TIER main in BRAWL.

In brawl you CAN NOT and WILL NOT become trela/gnes/razer/denti good unless u pick a better character or are an exception to the rule(which 99% of us are not). This game relies on MUs more than anything else. Pick anything high tier or above and u will see auto improvement. Apply what illmatic says and see more improvement.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I believe pit is extremely underrated and capable of rising enough to the point where he can compete.
Have not seen it in 3.5 years so i doubt it will happen. We havnt even seen HINTS of the future with pit. We have see at least that with many many underrated mid tiers

Tesh

Smash Hero
He looked pretty good before the game came out. A sword, projectile, wings, reflectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom