• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Late to the party, but:

I approve of Kiara as a name.
Zigsta would too if he just name searched already.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Congratulations, Xyro!!

Sam, Sammi, Sammy, Samantha,

so in your head you can think to yourself, "aw yea. that's my sam............us."

Sharii. (pronounced Sherry)

Or something.

Name her Something. Lol

Gea

Smash Master
Not to beat a dead horse, but Tesh, do you remember when we were talkin' about Melee vs Brawl balance?

Pound V, baby.

1. Dr. PP (Falco)
2. Armada (Peach, YLink)
3. Hungrybox (Jigglypuff)
4. Axe (Pikachu)
5. Hax (C. Falcon)
5. M2K (Fox / Sheik / Marth)

That is a tasty spread.

1: Ally (MK, Snake, ICs)
2: Anti (MK)
3: Seibrik (MK)
4: ESAM (Pika)
5: ADHD (Diddy)
5: UltimateRazer (Snake)

That is not as tasty. Kinda cool that Pika got 4th in both games, though.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
What about it? I don't see anyone in Brawl breaking top 10 with a character a low as Pika is in Melee.
Pikachu is 12th from the top (if Smash Wiki is up to date) in Melee.
Sonic is DOUBLE that from the top in Brawl.

Unless of course, MLG Dallas doesn't exist to you.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, brawl only had 150.. and now next month brawl is having another national thats looking to bring in a good number. Whats going on for melee?

Gea

Smash Master
MLG Dallas also had a few players who place consistently high absent. The highest placing Sonic at Pound was 33rd. I'd also say it was much more difficult to place high at Melee. They had 100 more entrants and three rounds of pools at Pound.

Unless of course you consider all tournaments equal? Go to Genesis and prove me wrong, Espy.

Yea, brawl only had 150.. and now next month brawl is having another national thats looking to bring in a good number. Whats going on for melee?
Remind me to bring up ROM and ask what big Brawl turnout is going on then. Let's compare the turnout of Melee/Brawl during events that actually pander to both crowds. Say, Genesis and Apex?

Suspect

Smash Hero
melee doesnt need to have a national every month especially when they always get people from over seas. Flying from over seas cost alot.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, its much easier when you have to go to much less nationals. Everyone can just save up and go to those huge nationals like genesis and apex. While brawl players go to those, and travel to other regional/nationals throughout the year.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The highest placing Sonic at Pound is also not even considered in the top 3 for Sonic mains. Unless of course, you're legitimately going to argue this while comparing the best Melee Pikachu's results to a non-top 3 Sonic main's results.

In addition, clearly, from your argument, if I went to a convention that somehow managed 300 players in Brawl, it'd be more difficult to place at that convention than it would be at something like a HOBO with only 40 players, because it had higher numbers.

Gotcha.

=====

I also agree with Jerm. Kinda hard to choose events to go to in Brawl in comparison to Melee, since Melee's events are much more spread out than Brawl's.

Gea

Smash Master
So clearly, from your argument, if I went to a convention that somehow managed 300 players in Brawl, it'd be more difficult to place at that convention than it would be at something like a HOBO with only 40 players.

Gotcha.
Judging from the skill of the players that showed? Yes. You're trying to say there weren't good Brawl players there? More top level players showed for Pound than MLG Dallas for Brawl. The only region that had a weak showing at Pound in Brawl was WC, and the difference between the two tournaments that placed high was Larry. Oh and ADHD/M2k from MLG Dallas. Then you and X.

The spread in Melee at Pound is factually better than Brawl's top tournaments and it was the pinnacle of talent.

You guys are ignoring regionals for Melee that happen because guess what? We live in a weak region for Melee. WC, EC, Florida, Georgia, etc have tournaments all the time. How many Brawl tournaments a year break 200? Nationals for Brawl (that aren't dead): Apex, Genesis, Whobo, Winterfest. Nationals for Melee (that aren't dead): Apex, Genesis, ROM, Winterfest.

Edit: Or is Winterfest dead now that last year's drama happened?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fair enough.

Either way, your initial claim is still incorrect.

I don't see anyone in Brawl breaking top 10 with a character a low as Pika is in Melee in tournaments I deem valid.
Now, if you changed it to say that, then I wouldn't have room to object.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Contextually, I was referring to Pound specifically. Unless you are ******** enough to think that all tournaments should be valued equally? Which I know you don't.
Because clearly, they're all the same.
Elementary, my boy.

...so you want me to instead put:

What about it? I don't see anyone in Brawl breaking top 10 with a character a low as Pika is in Melee specifically at Pound 5.
Because really, it's the same deal.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Not to beat a dead horse, but Tesh, do you remember when we were talkin' about Melee vs Brawl balance?

Pound V, baby.

1. Dr. PP (Falco)
2. Armada (Peach, YLink)
3. Hungrybox (Jigglypuff)
4. Axe (Pikachu)
5. Hax (C. Falcon)
5. M2K (Fox / Sheik / Marth)

That is a tasty spread.

1: Ally (MK, Snake, ICs)
2: Anti (MK)
3: Seibrik (MK)
4: ESAM (Pika)
5: ADHD (Diddy)
5: UltimateRazer (Snake)

That is not as tasty. Kinda cool that Pika got 4th in both games, though.
Thats pretty interesting actually. Pikachu is mid tier after all. I heard Armada used YLink just to counter Hbox though.

I do somehwat agree with Espy that having the best of pretty much everything will give u much more diverse results though. Don't know if any amazing players were absent from Melee though. I think MK just kills the balance pretty hard in this game. Not just the matchups, but the way people give up and move on to using a character that deals better with him or MK himself.

@ Xyro, congrats about the fatherhood and all.

As far as HOBO attendance being low, people are probably just less hyped because you host one almost every month. Anyone outside the city can always just say "meh, I'll go to the next one". You still get some pretty amazing numbers for a monthly event though (70 people at hobo 26?). Past few months have had a bunch of major tournaments that alot of people would prioritize because there is only one chance to go to them.

Gea

Smash Master
Armada did indeed use YLink vs Jiggs specifically, just like Ally used ICs for a specific purpose in Brawl. It takes dedication to use a wildcard secondary for a specific matchup. Props to both players for taking the time to learn multiple characters.

Actually, what you are saying (winning characters influence who others use) is definitely true of both games. Sheik isn't seen nearly as much in Melee because of her struggle with space animals, and Jiggs would have a more difficult time if characters like Doc and Y Link were more common. It is what it is. But Pika (and sonic in brawl, definitely) have plenty of bad or not exactly good matchups that frequently appear. That's what makes their wins so inspiring.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's more of a matter of you looking at it too hard, Gea. I don't see a problem anymore. Everything's been taken care of.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
As far as HOBO attendance being low, people are probably just less hyped because you host one almost every month. Anyone outside the city can always just say "meh, I'll go to the next one".
I disagree. The last HOBO lee/hyro....ect went to was hobo 27. These guys used to be considered "regulars" but now dont show up anymore and have not shown interest in HOBO since then.

Had i not done what ive been doing i guarantee you that Tx's players/Houston's players would not be where they are today. Its the constant practice in a "tournament environment" aka HOBO that has made us the best state in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom