• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I demand that practicing the ICG's against Marth be banned. Or ban grabbing me in mid-jump >.<
lol, marth counters ICs though :p He's one of the easier characters to space with against ICs, that's why I lost my first match in my set against that Kuno person at HOBO 8 when he used marth.

Short hop Fair towards them, then back away during that same hope and use Fair away, it works.

Gea

Smash Master
With the new strike system you can rule out FD ever coming up first round... Or any stage that you feel like ICs dominate on. So its already your advantage there to some degree with careful planning.

Then, you get a stage ban, so use that wisely.

Assuming you win the first one against ICs and lose the second, its still heavily in your advantage as there are PLENTY of anti-IC stages out there (norfair, Japes, cruise, brinstar, Mario Circuit, Port Town...) that basically is either a free win or forces your opponent to pick another character against you.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
lol, marth counters ICs though :p He's one of the easier characters to space with against ICs, that's why I lost my first match in my set against that Kuno person at HOBO 8 when he used marth.

Short hop Fair towards them, then back away during that same hope and use Fair away, it works.
that's assuming that my opponent is a dolt who can't shield a fair then run over and grab during my landing lag >.<

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
I support SBR ruleset
However, since allan IS the one running the tournaments, i support his decisions
Therefore i support two things that contradict one another and am a paradox

If I was ROB i would explode lolz

Esca

Smash Champion
Dude, Hylian. I forgot that my wii likes other wii's of the same sex. The fan broke on it, so i can barely play, it shut off on me. =[ Good matches though, i likezz yo dribblin' skillz. : )

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Dude, Hylian. I forgot that my wii likes other wii's of the same sex. The fan broke on it, so i can barely play, it shut off on me. =[ Good matches though, i likezz yo dribblin' skillz. : )
Oh lol.

Yeah you got to taste a little of my new character :).

KRDsonic

Smash Master
that's assuming that my opponent is a dolt who can't shield a fair then run over and grab during my landing lag >.<
That's why you space it >.> and that's what the Fair while you're going backwards is for, so they don't have the chance to run up and grab you. If you use the Fairs the way I told you then the Ice Climbers will be forced to either run up and shielf and eventually push you torwards the edge or use an Ice Block, since you can stay away from their blizards with that strat, and their range isn't long enough to approach you with a normal attack. From my experiences, it's one of the best defensive games marth can have against Ice Climbers. And remember, since the ICs will start expecting the Fairs you can change up your game and catch them off guard with something else.

And the point isn't to run up and hit with the Fair, but to keep them from running up and grabbing you, and chances are the first few times they'll run into it anyways.

Esca

Smash Champion
I looovee diddy kong. Hey hylian, you wanna see a diddy tech chain grab thing i've found, go look on my you-tube account. It's sonoguasto09.

Edit: KRD, its not so much that take is bad against ice climbers, it's that i know what he's going to do.

Esca

Smash Champion
I play him in real life. He only lives about 6 minutes away. I've found ways to 0-to-death, k0 at 80%, you know, all the fun IC stuff.

EDIT: Also, i've found a way more fool-proof way to grab with the IC's. After bthrow-ing to nana, i dthrow, and get popo to dash to pivot grab. Also on my youtube channel.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I play him in real life. He only lives about 6 minutes away. I've found ways to 0-to-death, k0 at 80%, you know, all the fun IC stuff.
I always forget about the 0-deaths xD. Since when I brawl against my neighbor I use xyro's chain grab rules. Been a long time since I've chain grabbed past 3 grabs without doing the Fair to Ice Block, which my neighbor can now tech. I personally have been trying not to rely on chain grabs much anymore since I mess them up so much :/

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I looovee diddy kong. Hey hylian, you wanna see a diddy tech chain grab thing i've found, go look on my you-tube account. It's sonoguasto09.

Edit: KRD, its not so much that take is bad against ice climbers, it's that i know what he's going to do.
Let me guess first, Glide Toss --> Grab Bthrow ---> Grab nana behind you and throw it at them. Repeat.

Works well on Snake.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
screw diddy,

I tried him for 30 mins and got tired of him, i'll most likely never touch him again.

glide tossing was fun for the moment though :)

Cesar(WTF!)

Smash Apprentice
I will use the SBR rule set but a few things i will never change. pkmn 2 and distant planet and mario raceway will be banned. face it.

im making the change now.

Oh and the SBR left the rules to where TOs can change it, and i did.

By the way,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG3SANQZNwM
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGeYgtQZa1o&NR=1
alllan check the edited ending on this one(btw its the same footage as the second link you posted but with a way better ending):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OJ9s6LXhA8&feature=related

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I will use the SBR rule set but a few things i will never change. pkmn 2 and distant planet and mario raceway will be banned. face it.

By the way,

or
I'm pretty sure the SBR meant that you could make choices for the stages that they could not easily classify, not take a stage that had a good majority of the votes and change it for no apparent reason, as supported by this post.

Most important though is that we want to give TOs options. The SBR, while a good group, is not perfect. The fact that we have stages in neutral/counterpick and counterpick/banned categories shows that we have differing philosophies. Often times we all agree nearly unianimously; this leads to a 2/3 majority that cements a stage. Otherwise, we place it in a halfway category and leave it up to the TO. If we can't come to a 2/3 consensus, how could we tell a TO what to do simply because we had a vote or two more in a certain category?
I still don't understand why you would ban PS2. Mario Raceway, fine. Distant Planet, I'll even give you that since it barely had 2/3 of the votes. But PS2? It had 21 votes for counter and only had a whopping 2 votes for ban. There's not much doubt whether it's counter or banned. Counter clearly won. The only possible reason would be that you don't like the stage and that's a very poor reason. But if that's how it's going to be, then so be it...I'm done aruging and you seem determined in your decision. But if you could please give me some insight as to why you want it banned, I would appreciate it. :)

Also, Gnes, if you want a ride to CesarWTF's smashfest tomorrow, let me know. I'm not sure what time I'll go, so PM me your cell phone number!

onii-chan

Smash Ace

By the way,

or
alllan check the edited ending on this one(btw its the same footage as the second link you posted but with a way better ending):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OJ9s6LXhA8&feature=related

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
i LOL'd hard on all...

feast your eyes upon old greg...this is too hilarious...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wcfxOcQjkY&feature=related

or get some whitest kids y'know into your system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUbW1xU8c0

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'm pretty sure the SBR meant that you could make choices for the stages that they could not easily classify, not take a stage that had a good majority of the votes and change it for no apparent reason, as supported by this post.

I still don't understand why you would ban PS2. Mario Raceway, fine. Distant Planet, I'll even give you that since it barely had 2/3 of the votes. But PS2? It had 21 votes for counter and only had a whopping 2 votes for ban. There's not much doubt whether it's counter or banned. Counter clearly won. The only possible reason would be that you don't like the stage and that's a very poor reason. But if that's how it's going to be, then so be it...I'm done aruging and you seem determined in your decision. But if you could please give me some insight as to why you want it banned, I would appreciate it. :)

Also, Gnes, if you want a ride to CesarWTF's smashfest tomorrow, let me know. I'm not sure what time I'll go, so PM me your cell phone number!
SBR meant what they said about how you can adjust the rules.......they said adjust....and i did. PERIOD. And to be all honest with you, the SBR isnt the smartest group around(allowing wobbling in melee and infinite sin brawl) so im glad i dont HAVE to follow what they say TO THE DOT.

PKMN2 has some of the best graphics and music of ALL the brawl stages in the game. I personally have always wanted that stage to be playable.

However.............

ICE transformation:

1.it now makes ALL dash attacks go across the stage. for some characters this give a huge advanage too.

2.While sliding on the ice, have you ever tried to turn around? Yea, you cant. this doesnt help ANYBODY.

WIND transformation:

1. the wind messes up jumps it makes them higher than they should be. this messes with chars who need short hops alot.

2. The gravity of that transformation messes up everybody but gives advatages to others becuase it keeps you in the air for so long....luigi is an example...who relies on air combos

3. wind pkmn suck

ROCK transformation:

1. i like it. The diglets are cute

BELT transformation

1. Do i really need to explain this one?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
SBR meant what they said about how you can adjust the rules.......they said adjust....and i did. PERIOD. And to be all honest with you, the SBR isnt the smartest group around(allowing wobbling in melee and infinite sin brawl) so im glad i dont HAVE to follow what they say TO THE DOT.

PKMN2 has some of the best graphics and music of ALL the brawl stages in the game. I personally have always wanted that stage to be playable.

However.............

ICE transformation:

1.it now makes ALL dash attacks go across the stage. for some characters this give a huge advanage too.

2.While sliding on the ice, have you ever tried to turn around? Yea, you cant. this doesnt help ANYBODY.

WIND transformation:

1. the wind messes up jumps it makes them higher than they should be. this messes with chars who need short hops alot.

2. The gravity of that transformation messes up everybody but gives advatages to others becuase it keeps you in the air for so long....luigi is an example...who relies on air combos

3. wind pkmn suck

ROCK transformation:

1. i like it. The diglets are cute

BELT transformation

1. Do i really need to explain this one?
You are wrong. The ONLY thing that is flexible with the ruleset is the stages with asteriks and the optional rules. You can't argue with me on that.

You are just sheltering your community because of your own dislikes. You completly disreguard the words of people who have worked hard to benifit and better the community as a whole.

You even disreguard the people in your own city. SEVERAL people in houston have said they want to use a SBR certified ruleset. Zero have said they do not want to use the SBR ruleset.

Right now it's obvious you are just impeding your personal preference on Houston, rather then listening to them and accepting the community standard.

TL;DR: This game has some gay ****. Get over it.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i completely understand and i dont want to argue hylian personally though
ill be the first to say,i do not want to use sbr rules

im not siding with or against anyone..

tgm rules > sbr rules

im proud of his wise desicions tbh

onii-chan

Smash Ace
i have the same feelings as you kalo "i don't wanna agrue with hylian" and i also don't like the SBR ruleset, as you said yourself hylian, xyro can decide his rules for his tourneys...or something close to that...

My Name is Onii-Chan and i approve this message...

XYROS RULESET RULES!

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Can someone link me to the SBR rules?

also, while those reasons make the stage sound fairly gay, I'm begining to question why i banned it. I think it had to do with the wind stage making flying characters able to stall, or something I heard.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Honestly, Hylian, you're too pushy with this. He's not even required to use the SBR ruleset, and I am glad that he has made the changes he did. Some of the points you make are valid, but you are making it out to be worse than it really is. The only topic I think is worth debating at this point are the jab/wall locks/infinites, and that should be talked about reasonably instead of schoolyard arguing.

If he doesn't want to use PS2, we can try to convince him why he should while being reasonable and respectful, but that's it. There's no reason to freak out if he does not follow the same guidelines as many of the SBR members. There are differences in opinion even within the SBR, as shown by the many stages that are in 2 categories (hell, I think only one stage actually got a 100% vote!).

Imagine if you ran a tournament and OS came into your thread getting pissed because you didn't use Skyworld, Hanenbow, etc.

Thanks for re-evaluating those stages Xyro. I look forward to playing them at the next HOBO.

By the way, do you have a limit on wall/laser locks, or do you outright ban them?

Kyle: it's stickied in the Tourney Discussion.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i have the same feelings as you kalo "i don't wanna agrue with hylian" and i also don't like the SBR ruleset, as you said yourself hylian, xyro can decide his rules for his tourneys...or something close to that...

My Name is Onii-Chan and i approve this message...

XYROS RULESET RULES!

as do i approve

Cesar(WTF!)

Smash Apprentice
guys bad news

I won't be able to host the smashfest I told you about tomorrow, some unfortunate things are happening and I'm have to take care of some important stuff

once again I apologize for canceling this before the day it was supposed to happen :(

Xyro77

SBR said:
This list is not meant to be copied and pasted, but instead copied and adjusted to fit each tournaments situation (time limits, regional philosophies, etc.). .
and if you look at thier list and then look at mine. there are hardly any changes concering the stages. ive added bans on BROKEN techs which is unerstand able. And if you dont like, lz go talk to some one who cares because i dont.

What hylain doesnt get, i care about houston. I make the rules the way i do because i like to see new faces and i like to welcome new players into this game. I dont want people jumping into thier first tourney experience only to be wall infinited or ICG by ICs or wobbled in melee. If i didnt ban the stuff it would be abused. Unlike SBR, im out to help the "little people" while still respecting the pros. If a pro cant handle that PKMN2 and distant planet being banned.......they can go suck a D***. They get thier metaknight and snake.

Hylian, you do nothing but complain. Untill you have something nice to say, i ask you to please GTFO and dont post here. I went ahead and caved in and moved a **** load of levels to CP like YOU and like HOUSTON wanted. And im done, your never happy unless i fully accept what SBR says. And honestly, over the years ive lost a bit of faith in the SBR. They allow too many things that are just flat out broke. And if you have to ask, then i guess you got more to learn.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
and if you look at thier list and then look at mine. there are hardly any changes concering the stages. ive added bans on BROKEN techs which is unerstand able. And if you dont like, lz go talk to some one who cares because i dont.

What hylain doesnt get, i care about houston. I make the rules the way i do because i like to se enew faces and i liek to get ne wplayers into this game. I dont want people jumping into thier first tourney experience only to be wall infinited or ICG by ICs. If i didnt ban the stuff it would be abused. Unlike SBR, im out to help the "little people" while still respecting the pros. If a pro cant handle that PKMN2 and distant planet being banned.......they can go suck a D***.

Hylian, you do nothing but complain. Untill you have something nice to say, GTFO and dont post here. I went ahead and caved in and moved a **** load of levels to CP like u wanted. And im done, your never happy unless i fully accept what SBR says. And honestly, over the years ive losta bit of faith in the SBR. They allow too many things that are just flat out broke. And if you have to ask, then i guess you got more to learn.
Ok. I don't mean any disrespect by this, I just like to voice my opinion. Its hard for me to take a tournament seriously that doesn't even allow wall infinites.
I will just shut up and host my own tournaments.

And saying all I do is complain is halarious, considering all the spam that goes on.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord

What hylain doesnt get, i care about houston. I make the rules the way i do because i like to see new faces and i like to welcome new players into this game. I dont want people jumping into thier first tourney experience only to be wall infinited or ICG by ICs or wobbled in melee. If i didnt ban the stuff it would be abused. Unlike SBR, im out to help the "little people" while still respecting the pros. If a pro cant handle that PKMN2 and distant planet being banned.......they can go suck a D***. They get thier metaknight and snake.

Hylian, you do nothing but complain. Untill you have something nice to say, i ask you to please GTFO and dont post here. I went ahead and caved in and moved a **** load of levels to CP like YOU and like HOUSTON wanted. And im done, your never happy unless i fully accept what SBR says. And honestly, over the years ive lost a bit of faith in the SBR. They allow too many things that are just flat out broke. And if you have to ask, then i guess you got more to learn.
nobody should even consider distant planet a level..pkmn2 also..wtf gay stages

Xyro77

Ok. I don't mean any disrespect by this, I just like to voice my opinion. Its hard for me to take a tournament seriously that doesn't even allow wall infinites.
I will just shut up and host my own tournaments.

And saying all I do is complain is halarious, considering all the spam that goes on.
Voice an opinion is a good thing but when its COMPLAINING its different. and yes the thread has complaining/spam....from jeremy fiefer and other players who never show up to anything....so i ignore them.

And why would you not take a tournament seriously if it did not allow wall infinites? Thats just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom