• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Kalo : honestly, you are doing the same thing that Hylian is doing, just with the opposite opinion. In fact, a lot of people are doing it. "That level is ghey" doesn't count as a valid reason to not have a stage. Xyro listed his reasoning for banning certain stages, and although I disagree with a couple of the points in there, it makes sense. Some of them come down to personal preference, and he was nice enough to take a vote.

Hylian : I think he's made a good compromise on the rule list. The only thing that differentiates this from your tournament is the infinites and a small handful of stages. There should be no reason to say this can't be taken seriously, because they could easily say the same thing about your tournaments where you allow the infinites. I can see both sides and although I happen to be on your side, I am not disappointed by any means that infinites are not allowed (and yes, I use them a LOT, especially with ROB and DK).

Lets all ****ing hug and ****

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Kalo : honestly, you are doing the same thing that Hylian is doing, just with the opposite opinion. In fact, a lot of people are doing it. "That level is ghey" doesn't count as a valid reason to not have a stage. Xyro listed his reasoning for banning certain stages, and although I disagree with a couple of the points in there, it makes sense. Some of them come down to personal preference, and he was nice enough to take a vote.

Hylian : I think he's made a good compromise on the rule list. The only thing that differentiates this from your tournament is the infinites and a small handful of stages. There should be no reason to say this can't be taken seriously, because they could easily say the same thing about your tournaments where you allow the infinites. I can see both sides and although I happen to be on your side, I am not disappointed by any means that infinites are not allowed (and yes, I use them a LOT, especially with ROB and DK).

I am just hardcore set on not allowing infinites. i know this is heavily debated but i cant bring myself to say yes to ICs or DDD or marths doing what they do with infinites. its broken and gimps potentialy great players from fully playing to the thier maximum abilities.

Since we are talking about levels.

Distant planet:

1. Water. Not only am i not thirsty, i dont like the fact that i cant stay on the left side because of the hydro pump that will send me to my doom. i know its not there at all times but the fact that it happens is just stupid is specialy if you are a character that has to stay away from a foe. The water forces you closer to the foe which may not be good if you fighting.....metaknight or marth.....ect

2. Killer Earth Worm from Hell. Yes he doesnt leap up and grab you or suck you in but if your near his face, he can eat you. This elimnates the entire right side when it comes to recovery. For characters that have to recover along way away from the stage to get back on(snake,pit...ect)

3. Items, i dont have my wii near me but im pretty sure items come down no matter what happens. This isnt cool and give advantages(big or small) to characters. at least ZS's items go away and never come back, DP items keep coming back.

4. If i remember right, doesnt the main part of the stage bounce? This messes up SHs and other things. This number 4 may not be a big thing but its still something to be looked at.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I am just hardcore set on not allowing infinites. i know this is heavily debated but i cant bring myself to say yes to ICs or DDD or marths doing what they do with infinites. its broken and gimps potentialy great players from fully playing to the thier maximum abilities.

Hylian: just for you, ill add pkmn 2 the CP.
Sure. I don't even really care about the grab infinites. Please explain why you banned wall infinites/locks???

Locks are stupidly hard to set up, and they don't do much damage, and they are not infinite.

Most wall infinites only work till around 80%. Not to mention, on walled stages you can just stay away from the wall. It takes skill to trap someone against a wall...

Xyro77

Sure. I don't even really care about the grab infinites. Please explain why you banned wall infinites/locks???

Locks are stupidly hard to set up, and they don't do much damage, and they are not infinite.

Most wall infinites only work till around 80%. Not to mention, on walled stages you can just stay away from the wall. It takes skill to trap someone against a wall...
So you think nailing down 80% on some one when they cant do anything is fair? i dont. i agree that you can stay away from the wall but what if you do get near the wall and then become infinited?

Laser lock really isnt a big deal for me, i can unban it if its that big a deal for you. I just banned it cause people complain that "if you ban one lock you need to ban them all".

Jab locks are banned cause you can jab lock them all across FD and end it with an F-smash or what-have-you on any char. And depending on the person who is doing the jab lock, the f-smash they use at the end can be KILLER and perhaps even take off a stock for FREE. If i remember right, i saw a vid of a jab lock against a wall.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So you think nailing down 80% on some one when they cant do anything is fair? i dont. i agree that you can stay away from the wall but what if you do get near the wall and then become infinited?

Laser lock really isnt a big deal for me, i can unban it if its that big a deal for you. I just banned it cause people complain that "if you ban one lock you need to ban them all".

Jab locks are banned cause you can jab lock them all across FD and end it with an F-smash or what-have-you on any char. And depending on the person who is doing the jab lock, the f-smash they use at the end can be KILLER and perhaps even take off a stock for FREE. If i remember right, i saw a vid of a jab lock against a wall.
But how exactly are those things broken? Only like 13 characters can jab lock, and the jabs start doing 1% after decay. And the only way to get a jab/laser/Ice block lock is if your opponent doesn't tech. And even then its hard to pull off >_>.

Wall infinites only work if you go near the wall. Thats not that hard to avoid >_>. If your opponent gets you into a wall, its because of skill.

Xyro77

But how exactly are those things broken? Only like 13 characters can jab lock, and the jabs start doing 1% after decay. And the only way to get a jab/laser/Ice block lock is if your opponent doesn't tech. And even then its hard to pull off >_>.

Wall infinites only work if you go near the wall. Thats not that hard to avoid >_>. If your opponent gets you into a wall, its because of skill.
ok ill consider it. thank you.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
count me out, i'm a bit busy and smashed out
but remember, SMASHFEST AT THE DRINK STATION ALL NIGHT THURSDAY!
starts at 6 i believe, everything is free except the awesome drinks, which you should buy because the poor man really needs business.

popertop's secondary is a beast. literally. lol.

i'm glad we've kind of worked out the rules issue. i'm kinda between both sides but since both sides have valid points and opinions a compromise is nice.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Noooooo, CesarWTF, it sucks you had to cancel it. :(

Also, Xyro, the reasons you listed...it sounded as though the stage helps certain characters and puts others at a disadvantage...you know, as in a COUNTERPICK. ;)

But whatever, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Xyro77

it gives advntges to chars that dont need it. and it hurts chars who dont need to be hurt any more.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
i gonna make it to this next hobo...i will put all my time and effort into this one...as a matter of fact i am gonna go tomorrow and look for ways to make a few bucks

maybe setting up LANs, cutting lawns,walking dogs, drawnings(i can draw really good)...the usuallys...

Gea

Smash Master
it gives advntges to chars that dont need it. and it hurts chars who dont need to be hurt any more.
Characters who don't need help already have more than one stage each to counterpick to as it is. These stages also help other characters sometimes you know, combat the other player. I don't know of a snake, meta, or DDD that is dying to goto distant planet or stadium 2. There are already better options available for them.

The water on the left side of distant discourages camping the walkoff, the items discourage camping the walkoff (and if you think they are strong, go use them. Holding an item is just a disadvantage anyways when your options are throw or not.) and more deaths occur from that side platform whisking away people on Frigate Orpheon than the bulborb (since, you know, its predictable and avoidable).

Its also an interesting stage because of the bounce. It hurts some characters but creates some interesting options for others (pst, you can bounce the level to mess up Meta's glide and cause him to lag with a normal landing).

I do admit that standing infinites are lame... and slow. However, how is taking away the ICs chainthrows (which, by the way, the ICs were never dominating houston when they existed, in fact we've always had more Falcos than ICs) helping anyone have more of a chance? DDD still gets his chainthrow. Falco gets his (which leads into a spike and easy gimps).

Yeah, I understand one grab can mean a stock against ICs. But they are SO easy to counterpick against that its ridiculous. Hell, I don't even PLAY ICs and I'm fighting for their infinite. Jab lock is the same thing... its because you didn't tech. That's punishing for a mistake.

Trying to create "fair" rules is admirable, but trying to somehow make a game that isn't balanced perfect is a wasted effort. You're just gimping everyone in the long run for some kids who didn't want to play on a certain stage because they deemed it lame while hurting the people who invested the time into actually wanting to expand the metagame (to more than, you know, 5 characters).

Oh, and please explain to me how a stage with walls to infinite, on, can be fallen through, promotes camping and one transformation has a spinning wall o doom is any more 'neutral' than lylat which people don't like because it tilts.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
depends on where you live arcane
and how much gas money you've got lolz

gea when i read your posts i think you should apply for membership into the back room :)

xyro, i understand where you're coming from on everything (hell we kinda talked about it at my house the other day) but even though i hate to admit it sometimes Gea, RT, Hylian and some of the others are right about the infinites, distant planet, etc. Most of those moves require good skill to use. Yes, it sucks when you get hit by them but it's nothing unavoidable or that can't be overcome.'

back to me smashfest, i would like to get confirmed yes or no's from people that are and aren't coming. my friend would like a bit more definite response if you know what im sayin.

The Drink Station
8209 Broadway St,
Pearland, TX 77581-7896

DIRECTIONS:

Coming from the North (most of you):

Take I-45 south to 288, then take 288 south to pearland (518).
Take a left on 518, and keep going to down just a little past cullen, and it should be in a strip center on your left.

Coming from the South:

Take I-45 north to the beltway (or sam houston tollway, whateva) and take the beltway west.
Exit at either pearland pkwy or telephone rd (either one will work) and take a left.
When you get to 518, take a right, and follow it 'til you're nearly at cullen.
Strip center will be on your right

We may need a couple set ups. Not a massive amount. Just a couple.

Awesome
Stiltz, popertop, kown, and TGM have all mentioned coming
Possibly onii-chan, arcane, and more.
I'd like to see a decent number show to this.

ALSO:
I talked to axxo about possibly having a smashfest at his place next week.
Probably either monday or tuesday.
Would anyone be able to make that?

Epic

tonyrulz92

Smash Apprentice
What hylain doesnt get, i care about houston. I make the rules the way i do because i like to see new faces and i like to welcome new players into this game. I dont want people jumping into thier first tourney experience only to be wall infinited or ICG by ICs or wobbled in melee. If i didnt ban the stuff it would be abused. Unlike SBR, im out to help the "little people" while still respecting the pros. If a pro cant handle that PKMN2 and distant planet being banned.......they can go suck a D***. They get thier metaknight and snake.
I love Xyro now.:):)

For you guys that frequent our tourneys, what time do yall usually get there? I wanna get there the same time yall do so i can you know, make some friends, see the tourney set up process, play a few friendlies, get in your heads... <.< >.>
:dizzy:^^^^^^^^^:dizzy:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yes, more smashfest is good. :)

I will definitely be coming to the one Thursday and will probably bring two people or so.

Esca

Smash Champion
What hylain doesnt get, i care about houston. I make the rules the way i do because i like to see new faces and i like to welcome new players into this game. I dont want people jumping into thier first tourney experience only to be wall infinited or ICG by ICs or wobbled in melee. If i didnt ban the stuff it would be abused. Unlike SBR, im out to help the "little people" while still respecting the pros. If a pro cant handle that PKMN2 and distant planet being banned.......they can go suck a D***. They get thier metaknight and snake.
A little tear just fell down my face. Just one though. Thanks Xyro, I know you have alot of people flaming on you, or arguments, nonetheless, and I just want to say thanks for hosting such good tournaments.

PS: DONT MESS WITH THE DAEWOO LAMOS, MOTHERFUCCKER!

EDIT: Guys, next Wednesday, I'm having a smashfest at my house. You can stay the night sincce I'm in Butt-mont. We have food and drinks, and if your not satisfied with my food, we have every fast food restaurant within 5 miles. Also I can fit 15 people or so in my living room alone, with room to breathe. If anyone from Houston is interested, please please come, and bring people. We have 5 that will be here already, possibly 7.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Come on people let's go to this. This is a venue willing to have a smashfest free of charge so let's show support. I'll be bringing a set up (finally got my T.V back). I REALLY need to practice for the tourney this saturday, I've probably played a total of 3 or 4 hours since the last hobo.

If anybody needs a ride in the eastern to southeastern area of Houston, contact me and we'll see what we can work out.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
Come on people let's go to this. This is a venue willing to have a smashfest free of charge so let's show support. I'll be bringing a set up (finally got my T.V back). I REALLY need to practice for the tourney this saturday, I've probably played a total of 3 or 4 hours since the last hobo.

If anybody needs a ride in the eastern to southeastern area of Houston, contact me and we'll see what we can work out.
awesome
i've been waiting to play you anyway i don't think i've gotten to play you even once lol
the more the merrier

and even though the smashfest is free
please please PLEASE buy the drinks
they're amazing, and help us show support of this awesome venue
maybe they'll do these more often if we buy teh drinks :D

kailo34ce

Smash Lord

im so so so so so afraid of campers and onett is camp town is all

so like yuh...i dont enjoy camping..an im not dissing you or anything but you camp edges all day

xyros tourn xyros rules..but hey,if we play in tourny again you can pick whichever stage you want..my ban is raindow ;)

Doxa

Smash Rookie
count me in for the smashfest at the drink station. I'll bring a setup, I've rarely played in the past several weeks so I need to start practicing soon.

Hylian, next time you're in Houston drop a note, I'd like to play your GaW and see how I can improve mine.

kown

Smash Lord
awesome
i've been waiting to play you anyway i don't think i've gotten to play you even once lol
the more the merrier

and even though the smashfest is free
please please PLEASE buy the drinks
they're amazing, and help us show support of this awesome venue
maybe they'll do these more often if we buy teh drinks :D
okay so this might so dumb but wtvr.
can i go if im not 21?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
hmm... to be honest, I've grown accustomed to Ice Climber's Infinites being banned, because it discourages other people from maining (alts don't count IMO) them, so I feel like I can call Ice Climbers my character :p I don't like the idea of a bunch of new IC users running around Houston xD. I <3 my Ice Climbers.

And there's the fact that if their chain grabs become unbanned then I'll instantly place a lot higher in Houston tournys :p For now it's fun working my way up with them.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Characters who don't need help already have more than one stage each to counterpick to as it is. These stages also help other characters sometimes you know, combat the other player. I don't know of a snake, meta, or DDD that is dying to goto distant planet or stadium 2. There are already better options available for them.

The water on the left side of distant discourages camping the walkoff, the items discourage camping the walkoff (and if you think they are strong, go use them. Holding an item is just a disadvantage anyways when your options are throw or not.) and more deaths occur from that side platform whisking away people on Frigate Orpheon than the bulborb (since, you know, its predictable and avoidable).

Its also an interesting stage because of the bounce. It hurts some characters but creates some interesting options for others (pst, you can bounce the level to mess up Meta's glide and cause him to lag with a normal landing).

I do admit that standing infinites are lame... and slow. However, how is taking away the ICs chainthrows (which, by the way, the ICs were never dominating houston when they existed, in fact we've always had more Falcos than ICs) helping anyone have more of a chance? DDD still gets his chainthrow. Falco gets his (which leads into a spike and easy gimps).

Yeah, I understand one grab can mean a stock against ICs. But they are SO easy to counterpick against that its ridiculous. Hell, I don't even PLAY ICs and I'm fighting for their infinite. Jab lock is the same thing... its because you didn't tech. That's punishing for a mistake.

Trying to create "fair" rules is admirable, but trying to somehow make a game that isn't balanced perfect is a wasted effort. You're just gimping everyone in the long run for some kids who didn't want to play on a certain stage because they deemed it lame while hurting the people who invested the time into actually wanting to expand the metagame (to more than, you know, 5 characters).

Oh, and please explain to me how a stage with walls to infinite, on, can be fallen through, promotes camping and one transformation has a spinning wall o doom is any more 'neutral' than lylat which people don't like because it tilts.
These kinds of posts get you into the Backroom >_>.

And thanks for listening TGM.

Esca

Smash Champion
Guys.

I'm having a smashfest NEXT wednesday. Please do come. I have plenty of room for housing, plenty of food for all of you fat people, and plenty of drinks to quench your thirst. I need to get practice in bad. I'm even willing to pay for some of your gas to come down to buttmont. We have a couple of new smashers (3) and i want to show them the competition outside of beaumont. We need your help. Next wednesday. please.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
Guys.

I'm having a smashfest NEXT wednesday. Please do come. I have plenty of room for housing, plenty of food for all of you fat people, and plenty of drinks to quench your thirst. I need to get practice in bad. I'm even willing to pay for some of your gas to come down to buttmont. We have a couple of new smashers (3) and i want to show them the competition outside of beaumont. We need your help. Next wednesday. please.
if you can provide gas, and i'm not busy the next day, that sounds epic.

i may be busy packing for college but if i'm not i'm in :D

Esca

Smash Champion
i'll give you like 20 dollars for gas man. I'm so desperate to play. I can house, like i said, about 15 people in just one room. I have a gigantic non-lag tv, and i have 3 other tv's that are over 30 in. I can have all the food and stuff also.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Guys.

I'm having a smashfest NEXT wednesday. Please do come. I have plenty of room for housing, plenty of food for all of you fat people, and plenty of drinks to quench your thirst. I need to get practice in bed. I'm even willing to pay for some of your gas to come down to buttmont. We have a couple of new smashers (3) and i want to show them the competition outside of beaumont. We need your help. Next wednesday. please.
fix'd and LOL
Also, I'm coming to your smashfest next week, I have rehearsal on thursday so I'm moving in Wednesday. I'll be able to drop by for the later half of the fest and spend the night. :)

Arcane, pm your address I can probably pick you up I dunno.
If Keith ends up picking you up then he could grab me on the way back, so that would work.
>.< I don't wanna drive >.<'
*waves arms wildly*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom